Browse › Tech ›Brakes, suspension and wheels

Definite Weld On Coilover Parts List For s12 suspension

Started by EightySix200SX · Jul 6, 2011 · 134postsSMF 2010–26

I_heart_VVLAug 6, 2011, 9:38 pm · #51
tommy on 01:19:06 PM / 06-Aug-11I just don't get it sometimes...

Come on guys, honestly, there is already a number of cheap option to convert from 4x4.5 to 5x4.5, why would someone weaken a perfectly good hub?

Plus IMO, there is enough good looking wheels that are 4x4.5 to stop anyone from wanting a 5x4.5... and those starion wheels are not what I'd call "a must have"... I really hope that guy didn't do that only to fit those wheels...

ummmmmmmmm, cause its free? haha everything has its disadvantages. and id MUCH rather do this as a temp job while i save money for a better way. sometimes this is all we have enough for(keep in mind not all of us have ballerific jobs and 6 figure or even 5 figure salaries and some are also even still in high school/college like myself), not everyone has a budget for $300 hubs and whatnot and mods like this is as cheap as it gets. id personally go for S14 SE hubs tho.

but not on an S12. 5lug S12s are weak :P hahaha
4x4.5 is where its at bro.
DeezusAug 7, 2011, 12:49 am · #52

why not do it right the first time.

JayAug 7, 2011, 3:37 am · #53

I still really, really do not understand this fascination with going 5 lug........
It's pretty pointless....

AthensAug 7, 2011, 3:23 pm · #54

People go five lug so they aren't tempted to put good looking rims on their cars.

sam31183Aug 7, 2011, 5:31 pm · #55

lol, yah man, these hoshinos are a problem!

DeezusAug 7, 2011, 6:05 pm · #56
Jay on 03:37:27 AM / 07-Aug-11I still really, really do not understand this fascination with going 5 lug........
It's pretty pointless....

people do it on s13s because you cant get any good wheels for an s13 without going 5lug, or well in decent sizes.

And a lot of the s12 community is people who wanted an s13/14 but settled for s12, because they wanted to be different. So... they try to style and s12 like they would a 13 or 14 but... that looks ugly broezzz.

Thats why.
JayAug 8, 2011, 3:53 am · #57

What's a "decent" size? They have 4x114.3 in 15's, 16's, and 17's with multiple widths, lower offsets, and staggering. There are lots of 'em out there.

 Anything bigger on an S13/S14 isn't really beneficial at all. Bigger brakes fit under 17's fine. Even ones that are almost too big for the car. That's the only logical reason I can think of having bigger wheels than 17's...

But, I'm also wondering this question about the E30 world. They have a fascination with 5 lug too. Except, the E30 has 4x100. The M3, OR any E36 hub conversion 5 lug is 5x120.
Now I ask you rhetorically, Which one is going to have more wheel varieties? 4x100, or 5x120?

I just don't get it. And I probably never will.... It's almost as if people modify the car to suit a certain set of wheels. Instead of buying wheels that suit the car.

Also, slightly off topic but it should be known, that I have this vehement disgust for people that spend a bazillion dollars on wheels. They're wheels, Not gold ingots....
Example? BBS RS's. Why the fuck are they worth 2k+?!? Sure they're pretty. But not 2k pretty...

DeezusAug 8, 2011, 6:19 am · #58

Im talking width and offset, a lot of wheel companys will make like a 4lug 17x7 +30 but the same wheel in 5lug will be made to 17x9 +30

for s12s, 4lug just has better wheels.

And drifting/driving on a 16x9 is way different than drift/driving on a 18x9

This past wednesday a friend and i were tandeming at our local spot, he was running 17s and 18s all day on his 1j s14, then when he put a pair of 16s on.... he just spun tire like crazy and just couldnt hook up.

A lot of guys have come to our local spot with SRs and what not, on 15s and sucked peepee, but we got them on some 17s and it made driving so much easier... same with guy comming with stock KAs running 17s, we put them on 15s and they can actually connect the straight.

