Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Red's Ka24de Swap

Started by Redneck · Oct 28, 2009 · 80postsSMF 2010–26

EV S12Dec 12, 2009, 12:06 pm · #51

I'll ask if anyone's used that liquid electrical tape before, caus that could be an easy sealant and I'm curious.

ClutchKick86Dec 12, 2009, 1:41 pm · #52

you mentioned STERLING for the wiring info...where did u find this? im doing a KA soon and need all the simple wiring info i can get.
any help would be great.
your swap looks AWESOME! hope mine comes out that clean.

XanoDec 12, 2009, 1:48 pm · #53
ClutchKick86you mentioned STERLING for the wiring info...where did u find this? im doing a KA soon and need all the simple wiring info i can get.
any help would be great.
your swap looks AWESOME! hope mine comes out that clean.
That info is in the KA section....
ArroDec 12, 2009, 6:12 pm · #54

Redneck, dude, I need to pay closer attention to your thread  This is new info for us... it means ANY manual trans can be used with just a bellhousing swap, and no need for custom mounts or whatever.... so the only people who need custom mounts will be automatic guys, and Mark II automatics only need a straight bar across. Nice, sounds like we have it all on solid proof now

Just an FYI, the hood will clear if you use custom mounts, like, say, two hockey pucks on each side, because that drops the engine perfectly. I think my Silvia RS-X's custom mounts drop it a tad more, too. I have a third one, out of the car, so I'll compare it to a stock mount. If so, then it's another alternative (it's an energy suspension mount drilled in the middle, really simple).

I am going to be creating a "master thread" for how to swap a KA, that references Sterling's thread and maybe a couple others, mind if I use your info or link your thread in there?

DjayS12Dec 13, 2009, 4:08 pm · #55

Men im in a ship, i haven't seen my car for nearly 2 months.. and can't wait to swap my KA24DE in.. and you tease me like that? ...not cool!

Seriously tho, you just make me wonder if i really want to use the S13 tranny or just swap the bellhousing on the S12 tranny..

Anyway nice thread! keep us updated!

sam31183Dec 13, 2009, 7:05 pm · #56

IMO The s13 transmission shifts way better than the S12 B Transmission. If you dont believe me, ask to drive a friends s13 or something...then you will be sold on going that route if you have the time and the means.

seishukuDec 13, 2009, 7:14 pm · #57
ArroRedneck, dude, I need to pay closer attention to your thread  This is new info for us... it means ANY manual trans can be used with just a bellhousing swap, and no need for custom mounts or whatever.... so the only people who need custom mounts will be automatic guys, and Mark II automatics only need a straight bar across. Nice, sounds like we have it all on solid proof now
Haven't I been saying that for years now?
I did a bell swap on my SR, so I didn't have to have to make a trans mount or new drive shaft. Besides the fact that my SR was an automatic, and didn't come with a transmission.
ArroDec 13, 2009, 8:37 pm · #58

Yeah it's the Mark I automatic cars that are the bitch.

But it's still a better idea to go with a C trans in a Mark II, you might need to make a custom mount, but the shifter is in the stock location, and you get the benefit of S13 short throw shifter compatibility. Plus I think the C trans is stronger...?

seishukuDec 13, 2009, 8:49 pm · #59

As far as I'm concerned the strength is the same, just the age might make a difference in how much torque it would take to break one (since a B trans will be way older than a C trans).

DjayS12Dec 13, 2009, 9:01 pm · #60
ArroYeah it's the Mark I automatic cars that are the bitch.

But it's still a better idea to go with a C trans in a Mark II, you might need to make a custom mount, but the shifter is in the stock location, and you get the benefit of S13 short throw shifter compatibility. Plus I think the C trans is stronger...?


Well in fact my car was a MKI automatic from factory but i've swapped in a MKII manual tranny from a S12 i found in a yard..so its a S12 C tranny that i have on my car.

And also i've levered up the gaz pedal to be able to heel-toe it and moved back the seat a bit since, now the shifter location is a bit too far ahead..

