Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels

The Suspension Build Guide For Your S12

Started by mod_mastaz · Aug 12, 2007 · 168postsSMF 2010–26

RAW0330Nov 27, 2009, 9:24 am · #51

The size of the coil won't matter when turning the wheel due to the fact it turns with the spindle. It's bolted to the spindle on the bottom, and the upper mount has a bearing which allows rotation of the assembly.

seishukuNov 27, 2009, 11:29 am · #52

It matters when it doesn't fit inside the S12 strut tower.

CamInHeadNov 28, 2009, 2:20 pm · #53

I recently got some z31 n/a rear arms (5stud and vented brakes). We offered up a known turbo disc and the back spacing was slightly different, though the actual disk thickness identical.

Anybody picked up on that before ?

RAW0330Dec 2, 2009, 7:01 am · #54
seishukuIt matters when it doesn't fit inside the S12 strut tower.

Good point, but he asked whether or no it'll affect turning, assuming it'll fit in place.
mod_mastazDec 3, 2009, 8:06 am · #55

CamInHead: It depends which year your Z31 arms are, If they are 84-86, they are the standard arms. If they are the 87-89(turbo or n/a) then they will accept the vented rotors/calipers and are 10mm wider on both sides. What year z31 disc and what year z31 arms are you comparing to/have?

CamInHeadApr 9, 2010, 1:53 pm · #56

Don't know for sure but the fella I got my bits off says they're later N/A, 5-lug. Point I wanted to make is it appears to be that either will work but aren't interchangeable ie; use either Z31 n/a or turbo but not a mix of the two.

XenoVibeMay 17, 2010, 12:27 am · #57

which size are the Z32 calipers, 26mm or 30mm? or do both fit?

deadpirateMay 17, 2010, 12:33 am · #58

^they both have the same bolt pattern so they both fit

XenoVibeMay 17, 2010, 3:34 am · #59

Brake option #1:
Z32 Front brakes
- Z32 Master cylinder 1" or 1 1/16"(15/16" is fine but will give a slightly mushier pedal feel)
- S13 Z32 front brake conversion line
- Z32 rotors(matching calipers)
- IF 4-LUG! --- Redrill rotors

Does this mean that you can keep using stock brake lines in the rear?
Also what is that S13 Z32 Front brake conversion line mean?
What does he mean by "matching calipers"?

deadpirateMay 17, 2010, 3:40 am · #60
XenoVibeBrake option #1:
Z32 Front brakes
- Z32 Master cylinder 1" or 1 1/16"(15/16" is fine but will give a slightly mushier pedal feel)
- S13 Z32 front brake conversion line
- Z32 rotors(matching calipers)
- IF 4-LUG! --- Redrill rotors
Does this mean that you can keep using stock brake lines in the rear?
Also what is that S13 Z32 Front brake conversion line mean?
What does he mean by "matching calipers"?


doesnt effect your brake lines

the lines are different because they have different banjo bolts

you need matching rotors for the matching calipers (26mm vs 30mm)

seriously dude, this isnt hard to put together
VG33ERGazelle?May 19, 2010, 12:22 am · #61

I've got an s14 SE in my junkyard that's set to go out on saturday, so I'm going to make sure I have this clear now.

to do the s12/s14 front suspension conversion I need:
-S14 balljoint
-S14 spindle
-S14 SE hubs(5-lug)
-S14 tension rod brackets

are these the only factory bits I need? the car is untouched and complete and I wanna make sure I get everything because s13s/s14s are rare in my yard.

might I also need the stock tie rods, tension rods, and sway bar or do the factory s12 tensions rods/tie rod components work fine

I know the sway bar will require longer bolts and washers if I use the s12 one, but will the s14 one bolt in fine?

I'll worry about the brakes and the rear set up later, I just want to get this stuff while I can and I want to make sure I've got EVERYTHING I need while it's available to me

MaxpowJun 22, 2010, 6:47 am · #62

Would it be possible to use z31 bolt on rotors as slip ons while I wait to purchase some z31 front slip ons?

(this is if I use the 88 z31 turbo for a brake upgrade)

That's a no. I can feel it I'll just buy some more .

So to clarify and make sure I don't grab shit I don't need. If I want 2 piston Calipers up front I need the front hub, front wheel bearing, and front rotors/calipers. If I want the vented discs in the back I need the control arms, hubs, caliper and rotors. Do I need the whole spindle or just the control arm? I guess I am confused if by hubs it means just the part that spins or the entire knuckle.

mod_mastazJun 22, 2010, 6:27 pm · #63

You don't need the entire strut assembly, but you can still use it. But yes, you just need the brakes, wheel bearing/hub, and rotors/calipers for the fronts. GL

The rears, just grab everything touching the control arm and you're set. Look at the VIN plate and tell me what the rear ratio is. It should say RCxx where XX = 2 digit number, like RC37 or something. I'm looking for some different rear ratios for my car.

