Browse › Engines ›CA18DET

18det S12 Swap Guide

Started by craigcd · Jun 11, 2004 · 68postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

SHIFT_LOVEMar 23, 2008, 1:13 am · #51

THE ONLY WIRING DIAGRAM THAT HAS SEEMED TO WORK FOR ME YAY!!!...and i thought keith was the god of s12's

KeithMar 23, 2008, 1:19 pm · #52
SHIFT_LOVE
and i thought keith was the god of s12's
Thats a pretty bad assumption
KeithMar 23, 2008, 6:19 pm · #53
SHIFT_LOVE @ Mar 23 2008, 06:13 AM
and i thought keith was the god of s12's

Thats a pretty bad assumption laugh.gif
krazy skwerelMay 15, 2008, 11:54 pm · #54

Ok so if I use my stock ca18et tranny I wont have to switch drive shafts or make special mounts for my mk1?

KustamogenJul 16, 2009, 9:47 pm · #55

what gauge wire did you guys use from the relays? just 16 gauge?

Phisherman09Jul 16, 2009, 11:42 pm · #56
Kustamogenwhat gauge wire did you guys use from the relays? just 16 gauge?
i would recommend at least a 16 gauge wire. i actually wired mine exactly like the KA swap, not using any extra relays. alot easier IMO.
five10freakJul 17, 2009, 8:50 am · #57

how similar is the CA18DET wiring to the CA18ET wiring. most of you know i'm redoing the ET swap in my 510, and the PO did a butcher job on the wiring causing me to get a new engine harness.

i'm trying to figure out if the relay diagrams i see here would work in my application.

mrjacobwhoSep 23, 2010, 12:44 pm · #58

I'm definately considering this swap. My ca18et started knocking and I'm sure it's in the bottom end, like the rods. So, instead of buying the same-old SOHC, non-intercooled engine, I'm upgrading. Of course, I considered the sr, but this would be cheaper and easier. From what I've read, I can use my mounts and my tranny. So, I may not even have to pull out the tranny. I'll keep you guys updated when I actually start the swap. I just started working again, and the pay isn't the best.. Hah But, in order for me to get out of my father's house, I need a car. So this is my primary focus.

Don't most of the JDM engines purchased from websites come with eveything you need? Not the intercooler, radiator or exhaust, but the harness, ignitor, manifolds and all? Thanks for the write-up. I'm glad you guys think about us who don't know much about this car, other than what we've read. I'm used to messing with a Jeep 4.0L and learning from my dad. Haha

TsumaNov 10, 2010, 9:02 am · #59

For the front S13 driveshaft, does it have to be from a manual or can it be one from an auto?

I found an auto to manual swap guide for an S13 and you have to swap driveshafts, so I would assume they're different and we need the one from a manual, yes?

newby200sxJun 27, 2011, 1:11 pm · #60

guys i have a question im almost done with  my cadet swap in my 88 ca20e s12,
the swap guide says this "blue wire on the s12 harness goes to the black/blue/red wire on the 18det harness, this is the main ignition power

what blue wire? kuz theres a few blue wires i cant figure out which one and than it says black blue red wire i cant find that color wire on the cadet harness guys im really lost as of now pics would be great


Post Merge: 01:15:27 PM / 27-Jun-11
also guys i found the wire on the cadet that is for the neutral switch but i cant find it on my s12 harness is it because my car is a 5 speed?
ProlowtoneJun 27, 2011, 1:28 pm · #61

Netural safety switch is at the top clutch pedal. if you can, just trace the wire to where you need it.

newby200sxJun 27, 2011, 2:11 pm · #62

awsome man thanks do you have an idea on the other wires dude? kuz the engine cranks but wont start


Post Merge: 06:31:17 PM / 27-Jun-11
anbody?
ProlowtoneJun 28, 2011, 4:40 am · #63

I think we need pics or know what wire is going where.. have you tested any for power?

Van_DentonJun 25, 2014, 3:58 pm · #64

hi there,

Got a bit of a problem with wiring the fuel pump relay. When I turn the ignition on nothing happens, the  fuel pump doesn't prime. If I swap the black/pink wire with an earth it works but obviously stays on. If I take a multimeter and attach the negative to the black/pink  and positive  to 12v I get nothing. So the ecu isn't switching to earth. Any ideas? Bad ecu? Ecu btw has power lights on.

Any help would be appreciated.

sideways_s12Jun 25, 2014, 8:04 pm · #65

Something is wrong ong in the wiring trace the wires and see if you can find the problem if not them check the fp pin on the ecu and see if it is there.

Van_DentonJun 26, 2014, 2:42 am · #66

Thanks, yeah this is what  I was planning to do tomo, pin 18 on the ecu I think. Is my thinking correct? I should see 12v across the circuit - black/pink- to 12v? so 12v goes through the ecu when it primes?

Figured it out, previous owner hadn't screwed in the ecu connector block all the way in!

sideways_s12Jul 14, 2014, 3:39 am · #67

Lol nice well at least it was easy

JuhziOct 9, 2017, 3:08 pm · #68

Hello from Finland. I try to do wirings to my S12 with these instructions. Biggest problem is power transistor unit(ignitor). PTU connectors are engine loom harness, not engine harness. My car is lhd.