Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Ashley's S12 Awesomeness

Started by ashleyanne · Aug 14, 2010 · 135postsSMF 2010–26

Wolf DilworthAug 23, 2010, 10:54 am · #51

Carefully drill out the hole until there are just threads left inside. Using a scribe, clean as much of the threads out, then start a tap in the hole to clean out the rest.  If this fails drill over sized for a thread insert.

Lotsa luck, Wolf

BoostedVGAug 23, 2010, 2:10 pm · #52

Stripped P.O.S
(http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/102/l_9015c8a2e4664aaba03f04235077f708.jpg)
 Weld a big nut to it and turn it out with a wrench... or grind a slot into it with a cut off wheel and use a big screw driver.

David BAug 23, 2010, 3:31 pm · #53

grind the slot off it,

then use a impact hammer/chisel and aim it diagonal to break it loose

ashleyanneAug 25, 2010, 8:03 pm · #54

Oh wow, all you guys are really helpful, I REALLY appreciate it!! It sucks, I'm going to go attempt to vise grip it right now, and see how that works. I haven't touch my car since it snapped, just been frustrated and 0 patience.

I guess that's the only downfall to being a woman who's into cars.
Cars = patience, women = no patience.

A guy friend brought me to that realization.

Wolf DilworthAug 25, 2010, 9:50 pm · #55

Don't worry, just take ten slow deep breaths and then... Kick the dog/cat.  

Wolf

ashleyanneAug 25, 2010, 10:32 pm · #56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmhjf0rKe8...feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmhjf0rKe8&feature=related)

No kicking of animals! They are too cute.

hotdoghogieAug 25, 2010, 11:07 pm · #57
ashleyanneNo kicking of animals! They are too cute.


Once upon a time I kicked my roomates dog...
(http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/jgettles/UglyAssDog.jpg)
sam31183Aug 26, 2010, 12:44 am · #58

did it eat your foot and shit it out to hell?

EternalSwapAug 26, 2010, 4:37 pm · #59

it might have stripped because its not a allen, its supposed to be a torx bit, like a t45 iirc. the po might have messed it up

that shit messed me up bigtime when i was doing my timing belt ha

ashleyanneAug 26, 2010, 10:56 pm · #60
EternalSwapit might have stripped because its not a allen, its supposed to be a torx bit, like a t45 iirc. the po might have messed it up

that shit messed me up bigtime when i was doing my timing belt ha


Well JEEZ that's good to know. It's going to the exhaust shop tomorrow so that I can finally get that done, I'm going to see if the guy is down to weld a bit into it and pull that crap out, finally.

As for that hideous animal, ew.
ashleyanneJun 23, 2011, 12:58 am · #61

Tiiiiime to resurrect this thread!!

So, my interior is now stripped as far as backseats and  the  whole carpet. Ive got  new radiator an changed out my leaking hoses. Im finally getting my exhaust done next week. Got a wink mirror, a 12" sub, a new deck, powerbass speakers all around :] cleaned up my engine bay a little and getting a new aluminum overflow tank soon. Got rid of my hubcapz and steelies, replaced with wheels off an 86 s12...

Looking to do a ka24e swap. Think its most simple, cost efficient and they can make 1000hp +!

VG33ERGazelle?Jun 23, 2011, 5:54 am · #62

^
yer doin it rite.

VG30_S12Jun 23, 2011, 7:39 am · #63

Congrats on making a fine engine choice... KAs are tough as nails...
 I Just went through that not too long ago(feel like im still going through it lol) its not bad...
Not banging on the "e" but spend a few moar bucks and get a "de" just my $0.02

ashleyanneJun 23, 2011, 10:56 am · #64

Was thinking about but I still want the unique aspect of an e. I got rid of all my other original ideas.

spiderwebfxJun 23, 2011, 8:49 pm · #65

Wish we had females into S12's in NZ.

