Browse › Engines ›Other engine swaps

Vq/vg Option Swaps Only

Started by nismologist · Dec 8, 2008 · 71postsSMF 2010–26

ArroDec 9, 2008, 4:30 pm · #51

Check it out, y0...

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VG_engine#VG33ER

The 3.3 L (3275 cc) VG33ER is supercharged and produces 210 hp (157 kW) at 4800 rpm with 246 ft·lbf (334 Nm) of torque at 2800 rpm.

That's the same hp as a 2G turbo DSM, and nearly as much torque. Without the lagtime!

I can tell you this much man, throw a 4:11 turbo rear end in your car, and you'll be kickin'. I'm guestimating that my KA w/ 2.5" full exhaust and an intake is somewhere around 175-180hp and probably closer to 200 ft-lbs.... and ask the handful of people who've driven it, and they'll tell you it's already a little rocket.

I've been reading and paying attention to what it is you're actually after as far as results go... a VG33ER w/ 4:11 rear end, 2.5" exhaust, and an intake... will nab you that and then some, I think you'll have a shit-eating grin the first time you get in it and get on the pedal.
nismologistDec 9, 2008, 7:24 pm · #52

youre right.i think im going to go check one out soon.im yearning for the charged engine.it all depends.im actually going to think and study my options and post my final ideas and see what you guys think.arro thanks for the info man.it helps.

LeegamerDec 9, 2008, 7:54 pm · #53

The VG33E is a pretty torquey feeling engine, my mom has one in her Frontier, but I've never driven a car/truck with the ER installed.  I'd definitely be interested in seeing one installed in an S12.  A few people have done th VG33e-T in Z31s and it's awesome.

gadget1382Dec 9, 2008, 8:54 pm · #54

Ok, as mentioned before in other threads.

I am doing VQ30det+t.

I have spent probably the last year and a half researching and collating info and parts and still am no where near finished before i start lining up the engine to the body.

VQ30det's have not 1, but 3 timing chains, have 4 rpm sensors and share componenets with VQ30de's and SR20's and VQ35's and to a lesser extent the VQ41 and VQ25...

S13's have been taking the VQ30 and VQ35 quite easily with the adapter kits that are available. Though most are shonky and i'd rather not use them! Not to mention they would need "adjusting" anyway to fit our chassis.

The best thing is the TT kit's and supercharger kits bolt straight up!

I will let you know now. The ECU wiring is linked to the key code on the chassis security system. which you will need to bypass or splice in. You will have many fault codes in which you need to fake signals to overcome and a stand alone system for them are not cheap.

I have spliced myself (non - electrical engineer) an S13 loom into my S12 to get a CA18det and a stage 2 auto from the same 180SX (your 240SX) to work. It took AGES and was a nightmare to get running propperly without signal loops etc. (3-6months) But it's done. Since then i have realised despite the diagrams on forums, they are nothing compared to actually doing it.

The VQ35 in particular will potrude beyond the bonnet as they are taller than the VG as the V angle is less. The VQHR will cause extra issues with dual intakes etc, but a converted FW VQ30-35 from a maxima will possibly offer easier installation. The X-terra you guys get also has a supercharged RWD version... that would kick ass! Navara ones are also available in 4lt's!

Anywho...

There's much to learn young grass hoppers!!

Ask away...

nismologistDec 9, 2008, 8:59 pm · #55

VG is definitely the motor type im sticking with.just quicker.

gadget1382Dec 9, 2008, 9:10 pm · #56

Wise move.

Now if sticking NA, consult the Zed owners as they have been re-building and working those since their inception.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to see a VQ35de or even VQ35HR in an S12, i just think, like many, that it takes a hell of alot more commitment, both time and financially to go down that path that what many are prepared to commit.

I, on the other hand, am proud to say i'm nuts, but have nutty friends supporting my idea's.

nismologistDec 9, 2008, 10:59 pm · #57

i got the financial and the commitment.i dont have the time.i refuse to have any other car to drive but my se.the vq will simply take to much time.i cant afford to have no car all summer.plus the drives in the summer in cali are something i must have in an s12.doesnt the vg33er bolt up to my c transmission?it is a truck motor exclusively  i think.wikipedia here i come.

DraconisDec 9, 2008, 11:29 pm · #58

Should be able to bolt up to a C tranny.  I think all the VGs came with a C tranny.  What you may need to worry about though is the bell housing.

gadget1382I, on the other hand, am proud to say i'm nuts, but have nutty friends supporting my idea's.

