Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

JZ S12 BUILD, RIP 2012

Started by David B · May 28, 2008 · 1673postsSMF 2010–26

David BMar 9, 2012, 2:57 pm · #1651

****

Ju_S12_TurboMar 9, 2012, 3:32 pm · #1652
Redneck on 09:47:37 AM / 09-Mar-12Apparently David coming out of the closet has prompted more members to display their true feelings. They want cars that basically drift themselves.

Thats not it at all, when you know a car is always going to do something good, you can use your skill to do something even better. When you are wondering, "Hmmm I wonder if my car is going to flick the same or if the axles are gonna blow up" it makes your killer skill look ok and that sucks when you know you could be wrecking everyone else if you just had a better or even the same set up as them. Plus everyone one is acting like he will never come back to a S12 again, Shit S12's are like herpes, even when you think they are gone they just randomly come back into your life lol
CamInHeadMar 11, 2012, 11:41 am · #1653

While I'm not about to join-in with the Block hate, he does have a habit of putting a WRC 'motor on it's roof......and not winning.....

BabyMar 12, 2012, 4:26 am · #1654

Any footage of your so far?? I see that camera

cutter67Mar 12, 2012, 5:38 am · #1655

i like the s13/s14 i just dont like what some people do to them and i dont like what some people do to the s12. as far as the car drifting itself is a little overboard. they are a better car to drift. to me 90% of the guys on this forum are trying to turn their s12s into s13/s14. all the time same question with this fit from a s13 or will that fit from a s14. David most likely feels is it the car or his driving skill that is holding him back the only way to really find out is move to a better car. lets face it he took the s12 all the way and then some. the car on this build thread was so changed could it even be called a s12 anymore. good luck again

Ken Block can't drive i wish i could drive half as good as him. it would take me 2000 takes to get some of his moves right if i could even do them.

David BMar 12, 2012, 11:54 am · #1656

thanks for the positive feedback :)
i gotta do what i gotta do, whichever path it takes to have the most fun.

nismo_200sxMar 12, 2012, 3:21 pm · #1657

this s14 is so dope. thank god i do not see ls1 in that especially since it has a sikky sticker hahahahaha

Gomesf1Mar 18, 2012, 9:09 pm · #1658

dont you has another s12?

David BMar 19, 2012, 1:26 am · #1659

Nah, that black coupe is just at my house a lot because my friend won't stop blowing up motors


Post Merge: [time]01:29:35 AM / 19-Mar-12 [/time]
posted image

Hands down one of the most bad ass s12's ever. My first build laid to rest. This car gave me so much seat time.
JordanMar 21, 2012, 7:37 pm · #1660

It was a great car. Sad to see it go!

DirtyGazeMar 21, 2012, 8:05 pm · #1661

Hey, some haters talkin shit, but I love the new car and cant wait to see what you can pull off in it sir.

David BMar 21, 2012, 10:00 pm · #1662
DirtyGaze on 08:05:26 PM / 21-Mar-12Hey, some haters talkin shit, but I love the new car and cant wait to see what you can pull off in it sir.

thanks, id like to keep it.. but as stated i can get another one someday! im just always on a budget and i cant have multiple cars, and i need the 1JZ for the s14 which i put a down payment on already, i need 500 more $ and its mine but i need to get a new job first since i lost my current one.. if someone will buy my damn parts i will get it sooner! ugh... lol so close.

this shell has my first grinds/cuts & welds in it.. lots of mistakes made that i cant undo, ive learned so much from it though, and it gave me like 50+ events literally

i just want to drift now, ive made my mark and have received a ton of reputation rocking the s12.. i hope everyone understands.. im not giving up, im moving on and upgrading up to a pro am level car, this new build is gonna be a smoke machine for sure.. and ill get alot of more tandem runs in it.. which is my goal

i think this s12 is gonna get the roof cut off of it, and the cage cut out, then scrapped. my friend wants the cage for his side project e 30

heres my fav video of my s12 in action, though the 1j wasnt running at top potential, first time trying it out at summit.
RedneckMar 21, 2012, 11:10 pm · #1663
David B on 10:00:53 PM / 21-Mar-12i just want to drift now, ive made my mark and have received a ton of reputation rocking the s12.. i hope everyone understands.. im not giving up, im moving on and upgrading up to a pro am level car, this new build is gonna be a smoke machine for sure.. and ill get alot of more tandem runs in it.. which is my goal

Yeah didn't mean to come off as a "hater" even though I was more or less hating haha. Just kinda hard for members like me that can remember when you first joined, and all the progress you have made since then, only to see the end result being the s12 getting scrapped. I can totally understand why you wanna transition to a chassis that actually has an aftermarket and modern rear suspension. Again, just hard to see you go from something as unique as the s12 to something as common as the s13/s14. Nonetheless I still wish you all the best regardless of whatever path you take chassis wise and definitely hope you stay somewhat active here and keep in touch. I will be looking for the new build thread for the s14 when you finally pick it up so we can follow your progress : ).
JayMar 22, 2012, 12:30 am · #1664

I fully support and am happy your going to continue to do what you love. Nothing wrong with that.

