Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels

How To: S13 Coilovers

Started by asparagus · Jul 17, 2007 · 104postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

Bryan PetersApr 10, 2010, 10:24 am · #51

you dont need a chain if you have one of these,i got my suspension out in 10min.
not to be bragin im just saying its quicker.posted image

12dave12Apr 22, 2010, 12:35 pm · #52
Bryan Peters
you dont need a chain if you have one of these,i got my suspension out in 10min.
not to be bragin im just saying its quicker.posted image
so what is "one of these" called?
Bryan PetersApr 29, 2010, 7:50 am · #53

I call it a ball joint remover,cheap princess auto tool.

therepokidMay 19, 2010, 6:45 pm · #54

Can you just use the s13 rear coilovers?  Or is there a lot of modification that is needed for them to fit?

JRaubNov 18, 2010, 12:27 am · #55
12dave12 on 12:35:37 PM / 22-Apr-10so what is "one of these" called?


I have only seen the fork style ball joint removers never seen one like that before. However I do have to say its a rather clever tool. I haven't seen any that looks like that any tool stores either.

Anyways I was thinking the same thing about the welding the castle nut to the tie rod. I was also thinking about getting some bar stock the length I need it. Drill it out and tap it to thread the tie rods ends into it. Anyone know how much longer or shorter it would need to be. This could possibly be a little cheaper. I don't know yet. I will have to get in there. Then if need be I can shorten or lengthen them.

I have a little bit of fabrication background. I just need to have an idea of what im doing before I dig into buying raw materials and trying to do this or that. Im just making a list on what I will need to do this conversion.

I want to run this suspension set up.

http://www.meganracingperformance.com/8488-nissan-200sx-coilover-damper-kit-street-series-megan-rac-p-186376.html

Now being that I already have the Independent rear suspension do I need to convert over to the s13. It says I only need the front conversion. Anyone have any more advice to this?
JayNov 18, 2010, 5:28 am · #56

Welding the castle nut is bad juju. If you car were to ever break a tie rod or ball joint at the track or on the street you would be beyond screwed. I have a plasma cutter and would never consider it due to the fact that it would be very easy to damage the knuckle having to cut it off. Plus, the taper of the S12 outer tie rods and the S13 knuckle's receptor are not the same.

With the megan kit, you only need the front S13 hub assemblies with brakes, rotors, and an S13 ball joint pressed into your S12 arm. I have resolved the tie rod issue and have a cheaper solution than the A1 setup, with no tapping, cutting, welding, etc. Factory style regreasable stuff. No heim joints to corrode. 100 bucks shipped for both inner, and outer tie rod ends.

And as a side note, I can't stand that style ball joint/tie rod end remover. I have yet to not break one. I'll take my pickle fork and 3lb maul any day of the week. Never had a ball joint or tie rod end take more than two swings.

JRaubNov 18, 2010, 12:12 pm · #57

Well I wasnt going to weld it to the knuckle. That would be pretty dumb. I was just talking about a tack on the castle nut to the tie rod end.

But I can get bar stock here locally drill it out on the ends then tap it for the tie rod ends so they would be the correct length. Then I can get them powder coated for like 20$ from a buddy of mine. Which I dont think it would be too terribly bad of an idea.

Like I said I just need to know what piece doesnt line up. I have the ability to make virtually any part I really need. Your only limited by your imagination, amount of money, and skill with a CAD program. If you have lots of the before mentioned things. Well then you have almost limitless possibilities.

JayNov 18, 2010, 1:37 pm · #58

I wasn't referring to the nut being welded to the knuckle. It was to the tie rod shaft. You'll still have to cut it off, which can damage the threads and bind the whole assembly (And the worst case scenario, ball spinning in cup), causing you to have to cut near the knuckle anyways.

As for what doesn't line up? Everything...  The inner is too short, so you will need to extend it. The S12 outer tie rods shaft taper is wrong, drops down and angles to the rear. The S12's mounting point is a good 3 inches lower and back than the S13 mounting point. So you would need cut the outer ball joint and weld on a different coupler (Thus heating the cup, and distorting it). Or get bar stock of 2 different sizes (The S13 tie rod doesn't drop down, but is a much smaller rod size) and couple or weld the two together, and then use the S13 outer tie rod. The S13 rod

I thought of it. calculated the angular stresses, tested it in solidworks, and concluded that it would most likely snap/fracture/be a waste of money. and promptly cut a S13 inner tie rod 17mm down, welded it back together, threw it on a lathe, and then just used a factory S13 outer. Took maybe 20 minutes for something I know won't break or stray while drifting. I have since used my parts sourcing, and ASE Parts specialist skills, with a friend in japan who sent me a good 10 catalogs to go through, and found a proper outer tie rod end that uses uncut, factory S13 inner tie rod ends. And I won't give out this information :P

CAD skills mean modeling
Machining, fabrication, and programming skills mean making
Once you have all three, you don't really need much money.

