Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Matt's S12

Started by seishuku · Aug 3, 2007 · 1232postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

200sxkitcarSep 9, 2009, 1:28 am · #401

damn Jay, thats an impressive lineup there...

Matt, you were running rich?  I NEVER KNEW  

anyway, with a leaner tune I think you'll pick up some ponies.  like you needed more yeah!

are you running the sr maf still?

seishukuSep 9, 2009, 3:50 pm · #402

I'm still working on the suspension! Tuning is free, parts cost moneys

Ponies I'm not too worried about, it's the foot lbs that I'm after.
It's defiently pulling better up top now, before it just kinda petered out and stopped, now it feels like it's gaining more power even at 6500+.

Yeah, still stock MAF that came with the engine, supposed to be good to 250 or 280WHP, so I gotta be close to that number.
I have a hack that might get me around the MAFS limits with out buying a new one, either by placing the element in a sized pipe, or bore out the stock housing. I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

seishukuSep 9, 2009, 9:21 pm · #403

Oh, and this weekend I was going to try getting some of the front mount supports in for the rear suspension, depending on how lazy I feel and how much grinding it takes to remove the underbody coating.

NemisisSep 10, 2009, 7:21 pm · #404

Yea Jay, Sterling is a cool dood. You should see the welding he does. Seriously, he makes junk cars good to drive again!

JaySep 10, 2009, 9:42 pm · #405
NemisisYea Jay, Sterling is a cool dood. You should see the welding he does. Seriously, he makes junk cars good to drive again!

I could use his services on my poor maxima then... It needs new rocker panels something fierce... And I dunno if I can tackle that one. anything Mechanical, and getting a body smooth I rock at. Anything with paint, and fixing rusty crap. I suck at.

Paint I'm learning, but the max is NOT something I want to learn how to replace whole panels on. the car is too much cool/nice/of a legend to fuck up.
seishukuSep 11, 2009, 5:04 pm · #406

I know, I know... Work on the damn suspension!

Made another goodie for my '12 -
(https://i.imgur.com/Veu7f2w.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/UxCuEGI.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/0ZlDcOp.jpg)

New water tank for the alcohol injection, and could double for an alternative fuel tank too (though it wouldn't hold much fuel, about 3.5gal).

Baffled of course, and a bronze diffuser for a inlet filter. All 304 stainless.

Gotta do the cutout on the top for the access cover, and for the filler pipe.

Edit:
Oh, don't mind the "rusty" metal, it was a little corroded when I got it out of my Parent's basement. It'll acid wash it before I'm done with it.

seishukuSep 13, 2009, 9:27 pm · #407

Well, I didn't get the forward mounts in, because I can't with out removing the stock subframe.

I did lay the two suspension frames together, and take measurements.

It also places the rear mounts directly on the rear unibody member for the stock rear diff mount. Perfect place for some holes to be drilled and carriage bolts installed, with reinforcement plates of course (much like you would with a roll cage).

I can do the rear mounts, but the front will have to be done when the whole thing goes in, so the car will have to be down for a few days... Which means I will have to have everything ready to go.

seishukuSep 14, 2009, 8:11 pm · #408

Finished the tank:
(https://i.imgur.com/JO1MQup.jpg)

New setup in the rear:
(https://i.imgur.com/w85PTzX.jpg)

XanoSep 14, 2009, 8:13 pm · #409

looks hella nice dude, now finish it with some anodized finish.  or some of that anodized wannabe paint stuff.

RedneckSep 14, 2009, 8:16 pm · #410

Good progress. As we all know the s13 rear suspension swap doesn't happen overnight so don't beat yourself up to bad .

seishukuSep 17, 2009, 10:38 pm · #411

Yea, I know.
I wish I had a beater or maybe a scooter I could use, then I could have the '12 down and fix a few things. Like the oil pan that I never sealed correctly when I had the engine out last.

FYI, if anyone wanted one of those tanks, I could make one for about $200. Stainless isn't cheap!

seishukuOct 17, 2009, 7:23 pm · #412

DIY tension rod brace.

