Browse › Tech ›General tech

Does this look normal??

Started by Keith · around Aug 2004 · 57postsvBulletin 2004–05

This thread was saved without dates. "Around Aug 2004" is estimated from neighbouring threads.

RPSport-Johndate not saved · #51

Just wanted to know, HOW YOU TURNED THE BOOST DOWN TO 2 PSI. Are you running a 1-2psi wastegate? Meaning you can boost over 7? Honestly I've never even seen a 2 psi wastegate. Whats the deal dude? A boost controller can only turn boost up from the wastegate setting NOT DOWN.

Im sorry if i trip, but i've heard millions of honda kids over the years talk about how they're gonna bolt a starion turbo and intercooler onto their D sereis and keep the boost at 1psi untill they run race gas.

John

Joel07date not saved · #52

Maybe he just means he didn't get on it or spool it up. It is possible to drive around (if you're driving Ms. Daisy anyway :mrgreen: ), and not get the turbo into any real big boost situations...

Keithdate not saved · #53

Maybe he just means he didn't get on it or spool it up. It is possible to drive around (if you're driving Ms. Daisy anyway :mrgreen: ), and not get the turbo into any real big boost situations...
BINGO!!!.........Joel, you hit the nail right on the head.
During the break-in period of the new motor...I didn't "get on it" the whole time.....meaning I kept the boost to a minimal by not stomping on the gas pedal....hard to resist but I managed. Felt like a granny leaving from stop lights, but I'm sure this helped break everything in properly. The bov barley let out a fart during this time.
Oh....also, I just got back from the 76 gas station, and right on the pump there was a label that said "The pumps AT THIS STATION MAY CONTAIN ETHENOL". So thats not really helpful, and my guess is it's probably in there like all the other brand stations i've been to here.

Keithdate not saved · #54

Well, I just checked a couple of the plugs after running them for 500 miles with the new NTK O2 sensor and after cleaning the plugs, and I am happy to report they are all perfectly clean:mike: So ....I'm happy. Hopefully it was all the engine assy lube that was flooding the new engine when I got it. I also have been using 76 gas for 500 miles, but I probably will switch back to that new Shell V-power, since there is no gaurntee there isn't any Ethynol in 76 gas around here. I'll go another 500 with the Shell, and see how the plugs look.

Arrodate not saved · #55

OH

MY

GOD!

I really DO need to restore the old entries for What The Hell Is That!!!!! There was a plug explanation in there somewhere.

NO WAY in hell is that normal, nor is red a sign of a good mixture. Turbochargers don't change the color of the plugs. Tan/offwhite is PERFECT combustion. THIS is detonation.

Dodge Shelby turbo guys had to read plugs as a method of tuning long before they used O2 meters.. they would turn up the boost by ONE psi, make a run or two, pull the plugs, check the color, return them to the head, turn the boost up ONE more psi, and repeat process.

Ever wonder if your O2 sensor is working right? or if your airflow meter is? Those are the major contributors to detonation on stock turbocars. But yours isnt stock, so..... maybe you're boosting a little too lean, dude... ???

Keithdate not saved · #56

Dude.....read back a few entries.......when I pulled the plugs the first time, I hadn't even gotten on it yet, and boost was stock since I was in "break-in" mode for the first 1000 miles, so there's no way I had any detonation. O2 sensor was new, airflow meter is new, and there were no codes.
A few people suggested the red color on the plugs and O2 sensor was from all the red assembly lube that was oozing from every orifice on my new long block, and this included the spark plug holes.
Anywho.......with 500 miles on the cleaned plugs, new o2 sensor, and boost now set to 8psi the plugs are still clean......I'll check in another 500 to see how they look, but I'm leaning towards the red assy lube being the culprit.

Arrodate not saved · #57

Yes, the red ass lube is prolly the problem then lol

I did afterwards read that but I was too lazy to edit haha ;)