Wiht 5lug, you just have more variety of wheel sizing, it probably wastn like that 6-7 years ago (idk, i was worried about masturbating then)  until everyone started going 5lug then the wheel companies followed.

im rambling.... This whole post is horribly written, but GETDAFUDGEOVERIT!
EDIT: S13/14 look dumb with anything smaller than 17s

8SixS12Aug 9, 2011, 11:32 am · #59

Jay's point is the whole meaning behind the self quote in my sig.

mentalxpreshunAug 9, 2011, 1:05 pm · #60

I think quality and the material/manner in which the higher priced rims are made. Its all a matter of available funds and intended use of the wheels. When it comes to wheels, To each his own really. Not defending anyone really, just sayin... its not worth stressin over what other people are puttin on their cars. As long as any possible failure of their goods doesn't affect my car then all g haha

Wolf DilworthAug 9, 2011, 9:41 pm · #61
Jay on 03:53:02 AM / 08-Aug-11I just don't get it. And I probably never will.... It's almost as if people modify the car to suit a certain set of wheels. Instead of buying wheels that suit the car.

Also, slightly off topic but it should be known, that I have this vehement disgust for people that spend a bazillion dollars on wheels. They're wheels, Not gold ingots....
Example? BBS RS's. Why the fuck are they worth 2k+?!? Sure they're pretty. But not 2k pretty...

Amen!  Brother Jay!  Can I get a hallelujah?...
WonderingravenAug 9, 2011, 10:34 pm · #62

technically the rear is all bolt up or do we have to modify that?

DeezusAug 10, 2011, 2:42 am · #63
Jay on 03:53:02 AM / 08-Aug-11I just don't get it. And I probably never will.... It's almost as if people modify the car to suit a certain set of wheels. Instead of buying wheels that suit the car.


just because a wheel doesnt "fit" a car doesnt mean its bad for the car.

Rpf1's would look dumb on an s12, but they would perform better than a lot of wheels that wouldnt
S12-ARAug 10, 2011, 2:51 am · #64

Why did this thread go from DIY Coilover to WHEELS?

DeezusAug 10, 2011, 7:11 am · #65

because racecar

JayAug 10, 2011, 2:12 pm · #66
Deezus on 07:11:33 AM / 10-Aug-11because racecar
troof
SomeoneWhoIsntMeAug 10, 2011, 2:49 pm · #67

somebody post a pic with the rear adjusters all the way down and specs on which springs you have... I'm trying to figure out if the eibach 600lb x 6.5" tall springs will go low enough

fyneyoungstunnaAug 10, 2011, 9:58 pm · #68

i want to see pics of cars with this mod.....please

WonderingravenAug 10, 2011, 10:18 pm · #69

I phail at going back to the topic =P

fyneyoungstunnaAug 12, 2011, 1:44 pm · #70

Pics?

sam31183Aug 24, 2011, 10:18 pm · #71

I talked to my brother for a quick minute about what spring rates i should run in the front and then called t3 today. Ordered the 280zx GC coilovers with 400 lbs springs, the rcas and the caster camber plates. I already have mr2 struts on the car from my frankenshock setup with the canuck springs. I am thinking about going 400lbs in the back when the time comes.

My brother is running 350 in the front so that is how we decided 400 would be a good number...slightly heavier car with a slightly heavier engine. Parts should be here sometime next week...need to get new rotors, bearings, and pads for the front...i am going to strip the front down to just the tubes and take it down to the metal shop i used to work at and have them shorten the tubes and weld on the new sleeve. Then i will do the backs and install a cam bolt/file the mounting holes for the outer mustache bars in an attempt to correct the crazy neg camber going lower is going to induce. Hopefully this setup will work good on the autox this year with the steelies/slicks so i can beat up on those miatas.

DeezusAug 25, 2011, 2:52 am · #72

I always love when people beat miatas.

SomeoneWhoIsntMeAug 26, 2011, 3:54 pm · #73

I just got off the phone with fortune talking about weld-on tubes for cressidas...

They'll do coils with weld-on tubes if I can do 5 cars, and I'm going to get them dimensions for how the rear shock would have to work. They can make a coil-over shock that's roughly 12" compressed and however long extended, so it'd be a bolt-on setup to slam the S12. Only problem is, a custom rear shock to go low enough on the S12 is going to be a little more expensive, and nobody that owns an S12 wants to pay $1200 for coilovers.

sam31183Aug 26, 2011, 9:13 pm · #74

The rears are easy, we can just run foxbody mustang agxs with springs and sleeves.

I_heart_VVLAug 26, 2011, 9:20 pm · #75

^or if your too cheap for AGXs, get Strange Engineering 10-Way shocks for Mustang, like 60bux iirc.
Mustang guys seem to love 'em.

Wolf DilworthAug 26, 2011, 11:41 pm · #76
SomeoneWhoIsntMe on 03:54:33 PM / 26-Aug-11They'll do coils with weld-on tubes if I can do 5 cars, and I'm going to get them dimensions for how the rear shock would have to work. They can make a coil-over shock that's roughly 12" compressed and however long extended, so it'd be a bolt-on setup to slam the S12. Only problem is, a custom rear shock to go low enough on the S12 is going to be a little more expensive, and nobody that owns an S12 wants to pay $1200 for coilovers.