DriftOnerJun 23, 2010, 4:25 am · #64

I am going to be throwing s13 coilovers on my car once I get it running. The rear setup seems very vague though. What does it take to put s13 coilovers in the rear? I've got the independent rear suspension. Thanks.

MaxpowJun 23, 2010, 5:00 am · #65
DriftOnerI am going to be throwing s13 coilovers on my car once I get it running. The rear setup seems very vague though. What does it take to put s13 coilovers in the rear? I've got the independent rear suspension. Thanks.


Its not going to happen man.
EightySix200SXJul 19, 2010, 2:55 pm · #66

Hung sss blue coils plus agx= win no squat no play no noise, i bombed little tujunga sunday night anyway thanks for a solid suspension setup this is really good shit i might up the spring rate maybe ill dial in the shocks first im running on mid setting right now maybe 5 or 6 ill test next. Thanks again dude

sscs are whatevs good for a daily but the rear is too soft

turbo-s12Aug 10, 2010, 7:07 pm · #67

so i am wanting to do this:
Option 2:
s12-S13 hybrid
-S13 balljoint
-S13 spindle
-stock S13 4-lugs
-S12 stock control arm
can i still use my stock brake setup? sorry if this question seems retarded i need it clarified..thanks

EightySix200SXAug 10, 2010, 7:53 pm · #68
turbo-s12so i am wanting to do this:
Option 2:
s12-S13 hybrid
-S13 balljoint
-S13 spindle
-stock S13 4-lugs
-S12 stock control arm
can i still use my stock brake setup? sorry if this question seems retarded i need it clarified..thanks

no u will either need stock 240sx stuffs of do the q45/j30 conversion.
KustamogenAug 10, 2010, 8:00 pm · #69
EightySix200SXno u will either need stock 240sx stuffs of do the q45/j30 conversion.

youll also need the inner/outer tie rods as well
turbo-s12Aug 12, 2010, 3:18 am · #70

those lists arent very complete if u know wat i mean there are people like me that are kinda retarded and think wats in the list is all u need...lol

mod_mastazAug 12, 2010, 9:31 am · #71

You obviously aren't reading the entire post because there was a brake section and also the other required swapped items. Also, it would make sense that if you're upgrading to the s13 suspension, you would use the s13 brakes.

D-sport S12Aug 12, 2010, 5:03 pm · #72
turbo-s12those lists arent very complete if u know wat i mean there are people like me that are kinda retarded and think wats in the list is all u need...lol

It's not hard to figure out, all the answers are right in front of you. Just do a little reading, it's actually quite simple
JayAug 12, 2010, 5:40 pm · #73
Kustamogenyoull also need the inner/outer tie rods as well

Which I can now provide some. No cutting/welding/tapping required!
DrfstaSep 23, 2010, 1:06 am · #74

also - apologies for this most likely having been answered azillion times. I just need to confirm...
RE. S13 setup...

- Aftermarket S13 Inner AND Outer tierod ends are required with NO further modification (I thought there was still a length issue???)
- Purchasing a STANDARD S13 brake line is required with NO further modification (or is it a S12/13 hybrid??? please excuse my lack of technical knowledge in this specific area)
- PS13 (SR20S13) front callipers are an upgrade from the stock RS13(CA18S13) equivelant?

Thanks

JaySep 23, 2010, 1:41 am · #75

No, stock S13 tie rod setup is too long. I sell the set that isn't, and isn't factory S13 outers, but is factory S13 inners
Yes, Standard S13 brake hoses outer brake lines for S13 brake calipers. You can get away with the stock S12 ones (I do), but they are fairly tight
I have no idea about number 3

s-chassis_onlySep 23, 2010, 2:23 am · #76

can you still do the brake and suspension setup with a solid rear end?

DrfstaSep 24, 2010, 4:41 am · #77
Jay on 01:41:08 AM / 23-Sep-10No, stock S13 tie rod setup is too long. I sell the set that isn't, and isn't factory S13 outers, but is factory S13 inners
Yes, Standard S13 brake hoses outer brake lines for S13 brake calipers. You can get away with the stock S12 ones (I do), but they are fairly tight
I have no idea about number 3

Ok great yeah I thought so. I am in Auckland, New Zealand - would you be willing to email me some costs 'landed' and some description or images etc of the product?? If its rediculously expensive(crappy exchange rate etc!) what do I need to know about customising the S13 rod ends does the inner just require further thread (cut/grind/die?) how much Exactly anyone know... You guys must get awful sick of reposting this sh** sorry
Much appreciated. [email removed]
ChadillacS12Nov 21, 2010, 12:52 am · #78

Im looking into the first option, but does the megan kit bolt up to that? Or would the s13 set up be better?

