87S12NotchI just finished this mod and it made a world of difference to my tired engine. It revs soo much freer through the rpms and now it doesn't seem to fall off as bad over 4k. I did what Indecisive said to do as I have an 87 and it worked perfect the first time.
this mod gets 5/5 in my books.
If your engine is an '85 and older you can just do a jumper wire between the two coils black with white tracer wires and you're done.
Here's how it was done since no one has a detailed write up on it posted anymore...
First you need to remove your air box (or filter if you have an after market one like me). Take the rubber elbow off as well that connects from the MAF to the metal pipe that runs over the rad. I disconnected the MAF sensor from the harness (just 2 plastic connectors) to get it out of my way so I had a little more room, you don't have to do this but I like to have room to work.
Next, on the 86 and newer (if I'm wrong please correct me) CA20E's you can't just simply bridge the 2 positive (black with white tracer) wires as they have a built in transistor. What you'll have to do is cut the black with a white tracer on the secondary coil (secondary coil is the one closest to the engine mounted vertically), then run an extention from that wire to the black with a white tracer on the primary coil. Don't cut the wire on the primary coil, just strip the shielding back to expose the wire. Now tie the extended wire from the secondary coil to the now stripped back primary wire.
Soldering is the best way to seal all your splices but if you can't don't worry. I used crimp connectors and they work great. Just make sure that after you're done that everything is sealed up good and tight. I used electrical tape and made sure everything was covered well.
Now just put everything back together and take it for a test drive. You may or may not feel the difference but now you'll have all 8 plugs firing at all times and at all RPMs.
Thats all there is to it.
Well I followed this with my 86 and now it wont start. I really need help on this one. I cut the secondary black/whit wire, then attached an extension from the plug end( shoud i have connected the extension to the transistor end instead), When i go to fire it up it'll try to turn over a few times and then just stop.
Can someone please help me?