Though since it's not that heavy of tubing, I might add some cross bracing for triangulation. It might not really be needed.

tuhsty s-12Oct 17, 2009, 10:52 pm · #413

duuuuuude get to work on that reAr end!!! lol

JayOct 17, 2009, 11:09 pm · #414
tuhsty s-12duuuuuude get to work on that reAr end!!! lol

^Agreed

Which reminds me, I have some adjustable RUCA's and toe arms here. Make your rear camber be somewhat normal
seishukuOct 17, 2009, 11:39 pm · #415

Coilovers aren't cheap ya know, it's really the only thing I need. Not really a normal coil over either, I can't steal it off another car.
$350 doesn't grow on trees...
It'll happen, I'm not about to give up on it!
I'll probably need the adjustable arms after I get it all in, but I'm not going to worry about adjusting it until it's functional.

I was putting the diagonal brace on, and what happens? I run out of welding wire. Figures.

seishukuOct 20, 2009, 4:09 pm · #416

Tired of your differential puking oil everywhere?
Try this!
(https://i.imgur.com/KWcRx7n.jpg)

Yank out the crap-tastic OEM breather, tap it for 1/4" NPT (the hole is already the perfect size), and put a 1/4" x 3" long pipe that's threaded on one end in it. Then tap the unthreaded end of the nipple for 1/8" NPT (again, it's the perfect size), and screw in a 1/8NPT 1PSI to 3PSI relief vent into that (such as McMaster-Carr part # 1093K1).

I'm really getting tired of my diff dripping oil everwhere, and it seems to be dripping more and more lately. I've tried resealing everything already.

David BOct 20, 2009, 4:15 pm · #417

so much win. continue please

seishukuOct 21, 2009, 7:40 pm · #418

Thank you captain obvious.

So far so good, no dripping yet. If it's going to, it'll probably take a few heat cycles.
I probably should have welded a baffle plate in there too while I was at it, but oh well. I can always do that later.

I also did an inspection of my diff, all the welds are holding just fine, no cracks at all. Good thing I know what I'm doing.  

If only I had the $6.79 to change the oil while I was in there, instead of reusing the old nasty stuff.

NemisisOct 23, 2009, 11:23 am · #419

I thought new turbo VW's had K04 turbos.

(http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn106/gtimitch/VW%20HP%20Parts%20Comparison/K04vsR35.jpg)

K04 compared to a GT3582R. Tried finding a pic with one next to a T25, but couldn't find it.

Ooops. I guess they came with either. They are TINY turbos!!!!

K04 compressor inlet size:
(http://www.nceuromotorsports.com/gallery2/d/3503-1/ko4inet.jpg)

The K03 is just slightly smaller. I think its 1.3" or so.

And on my Ruckus scooter club, a couple guys with 150cc swapped motors can spool a K04 turbo... so far to 10psi. I can dig up some of those if ya want, there pretty cool.

Sorry about the thread jack... again.

seishukuOct 23, 2009, 4:04 pm · #420

Yea, I was really surprised at how small those things are, but they seem to flow quite a bit. Like I said, right on par with a T25g.

NemisisOct 23, 2009, 4:27 pm · #421

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtDDZ4goU0g (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtDDZ4goU0g) ATR Ruckus. 150cc GY6 motor swap and a K04 turbo @10psi.

seishukuOct 23, 2009, 7:33 pm · #422

Amazing that a 150cc engine can even spool that thing!
Doesn't sound like it's making much power though, I'm guessing those engines don't have much for timing management.

NemisisOct 24, 2009, 10:13 am · #423

Not really. they run off of a CDI box. Pretty much a ignition timing computer with a rev limiter. And did you notice that we HAVE to run it as a draw-through setup... Sucks. But it works, and those turbos are pretty cheap and plentiful.

You'll like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyU3UGYGVNg) too. Hes running a standard GY6 motor with a 4-valve head (stock is 2) cammed. Too bad you cant bore up to bigger displacements with a 4 valve. These motors can be built to 190cc.

seishukuOct 25, 2009, 2:04 am · #424

Oh wow, that's fuckin awesome. Sounds bad-ass from off idle to low throttle, I love that sound!

