Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

The Impulsion s12 Build

Started by Praizewood · Dec 18, 2008 · 75postsSMF 2010–26

sam31183Oct 5, 2009, 12:50 am · #51

canada has the harshest winters known to man...they go right through summer! lol jk...kind of...

jeffwins24Oct 5, 2009, 12:52 am · #52

I feel better about my Z31 rust and over coming it. thank you i needed that. I was tossing up the idea of buying a clean n/a shell and swapping everything over, but i don't need to, mines is bad but fixable.

MaxpowOct 5, 2009, 12:58 am · #53

Nasty rust. Sweet swappage though.

Alex FrostOct 5, 2009, 1:06 am · #54

The Corolla is a rally car and that how they done it in the 80's.  it works...no leaks and it can't get torn off

As for this S12...it really isn't that bad compared to what I have fixed on S12's in the past.  At least my frame rails are ok.  small holes in the rear rockers but also fixable.  The bad one was KAS12 #2  it had the drivers side strut collapse through the hood at a drift event a couple years back.  That one was fun to fix!

D-sport S12Oct 5, 2009, 2:12 am · #55

my strut tower rust was in the exact same place, just not as bad lol, still wasnt fun to fix

LeegamerMar 2, 2010, 9:25 am · #56

Can't wait for pics.

PraizewoodMar 4, 2010, 3:21 pm · #57
Leegamer
  Can't wait for pics.
Got car back and sills, bottom end of doors, rear fenders and a point between hatch and rear pillar are all fixed up and just needs a paint. I have never done or had experience in having done any rust maintenance so when I go take pictures tomorrow at daylight and post them in here I would like to hear what you think of the results. It looks good in my eyes but who knows  

Front fenders are too much work to do I was told, so I need to think about either fixing them or finding some fine fenders from somewhere. Ebay has primed fenders for 150$ each. Good price I would say but I'll have to think about it.
PraizewoodMar 5, 2010, 4:04 am · #58

Here they are:

PraizewoodMar 8, 2010, 10:22 am · #59

Ah mankind stupidness.

I just ruined a completely good working weatherstrip because I thought I had bought a Left one and then realise that it was for the right side. Next time it rains onto my head, I'll remember not to be as stupid next time.

PraizewoodMar 9, 2010, 3:59 pm · #60

Got a stock t2 turbo installed today along with replacing a lot of cooling lines. Haven't fired it up yet but will tomorrow. I hope my mpg will improve as I've had around 16mpg for some time. Changed termostat and got around 23-24mpg and now I need the last 2-3 from having a turbo. Being a student + gas prices sucks.

As I was replacing some of the lines, it seemed that there was one going from the fuelrail to the catch tank. I thought the catch tank was for oil from the cam only?

PraizewoodMar 10, 2010, 10:57 am · #61

Today I had the chance to drive it around to see if it all worked properly. I had a turbo leak, so tightened the clamp over turbo and now there is leak randomly at maximum boost, so have to re-check that again.

Other than that, there was a mechanical and loud sound when boost came in. My guess is that the manifold is not tightened enough and that the pressure makes it flap constantly. The fact that one of the bolts underneath the manifold is gone makes this possibility more likely. So either helicoil or something alike..

Johnny_boiMar 10, 2010, 12:08 pm · #62

good to see ur getting it buttoned up

SlickS12Mar 10, 2010, 12:31 pm · #63
Praizewood
The fact that one of the bolts underneath the manifold is gone makes this possibility more likely. So either helicoil or something alike..

It sounds like that would be a pretty annoying sound, probably the next step would be to pull that sucker out and replace it
PraizewoodMar 10, 2010, 12:50 pm · #64
Johnny_boi
good to see ur getting it buttoned up
Thanks

SlickS12
It sounds like that would be a pretty annoying sound, probably the next step would be to pull that sucker out and replace it  
Im refusing to take all the crap out again  Will try to re-tighten the one bolt under the manifold and see if it can hold it
PraizewoodApr 5, 2010, 3:33 pm · #65