And, for references, picture of the two next to each other, using my original cut and welded tie rods (track backups that I lost the nuts for, and don't care to buy more) against my old factory S12 ones. Yes, they're rusty. I didn't have time in the 3 minutes it took for them to go from the lathe, to the car. And I just never cared enough to go back for it after I pulled them off...
posted image

I like, appreciate, condone, and applaud your ambition. But it's simply a pointless task

S12-ARApr 4, 2011, 2:50 am · #59

Would this kit work for the S13 front end conversion? Would I still be able to bolt on the stock strut rod?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-Joint-TIE-ROD-Control-Arm-KIT-Nissan-240SX-1989-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf645a164QQitemZ330549272932QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

radoublelyApr 24, 2011, 4:33 pm · #60

you know, I was just looking for some the brakes, but I'd been reading on s13 front ends and such, saw this laying in the ground at the junkyard and picked it up.  Now, I did get tein s13 coilovers and I'll let you guys know how the package turns out :)

posted image

DeeTeezJul 11, 2011, 2:41 pm · #61

how do you remove the s12 tie rods?


Post Merge: 02:46:27 PM / 11-Jul-11
the inner rod that is...
TX200sxJul 11, 2011, 3:10 pm · #62

Ok, possibly a noobie question. I am looking/planning to buy a complete S13 (I know of one with a bad motor and was told I could buy it for a couple hundred) anyways my plan was to just unbolt the entire front end steering rack the whole assembly and swap it with my stock S12. Do you guys think it would work?

Justin BannerJul 11, 2011, 5:22 pm · #63
TX200sx on 03:10:22 PM / 11-Jul-11Ok, possibly a noobie question. I am looking/planning to buy a complete S13 (I know of one with a bad motor and was told I could buy it for a couple hundred) anyways my plan was to just unbolt the entire front end steering rack the whole assembly and swap it with my stock S12. Do you guys think it would work?

From what I understand and have seen, if you use the S13 cross-member, your front tires may stick out too much and have a ton of negative camber. You can use S13 arms on the S12 cross-member, it's been done plenty of times.
DeezusJul 11, 2011, 8:36 pm · #64

Im pretty sure you can leave the stock s12 lcas, they are the same as s13/14 theyre all just different lengths.

DeeTeezJul 12, 2011, 12:01 am · #65

But is it possible to remove the s12 lcas, because i am wanting to upgrade the tie rods so the stock ones will not bend

David BJul 13, 2011, 3:17 pm · #66
DeeTeez on 12:01:06 AM / 12-Jul-11But is it possible to remove the s12 lcas, because i am wanting to upgrade the tie rods so the stock ones will not bend

the aftermarket ones will just break instead of bend. and if they dont break something its attached to will. nature is glorious when you have no suspension travel

IMO, cheap autozone shit lifetime warranty you can always replace when they bend! though ive never bent one.
trust me though, the brand of tie rod you have will NOT really change what happens when you slam into a curb at 40+ mph. stuff breaks

id only use aftermarket rods if you need them for length reasons. if not focus on some adjustable tension rods or some weed
radoublelyJul 17, 2011, 3:01 pm · #67

Well, we're almost complete on this setup but we wound up noticing a few problems and here's what I ran into.

The rotors on the s13 front are 4 lug and small.  S14 brake system will go on without too much fabrication so start considering how far you want to go into your brake system BEFORE beginning this operation.  My personal set-up is s13 front suspension mixed with s14 brake components.  I found that this was the best time to put on the cross drilled slotted rotors and get the brake lines steel-braided.

You're going to notice that some of the components aren't as sturdy from the s13 as the s12 and so don't be afraid to use this time to begin re-inforcing some of those components (or just make bigger ones, none of the components we had to re-inforce were complicated to fabricate but it's best if you have access to the right shop)

I couldn't find any sway bars... Custom, $500.  No biggie.

Also, you're going to have a hard time adjusting your rear suspension due to the totally different Geometry.  I hear Meghan racing has some good stuff but they were out of stock so I"m sitting on Tiens right now.

Final set-up-
tien coliovers
s13 front conversion
s14 brake setup
cross-drilled slotted rotors
custom sway bars
steel-braided brake lines

David48Sep 4, 2011, 10:03 pm · #68

So in the original post he said he would also do S13 rear coilovers? Was that ever accomplished? I tried contacting henry on his facebook page to ask, but no response :( Has anyone done rears yet?

