Thats awesome man. I would like to see videos of it pulling through the gears though. I am thinking your the only guy to truly tune a CA20E. What will you keep up with at the track. Skills set aside so I have a nice comparison of what its power
Browse › Tech ›Electrical and chassis
Megasquirting
DeathAndMajestyThats awesome man. I would like to see videos of it pulling through the gears though. I am thinking your the only guy to truly tune a CA20E. What will you keep up with at the track. Skills set aside so I have a nice comparison of what its power
It's hard to say.
On the street I'm about even with non-si non-type r civics in a straight line. At the 1/8 mile drag races, I beat an automatic 65 mustang, and nothing else (all the civics there are tuned).
On the road courses, I think it's more a function of driver skill (mine) as to why I get to pass people. I'm dead even with some slightly tuned and stock miatas, I think they're the best comparison, and one that I am happy to make
I realize that I haven't quantified anything, but my best (and there's still a little room for driver improvement) lap time from Willow Springs: 1:46.435
Do you have any of your fuel maps posted yet? This is a really great thread btw! Keep it up Eventually there will be so many problems with the stock electronics that updating to a newer system will be necessary, and it would be great to have a route to follow....
200sxkitcarDo you have any of your fuel maps posted yet? This is a really great thread btw! Keep it up Eventually there will be so many problems with the stock electronics that updating to a newer system will be necessary, and it would be great to have a route to follow....
I posted a link, in the first post, to a rough working tune (I don't think it's my most recent tune).
For maximum power, you'll have to fine tune it anyways because your intake/muffler/timing will be different from mine.
this also works with the 18et yeah? in the near future I will be building a 18et and will need a ems was thinking of going with wolf though
sideways_s12this also works with the 18et yeah? in the near future I will be building a 18et and will need a ems was thinking of going with wolf though
Yeah, you can do the same stuff with the 18et, but some of the wiring is different.
With the wolf you aren't going to have a cool mafless intake, you can't tune it yourself (maybe that is not important to you), you can't get it dyno-tuned, etc.
hmm.....
The CA18ET uses a more advanced engine management system than the MK1 CA20's. MK2 CA20 ECU's function very similar to the turbo cars (regular transistorized coils, optical distributor, ect) so I dont know if/how the Megasquirt would work with the turbo system. I would like to learn how to do this on the regular old CA20e system, and then apply it to the CA18ET, but there are those differences to work out... The CA20 electronics I have are for the later cars (more advanced) because my car is an 88....
The megasquirt transistorizes my ca20e coils... it'd actually be easier to do timing on the ca18et because you can trigger both coils with the same signal (I think). With the ca20e, the ecu has to handle a lot of current that the ca18et ecu doesn't (transistors), so you have to have two transistors in the megasquirt, whereas you can probably get away with one for a ca18et megasquirt. This makes the whole affair of ordering or assembling much easier, actually.
The megasquirt has input for optical sensors distributor sensors, so there is a little bit of difference in setup there from my writeup, but it is possible to trigger the timing with it.
Really! Thats good to know. I have lots of research to do yet, but thats assuring to realize that the optical stuff would work. So much research to do...
200sxkitcarReally! Thats good to know. I have lots of research to do yet, but thats assuring to realize that the optical stuff would work. So much research to do...
Yeah, the hard part is you gotta mod the distributor, you have to make it so it doesn't do rpm & vacuum advance (jb weld the weights, and plug the vacuum lines).
Then, you have to get the optical signal in to the megasquirt (probably solder some wires to the ic in the distributor).
All it takes is some electrical knowhow and quality time with the factory service manual, as I have evidenced here
Worst case, you just let the distributor do the timing, and use the megasquirt for fuel only like I'm doing now, it's much easier to do it that way (though there probably is some power to be had by fiddling with the timing)
On the cars with the optical distributor, there are no centrifugal weights, and there is no IC unit in the distributor, at least as far as I'm aware. All there is is the optical sensor, which the computer reads and controls the transistors that way. Thats really good that the Megasquirt will run thru the transistors, but I'm not too sure about, actually the question really is, can it interpret whatever signal comes out of the optical unit? Maybe the optical unit does have an IC, and that signal is sent to the computer, but I'm not sure. Like you said, some quality time with the FSM is in order!
50. Next you need to make a decision. There are two input circuits for the tach signal:
* The Hall/optical/etc. circuit takes the square wave input from a Hall sensor, optical sensor, or points. It can also be used for triggering off the coil (but only if you are not controlling ignition timing).
* The VR circuit takes the AC signal from a variable reluctor sensor and converts it to a square wave for use by MegaSquirt.
Worst case you have to mod the distributor a bit, but it should work
Oh ok rock on then I missed that. So much to learn....
It was 'cold' (for Southern California anyways, 55 Fahrenheit) this morning, so I tuned the cold start. Starts up much nicer now when the engine is cold, no more stuttering because of a lean idle
I'll post the new msq sometime soon.
bump, moved and stickied
why ya dont switch to an edis system?
its somewhat simpel serious
even i was abel to get the idea behind lol and serious
i have no clue what iam doing there
my edis 6 + trigger wheel (36-1) was around 80 bucks
the hardest part was to find out, how i could use my buick accel coilpack instead of the Ford coil
also i highly suggest to buy the premade harness :yes: makes life more easy
+
you get an awesome slim harness :cool2:
the downside
its alot more work if you want make it nice
for ppl like me a more simpel diagramm
Hey Mates, Does anyone have an Ignition Basemap for a CA18et?
BattleFairy, are you trying to get megasquirt running on the ca18et? i have mine running ms2 v3 board, with full ignition and fuel control. i am somewhat tuned with just some street driving and using megalog viewer, and my time. if you tell me how to post it here i will get the map and give it to you. let me know.
Jeremy on 12:38:36 AM / 03-Jan-15BattleFairy, are you trying to get megasquirt running on the ca18et? i have mine running ms2 v3 board, with full ignition and fuel control. i am somewhat tuned with just some street driving and using megalog viewer, and my time. if you tell me how to post it here i will get the map and give it to you. let me know.Iam running a MS I extra on my RB20......but my government sucks and i must go back to a CA18. Did you run EDIS? atm i use edis6 for the RB but it shouldnt effect the ign map at all.
well the usual way is do make an screenshot of your map and post that here :D or Export in the Table window and send via email
oh ok well mine isn't fully tuned but yeah it runs and drives and im on ms2 v3 board though i am looking at going ms3 chip with possible expansion board though i want to get this thing tuned better first
Yeah no problem, i have been doing it with no help so its taken longer but still progressed quickly when i got the initial timing right. Yes the 225kpa scale is because i am only thinking about running 20 psi, and since 100kpa is just straight atmo and 14.5 psi is 200kpa so 225 is right about 20.5 psi. and yes i run 92octane here in the states though it is unfortunately cut with ethanol, so when i get it tuned fully and autox the car it will also be tuned with either clear gas( which is fuel with no ethanol mix ) or some form of race gas. i ran it with 110 leaded race fuel last year when it was still using the factory computer and i could feel a slight difference even though it was not tuned for the better fuel.
