Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels

S13 Rack Conversion

Started by ferret · Aug 12, 2005 · 70postsSMF 2010–26

ArroSep 30, 2008, 5:52 pm · #51

Wasn't there a Nissan parts catalog recently posted that had all the info?

Grrr I just searched around, so far can't find it... it was a website with a data tree you could open sections to. If someone manages to find what I apparently cannot, I'll pin it in General.

IggyEGuanaOct 1, 2008, 2:12 am · #52
http://www.nissanpartsdirect.com/oempartsc...amp;catalogid=1

lost it in my favs but i found it.  think thats what ur lookin for

linking for it sucks.  cant link specific points in the menu.  list ONLY manual rack (steering gear/housing/blah) for 84 AND 85.  Power for 86 on.  Not accurate by any means.
ArroOct 1, 2008, 2:15 am · #53

That looks suspiciously like a manual steering rack:

posted image

It may not be accurate but it's better than anything else out there, and it seems to support the RHD rack claims that Umai is talking about. The question is, are these North American parts or world parts (and only RHD)?

nismologistOct 17, 2008, 10:51 pm · #54

this wont work on u.s cars??

Radracer_SOct 29, 2008, 1:07 am · #55

Only 83 late 200sx had manual racks, not 84s as mine's an 84 with PS. I've seen em. Very rare indeed.

ArroOct 29, 2008, 1:12 am · #56

My friend's S110 has the rack you're talking about, marvin. It looks weird, and doesn't even point in the right direction, I can't imagine it working with our S12 chassis.

200sxkitcarOct 29, 2008, 2:44 am · #57

I think marvin is talking about one he saw in Japan.

I've searched for YEARS for a north american manual car- both Canada and US, which has turned up nothing.

One source claimed everything was set up, but no manual cars were ever imported here.

for more details on the manual rack, check my build thread.

I've not read but the last page of this thread, so dunno how this affects 'S13 Rack Conversion.'

I have seen on Zilvia I think it was an aftermarket quick-ratio manual steering rack for S13's.  you may choose to hunt there.

nismologistOct 29, 2008, 5:07 am · #58

im asking can i replace my ps rack with and s13 rack??

Umai NaaOct 31, 2008, 9:32 am · #59

With the modifications outlined in this thread, yes you can.

kyskaterFeb 25, 2009, 10:04 am · #60

so can i use a bushing for a s13 on my s12 rack?

gadget1382Feb 25, 2009, 3:33 pm · #61

Yup. well kinda... one is identicle and the other is different. You need both to be right / correct, otherwise the rack will move around.

kyskaterMar 13, 2009, 4:28 pm · #62

so what all exactally do i need for this swap? also is the s12 shaft usable? if so what all exactlly do i need to do to it?

rageMar 13, 2009, 4:47 pm · #63

get all the tierods
and get the s13 shaft coupler to be sure

kyskaterMar 13, 2009, 4:57 pm · #64

soo i need
- rack
-tierods
-bushings
and the shaft coupler... is that the part that the colum slides into?
is this all

Umai NaaMar 14, 2009, 3:46 am · #65

Go back to the first post in this thread. It's all listed there.

kyskaterMar 14, 2009, 4:46 am · #66

i did i red it three times but there is all kinds of stuff saying you can / cant use the s12 stuff with only the rack from the s13

nismo_200sxFeb 10, 2012, 8:35 pm · #67

What if I completely dropped my s12 front subframe and rack to put in an s13 subframe and rack would that work/bolt up?

pakii-afaJul 23, 2012, 7:48 am · #68
nismo_200sx on 08:35:55 PM / 10-Feb-12What if I completely dropped my s12 front subframe and rack to put in an s13 subframe and rack would that work/bolt up?

i am wondering the same thing.. anyone?
I_heart_VVLJul 23, 2012, 11:33 am · #69
pakii-afa on 07:48:19 AM / 23-Jul-12i am wondering the same thing.. anyone?

you have to cut and weld the S13 steering shaft spline onto your stock steering shaft.
pakii-afaJul 23, 2012, 10:07 pm · #70

thats it? other than that its bolt up? seems to easy to be true lol