I_heart_VVLSep 4, 2011, 11:48 pm · #69
David48 on 10:03:09 PM / 04-Sep-11So in the original post he said he would also do S13 rear coilovers? Was that ever accomplished? I tried contacting henry on his facebook page to ask, but no response :( Has anyone done rears yet?
here ya go:
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=18344.300

basically,
remove pillow-ball tops/spring/perch from coilovers and use the bottom-mount bushing from your old OEM shocks and done.
then you can weld on the spring perch to the control arm and use the same spring off the coilover or just go to daymotorsports.com and buy springs and perches(real cheap)
radoublelyDec 25, 2011, 5:08 am · #70
David48 on 10:03:09 PM / 04-Sep-11So in the original post he said he would also do S13 rear coilovers? Was that ever accomplished? I tried contacting henry on his facebook page to ask, but no response :( Has anyone done rears yet?

I have s13 coilovers on the rear, but they don't mount up quite like you'd expect.  The height adjustment doesn't sit where you think it will so you'll have to permanently set it at some point.  It's a different suspension.  Like I said earlier though, Meghan racing has a great product for the 900-1000 USD price range but they were out of stock when I tried and they should be adjustable in the rear as long as you do the s13 front conversion.

Once again, 5 lug guys be aware that the s13 is a 4 lug so plan on doing something to correct that (or go s14 setup).  I did a combo, reinforced s13 setup on s14 brakes and then promptly modified.
Dr.SteelsMay 27, 2012, 11:22 pm · #71

So like deffinitive list of what I need?

pakii-afaJun 2, 2012, 8:20 pm · #72

im going the full s13 route, so s13 lca spindle hub caliper ball joint and tc rod. so far ive got all of that and also s14 tc rod brackets. i couldnt find an s13 sway bar but the guy gave me the s14 one free when i picked up the brackets. can i use the s14 sway bar on the s13 setup? thanks.

ArroJun 4, 2012, 1:09 pm · #73

Here are the facts broken down in simple terms.

Megan Racing does indeed make the best kit, but you will have to convert to S13 front suspension (only front). The rears are uniquely designed for the S12.

You can also create your own adjustable height front and rear suspension. The fronts require some cutting and welding though not much. The rears are 100% bolt-in, using a 5x8" spring and a universal fit adjustable spring perch.

S13 rear suspension is a lot of customization: cutting and welding the unibody. The S13 rear suspension is radically different from the S12 setup. A couple people on here have done it but it's a lot of work unless you are experienced with metal fabrication and like math and measuring.

pakii-afaJun 4, 2012, 2:55 pm · #74

that doesnt asnwer my question at all lol

ArroJun 4, 2012, 3:02 pm · #75

No but it answered the other guy's question. Basically everything you listed is what you need, yes... I don't see why you can't use S12-spec sway bar. Aren't you using S12 control arms? I recommend you use the S12 control arms or you will have a lot of extra poke which means a lot of extra camber. Way too much. I never understand why people run S13 arms or worse S14 arms unless they are planning to run fender flares or a custom widebody kit (and who really does that).

D-sport S12Jun 4, 2012, 6:04 pm · #76

Because racecar

nismo_200sxJun 4, 2012, 10:45 pm · #77

extra poke=more steering angle and camber can be adjusted by this magical adjustable piece of metal called "camber plates"

ArroJun 4, 2012, 11:15 pm · #78

Except that even with camber plates, you end up with 3 degrees or more negative. So your car is then ONLY useful for drift, and not practical at all for regular street use. All for a bit extra steering angle. Which could have been done by simply shortening the steering knuckles. Which has been done before so it's proven to work well.

Oh and I might add to things that much negative camber would probably make the car difficult to control in a drift, since the front wheels are your only contact patch. No bueno. Hellaflush stanced status FTL.

D-sport S12Jun 4, 2012, 11:23 pm · #79

If a person is going for a street car without tons of tire wear then use s12 arms.
Of you want something more aggressive for street or track car use s13/ s14 arms or if you are baller than adjustable lca's

I_heart_VVLJun 5, 2012, 1:37 am · #80
Arro on 01:15:28 AM / 05-Jun-12Ok so for drifting it's good for the front, but not for the rear.

Exactly, just in case you missed the zero rear camber in the corolla in my previous post ;)

Arro on 01:15:28 AM / 05-Jun-12And not for either front or rear for street driving.

Unless you love buying tires every couple of months.

Arro on 01:15:28 AM / 05-Jun-12But I guess streeting an S12 has zero cool value to it :innocent:

In case that is you being sarcastic- What IS cool about driving an 80's Japanese "Sports Car"? :P
LOL.
pakii-afaJun 5, 2012, 4:54 pm · #81

ok so no poke then, makes my job easier :) i last question, i heard you needed s13 balljoint for s13 hub? true or will s12 ball joint work.