And that is why I love you Aussies.  Not to mention those Brits.  You two are some of bloody crazy!  But hell, I follow right in your footsteps.  LOL  I spend more time surfing Aussie car websites/forums than those based in the States.  Not to mention, I read your guys' news along with the BBC and such.  But you already knew that.  All the random news bits I post up about you Aussies.  LOL  And yes, I know a Brit really well out in Upstate New York.  We call him Crazy Andy or Mad Andy.  He has some crazy ideas but the finances, knowledge and connections to back it up.  Cant wait to work him some more.
DatsmODec 12, 2008, 9:26 am · #59

im all for going with the VQ swap because of the originality. i was actually going to do that swap until i got an sr  i did alot of research on it and vq's are now not to expencive to buy and vq's have been done on some old 240z's im sure with some custom work and wiring from a g35 or somthing you could make it work. i was going to do the swap. hell ill even help you do the swap if your willing to try it. i want to see it done more than anyone.

fyneyoungstunnaDec 29, 2008, 1:56 pm · #60

damn   +12 for julie. she said it. just do it.

wiring wont be an issue, just talk to sterling real nice and rational like and im shure he can at least give you some pointers and turn you in the right direction.

motor mounts. once again not hard, just look at what it will take to mash the s12 mounts and whatever engine mounts you are gonna use together, and then strenghten them up. for something like this i would highly recommend staying away from the home made poly bushings, if your gonna do it do it right.

i keep saying look into the old z engines, plenty of power less wiring, and they  may be a bit long but im shure you can comp for that somehow.

so many ppl in this world use the word cant.......and yet they have put a man on the moon, a car that drives under water, and a smart car that smokes porsches and lambos.....go figure!!!!!

nismologistDec 29, 2008, 2:25 pm · #61

hell yeah.im going to try and reproduce the v6 rally car.

EightySix200SXFeb 3, 2009, 2:34 pm · #62

i was on ur blog dude. shit u were in hollywood. i club up there alot with mah bois at the avalon dude. we coulda met up. anyway im prolly gonna roll up north with hung dude. so when the time comes ill prolly meet. anyway i didnt want shit, just 2 say whats up. oh by the way killer pics dude! keep it up.

p.s that cat pic is sweet dude...............

nismologistFeb 3, 2009, 6:54 pm · #63

i wasnt in hollywood?

Wolf DilworthApr 28, 2010, 2:17 am · #64
brewster240
vg34 was not a typo, thats why i typed it twice.
its a 33 bored out with 45 pistons.

there used to be a great article on one built for a pathfinder, but the site is down.

Yeah I was going to do the VG-34E for my 510 project till I settled on the VG-30DE.

The -33E block has more meat around the cylinders so you can bore over far enough to get the Q45 pistons in.  Basically you use the block and heads from a VG-33E and crank from the -30E... Here is a spliced e-mail I made several years back.  It may be a little hard to follow but it gives you the figures (recipe) for the -34E.

VG30 block displacement increase query
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:17:35 -0800

OK here's my situation,
   I need to send my VG block to the machine shop.  I was thinking while my engine was apart, if there's any way to increase the power? Displacement increase, bore, stroke, compression ratio increase?  If so, what pistons should I use (p/n if you have it) How much can I safely overbore a VG, are there any cranks I can use for a ââ,¬Å"Strokerââ,¬Â motor? other suggestions?
I'm already porting the heads and I'm using a .430"/264 camshaft. Thanks again...

-Troy "power hungry" Siahaan

Troy, Tom, and list,
   VGs are very much like L-series in that you can mix and match lots of parts.  ALL North American VGââ,¬â,,¢s have the same stroke and they all have the same size bearing journals.  The VG30E block cannot be bored to use VG33 pistons, the cylinder walls are too thin. The magic formula to build a VG34 is this: Bore a VG33 block .060 over. Use *stock* 1995 Infiniti Q45 pistons, rings, and wrist pins. Use VG30ET rods with custom, larger I.D. small end bushings as the Q45 wrist pins are 1mm larger. You can use any SOHC VG crank (they are ALL cast), but there are differences in front snouts and related accessories so use one you've got all the parts for. Avoid any SOHC VG crank that's been run with a serpentine accessory belt as these tend to break off the crank snout! The above VG34 combination is the one used in the off road trucks. If I remember right this bottom end comes out to 10.5:1 compression, perfect for a street motor. Sly said a VG34 with "good" cams and stock heads will make 250hp on 93 octane in street-trim. With port work and the "right" cams and intake a VG34 can make 300hp on pump gas. Sly says that no matter what you do they won't make power over 6500rpm as the displacement is too big for the head design. The question I've never heard answered is what happens when you turbo a VG34? I don't know anyone that's done it so I don't know what the limit is. I'm guessing the crank will come apart first. I've been told by many that SOHC VG cranks are short lived when 350hp is exceeded. It is possible to use the forged DOHC crank in a SOHC block but it requires a custom flywheel and messing around with a few things to make it go together. It's relatively painless but I've only done one so far. If you are thinking about building any VG be warned that they are difficult and expensive just to rebuild stock. Many automotive machine shops cannot hold the tolerances necessary to make a VG live, especially if it's warmed-over. Rebuild parts are also expensive, but then they should last 200k miles.

