Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Pierce Ford's 1985 Turbo Build Thread

Started by Saavedro88 · Aug 12, 2009 · 100postsSMF 2010–26

JayAug 29, 2010, 6:12 pm · #51
Saavedro88Alright. After BSing around for ages and days, I can't find anything I can do to make this car turbo for cheap. So I've decided to go ahead and just drop the engine in NA for now, Maybe do a DOHC build in the future.

Got a couple questions though:
Is there a manual rack I can look into for drifting this car? Can I convert my PS rack to manual?

I have a pretty much complete S13 front suspension setup, should I do all that before I drop the engine back in?

Info and input, as well as opinions, are always appreciated.

You can take out the current rack and make it manual. How-to is found on Seishuku (Matts) build thread. But power steering is better for drift. Quicker easier lock to lock. It's worth getting and installing the single cam CA power steering hoses and making it work, or getting another line made to connect the two. You could even modify the stock S12 one to make it work (I've done it, not really recommended, but I have done it using brake line...)

Do the suspension after the motor. It's easier to work on a motor on a car that isn't dropped on coilovers
Saavedro88Aug 29, 2010, 7:33 pm · #52
JayIt's worth getting and installing the single cam CA power steering hoses and making it work, or getting another line made to connect the two.

Do the suspension after the motor. It's easier to work on a motor on a car that isn't dropped on coilovers

Ok, sounds good. My dealership also repairs work trucks and semi's and things, so we can make pretty much any kind of high pressure hose with any fittings, I'll probably just have them make me one.

Thanks for all your help dude, You're like, Dominating this build thread for me, It's awesome!
Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 5:59 pm · #53

SO pissed right now. I spent all afternoon yesterday getting everything ready to drop the KA back in today. Woke up early this morning so I could buy some Hockey Pucks to make some motor mounts.

Spent two and a half hours  looking for some god damn hockey pucks.

I found 1. ONE.

Guess the engine isn't going back in today. Super pissed.

JaySep 6, 2010, 6:09 pm · #54
Saavedro88SO pissed right now. I spent all afternoon yesterday getting everything ready to drop the KA back in today. Woke up early this morning so I could buy some Hockey Pucks to make some motor mounts.

Spent two and a half hours  looking for some god damn hockey pucks.

I found 1. ONE.

Guess the engine isn't going back in today. Super pissed.

And that one was probably overpriced too....
Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 6:11 pm · #55
JayAnd that one was probably overpriced too....

$2.50. Not too bad. I didn't get it though, what am I gonna do with just one??
KustamogenSep 6, 2010, 6:25 pm · #56

lol you will hate puck mounts oh so much....maybe your engine runs smoother...but I had pucks in when I originally swapped in my ca18det....once you were into the revs it wasnt bad.....but at idle it would almost shake your fillings out....the next day I found some s13 mounts and had them sent to me lol So much nicer! I was told puck mounts werent too bad....but either theyre lying fucks or Im a pussy! AND IM NO PUSSY! *flexes*

Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 6:41 pm · #57
KustamogenI was told puck mounts werent too bad....

They aren't. I can't imagine they could possibly be worse than solid mounts, which I've had in several of my other cars.
KustamogenSep 6, 2010, 6:47 pm · #58

lol I remember sitting at a light and keeping it at 1500rpm and still it was rough enough to shake off my rearview mirror......if solid mounts are worse than puck mounts I dont know why/how ppl can stand them

Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 6:52 pm · #59
Kustamogenif solid mounts are worse than puck mounts I dont know why/how ppl can stand them

We don't put them in our DD cars.
KustamogenSep 6, 2010, 6:56 pm · #60

lol STILL!....I wouldnt even want a track car that horridly uncomfortable. Ive learned my lesson with mounts

Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 6:59 pm · #61
Kustamogenlol STILL!....I wouldnt even want a track car that horridly uncomfortable. Ive learned my lesson with mounts

Lol. Have you ever actually tracked a car? A naked bodied, race prepped car is HORRENDOUSLY uncomfortable anyways...
KustamogenSep 6, 2010, 7:05 pm · #62

I raced go karts! lol.....those motor mounts were nice!

Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 7:07 pm · #63
KustamogenI raced go karts!

LOL! Than you aught to know!
KustamogenSep 6, 2010, 7:11 pm · #64

they hurt my kidneys

but I was young I could take it! Im old balls now an want to be able to sip my tea at a stop light

Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 7:14 pm · #65
Kustamogenthey hurt my kidneys

but I was young I could take it! Im old balls now an want to be able to sip my tea at a stop light

What you need is a Jaguar.
JaySep 6, 2010, 7:16 pm · #66
Saavedro88$2.50. Not too bad. I didn't get it though, what am I gonna do with just one??

Throw it at the store manager with furious intent, yelling at the top of your lungs "You can't have just one!"

Or just hold onto it until he gets his next one. Buy it, why not? If it doesn't move, there's a good chance they only stock one
KustamogenSep 6, 2010, 7:18 pm · #67

lol I have like 30 pucks around my basement and back yard.....too bad you didnt live closer

Saavedro88Sep 6, 2010, 7:19 pm · #68
JayThrow it at the store manager with furious intent, yelling at the top of your lungs "You can't have just one!"

Or just hold onto it until he gets his next one. Buy it, why not? If it doesn't move, there's a good chance they only stock one

At the rate of which I found any other pucks, I doubt they'd be getting more in any time soon. I ordered some online, I'll have those before anyone would ever restock them.
EternalSwapSep 7, 2010, 5:28 am · #69
Kustamogenlol I have like 30 pucks around my basement and back yard.....too bad you didnt live closer
yeah, but youre canadian.
like we have baseballs and shit here laying around in our backyards
Saavedro88Sep 7, 2010, 5:37 am · #70
EternalSwapyeah, but youre canadian.
like we have baseballs and shit here laying around in our backyards

Right? I mean if you could make money out of old frisbee's, I'd be pretty damn set...
JaySep 7, 2010, 5:38 am · #71
EternalSwapyeah, but youre canadian.
like we have baseballs and shit here laying around in our backyards

 

Is THAT what I'm supposed to do!?

And here I was thinking it was supposed to be porno mags, cocaine stashes, and dead hookers....
Saavedro88Sep 7, 2010, 5:39 am · #72
Jay

Is THAT what I'm supposed to do!?

It's ok, you're in Wisconsin, you can get away with it.
JaySep 7, 2010, 5:42 am · #73
Saavedro88It's ok, you're in Wisconsin, you can get away with it.

Being from wisconsin nets me a lot of excuses and benefits, actually..........
Saavedro88Sep 7, 2010, 5:48 am · #74
JayBeing from wisconsin nets me a lot of excuses and benefits, actually..........

Such as??
JaySep 7, 2010, 5:50 am · #75
Saavedro88Such as??

"Adorable" accent to most ladies of the nation - excuse
Work ethic (Is very revered nationwide) - excuse
cheap stuff - benefit
Good educational system - benefit
HOBBYIST VEHICLE REGISTRATION!!! -benefit
BadgerCare - benefit

to name a few
Saavedro88Sep 7, 2010, 5:56 am · #76
Jay
HOBBYIST VEHICLE REGISTRATION!!! -benefit


I don't know what that is, but it sounds awesome and I WANT IT!
JaySep 7, 2010, 5:58 am · #77
Saavedro88I don't know what that is, but it sounds awesome and I WANT IT!

Put simply, My S12 is a hobbyist vehicle. It's registered as a "Street modified" vehicle.
Which pretty much exemplifies me from many, many vehicle laws. Including exhaust

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehic...al/hobbyist.htm

EDIT: The state knows I don't have a cat on my car. And they don't care
Saavedro88Sep 7, 2010, 6:07 am · #78

Yeah we have something like that here in VA, called Antique registration, basically you don't have to have any state inspections, but you're still legally required to conform to the state laws of vehicle upkeep (i.e.: if you got pulled over and the cop pulled an impromptu inspection, you'd HAVE to pass), and you can only drive the vehicle to and from car shows...

Legally...