So what i got here is:
-staying with a S12 C transmission (work great, no leak) with 130 000miles on it
-swap the S13 C trans (no idea on the condition) with 100 000miles on it.
Nick_WDec 19, 2009, 1:33 am · #61

Good Job Redneck!  It will be nice to have a car you can actually rely on huh?  lol

I still haven't brought mine down, but honestly its a good thing, some chick crashed into my other car when it was parked last week.

EternalSwapDec 19, 2009, 6:29 am · #62
ArroYeah it's the Mark I automatic cars that are the bitch.


your swap looks great ! so win
RedneckDec 19, 2009, 7:06 am · #63
sam31183i ordered one of franks rear strut tower bars and he wants to get a good look at it...maybe we can do a mini meet up at upgarage?
Who are you referring to as "he"?

200sxkitcarkeep in mind those crimp deals will NOT seal out moisture... i would highly recommend soldering with heat shrink to seal out the elements...
JayMotion seconded.
Yeah after talking to my old man more in depth about the wiring he said he put 3 coats of the liquid electrical tape inside the crimp ends to seal out the moisture then tightly wrapped them in electrical tape. Hopefully this should be fine. He has apparently been using this method for awhile with no problems on his 30 foot sailboat that sits in saltwater year round so I would think the s12 should be ok.

ArroI am going to be creating a "master thread" for how to swap a KA, that references Sterling's thread and maybe a couple others, mind if I use your info or link your thread in there?
Of course I don't mind .

Nick_WGood Job Redneck!  It will be nice to have a car you can actually rely on huh?
YES! Haha.

We also figured out what was causing the loss of power. The vacuum lines that went to the swirl conrol valve were either not hooked up right or had a leak and the swirl valve was not opening and closing properly. Now that we fixed that it feels really good and has a lot more power then before. The stock 1/4 inch smaller ca18et exhaust doesn't seem to be hindering the ka either as well which is nice. Another small update should be coming in the next day or two.
sam31183Dec 19, 2009, 8:13 pm · #64

he = draconis....my bad...i didnt realize i just said he instead of colin...hah. My rear strut tower bar still hasnt showed up yet though...i hope customs isnt holding that shit up.

RedneckDec 22, 2009, 3:43 am · #65
sam31183he = draconis....my bad...i didnt realize i just said he instead of colin...hah. My rear strut tower bar still hasnt showed up yet though...i hope customs isnt holding that shit up.
Yeah I would like to get a look at the rear strut tower bar too so if you do end up heading out this way and want to meet up just let me know.

And as promised a small update.

After just 400 miles the oil was really black so we changed that out again today.
posted image

The ghetto rigged s13 ka downpipe to s12 cat exhaust.
posted image

Because we were lazy and didn't feel like extending the downpipe for a measly inch or so we decided it had to come down to the hammer to solve the clearance issues.
posted image

Part of the exhaust is now pressed up against the diff making a really annoying vibration at times which we will have to fix later.
posted image

So nice to open my hood and see this!
posted image

And a few quick shots I took on the way to the shop.
posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image
XanoDec 22, 2009, 4:14 am · #66

SEX!!!!

that car is so clean man.

sam31183Dec 22, 2009, 7:48 am · #67

I will let you know when I am coming up red so you can get a look at the bar also....it still hasnt showed up yet though...damn canadian postal service lol. My exhaust rubs on my subframe also...I was ragging out third gear today going around a left curve and it sounded like the exhaust actually got pinched until i got off of third gear.

seb.racingDec 22, 2009, 12:14 pm · #68

beautiful  

good job

SprockCapnMar 16, 2010, 4:25 pm · #69

You should drive this way this summer for a "Beartooth run" or whatever they decide to call it this year. A bunch of kids from all around here come and take a trip up the pass in the summer. I didn't actually make it with them last summer, but I went on the same day and passed them when I was going up and they were coming down. There was a convoy of cars a lot bigger than I expected. I plan on doing it this summer and it would be sweet to have a few other S12's if possible! Hopefully I get my KA in and running good soon!