Well. Never thought it would happen and I would say this, but school and economy can force you into things. I've just put my s12 up for sale. As said, partly the economy where I have to cut down on hours to work in order to focus more on school. This also means, I'm not going to be able to afford parts, repairs and insurance if I ever want to save some for the future. I never got to be able to do the things I wanted to with the car. Repainting, pepping up the engine and just be able to work on the car without having to pay 15$ an hour for garage rental. 8$ per gallon gas prices doesn't make this any easier. Bart letting me down with the loads of parts I ordered didn't make it any easier either. Really sad about this but I know that once I finish education and get a job, I'll pay japan a visit and add another rs-x to the club. Until then I'm a loser with a bicycle and a post whore in off topic  Any of you ca18 owners if you need some parts, hit me up. Got 500hp good professionally rebuilt clutch, gaskets and mudflaps. Might sell my impul super-gt wheel + hub and gearknob as well

LeegamerApr 5, 2010, 3:52 pm · #66
Praizewood
Well. Never thought it would happen and I would say this, but school and economy can force you into things. I've just put my s12 up for sale. As said, partly the economy where I have to cut down on hours to work in order to focus more on school. This also means, I'm not going to be able to afford parts, repairs and insurance if I ever want to save some for the future. I never got to be able to do the things I wanted to with the car. Repainting, pepping up the engine and just be able to work on the car without having to pay 15$ an hour for garage rental. 8$ per gallon gas prices doesn't make this any easier. Bart letting me down with the loads of parts I ordered didn't make it any easier either. Really sad about this but I know that once I finish education and get a job, I'll pay japan a visit and add another rs-x to the club. Until then I'm a loser with a bicycle and a post whore in off topic  Any of you ca18 owners if you need some parts, hit me up. Got 500hp good professionally rebuilt clutch, gaskets and mudflaps. Might sell my impul super-gt wheel + hub and gearknob as well


Sucks bud...but I feel you pain.  I think my S12 is going on the selling block soon, too.
PraizewoodApr 5, 2010, 6:31 pm · #67
Leegamer
Sucks bud...but I feel you pain.  I think my S12 is going on the selling block soon, too.
a shame. Well you got your ae 300zx so you should still be happy
JayApr 5, 2010, 7:25 pm · #68
Praizewood
Really sad about this but I know that once I finish education and get a job, I'll pay japan a visit and add another rs-x to the club.

If they exist anymore. I have had a hard enough time with my cohort in the land of the rising sun finding one for myself.

Although, I've been finicky. saying I'll only take an FJ20ET

If I were you I wouldn't give up. Forget the aspirations for now and just get it running as is. That way, you have it, it can move, and when you do decide to get to it. It's there.

I'm doing this with my probe currently. Waiting and biding my time
PraizewoodApr 5, 2010, 7:40 pm · #69
Jay
If they exist anymore. I have had a hard enough time with my cohort in the land of the rising sun finding one for myself.

Although, I've been finicky. saying I'll only take an FJ20ET

If I were you I wouldn't give up. Forget the aspirations for now and just get it running as is. That way, you have it, it can move, and when you do decide to get to it. It's there.

I'm doing this with my probe currently. Waiting and biding my time
True I'm not expecting it to be easy too. If impossible, a s110 wouldn't be bad as well

The trouble is insurance. Really costs much almost as much as the car itself and since I have no storage for it, it can't be done in any other way. Or else I would have done that.

Btw I see a red probe once or twice a week lately. Good looking car!
EternalSwapApr 6, 2010, 4:39 am · #70

dammit omer nooo
still come out to the usa and drive mine, smash it into some stuff. it'll be fun!

PraizewoodApr 6, 2010, 5:10 am · #71
EternalSwap
dammit omer nooo
still come out to the usa and drive mine, smash it into some stuff. it'll be fun!
You got corn fields? Always wanted to smash through a corn field!
EternalSwapApr 7, 2010, 3:33 pm · #72

socal has no such thing, go see David for that.

Alex FrostApr 13, 2010, 1:40 am · #73

So I noticed after Jason gave me trouble  that the last time that I updated this was back in October.  Well since then I have done quite a bit, and here is the state of it.  In fact these are even a bit old because it is not back ready for the road minus the insurance bit.  So without further waiting here is Kazu updated.

posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

Front is good, but I really need rear spacers...

200sxkitcarApr 13, 2010, 3:06 am · #74

nice!

paint the primed area so you don't get rust again, and if the master cylinder is still leaking get it replaced as thats what damaged that area.

car looks great man!

ArroApr 13, 2010, 7:51 am · #75

Awesome progress, Alex  Look forward to whatever info you have commin' our way.