Wait, rephrase that,

Wish we had females into decent cars in NZ.

Especially ones with a bit of knowledge about what they're doing.
Car is looking good btw!

ArroJun 24, 2011, 2:37 am · #66
VG30_S12 on 07:39:00 AM / 23-Jun-11Congrats on making a fine engine choice... KAs are tough as nails...
 I Just went through that not too long ago(feel like im still going through it lol) its not bad...
Not banging on the "e" but spend a few moar bucks and get a "de" just my $0.02

+1, the "E" is a "boost only" motor IMO, unless it is free, then it's a freebie upgrade. Otherwise, the KA24DE is the way to go. If you want to be different, don't sacrifice power and practicality for uniqueness, find other ways to be unique (such as engine bay color scheme, bolt-on choices like superchargers, or nitrous, something nobody seems to play with on here).

ashleyanneJun 24, 2011, 1:52 pm · #67

Thanks :D yeah I plan on boosting it :D I would like a supercharger because I dont want boost lag, plus how awesome would a super loud whine from my car be? Turbos are cool but lag is not and I dont really want a bigger displacement motor. Plus I pro/conned other motor swaps and eh. Haha. Thanks for not hating, everyone keeps saying,"just spend a little more for a lot more power blah blab." 240 fanbois lol

VG33ERGazelle?Jun 24, 2011, 1:58 pm · #68

why buy a ka when you can get an sr? duh.

^
I just about vomited trying to pretend I meant that.

and btw +1 for supercharging. it's hella fun and sounds awesome haha

silvia loveJun 24, 2011, 2:33 pm · #69

yea ka24e! rofl i hate mine sooo slow... but they're super easy to work on though.

JayJun 24, 2011, 2:48 pm · #70

I dunno if I'm weird, but I love turbo lag.
It's the calm before the fury. I HATED when my probe made 20psi at 1400 RPM. Was the worst thing imaginable for city driving.

silvia loveJun 24, 2011, 3:17 pm · #71
Jay on 02:48:13 PM / 24-Jun-11I dunno if I'm weird, but I love turbo lag.
It's the calm before the fury. I HATED when my probe made 20psi at 1400 RPM. Was the worst thing imaginable for city driving.
no your completely normal! i love turbos and lag too. nothing like free energy producing more power. turbo>supercharger

i have a 1988 mr2 supercharger in my garage, it has a electronically controled clutch to activate the pulley to make boost. that would be nice because you could wire to a switch and activate it when you want. but the whole assembly is fucking huge and wouldnt fit with lotsa work.
ashleyanneJun 24, 2011, 5:07 pm · #72

VG33ERGazelle? on 01:58:11 PM / 24-Jun-11why buy a ka when you can get an sr? duh.

I almost cried reading that, haha.

I used to like/not mind turbo lag, but some of the driving I would be doing down here, I would hate to hit boost in the middle of a turn and swerve off the road. Sounds absolutely terrible haha. I mean I guess I would eventually get used to it and drive less ridiculous, but eh. I've been throwing around the idea of turbo or supercharger. Figure, want more power, just get a bigger pullley.

No hate for turbos though, believe me, I like them. I just recently painted a Garrett T28  pink, I'll have to post pictures :D
VG33ERGazelle?Jun 24, 2011, 5:18 pm · #73

that's why blowers are so kosher, you don't suddenly get a huge hadoken of power to the face and spiral off into the weeds.

ashleyanneJun 24, 2011, 5:23 pm · #74

Yeah and that's what I'm going for!

ArroJun 24, 2011, 5:29 pm · #75

Turbo lag is either because you have a REALLY big turbo (think T4, T66, 20G, Holset, etc.) or because your exhaust is too small, and your BOV sux. If you set it up right, a good turbo will hit full boost so fast your head will spin, and you will laugh at people who talk about "lag" as a motivation to look at superchargers.

BUT...