NemisisOct 26, 2009, 8:14 pm · #425

Hey, if I apply and get into Miller Brewing, I will do a 150 swap and K04 turbo with other shit... Probably ride to your house on it too.

seishukuOct 26, 2009, 8:37 pm · #426

Haha, that would be awesome! (both the beer job and scooter )

JayOct 26, 2009, 8:59 pm · #427

Man, Kids are growing up. When I was young I was putting turbos on lawn mowers. Now they've moved onto scooters!?

What's next. Turbo soap box racers with goped motors? Oh wait, we tried that...
Nitrous enhanced gopeds? Shit, that's been done too...

I KNOW!!!

TurboProp Kayaks!!!!!

In all seriousness that ruckus is just plain cool in my book

seishukuOct 26, 2009, 9:55 pm · #428

Kids? We're all the same age dude.

seishukuOct 27, 2009, 8:12 pm · #429

Aux lights!

XanoOct 27, 2009, 8:40 pm · #430

pshhh, nothin.  if i bought HID kits for my 5" Pilots, you'd cry blood.

JayOct 27, 2009, 8:56 pm · #431
Xanopshhh, nothin.  if i bought HID kits for my 5" Pilots, you'd cry blood.

Psssh, If I put HID's in my HELLA rounds, Your eyes will burn out of your sockets.

I swear to god, Turning my brights on with REGULAR sylvanias on my E30, is like unleashing the power of the sun.

It will get HID's, soon too.

LIGHT BARS FTW man!!!
seishukuNov 20, 2009, 12:07 am · #432

(https://i.imgur.com/OuzWgrH.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/BZey8Sm.jpg)

David BNov 20, 2009, 12:11 am · #433

ooo high tech

JayNov 20, 2009, 1:25 am · #434

Megasquirt, Nifty

Did you want something with a better fuel map resolution? I'm not familiar with the SR20's ECU...

XanoNov 20, 2009, 1:50 am · #435

I was gonna say, werent you a big proponent of Nistune before?

What happened with that?

seishukuNov 20, 2009, 3:54 pm · #436

Actually, factory management is higher res (ECCS is 16x16 tables, MS is 12x12), but it's just something new to play with. Lots of really nice features (anti-lag, auto rad fan, water injection, even traction control if you want), and shouldn't be too hard getting it up and running.

I got the timing map converted over already, just need to do something with fuel. Which is harder to do, since the ECCS sort of uses a percent over stoich and MS uses a volumetric efficiency percentage, but I'll get it.

I do need an intake temp sensor though.

Edit:
I should clarify, I have a MS1 v2.2, which is lower res than stock EMS, but MS2 is the same res.

FrankNov 20, 2009, 4:53 pm · #437
seishukuActually, factory management is higher res (ECCS is 16x16 tables, MS is 12x12), but it's just something new to play with. Lots of really nice features (anti-lag, auto rad fan, water injection, even traction control if you want), and shouldn't be too hard getting it up and running.

I got the timing map converted over already, just need to do something with fuel. Which is harder to do, since the ECCS sort of uses a percent over stoich and MS uses a volumetric efficiency percentage, but I'll get it.

I do need an intake temp sensor though.

Edit:
I should clarify, I have a MS1 v2.2, which is lower res than stock EMS, but MS2 is the same res.

Fuel is a breeze if you have a wideband
Why didn't you order a v3.0 ?
XanoNov 20, 2009, 6:55 pm · #438

agreed matt, was this a hand-me-down you got from someone then?  just something to mess with when your bored.

XanoNov 20, 2009, 7:03 pm · #439

MS is great, you can convert to ANY type of airflow sensor.

I'm almost 100% certain MS has a module for MAFs.

seishukuNov 20, 2009, 8:57 pm · #440

It's not well tested though, and probably wouldn't work with a Nissan MAFS anyway (5.12v max vs. MS's 5v max).
I originally wanted to do that, but MS is designed around speed density, so I might as well use it.