-David Carroll,
Experimental Engineering, www.vg30.com

   In my case, I started with the VG33 block (vintage 97).  It was bore 0.060 over not because it needed it but because I planned to pump up the CR and new JE pistons where going to be ordered anyhow.  So why not grab another 100cc's. So now it is 3.4 liters (roughly).  The stroke and rod length between the VG30 and VG33 was working from were alike.  The reason I mention this is because the only difference between my two blocks was bore.  So, using rough calculations, you would have to punch the VG30 0.180" to get the 3.3 liter displacement.  Once you got there you could use VG33 pistons.  However, the ones that came in my VG33 were dished and the VG30 pistons were "near" flat tops so CR could be a problem.  But here again, if youââ,¬â,,¢re going to pay for the machining, and have to run out to the junkyard to get the VG33 pistons, why not just get the VG33 short block and bolt your modified heads to it?  At the same time I have seen conflicting reports on the interchangeability of the VG30 and VG33 heads (back and forth).  There are some subtle water jacket passages when I last inspected them side by side, the real question here which I haven't answered is; how much meat you have to work with in the VG30 block.  I would call the Nissan Motor-Sports guys and see if they can provide you the data.  Sly is the best guy to talk to.  But once you know the limit you will likely have to buy custom pistons.

-Tom

  Well vg33 were also in 96+ Pathifinders, Frontiers/Xterras and 97+ Quest got them.  As far as the VG34 hybridââ,¬Â¦.for an extra 100cc I donââ,¬â,,¢t think itââ,¬â,,¢s worth it at all other than to say you have it. If you plan on raising the compression ratio then it makes sense, but pump gas isnââ,¬â,,¢t getting any better in some places so thatââ,¬â,,¢s another factor to think about.  9:1 is fine for street use, hell Iââ,¬â,,¢m running a VG30 in my car and it put 191hp to the rear wheels, with headers, cam gears and pathfinder intakeââ,¬Â¦..all on a motor with 330,00kms and 9:1 compression. Add 10% for the VG33 and a gain of around 15-20hp and your up to 210-ish to the wheelsââ,¬Â¦..cams, port/polish, balance/blueprint, ECU tuning and 300hp is a real possibility. All that work for 100cc seems like a waste when you can invest that better elsewhere.

"Denis"



XanoApr 28, 2010, 4:07 am · #65

dead thread ftl   over a year old!  its ok though, I forgive you.

MaxpowApr 28, 2010, 5:36 am · #66
Xano
dead thread ftl   over a year old!  its ok though, I forgive you.


But now when someone thinks about posting another "lawl I am gunna swap(but not really cause I know nothing about cars)" thread they will see this and get some knowledge.
a tin pan alleyApr 28, 2010, 7:41 am · #67

no they won't. they'll just post what they were going to anyway. ha

Wolf DilworthApr 28, 2010, 6:23 pm · #68
nismologist
looking to swap motors again.new v6 type.vq35 to be exact.but im open to any suggestions on v6 nissan engines.

Well, here is a VQ-35 in a Dime.

If that can be done... How much money and time do you have.  

Money being to the inverse of time.

posted image

Peace, Wolf
jphillipsJul 30, 2010, 1:50 pm · #69

holy necrothread batman!

lol weve got a vq35de and 6spd tranny sitting in my buddys garage..... no harness though just motor and tranny
still have?  I need!  already have the 6speed, just need the longblock.  B15 needs a beefy mill.  

That dime is lustworthy
bluke1May 14, 2011, 11:51 pm · #70

yes, i am intentionally dragging this old post out because it contains info. i found in my search. i plan to put a fresh vg into my se in the near future. i read recently that if you bore out a vg30e to fit the vg33 pistons that the wall thickness was the same as a stock vg33e. this post contradicts that. i want to overbore by 0.040 with higher compression but if the vg33 pistons fit then why not? my budget is not an issue. i do not intend to build  a high strung race motor, just want to squeak out a little more power that can run on pump gas. turbo is not an option on my se, as i want to keep it close to stock. i have other s12s that might wind up with boost. so does anyone have other references or even better, personal experience with the vg33  pistons?

BoostedVGOct 4, 2011, 8:41 am · #71
z31performance.com Yes terribly old post I'm dragging out due to boredom