If you go supercharger, there are already adapter plates for the KA24DE to use an Exterra blower, and I think only ONE guy has done it so far. It works well with the DE because the intake manifold splits into two parts, and the blower replaces the stock plenum section... the adapter plate makes it BOLT on. The KA24E intake manifold doesn't allow for this, and you'd be stuck with either a centrifugal blower (expen$ive) and a custom mounting bracket, or an even more expensive custom intake manifold for whatever random twin screw blower you want to try.

Also, you might not be aware of it, but the KA24DE uses side-flow injectors that are compatible with the SR20, meaning that SR20DET injectors are a cheap upgrade for a KA24DE going boost. With the KA24E, the top-flow injectors will require more expensive aftermarket, which usually means a custom injector building shop (mail order, lots of expense).

This is why I was telling you that as you get into things more, the KA24DE is a better choice on the whole, regardless of what you intend to do with it. I know you want to be different, but understand that the reason why it is more popular now than both SR and KA24E is because (at least in North America) it is the wisest choice for a variety of factors.

Add to that the fact that you can indeed obtain aftermarket cams for the KA24DE in a variety of specs, as well as adjustable sprockets from vendors, and it leaves me wondering why anyone would choose a KA24E over a KA24DE unless they are getting it for super cheap or free.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to ram "KA24DE" down your throat, Ash :P I'm just pointing out the details here. I'll be honest with you, when the first few people on C-S12 were just TALKING about KA24DE's going into S12's (many years ago) I was resistant, believing that the CA18ET was a better starting point (or even the VG30E). I was highly resistant but now not only am I a believer, but I have the proof revving quite healthily in the engine bay of my own KA24DE-powered S12. It's not boosted yet, but even still, I have a good amount of power more than a KA24E... I'm already VERY quick down the road, and I know that boosting it will be even better. But the nice thing about the DE is that in the meantime, you have a nice, peppy engine that gives you a respectable performance increase.

Just some things to think about. Might as well throw in that you might want to read through this, too:

http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=27031.0

Also, it comes down to what you want to spend. If you're willing to toss in lots of $$$, anything is possible with the most unlikely of engines.

VG30_S12Jun 24, 2011, 5:31 pm · #76

Nm

ArroJun 24, 2011, 5:36 pm · #77

The KA24E has less power... 140hp and 152tq vs. the KA24DE's 155hp and 160tq. That's 15 more horsepower, and nearly 10 more ft lbs of torque. There is a good deal of that due to the head design, plus the 16v head flows air better at the top end, meaning that custom cams can take better advantage of the top end. It also means that as you increase airflow (think boost), your get more power per extra PSI of boost than you would from the SOHC KA head.

It also employs a more advanced ignition design (even more advanced in the 1995 and up models), and a superior fuel delivery system (including the computer).

You can also use NISTUNE on the KA24DE, making your standard computer a fully-programmable ECM.

Also, there will be more room for a supercharger in the KA24DE as the intake wraps around downward.. more room there than if you had to cut the KA24E manifold and fit something there. Not impossible, but more difficult.

decoJun 24, 2011, 11:48 pm · #78

Man, you about have me convinced now... shit....

Navy_Mech2Jun 26, 2011, 1:32 pm · #79

pffff. turbo VG all the way lol

seishukuJun 26, 2011, 3:29 pm · #80

That's not turbo lag, it's foreplay.

ArroJun 26, 2011, 9:58 pm · #81

lol@Matt :P

Navy, while that would be awesome, it would also be highly custom, and not for beginners or even amateurs; I myself would be biting off a lot to chew with it because I'm not good at welding yet.

SomeoneWhoIsntMeJun 26, 2011, 10:09 pm · #82

there's really no point in a KA24E swap with how cheap DE's are from s13 kids... make friends with somebody and grip yourself a KA24DE + 5 speed from someone that's doing an SR swap for like $300

hotcam that shit and you're in business, and save up to turbo it if when you get bored

ArroJun 26, 2011, 10:19 pm · #83

Like I said, if you get a ridiculously cheap (or free) KA24E, then go for it. Otherwise...