However, to say that the S12 is not a pro-am level car is simply not a true statement. Iggy's been running Pro-AM for ages.

David BMar 22, 2012, 2:24 am · #1665

********

JayMar 22, 2012, 3:21 am · #1666
David B on 10:00:53 PM / 21-Mar-12im not giving up, im moving on and upgrading up to a pro am level car, this new build is gonna be a smoke machine for sure.. and ill get alot of more tandem runs in it.. which is my goal

Right there.... You didn't state the rest of that anywhere else, so I had nothing to go off of but that.

No need to be hostile about it, I wasn't being hostile at all about my statement. I'm not arguing you using an S14, at all. Give 'er hell. There is absolutely no denying your S12 shell was quite haggard, and definitely used. Sure it could be resurrected and used again, but it's totally not worth it. The only thing that I have to say about the whole deal that saddens me is it didn't get some kind of a viking's death. It sure would've been approproate. If an S14 is necessary and what you see fit, then fuck the nay-sayers. A car is a damn car, and nothing but a tool, a means to an end, and just an object.

He didn't have a cage, but the Pro-am is where he wrecked the silver CA18DET car.
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=32048.msg326428#msg326428

I would be incredibly surprised if they ran pro-am tandem without cages. I would think that's a no-brainer in the rulebook requirement.

Oh, and I told you so. ;)

Jay on 05:29:37 PM / 14-Dec-11You can't do it with a pro-level car. Not even an amateur one.

Straight from the D1 pro-am 2011 book

3.3.2 Suspension Design
The basic OEM suspension design type may be freely modified. The original
suspension mounting "pick-up points" must remain in the stock, unmodified
location

and

3.3.4 Front cross member and/or front or rear sub-frame
Front and rear sub-frames and cross members must be stock and available
on the exact model that is competing in Formula Drift. The subframe must
also be mounted in the exact stock location, without being moved in any
plane.

Because the SRA never came with a subframe. You can't add one.

(IF you plan on going any higher with the S12, and into the D1 pro-am, anyway)

David B on 10:54:24 PM / 17-Dec-11i dont care about FD or D1 lol.
if i were to ever drive in those events id be driving a sponserd car i bet! its the only way.. lol. i just want a crazy ass car that will give me alot of seat time

I have to be honest. I saw it coming a mile away. I have nothing to say but congratulations, and slide that shit harder than ever before. I'm not hatin. :thumbsup:

I need to start getting more serious about my car. Seasons coming up and I will tandem hell or high water.
rollingstockMar 22, 2012, 11:47 am · #1667

wait before you start cutting it up. im going to try and come get in it

David BMar 22, 2012, 11:55 am · #1668

It's okay jay, I didn't mean to come off as hostile either.. Did you get your axles? Thanks fr your insight, I've just had a lot of people talking smack to me lately on and off the forums, and I can't believe it because I shouldnt be bashed for switching chassis's. Half of the people don't have anything to do with drifting anyways

And rolling stock! I think this arrangement is perfect for both of us, so I'm gonna hold off for you as long as I can, just try to get the $ together the best you can sir

cutter67Mar 22, 2012, 12:23 pm · #1669
posted image

it should have the viking death not just cut up
JayMar 22, 2012, 2:42 pm · #1670
David B on 11:55:01 AM / 22-Mar-12It's okay jay, I didn't mean to come off as hostile either.. Did you get your axles? Thanks fr your insight, I've just had a lot of people talking smack to me lately on and off the forums, and I can't believe it because I shouldnt be bashed for switching chassis's. Half of the people don't have anything to do with drifting anyways

Yessir I got them. I just haven't even taken them out of the box yet. When they arrived one of the splines was poking out of it, which made me giggle. There's no damage to it so IDGAF. Right now I have some loaded S110 calipers and rotors on the way, so soon enough.

posted image

I just snapped that.

People will disagree. People will hate. Just the nature of how life is. There will always be critics. I'll be the last person to give you flack. I'm a moderator on an S12 website who DD's an E30. Two COMPLETELY different things.

I firmly believe that if more people on here bought and drove nice E30's, they'd wonder what they ever saw in the S12. And I know I'll catch flack for that statement, even though I still love mine, it's a great car, and it does its job nicely.
cutter67Mar 22, 2012, 2:54 pm · #1671

I firmly believe that if more people on here bought and drove nice E30's, they'd wonder what they ever saw in the S12. And I know I'll catch flack for that statement, even though I still love mine, it's a great car, and it does its job nicely.

i dont know if you deserve to have the little guy as a avatar anymore :(

David BMar 22, 2012, 5:34 pm · #1672

Holy shit haha, sorry about that, I thought I crammed enough cardboard in there, glad to see they made it! Lol

Nick_WMar 22, 2012, 9:43 pm · #1673

First time i've visited your build thread in 2 years and I see you no longer have an s12.  What is the world coming to!!!  lol   I remember when i was first on this forum and you were asking people how to do an oil change properly.. hahah funny shit in retrospect.

  The thing i always thought was cool was that you never gave up, on the s12 or learning more about cars.  Good luck on the