JayNov 21, 2010, 12:56 am · #79

The megan kit requires you to do the S13 knuckle conversion. The only difference between the S13 and the S12 megan kits are the rear coils

ChadillacS12Nov 21, 2010, 11:13 am · #80

awesome, thanks

CamInHeadMar 21, 2011, 2:35 pm · #81

Well I've been taking apart the S12 rear suspension and the drivehafts (axles ?) for the Z31 conversion are different. The flange at the suspension arm is a different stud pattern and the input shaft at the diff is different too.

Anyone else seen this as all other information indicates z31 and s12 should be interchangeable ?

edit: A bit more info, the Z31 FSM decsribes them as "Double Offset Birfield" and "Tripod-Tripod" types but gives no infomation when one or the other was used . My UK Turbo S12 with R200 diff uses the T-T type.
 

(http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/E555KHY/HPIM1948.jpg)

(http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/E555KHY/HPIM1951.jpg)

BoostedVGMar 21, 2011, 3:02 pm · #82

I don't recognize the 4 bolt pattern. I believe the Birfield went on turbo 300zx's.

Taris BlueMar 21, 2011, 7:15 pm · #83
CamInHead on 02:35:55 PM / 21-Mar-11Well I've been taking apart the S12 rear suspension and the drivehafts (axles ?) for the Z31 conversion are different. The flange at the suspension arm is a different stud pattern and the input shaft at the diff is different too.

Anyone else seen this as all other information indicates z31 and s12 should be interchangeable ?

edit: A bit more info, the Z31 FSM decsribes them as "Double Offset Birfield" and "Tripod-Tripod" types but gives no infomation when one or the other was used . My UK Turbo S12 with R200 diff uses the T-T type.
 

Tripod-Tripod is the six bolt pattern on the right...it was used in all NA Z31's...the four bolt pattern on the left is the double offset birfield type and was used in all Turbocharged z31's...

I can't quite comment as to when they are used in S12 applications, but I can say that my SE with R200 uses the six bolt pattern Tripod-Tripod axles
nismo_200sxFeb 10, 2012, 8:51 pm · #84

So for complete s13 front end conversion you need inners, outers, knuckles, hubs, control arm, sway bar, and calipers, brake lines with an s13 front subframe and crossmember?? All s13 this thread is not very straight I keep seeing 50 different mentions of parts that aren't the same maybe the mods could clean up this thread for usable proven information?

I_heart_VVLFeb 11, 2012, 11:51 am · #85

So if I want to use an 88 turbo diff, I also need the trailing arms and axles?

nismo_200sx on 08:51:13 PM / 10-Feb-12So for complete s13 front end conversion you need inners, outers, knuckles, hubs, control arm, sway bar, and calipers, brake lines with an s13 front subframe and crossmember?? All s13 this thread is not very straight I keep seeing 50 different mentions of parts that aren't the same maybe the mods could clean up this thread for usable proven information?

You need S13 tension rods if you use S13 control arms which requires S14 tension rod brackets(or you can drill new holes into your S13 LCAs for your stock tension rods).
You also don't NEED an S13 crossmember. S13 LCAs bolt right up to the stock piece.
nismo_200sxFeb 11, 2012, 3:47 pm · #86

so i can use my stock inners, outers, hubs, sway bar, knuckles, calipers, brake lines, and just s13 control arms, tension rods, s14 tension rod brackets for s13 coilovers?


Post Merge: [time]03:49:03 PM / 11-Feb-12 [/time]
this is what i mean when this thread is not CLEAR. CLEAR AS IN CRYSTAL. WHAT CAN I USE STOCK THAT I DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE ON MY STOCK FRONT CROSSMEMBER AND SUBFRAME TO RUN S13 COILS?

Post Merge: 03:50:58 PM / 11-Feb-12
i just need the parts list for conversion on the front only. im doing mustang agx's and canucks in the rear
I_heart_VVLFeb 12, 2012, 9:52 am · #87

You can't run S13 coils on stock spindles.
The bare minimum you need to run S13 spindles are S13 tie rods and balljoints to be pressed in to your stock control arm. You also need the brakes since you stock calipers won't fit on the S13 spindle.
People get S13/S14 control arms for a wider track, and S14 tension rod brackets to be able to use aftermarket adjustable tension rods.