If you are talking about using the shock mounting points for weight baring hard points, I would advise strongly against it.  Those shock brackets are not strong enough to take the load.  Prolly fail at the worst possible time, like in a corner.  You can use your imagination...  It would be a crying shame to loose an S-12 to something so stupid.
SomeoneWhoIsntMeAug 27, 2011, 2:30 pm · #77
Wolf Dilworth on 11:41:45 PM / 26-Aug-11If you are talking about using the shock mounting points for weight baring hard points, I would advise strongly against it.  Those shock brackets are not strong enough to take the load.  Prolly fail at the worst possible time, like in a corner.  You can use your imagination...  It would be a crying shame to loose an S-12 to something so stupid.
http://redz31.net/pages/coilovers.html

a BUNCH of people with z31's have done it.... if the s12 trunk is actually weaker and this is a problem, it wouldn't be difficult to weld a brace in
sam31183Aug 27, 2011, 5:00 pm · #78

Everyone who has done an s13 rear end conversion has enforced the crap out of the rear shock towers. Everyone so far who has done rear coils with the stock s12 rear end has split the shock from the spring. Its easier to do, and you dont have to worry about the shock towers being too weak. E30s have the same basic rear end design and if you buy rear coil overs for an e30 they have you split the coils.

Taris BlueAug 27, 2011, 11:37 pm · #79
SomeoneWhoIsntMe on 02:30:41 PM / 27-Aug-11http://redz31.net/pages/coilovers.html

a BUNCH of people with z31's have done it.... if the s12 trunk is actually weaker and this is a problem, it wouldn't be difficult to weld a brace in

Z31's have a top hat for the rear shock tower which can distribute the load much better rather than a single mounting point like the s12 shock tower...it MAY still be possible to do this, but I would either reinforce the crap out of the mounting point or just let some one else try it first :)
sam31183Aug 28, 2011, 2:15 am · #80

(http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312052_10150768919125387_695415386_20497893_7716057_n.jpg)

S12-ARAug 29, 2011, 12:42 am · #81

^^Awsome man! I just finished mine recently too!

8SixS12Aug 30, 2011, 6:21 pm · #82

Sam. Would you measure the height of your gc springs for me?  I would like to try this with strange eng mustang front coilover sleeves and custom springs.  I like them because they have needle bearings integrated into the top hat.

Wolf DilworthAug 31, 2011, 12:17 am · #83

...I am reffering to the lower mount point.  It was never designed to carry the weight of the rear end.  Yes, the tower is a poor design with the single through point.  Failure at the upper end of the shock will probably not lead to a total loss of control, however, failure at the bottom...   That will not fare so well.  The whole thing is just a bad idea.  Just because it has been done and has not failed, yet, does not mean that it is a good idea to do it. 

Do you want to be liable to Tommy's parents when they find out the "tragic accident" that caused their little Tommy's death was caused by your reckless alterations to your cars suspension? 

If I were a fab shop, I would never even think about selling such a "kit".  Food for thought...

sam31183Aug 31, 2011, 12:59 am · #84
8SixS12 on 06:21:44 PM / 30-Aug-11Sam. Would you measure the height of your gc springs for me?  I would like to try this with strange eng mustang front coilover sleeves and custom springs.  I like them because they have needle bearings integrated into the top hat. 

you want the front gc spring measurements or the backs? You totally just confused me...i have the fronts off the car now sitting in a corner of the shop now that the ground control coils are on the car...

(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/303088_10150773563350387_695415386_20562458_3198299_n.jpg)

(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/296678_10150773562775387_695415386_20562453_4924880_n.jpg)

(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/291718_10150773563670387_695415386_20562460_2112308_n.jpg)

i am just waiting for the springs and coils to show up for the back...
Taris BlueAug 31, 2011, 12:14 pm · #85

The bottom mounting point on the control arm for the shock has never been an issue...people have been setting up full track setup Z31's using bolt on coilovers with that factory lower mounting point for almost 20 years...it's very strong...feel free to continue to worry needlessly though if you like.  I personally know of many setups just like this with LOTS of hard track miles and tens of thousands of hard street driving miles on them.