Plus I'm already maxing out my MAFS anyway, so speed density is a cheap way around it. As much as I don't like it.

NemisisNov 20, 2009, 8:58 pm · #441
XanoMS is great, you can convert to ANY type of airflow sensor.

I'm almost 100% certain MS has a module for MAFs.

3.5" GM MAFs.

They are good to a billion HP...

No seriously, DSM guys swap them in with a translator (both 3" and 3.5") and they flow ridiculously well. I have a 3" that Kyle gave me... gonna use it when I get a 4G63T in my colt tho.
JayNov 20, 2009, 9:01 pm · #442
Nemisis3.5" GM MAFs.

They are good to a billion HP...

No seriously, DSM guys swap them in with a translator (both 3" and 3.5") and they flow ridiculously well. I have a 3" that Kyle gave me... gonna use it when I get a 4G63T in my colt tho.

^He's spot on.

Except it's not a billion, It's a bazillion

I knew the MS II was 16x16, But I had no idea on ECCS. Hmm, I might have to pic up a chip burner. and some software.
seishukuNov 20, 2009, 9:16 pm · #443

Oh yeah, stock ECCS is really flexible, and those guys are always making new breakthroughs on new things. The biggest things right now have been a complete rewrite of the KA24E ECU found in the Stanza (U12), adding consult to ECUs that didn't have support before, and built-in launch control.

Tuning is really easy, even if you do it the hard way, the other software that people charge for (like nistune) is really just for convenience (of course they offer other stuff too, like daughter boards), but you can make a daughter board and burn a ROM chip and be tuning!

Oh, another thing that pretty much no one knows, is the ECU that the RWD SR20DE and GA16DE (they use the same style ECU) is a really shitty designed ECU for reprogramming.
It comes from them integrating a lot of the logic and processors into a single solution, and it creates a problem when you want to use external memory.

Edit:
Oh, and big flow MAFS cost big flow cash, I'm cheap.

JayNov 20, 2009, 9:30 pm · #444

Well let me ask you this, Do you have a schematic for the daughterboard. It would make a pretty good class final for this semester.

Using this picture, ould you have any idea which SOIC this is? It looks like it would take 10 minutes to make.
and damnit. I can't make out those resistor colors...
(http://www.sr20tuning.com/daughterboard2.jpg)

Nevermind, I found it.. I'll put it here for future reference, and then do a how-to later on

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/Phreakonaleash55/Schematic.jpg)

seishukuNov 20, 2009, 9:38 pm · #445

That's the 4 map BikiROM board, pretty old board.

This one is a 2 map board, I think BadBiki designed this one too, but don't remember.
(https://i.imgur.com/q0ZlHAt.jpg)

JayNov 20, 2009, 10:07 pm · #446

Is there a slightly larger, or direct link to that image? I'm having a hard time reading the specifics on the NAND gates on there.

seishukuNov 20, 2009, 10:21 pm · #447

Not really, it's a pretty bad JPEG.
If you search around for S13 daughterboard, there should be a few hits on DIY boards.

Edit:
 I see you found one already

JayNov 20, 2009, 10:24 pm · #448
seishukuNot really, it's a pretty bad JPEG.
If you search around for S13 daughterboard, there should be a few hits on DIY boards.

Edit:
 I see you found one already

Kinda, It's not much better

What burner/how do you go about your burns/what software do you use/am I annoying yet?

You owe me!
seishukuNov 20, 2009, 10:39 pm · #449


There are tons of different burners, the one I use is a Willem Dual Power.
http://www.mcumall.com (http://www.mcumall.com) is a good source for those kind of goodies.

These are the ROM chips I use:
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/come...?idProduct=3130 (http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3130)

Pin compatible with 27256 chips, but they're flash ROMs, so no UV eraser. But they're getting harder to find, since they've been discontinued.
JayNov 20, 2009, 10:48 pm · #450

Damn, that thing is dirt cheap.

And then I can offer dirt cheap ROM's for KA guys on here, Because most of them don't have SR's.

But what software do you use for tuning, Tunerpro?