JaySep 7, 2010, 6:34 am · #79
Saavedro88Yeah we have something like that here in VA, called Antique registration, basically you don't have to have any state inspections, but you're still legally required to conform to the state laws of vehicle upkeep (i.e.: if you got pulled over and the cop pulled an impromptu inspection, you'd HAVE to pass), and you can only drive the vehicle to and from car shows...

Legally...


See, ours are nothing like that. No mileage or driving prohibitions. Only thing is you can't drive in January. Without a permit to do so (Which is 5 dollars or something like that a week)
No inspection to pass, after the "possible" initial one... because how can you inspect a vehicle that is no longer factory?  
The only thing really is the safety aspect. Having the OEM seat belts makes that one easy peasy. When I went to pick up my plates the state patrol looked at my car, saw seatbelts. declared it safe, and gave me my plates

I remember reading up on the your antique laws... Something about them really made me shake my head in wonder. I'll have to put a link in here when I find it
Saavedro88Sep 7, 2010, 1:31 pm · #80
JayI remember reading up on the your antique laws... Something about them really made me shake my head in wonder. I'll have to put a link in here when I find it


Dude, lol... There are a LOT of things about this pathetic state that make me shake my head EVERY DAY.
BreadboxSep 8, 2010, 2:39 pm · #81
Saavedro88Dude, lol... There are a LOT of things about this pathetic state that make me shake my head EVERY DAY.

For Real.

Nice build so far.
Saavedro88Sep 8, 2010, 3:33 pm · #82
BreadboxFor Real.

Nice build so far.

Lol, thanks. Not going so quickly. You in this state too?
Saavedro88Oct 11, 2010, 12:00 am · #83

Aight, so I log on today for like the first time in 3 months or whatever, and EVERYTHING is changed. Not sure how I feel about the new look, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So. Today I went to put the KA back in. Got my hockey pucks drilled through, got my AC stuff removed and everything. Set the engine in, but the mounts don't line up to the Pucks. Anyone else had any problem getting things lined up?

Saavedro88Nov 6, 2010, 8:45 pm · #84

Update, Got the engine in, everything's lined up, my Tranny mount isn't quite right, but I'll fix that later.

I'm trying to wire everything up now, and I'm like... DUDE. NOTHING makes sense right now. I've been staring at the CA to KA wiring guide that Sterling put up, but it DOESN'T make ANY sense.

This is what I have.

posted image

The alternator plug was no problem. Cut and solder, no big deal. I'm pretty sure that female spade is for the oil pressure sender, it's a straight black wire. Then I have these two other wires, the half circle eyelet is straight black, and the full circle eyelet with the rubber shroud is straight white, but it's MUCH to small to fit over the alternator stud.

Then I have this:

posted image

I'm pretty sure this is my lower harness, It's long enough to be (I've got it looped around to show you all the plugs that are on it). This is the only black and yellow wire I have, but it has this female connector on it, so isn't it supposed to get plugged into the male terminal coming off my starter? Why don't I have any other wires for the starter? I have nothing with a big enough eyelet on it to go over the starter except this:

posted image

Massive black w/ red wire with an eyelet large enough to to over the alternator OR the starter studs, and it's long enough to reach the starter. I was assuming this was for the Alternator, cause it's the only thing that fits and it comes straight off the positive battery terminal, but then I don't have any power to the starter...

Any help would be SUPER appreciated.

silvia loveNov 7, 2010, 8:32 pm · #85

1st pic,
yea spade is for oil pressure

the half circle is the ground on the alternator, the full is the exciter(power). make the hole bigger to make it fit on the alt.

the second pic
the black/yellow wire is for the starter, its the start signal
the three other plugs are for the tranny, like nuetral switch, 5th gear switch and reverse switch.

the last pic

does not go to alt, that goes directly to the starter from pos on battery

hope that helped

JayNov 8, 2010, 1:42 am · #86

First pic
Alternator Positive = round rubber piece
Alternator ground = round no rubber piece
Oil pressure = spade connector

Second pic
Black/Yellow wire starter signal
Rest not used

Third pic
Starter power

David BNov 9, 2010, 9:22 am · #87

sweet progress! id help with the wiring. for some food... chipoltle actually

i come down to richmond like every week

Navy_Mech2Nov 9, 2010, 3:08 pm · #88

your mudflaps are the shit. I want.