JayJun 5, 2012, 6:09 pm · #82

Truth for most. Not needed for few.

pakii-afaJun 5, 2012, 11:49 pm · #83

thanks.next step, coils and install :)

Ju_S12_TurboJun 6, 2012, 12:07 am · #84
Arro on 11:15:27 PM / 04-Jun-12Except that even with camber plates, you end up with 3 degrees or more negative. So your car is then ONLY useful for drift, and not practical at all for regular street use. All for a bit extra steering angle. Which could have been done by simply shortening the steering knuckles. Which has been done before so it's proven to work well.

Oh and I might add to things that much negative camber would probably make the car difficult to control in a drift, since the front wheels are your only contact patch. No bueno. Hellaflush stanced status FTL.

I run -5.5 up front and its killer when I am drifting  :) , But as for the fact about being at least -3 at full positive is false. At full positive camber I am at +0.5, at full negative I am at, well -5.5 lol.
pakii-afaJun 6, 2012, 12:49 pm · #85

yea but how much do your wheels stick out at full positive. that poke is what most people try to avoid unless flares are used or its going to the track only

Ju_S12_TurboJun 8, 2012, 4:06 pm · #86
pakii-afa on 12:49:22 PM / 06-Jun-12yea but how much do your wheels stick out at full positive. that poke is what most people try to avoid unless flares are used or its going to the track only

It honestly depends on your wheel choices, if you are running stock wheel your "poke" won't be bad at all, it would just make the wheel sit slightly more flush, not Herra frush. if you wanted a idea what it would look like, grab a 10mm spacers and judge for yourself. Its all personal preference and your driving style.
pakii-afaJun 8, 2012, 9:47 pm · #87

i know its all personal, im going for a flush-ish look, but rather the wheel inside the fender then out. so i think ill stick to the s12 lca, if i need more poke then ill swap it out for the s13 :)

tenzoMar 10, 2013, 7:09 pm · #88

i havent read all the comments yet so my question is gonna make me look like a complete retard  but will s13 coil-overs fit the s12 directly without replacing the rest of the suspension? again yes i look like a complete retard asking this but i got confused reading just a few post sorry

D-sport S12Mar 10, 2013, 7:18 pm · #89

No,
Read more

ArroMar 10, 2013, 11:19 pm · #90

lolz.

Answered, like,

EVERYWHERE on this site.

tenzoMar 10, 2013, 11:24 pm · #91

took a while to read all the posts and i got my answer thanks

ArroMar 10, 2013, 11:52 pm · #92

You'd be surprised how much info is on this site. Good info, not just guesses.

tenzoMar 11, 2013, 12:10 am · #93
Arro on 11:52:41 PM / 10-Mar-13You'd be surprised how much info is on this site. Good info, not just guesses.
true i like this site alot but considering i used to drive more mainstream cars  this site is a big help  with tips and ideas and finding parts for my s12 great place 
nismo_200sxMar 15, 2013, 2:11 pm · #94

ok so i'm finally gonna do the coilover setup. since the guy is banned can you run s13 spindle and hub on stock s12 LCA/BallJoint/Tension Rod/Tie Rod/Swaybar/Brakes? or do you have to get s13 brakes/rotors/lines/etc. I want to know if the factory s12 calipers clear s13 rotors and if the A1 tie rods bolt onto the s13 spindle if you cut the knuckles for angle on stock s12 steering rack.

I_heart_VVLMar 15, 2013, 2:37 pm · #95

You CAN run an S13 knuckle on an S12 Balljoint but it's not recommended, Darryn on S12Silvia did that in his SR20 live axle drift car. That car was also on cut knuckles IIRC on a stock manual rack and had a ton of angle.

For the tie rods: As long as they haven't messed with the taper on the tie rod pick up any S13 tie rod will work, even the A1s.

I have no clue about the brakes.

nismo_200sxMar 18, 2013, 1:22 am · #96
I_heart_VVL on 02:37:07 PM / 15-Mar-13
You CAN run an S13 knuckle on an S12 Balljoint but it's not recommended, Darryn on S12Silvia did that in his SR20 live axle drift car. That car was also on cut knuckles IIRC on a stock manual rack and had a ton of angle.
why do you not recommend doing that?
ArroMar 18, 2013, 1:29 am · #97

Yes you can use S12 stock control arms, and in fact I would recommend it if you want more reasonable camber.

I_heart_VVLMar 18, 2013, 11:26 am · #98
nismo_200sx on 01:22:38 AM / 18-Mar-13
why do you not recommend doing that?

Because balljoint tapers are different, Id want as much contact between the knuckle and balljoint for fear of it snapping one day driving down the highway at 70mph.
nismo_200sxMar 19, 2013, 5:06 pm · #99

my car will never see the street and it's been running for 2 years lol

punkguitarz66Dec 18, 2013, 12:29 am · #100

Is it just me, or did you forget to update this write up with the how to on the Rears?
car already came with the megan set up in the front but I've been trying to figure out wth they did with the rear and how I can fix it.