Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Arro's S12: Rising From The Ashes W/ KA24DE Inside

Started by Arro · May 15, 2008 · 82postsSMF 2010–26

200sxkitcarMay 19, 2008, 6:23 am · #51

It runs and drives well, but needs the old gas run out of it.  The early 95 factory-ecu-controlled electric fans even come on as intended.  More pics and such in a few weeks

ArroMay 19, 2008, 11:13 am · #52

OMG, Sterling runs! But does he drive well?

How ya feeling man, any better? Did Henry drool on your shoulder while you went to town on his wiring harness?

200sxkitcarMay 26, 2008, 11:24 am · #53

idk, I was too concerned about getting it up to the storage spot and not having it die.  I think it will be ok, but we'll see.

Oh yea, your list of the stuff this thing needs is tragically short, add a radiator (think its leaking), rad. hoses, a battery that ISNT for a LAWNMOWER, tires that aren't cracked to shit, new belts, and other various little shit I'm forgetting atm.  But yeah, a huge improvement from before lol

seishukuMay 26, 2008, 10:25 pm · #54

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that battery! Not like you'll have to deal with winter anymore.

200sxkitcarMay 29, 2008, 12:10 am · #55

Its not the CA/CCA, which are actually quite good, but more the fact that the battery construction itself may not be worthy of prolonged underhood desert climate heat.  The last thing you would want would be a battery exploding, an underhood fire would ruin another one of J's cars lol!

Oh yea, I did pick up the PS fitting that I was missing, so that end of it is complete.

silverarrow27May 30, 2008, 2:41 pm · #56

Looks great, great fabbing Sterling!

ArroMay 30, 2008, 4:14 pm · #57

Well I would have the battery by now but those Odysseys are back-ordered. Sucks!

I'm picking up the car next weekend... Sterling, PM me their phone number number so I can coordinate with the nice folks that have sheltered this puppy for so long.

seishukuMay 30, 2008, 7:06 pm · #58
200sxkitcar
Its not the CA/CCA, which are actually quite good, but more the fact that the battery construction itself may not be worthy of prolonged underhood desert climate heat.  The last thing you would want would be a battery exploding, an underhood fire would ruin another one of J's cars lol!

Oh yea, I did pick up the PS fitting that I was missing, so that end of it is complete.
Can dry-cell batteries explode?
I don't think the temps would be enough to affect it though, since your average car battery can take the heat as well...
:shrugs:
WankelMonkeyMay 31, 2008, 10:45 am · #59

So Jason, you better get vid of this cars maiden voyage! Oh and have a friend talk about 12 year old girls

ArroMay 31, 2008, 1:59 pm · #60

Oh you mean like, "We can fit a half dozen 12 year old girls in teh hatch area if we put the rear sets down" ?

mod_mastazSep 21, 2008, 6:35 pm · #61

OH right. My s12 is "stock"... looking. Muhahaha.  I don't reveal all my details in thread. Anyway, We race and see who's faster. I'm almost done. Give me another two or three weeks. I gotta get smogged and registered before I can drive there.

DraconisSep 21, 2008, 6:38 pm · #62

I have to say since I've seen this and driven it.  It looks like a pita at the moment but it has a bit of pep.  I love the low end torque and the 4.11 gear ratio in the diff.!  I have to say it is more capable than my ka24de s12 I had at launch.  I love the ka24de and advise it.

Arro, you have a s14 ka or a s13 ka?  That may be the difference... just age age and stuff.

Also, out of all the s12s i've driven and felt, this is by far the most responsive one I've played with.  I didn't put any significant amount of pressure on the throttle and it was taking off.  By far better than any n/a engine.  If I can grab that in my rb, which I have ideas as to how,  I'll love it.

RedneckSep 21, 2008, 6:48 pm · #63
Arro
Stock, a KA24DE is 155 hp @ 5200 rpm and 160 ft-lb @ 4200 rpm.
Max power should actually be at 5,600 rpm. Either way very nice to see you finished it. Time for new rear shocks/springs .
ArroSep 21, 2008, 8:57 pm · #64
Draconis
Arro, you have a s14 ka or a s13 ka?  That may be the difference... just age age and stuff.

It's out of a 1995 S14. OBD 1.5

EternalSwap
So what happened to the key? lol

hahah dude it was like, wedged between the seats in the Neon. I didn't look hard enough when you were here. Sorry

bartc_jSep 21, 2008, 10:35 pm · #65

gotta say now actually seeing a ka in action im quite impressed....

ArroSep 21, 2008, 10:44 pm · #66

Just you wait

I won't do much more other than some bolt-on crap, and that doesn't mean turbo. Not for the time being at least. I want to get it looking nice again, and get the suspension squared away.