Saavedro88Nov 19, 2010, 3:22 am · #89
David B on 09:22:50 AM / 09-Nov-10sweet progress! id help with the wiring. for some food... chipoltle actually

i come down to richmond like every week

You do?? You should stop by sometime. For serious. And take this Blue car with you.
Saavedro88Nov 20, 2010, 8:49 pm · #90

Ok. So what have people been doing to hook up their PS rack to the SOHC KA pump?

Saavedro88Nov 23, 2010, 7:25 am · #91

Ahem...

http://www.youtube.com/user/saavedro88?feature=mhum

Turn down your speakers, dat bitch is LOUD!

Got the Transmission mount bolted up (had to be re-modified. STILL didn't wanna fit but she's in there now). Polyurethane reinforced it, hopefully that'll be dry by the time I get back on Saturday.   Tongue

posted image

Went to Chesterfield Auto Parts cause I saw last night that they had a freshly placed S13 in the yard. I was intending to not have power steering in the S12 when I took out the KA, so I just cut up all the PS lines thinking I wouldn't need them. So I picked up the PS lines, a cooling fan and clutch (because mine have mysteriously come up missing...), The correct year model intake tube, a power steering pump belt and tensioner pulley and a headlight for my Civic all for about 60$. God bless America.

Got pretty much everything put on tonight, probably would have been able to have it running, when low and behold, just as I'm tightening the last of the fan clutch bolts, The water pump starts dripping out coolant. VERY slowly at first, from underneath. But by the time I had retrieved my trusty Mirror-on-a-stick, it had graduated to a steady dribble. Sho' nuff, leaking from out da weep hole. FUCK. One more thing I have to buy (that I do NOT have money for). Deadline's getting closer, and I'm about to spend an entire week in Ohio...   huh I'm starting to get stressed about this thing...

DeezusNov 23, 2010, 12:05 pm · #92

Nissan and deadline dont mix.

EDIT: Almost like GT5 and Release date

David BNov 29, 2010, 10:17 am · #93

ive got a pump you can have for free. lol

just distance parts us


Post Merge: 11:50:49 AM / 29-Nov-10


posted image
posted image
posted image
Saavedro88Dec 9, 2010, 3:41 am · #94

?? What is that? A converted to manual steering rack?

tommyDec 9, 2010, 1:38 pm · #95

^^^yesir!

Saavedro88Dec 10, 2010, 8:21 pm · #96

Eff. I wish I'd known about that before I wrestled that KA ps line in...

LMRDAVEDec 11, 2010, 8:01 am · #97

The big one! The One and Only Preston Rally and boy was it fun!  yes

Seeded 46th, got up to 5th or 6th overall before NS front tyre locked against strut. Nothing obviously broken but too cold to check and I need a rest.

The old gal was something different and attracted a bit of attention at the start, and suprised quite alot on the road (myself included, went really well!)

The aftermath!

posted image

posted image

Thanks to the AA for getting home!

posted image

Silvia made it as one of the 'teaser' pictures from the offical photographer, more pics on the way, bought them all and he's ok with posting them up to share  yay!

posted image

tommyDec 11, 2010, 2:53 pm · #98

I just love the look of an s12 covered with dirt and mud...it looks like those cars belong on dirt road going sideways in a shower of mud!

glad it performed well also, way to go!

LMRDAVEDec 11, 2010, 4:30 pm · #99
tommy on 02:53:25 PM / 11-Dec-10I just love the look of an s12 covered with dirt and mud...it looks like those cars belong on dirt road going sideways in a shower of mud!

glad it performed well also, way to go!

You'll love some of the other pictures then!

Stripped it today, properly bent the old girl, we had lots of air and one massive tank slapper that did this . . .

posted image

Note angle of strut tube out of hub!  nerdyembarassed

And thats why I use loads of copper slip, cars tend to get muddy fast!

Here is the slight puncture . . .

posted image
David BDec 11, 2010, 11:10 pm · #100

taking apart the rack CAN be a pain in the ass if you dont have a good pipe wrench for gland nuts