Browse › Engines ›VG30E

Installing Experimental Engineering Headers

Started by Wolf Dilworth · Nov 28, 2009 · 67postsSMF 2010–26

Wolf DilworthFeb 5, 2010, 10:25 pm · #51
VG33ERGazelle?needs....dose headers.

needsssss demmmmmm

...And if you act now, for the low low price of just $550.00 you too can have your very own pair of one of a kind never before seen...

But seriously, bro.  http://vg30.com/510vg30parts.html

This is where I got mine.  Very nice quality work can't wait to fire her up and let her sing. Dave is drilling the flanges for the larger exhaust studs on the VG33's too.

Peace, Wolf
Wolf DilworthFeb 5, 2010, 11:42 pm · #52

OK Kids gather round.

Grandpa is gonna tell ya a story...

Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, there began a struggle to liberate the oppressed gases from planet VG-30E. These gases were under the restrictive overlord OEM...

Anyway. Here are the final shots of the Experimental Engineering exhaust header install.  Nose to tailpipe complete.  Hoo hoo hee hee ha ha haaaaaa.

posted image
This is the aft-most section with the tack welds in, now I just need to connect the dots. And yes, remove the useless part of that hanger.

posted image
This was the last weld performed.  Man I am happy I do not have to make any more trips back under to check the fit.

posted image
Here is the finished product ready to go in, don't know how long the paint will last, but I have the first (baby) pictures that I can look back on in a few years.

posted image
OK here is the underside.  I will be removing the rusty rear cradle to replace it with the complete rear end from the front SE, that one I refurbished a couple of years ago and it has the uber rare MMR bushing kit all around. The cradle I remove will get a proper refurbishing as well as a slot-job.

posted image
Here is the basic side view. The primer spots around the window are where I had to grind out some rust and weld shut.  Basically this car has no rust, now.

posted image
This shot is a little lower, frame level, not much sticking down, eh?  No bumping or thumping either.

posted image
Same Level looking forward, just the small portion at the Y collector sticks down really.  I have the skid plates that will protect that area.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, so the planets will all align this weekend for a first start-up.  I will have a fresh charge on the camera, fer shur.

Peace, Wolf

demonic s12Feb 5, 2010, 11:47 pm · #53

looks awesome...

please have video, with sound. please

Wolf DilworthFeb 6, 2010, 12:05 am · #54
JordanMan, you lucky SOB. How did you get a gig making porn equipment? Talk about a sweet gig.

Actually, The three stooges (Jake, Rick, and yours truly) answered a CL add.  We are just doing the machining and assembly. The machines are going to be shipped to both coasts and the major investors are in Florida.  Sadly there are no hot chicks running around naked. :o(

posted image
This is the stripped-down prototype frame, the disc on the right drives a Lexan plate that attaches to sliders and then a "Barrel Assembly" with 12VDC motor attaches the the Lexan as well.  There are a bunch of electronics that mount to the backside for control. You get the idea.  These will be "Controlled" via the Web. Like I said this was the first version that has been improved upon.
 
Peace, Wolf
Wolf DilworthFeb 6, 2010, 1:14 am · #55
demonic s12looks awesome...

please have video, with sound. please


Doh!  You wanted sound, too? Shit man is there anything else you want?  I suppose it has to be in color, right?  :o)

Peace, Wolf
IggyEGuanaFeb 6, 2010, 4:27 am · #56

system came out great and very well tucked up.  a lot better than mine lol.  and it'll sound tits.  we all wish just a lil that it was a dual system with x-pipe though lol

MaxpowFeb 6, 2010, 3:31 pm · #57

Awesome work.

bluke1Feb 9, 2010, 6:31 pm · #58

nice! i need to make one for my se, did you follow the stock routing?

XanoFeb 9, 2010, 8:13 pm · #59
IggyEGuanasystem came out great and very well tucked up.  a lot better than mine lol.  and it'll sound tits.  we all wish just a lil that it was a dual system with x-pipe though lol
I second this mans comments.

had you gone to some type of X or H pipe and done a dual piping setup, it wouldve been brutal.

its still gonna be badass though, not gonna lie.
Wolf DilworthFeb 9, 2010, 11:21 pm · #60
bluke1did you follow the stock routing?

Yeah at least after the Y collector which crosses a little further aft than normal.  But after that it goes pretty much along the stock route.

Peace, Wolf

VG33ERGazelle?Mar 29, 2010, 9:56 pm · #61
Mr.510No problem, you're down for set #4 of this run drilled for 3.3 studs and Kromex coated. I will PM you when I have the bare steel headers in-hand for confirmation/payment arrangements.

excellent, I look forward to it. I love how these fit in Wolf's car, and I think they'll do my supercharger a world of good.
Mr.510Mar 30, 2010, 2:58 am · #62

I hope you'll shoot a video with good sound, I'd love to hear a supercharged VG with headers and good exhaust! When I did my first VG510 I ran it almost a year with S12 exhaust manifolds and 2-1/2" exhaust. The driver's side manifold was ground seriously thin and still rattled against the steering box enough to drive me nuts. When I finally scraped up the huge $$$ to produce the headers I put the first set on my car with a 2-1/2" Y pipe into an auger muffler and 3" single exhaust with a Flowmaster at the back. It was probably the first 510 in history with 3" exhaust?! It sounded great but ran like crap with the new system as it was lean, lean, lean! I was running a Nikki 400cfm four barrel carb and had to go up three jet numbers on the mains and two on the secondaries to correct the mixture. That's a *huge* change due to increased exhaust flow. I believe the stock S12 exhaust manifolds suck even worse than most people think!

VG33ERGazelle?Mar 30, 2010, 8:12 am · #63

they really do. We pulled off the manifolds from the stock vg and set them up on the vg33...they fit alright, and we considered bolting them on for about...a nanosecond. then pulled them off and felt ashamed for letting the thought cross our minds.

I'll definitely shoot a good video. I've got a lot to prove with this swap, apparently lol

Mr.510Apr 13, 2010, 3:19 am · #64

Headers are back in stock and the great news is I am able to drop the price! They are now $395.10 in bare steel.

 

FWIW: They've been $425 since the Chinese drove steel prices through the roof a few years ago. My website is way out of date but I'm planning to revamp it soon.

Chromex polished ceramic coating is still a $200 option.

calvins200sxMar 2, 2013, 11:00 am · #65

I installed these header on my vg33e swap into my S-12. These header were a breeze  to install as fitment was perfect. These headers are of great quality as well as the ceramic coating that was installed as an option. If your in the market for a set of headers I would highly recommend the set from Mr. 510. They are shipped completely wrapped with brown paper to protect them and the finish. Thanks again Mr. 510 for the great set of headers you shipped me. I'll post a couple of pictures soon.

Thanks,

Calvin

Wolf DilworthMar 2, 2013, 11:23 pm · #66

I second Dave's headers are first rate.  I have been running my set (cerma-chromed) for over two years and they still look fresh.

Wolf

WonderingravenMar 3, 2013, 12:48 am · #67

I will be ordering a set hopefully in a few months :-)