I don't a know a way to say this any clearer.

nismo_200sxFeb 12, 2012, 8:15 pm · #88

your missing my point. if i have to use s13 calipers would i have to use s13 lines it's not just a given if you tell me s13 calipers your blotchy with your details on doing an s13 front setup for s13 coils. and on having balljoints and tie rods pressed into my stock control arm couldn't i just get an s13 control arm to skip that? see what im saying. i know i can't run s13 coils on stock spindles that is why im asking you what do i need, every single little tiny minute detail down to bolts on what i HAVE to get for s13 coils. your making it complicated. can i bolt an s13 control arm/knuckle/spindle/hub/tension rods to my s12 crossmember/subframe with stock s12 tie rods if i have a complete s12 front end what do i have to change out to run s13 coils up front. like i can't put it any more clear on what i'm asking. it's simple. and if i run s13 calipers because i have to for s13 brakes do i have to run s13 lines?

axlegreaseFeb 12, 2012, 10:22 pm · #89

This thread is really easy to understand with a little common sense. If you're not mechanically inclined enough to read through and understand without needing every tiny little detail, then maybe this isn't the project for you. Not trying to be a dick, just sayin'.

sideways_s12Feb 12, 2012, 10:40 pm · #90

I actually see exactly where Nismo is coming from.... I think this is what were looking for Nismo


Post Merge: 09:43:31 PM / 12-Feb-12
SkS12 on 06:37:22 PM / 03-Feb-09After installing my front megan coilovers i TRULY know what you must do to get them installed. I consider myself more than lucky to acquire a whole front subframe/suspension from a good friends parts s13 for the price of a case of beer.

s13 tie rods inners/outers(s12 are too short)
s13 spindle(for the coilover to mount properly)
s13 brake lines(s12 have the block fitting rather than threaded)
S13 rotors(to acompany s12 calipers)
S13 calipers(s12 wont bolt up to s13 spindles)
s13/longer sway bar endlinks i will also be using an s13 sway bar and moounts because the s12 bar with s12 endlinks gets way to close to the tension rod and will most likely make contact when the suspension is compressed

(http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2825/dsc00224ed7.jpg) (http://imageshack.us) s12 caliper shown against s13 spindle.

(http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6575/dsc00229qx1.jpg) (http://imageshack.us) s13 seen left s12 right difference can be seen in mounting size as well as the brake line difference


D-sport S12Feb 13, 2012, 6:31 am · #91
axlegrease on 10:22:12 PM / 12-Feb-12This thread is really easy to understand with a little common sense. If you're not mechanically inclined enough to read through and understand without needing every tiny little detail, then maybe this isn't the project for you. Not trying to be a dick, just sayin'.

True, if you can't figure out the difference from looking at a s12 and s13 front end with some reading/research here
then well......... read the end of the quote^
nismo_200sxFeb 13, 2012, 5:41 pm · #92

i guess sideways is the only person who understood my question. he hit the nail on the head. most of you guys just say a select amount of parts to do an s13 front conversion and sks12 probably took that advice and realized he was screwed. luckily he got a whole front end to avoid the problem. so far i only have an s12 front for comparison i dont have s13 stuff yet but i will be raping and pillaging a vert for the front end here in a few weeks.

sideways_s12Feb 13, 2012, 7:09 pm · #93

Yeah I got what you were saying I was in the same boat you just beat me to the question then i happened to come across that post....

D-sport S12Feb 13, 2012, 10:48 pm · #94

my set up consists of s13 lca, s13 knuckles, s14 tension rod bracket, s13 coilovers, s13 tension rods

nismo_200sxFeb 15, 2012, 5:34 pm · #95

what about your brakes? still s12?

sideways_s12Feb 15, 2012, 5:39 pm · #96

Nismo...check it it's all s13 bro..

S13 rotors(to acompany s12 calipers)
S13 calipers(s12 wont bolt up to s13 spindles)

D-sport S12Feb 15, 2012, 8:26 pm · #97

Ye sorry forgot to put that in. S13 brakes as well

nismo_200sxFeb 18, 2012, 4:32 pm · #98

do you have the stock s12 swaybar still?

D-sport S12Feb 19, 2012, 12:00 am · #99

Haven't put it all in yet I need to get home and do it. I don't remember what I'm doing with that yet

nismo_200sxFeb 19, 2012, 5:57 pm · #100

So wait you haven't even finished it yet and you come up patronizing me by reiterating axlegrease's quote? are you serious? if you haven't done it then why are you giving me info that it "works" when you don't even have it done?