RedneckMar 16, 2010, 6:31 pm · #70

I would definitely be down for a Beartooth pass run this summer. I just wish the pass was a little closer than 13 hours away . Still, if I could get the time off work and had enough greenbacks to cover the trip I think the drive would totally be worth it.

SprockCapnMar 16, 2010, 7:47 pm · #71
RedneckI would definitely be down for a Beartooth pass run this summer. I just wish the pass was a little closer than 13 hours away . Still, if I could get the time off work and had enough greenbacks to cover the trip I think the drive would totally be worth it.

That would be sweet. I'll try and figure out when they are going to do it. Hopefully I can get me car runnin before then!
RedneckMar 21, 2010, 1:37 am · #72

I took the blue s12 to Mt. Rainier a couple days ago for its first mountain trip ever! Because Mt. Rainier is such a popular tourist destination they plow the road in the winter leading to the top which is where these pictures were taken. Sadly I'll have to wait another month or two for the rest of the mountain roads to open .

posted image

posted image

sam31183Mar 21, 2010, 5:09 am · #73

great pics....i waxed the notch today and my brother and our 510 buddy clipped a coil off of my front springs..haha. Your going to be at gg next week right???

David BMar 21, 2010, 5:18 am · #74

wow! very clean !

mrjacobwhoNov 1, 2010, 4:45 pm · #75

Beautiful! My ca18et is sitting beside my s12 right now.. The ka24de is inside her though! Wiring to go... Did you use the ca20 wiring guide? That's the only one I found. I see what's happening in it, but I dont want to go cutting before I'm 100% positive. I don't remember reading anything about the injector hook-ups or anything. Maybe I'm just blind! D: Thanks for clearing up the C and B tranny thing, I'm definately using my B trans until I feel like upgrading later. And probably that forceable downpipe fitting. :]

But yeah, someone should totally have a talk with me about that wiring. I have been searching and reading, but I'm not 100% yet.. I'm not a noob when it comes to working on my own car, but when it comes to this swap, whoa.. Hah That's the only part I'm troubled with.

Gorgeous car! Love the s13 wheels too, it adds to the swap.

DjayS12Nov 1, 2010, 8:05 pm · #76

I want snow.. I wanna ski.. sooo bad!

And your S12 is crazy clean bud!

RedneckNov 1, 2010, 9:58 pm · #77
mrjacobwho on 04:45:35 PM / 01-Nov-10But yeah, someone should totally have a talk with me about that wiring. I have been searching and reading, but I'm not 100% yet.. I'm not a noob when it comes to working on my own car, but when it comes to this swap, whoa.. Hah That's the only part I'm troubled with.

Gorgeous car! Love the s13 wheels too, it adds to the swap.

The ca20 and ca18 wiring is a bit different so definitely use the ca18 wiring diagrams. I got my wiring info from sterling and in normal sterling fashion it was 100% accurate. I think he posted the ca18et to ka24de wiring diagrams in a thread somewhere but I can PM you info. I am pretty sure I still have it. Glad you like the s13 wheels, I have always liked them as a cheap alternative to the more expensive aftermarket rims for the 4 lug s12's.

DjayS12 on 08:05:26 PM / 01-Nov-10I want snow.. I wanna ski.. sooo bad!

And your S12 is crazy clean bud!

Don't worry, winter is coming so you'll get your snow soon. And for the thanks comments but your notch looks just as clean or cleaner Tongue
sam31183Nov 2, 2010, 12:31 am · #78

i have s13 wheels as back ups...i am so baller s12 owner.

mrjacobwhoNov 2, 2010, 3:08 pm · #79

Hey, I totally get it now! Haha I was stuck because my plugs were different from the ca20s, but mine are matching to the ca18s. Definately a relief!! Thanks.

DjayS12Nov 11, 2010, 2:37 pm · #80
Redneck on 09:58:36 PM / 01-Nov-10Don't worry, winter is coming so you'll get your snow soon. And for the thanks comments but your notch looks just as clean or cleaner Tongue

Haha ever noticed how I never post interior pictures of it? Tongue That is mostly were your car impress me.