RedneckSep 22, 2008, 2:00 am · #67
Redneck
Max power should actually be at 5,600 rpm.
I am surprised no one has pointed out that this is wrong .

I was thinking of the ka24e which apparently revs to 5,600 for max power. I still can't believe max power on the de is 5,200 rpm. Thats so whack. I thought for the longest time it was 5,600 rpm.
sideways_s12Sep 22, 2008, 3:05 am · #68
Arro
Finally had some time to take vids of the car in action since Hillkill got the exhaust hooked up (thanks again, Eric). I'm a big dork, so these vids are NSFC (not safe for coolness). I just tend to have perma-grin when I take the car out around the block. Thanks also to my friend Debi, the cam jockey for the day.

[a href=\"http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/arrospeed/S12_Tech/?action=view&current=KA_in_action_01.flv\" target=\"_blank\"]

Very few minor mechanical details, mostly now just cosmetic and some suspension refreshing, before I go S13/Z31 w/ 5-lug. Then just clean 'er up and get 'er registered


Now that you got it running go ahead and bring that beast to vegas so I can hand you your ass lmao!!!
brewster240Sep 22, 2008, 3:11 am · #69

needs more turbonium.

asparagusSep 22, 2008, 3:16 am · #70
bartc_j
gotta say now actually seeing a ka in action im quite impressed....

shun the nonbeliever
ArroSep 22, 2008, 3:40 am · #71
sideways_s12
Now that you got it running go ahead and bring that beast to vegas so I can hand you your ass lmao!!!

"running" doesn't mean "roadworthy". It's close, but not quite.

brewster240
needs more turbonium.

Agreed. All things in time...

asparagus
shun the nonbeliever

*hands out pitchforks and torches*
EternalSwapSep 22, 2008, 3:50 am · #72
Arro

hahah dude it was like, wedged between the seats in the Neon. I didn't look hard enough when you were here. Sorry
Haha gay. I still can't even get my computer online
ArroSep 22, 2008, 4:43 am · #73
EternalSwap
Haha gay. I still can't even get my computer online

WTF? Why not? I have another wireless USB adapter I found, it's newer. Prolly works with the better encryption.

Get in touch with me if you need to.
demonic s12Sep 22, 2008, 3:16 pm · #74

holy squat batman!

sideways_s12Sep 22, 2008, 3:17 pm · #75
Arro
"running" doesn't mean "roadworthy". It's close, but not quite.


well quit fucking around and start the car lol so you can get beat by the fastest s12 in vegas
ArroSep 22, 2008, 3:26 pm · #76

I'm busy putting living expenses over buying car parts  It's gonna have to wait.

When I get the funds, and by the time it's up in Vegas, the odds are heavily stacked against you man, but I'll be reasonable and say "we'll have to see".

demonic s12Sep 22, 2008, 3:46 pm · #77
sideways_s12

well quit fucking around and start the car lol so you can get beat by the fastest s12 in vegas

lmao

thats like saying the fastest BMW isetta in north jersey

or the winningest of the disabled olympics
sideways_s12Sep 22, 2008, 7:00 pm · #78
Arro
I'm busy putting living expenses over buying car parts  It's gonna have to wait.

When I get the funds, and by the time it's up in Vegas, the odds are heavily stacked against you man, but I'll be reasonable and say "we'll have to see".


haha by the time that happens trust me my car will be waaaay faster!!

caraudiofoolery
lmao

thats like saying the fastest BMW isetta in north jersey

or the winningest of the disabled olympics


I don't know what the fuck your problem is or why your being an ass but you need to fucking quit this is thread no.2 that your talking shit towards me I'm normally cool with you and never had a problem but you need to quit with the shit talking

Oh and arro unless your gonna be boosted by then you will get walked hell even if you are boosted your gonna have a hellova time beating me
demonic s12Sep 22, 2008, 7:28 pm · #79
sideways_s12

I don't know what the fuck your problem is or why your being an ass but you need to fucking quit this is thread no.2 that your talking shit towards me I'm normally cool with you and never had a problem but you need to quit with the shit talking

i understand that, but youre being out of line and being very boastful, to the fact that its pretty insulting.

im not the only one who thinks this way, perhaps a little self-checking would be in order?
rduranS12Sep 22, 2008, 7:42 pm · #80

nice.

JaySep 6, 2010, 3:13 am · #81
Arro
Yeah Jon, a lil' bit o' the Christmas Car will end up in yours with any luck

He was a soldier of rome... HONOR HIM!
hotdoghogieSep 6, 2010, 3:16 am · #82

Arro deff has perfect mullet hair.