8SixS12Aug 31, 2011, 3:37 pm · #86

I wanted the front gc coil free height measurement.  I'm trying to build a set with mustang front sleeves and Koni yellows.

sam31183Aug 31, 2011, 4:32 pm · #87

I get what you mean now....i was exhausted yesterday from working on the car all day. I will see what I can do for you in a day or two when I get some time. I went to get the car aligned today and my tie rod end on the passenger side was shot...so I have to wait for a new one to come from Spokane...prolly get the car aligned next week now. They told me they would only charge me 15 bucks to change out the tie rod end tho and 35 for the alignment so I was like you guys can just change it before the alignment then.

8SixS12Aug 31, 2011, 7:44 pm · #88

Cool thanks.  That sux about these cars since their so old. Stuff just keeps breaking.  I was just going to do the S13 conv. but I wanted to see if I could make this work before I fork over 1100 funtickets for megans or BCs.  So Sam are you going with the same setup as EightySix in the rear too?

sam31183Aug 31, 2011, 10:30 pm · #89

Correct, same set up in the rear. Only problem is I wanted to use 400 lbs springs in the back, and the lowest they had was 550....

Wolf DilworthSep 2, 2011, 9:34 am · #90
Taris Blue on 12:14:21 PM / 31-Aug-11I personally know of many setups just like this with LOTS of hard track miles and tens of thousands of hard street driving miles on them.

"Bully for you" Taris

I still stand on my assertion, I have seen similar set-ups develop cracks, fortunately caught before they failed.

Back to topic.
SomeoneWhoIsntMeSep 4, 2011, 9:05 pm · #91

Stock shocks - 23" extended, 15.875" compressed
SN95 shocks - 19.125" extended, 14.5" compressed

If I have new strut rods machined for s13 rear coilovers so they work with sandwich bushings instead of a camber plate, I can end up with something that at it's lowest setting is something like 16.5" extended and 13" or so compressed...

I'm going to measure on my s12 to be sure, but I feel like this would be pretty swell.

EightySix200SXSep 5, 2011, 2:55 am · #92

I'll fix links soon been busy nice to see people retaining there stock components w some fab work I favor this method now to just use f31 tubes and ill be happy

sam31183Sep 5, 2011, 2:27 pm · #93

david b told me that t3 will be updating their website soon with an actual s12 link....they are working on a 4 link for him for his sra.


Post Merge: 05:33:38 PM / 05-Sep-11
i know fyne wanted some pics of the car with the full set up on it....so here we go. I lowered the back to the point where the sleeve isnt maxxed out...but only one coil of the spring is still in the spring housing thing in the top at the control arms full stroke...i didnt want to go much lower than that because i was worried about the spring falling out at full stroke...also, i am going to be fiixng the camber in 2 weeks.

side shot
(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/319979_10150781973015387_695415386_20662179_7478565_n.jpg)

side shot before with uncut canucks
(http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/314864_10150771342735387_695415386_20534879_3034531_n.jpg)
front shot; (I can go a bit lower still...but this is ok for now...might lower it more later.)
(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319259_10150781971170387_695415386_20662162_3616012_n.jpg)

and rear camber shot...
(http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/307934_10150781969760387_695415386_20662146_5752610_n.jpg)
S12-ARSep 6, 2011, 2:40 am · #94

Nice man! How is the ride with the rear 500lbs springs?

sam31183Sep 6, 2011, 2:45 am · #95

It isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...haha.

S12-ARSep 6, 2011, 2:49 am · #96

Would you recommend them for daily driving?

sam31183Sep 6, 2011, 3:15 am · #97

So far I would say they aren't too bad for daily. I am getting an alignment tomorrow so I will be able to drive it harder and more. I have just been driving it to work and back and it feels ok. I want to drive it on some more varied road conditions though.

EightySix200SXSep 6, 2011, 10:09 pm · #98

Good to know cuz ill be upping my rates 350 is too soft...

sam31183Sep 6, 2011, 11:27 pm · #99

the lowest daymotorsports.com had in the sss blue coils in the size we need was 550. I took the car over some bumpy roads and around some of my favorite close stomping grounds today and it was fine. I am still learning the cars handling characteristic right now though. It feels like i have more grip in the back right now than i do in the front. Also the car has more grip...but when it looses grip its twitchier. I want to put star specs on the front and see what that does. The canucks where more predictable....but there is way more potential with this set up. Also, braking into a corner....the car brakes way harder now....i was super impressed.

fyneyoungstunnaSep 11, 2011, 9:39 pm · #100

so on the lower perch, if one were to weld in a ring for the spring to sit; would that curb some of the fear factor of these failing?