SomeoneWhoIsntMeJun 27, 2011, 1:33 am · #84
Arro on 10:19:22 PM / 26-Jun-11Like I said, if you get a ridiculously cheap (or free) KA24E, then go for it. Otherwise...
I mean... I think the $300 or $400 is worthwhile if you're going through the trouble of a motor swap, even compared to a free ka24e  :laugh:
ArroJun 27, 2011, 1:42 am · #85

Depends... if you don't have 300 bux, free is mighty appealing :P

sam31183Jun 27, 2011, 2:15 am · #86

almost anything is better than the 20e....

RoofJun 27, 2011, 2:19 am · #87

It seems like most people have had a lot more problems with the ka24de, didn't they have some recall from a bogus chain guide or something.  I know one of my friends the chain busted through the valve cover.  I'd go with the KA24e since it seems like they're a little more reliable.  If your planning on turboing I'd go ca18 or sr20 though.

ArroJun 27, 2011, 2:37 am · #88

The first year ones found in the last S13's, some of them had that problem, but usually the chain guide was just loose and resulted in chain noise; what you're talking about was not related to the recall and is an uncommon problem.

If anyone really wants to know what both engines can do, and what problems they have, the prudent thing to do would be to sign up an account on ka-t.org and read the testimonials on the forum.

sam31183Jun 27, 2011, 2:41 am · #89

from what i understand nissan said the chain guides where totally unnecessary on all kades...whether or not your timing chain is going to bust through your valve cover sounds like more urban legend to me...

ArroJun 27, 2011, 3:05 am · #90

Having seen the inside of my KA24DE's chain area, I'm inclined to agree with this; the guides look totally useless.

sam31183Jun 27, 2011, 3:08 am · #91

i have removed my top guide...if i ever get around to replacing my chain and tensioner i am going to remove the lower one as well...the thing makes a damned racket...but i have found that at around 4k or so you cant hear it...lol.

Navy_Mech2Jun 27, 2011, 1:48 pm · #92

^ exhaust note may or may not help with that lol

Arro: Yea youre right. If i ever get a hold of an SE thats the route im going though since all the other swaps seem to be getting too common. Except for David's 1J and Collin's 33er

David BJun 27, 2011, 2:30 pm · #93

lets all just have 1j/2j/1uz/2uz/3uz

SomeoneWhoIsntMeJun 27, 2011, 3:14 pm · #94

still uncommon swaps: 4age, 3sge, f20c, 13b, B6/BP...

edit: L28T

sam31183Jun 27, 2011, 5:08 pm · #95

mmmm na built 4age with carbs....too bad my brother has one in an ae86 already...haha.

Navy_Mech2Jun 27, 2011, 6:35 pm · #96

Obviously i didnt name them all lol but i would still like to see a 13/20b in a s12. Greg needs to make it happen!

sam31183Jun 27, 2011, 7:07 pm · #97

ex step dads 20b fd should finally be done this year...after several years of waiting...

s12_PilotJun 30, 2011, 5:26 pm · #98

Go with a CA18 imho.

SlickS12Jun 30, 2011, 10:02 pm · #99

dark matter rockets would be out of this world.  just saying =P

ashleyanneJul 13, 2011, 6:50 pm · #100

Still going with KA24E lol, gonna turbo it. It's gonna be awesome.

IN CURRENT EVENTS:

I finally got manual window regulators! YAY!

Shipped from Colonel Gustard (thank you sir)!

Before (power windows)
(http://i52.tinypic.com/2pp0uqb.jpg)

After:
(http://i56.tinypic.com/2znpjc8.jpg)

I don't have door panels, getting them made out of sheet metal. Going to look awesome. Also, I painted the door handles, as they were originally black. Gotta add my own spice ;]

Nomnomnom<3