Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Marks S12 Grand Prix

Started by sunny1600 · Feb 5, 2011 · 141postsSMF 2010–26

ProlowtoneApr 20, 2011, 4:35 pm · #51

Sweet!

Wolf DilworthApr 20, 2011, 9:59 pm · #52
sunny1600 on 03:42:04 PM / 20-Apr-11posted image


Hey what is that car to the right of yours in this shot?  Interesting rear end, looks sort of like a Renault...
sunny1600Apr 21, 2011, 2:19 am · #53

Not really, it's not a new nissan.

A datsun 120A FII

posted image
posted image

Drft-s12Apr 21, 2011, 3:15 pm · #54

So that Zeitronics will work with FJ??? How is it different from a SAFC??

sunny1600Apr 21, 2011, 6:18 pm · #55

Thank you for contacting NISSAN Customer Service with regards to the NISSAN SILVIA S 12 GP.

 

From 1983 - 1989 4.400 Units were build, 3.483 with FJ20E.

For the ZT2 I will get back to you :)

Wolf DilworthApr 22, 2011, 1:39 am · #56
sunny1600 on 02:19:04 AM / 21-Apr-11
A datsun 120A FII

Wow, I have never seen one before, kinda cool...  but in the color shot it sure does look like someone gave it a swift kick in the ass end.   

Hmmm.

tommyApr 22, 2011, 7:07 am · #57

I wonder if it's related to the b210... aussie's name for it was the 120y


Post Merge: [time]08:10:07 AM / 22-Apr-11 [/time]
A quick search on wiki told otherwise...

it's not related to the nissan sunny, but to the nissan cherry... it's the first nissan FWD car ever sold in North America (so it's a FF car).  It's using the famous a12 engine (same as the datsun 1200 and 120y engine)
sunny1600Apr 27, 2011, 6:59 am · #58

Monday 27-04-2011

Had a busy weekend, with on monday some time to fix the car.

The FJ20 engine made a strange rattle. I was a bit worried because the common chain rattle is just during start up for a few seconds on a cold engine. In my case it was also during revving like 2000RPM and when starting the engine when it was warm. Decided to replace the chain tensioner for the mazda chain tensioner 395312500A

It was a bit of a puzzle but we managed to replace the tensioner with the modded mazda one.

Some pics
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

How the FJ20 sounded
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0_mBaJ4vZEU

and sorted
posted image

After that we planned to built in the ZT-2. It is partly done, due to time problems but here is some of it
posted image
posted image
posted image
The rest of it will be build in shortly.

A buddy of mine is going to make a nice cover of poly so the ZT-2 will be on the spot the radio used to be and the radio can be mounted lower.

Afterwards I did a photoshoot with a buddy of mine.
posted image
posted image
posted image

And yesterday I went to the premiere of fast and furious 5. Paul Walker and The Rock come to the movie and did a little speech for us. Cool

Thats all for now folks! To be continued
posted image

sunny1600May 9, 2011, 6:39 am · #59

Car has been polished and it shines again.

Here are some pics of it
'posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

sunny1600May 16, 2011, 7:49 am · #60

Did some instalment of the Zeitronics ZT-2.
The fuel pressure is measured now, and the EGT sensor is connected.

Then did some maintence to the car.
- Tie-rods front replaced
- Brake pads front and rear
- Brake fluid refreshed
- LSD oil refreshed
- thermostat replaced
- Cooling system flush and new coolant
- Oil filter replaced

Afterwards decided to wash the car and take it for a spin. And took some pictures.

Look at the beading on the GP. Im getting hungry again.
There was no beading when I brought the car to my buddy.
posted imageposted image
posted image
posted image

And last saturday I did a semi-proffesional photo shoot with the S12. Pictures are coming soon, the guy that made the photos needs to do some finishing on the pics.
posted image

Next thing to do is getting the car aligned? Dont know if this is the right word.

Anyhow short term to do list is
building in the rest of the ZT2 sensors
taking the car for a spin on the Nordschleife in Germany.

Long term
BC racing coils
FJ20E+T project
And everything what comes between

I update to many times?

sunny1600Jul 8, 2011, 6:34 pm · #61

Good news Bad news time

Good news
I received the spare GP kit so my buddy can do some replica's when he has time

Bad news :(
Was going to a dutch Nissan meeting this evening. Driving and noticed the engine was getting too warm. So put the blower on hot and 4 and hoped for the best... but soon I got the white (non catholic) smoke. So the car got towed away to a car shop and have to make arrangements to pick it up shortly. And then fix what ever damage there is.

Some pics
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/S12%20topic%2032/P1160841Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/S12%20topic%2032/P1160845Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/S12%20topic%2032/P1160847Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/S12%20topic%2032/P1160848Medium.jpg)
[

Wolf DilworthJul 8, 2011, 7:12 pm · #62

Damn that is the pits...  Hope you get'er back on the road soon.

sunny1600Jul 17, 2011, 2:21 pm · #63

Blog was delayed some time due to some problems on the S12sil site.
But in the end it all turns out fine.
 http://s12silvia.com/community/index.php?/topic/7240-blog-drivers-blog-mark-van-der-velden/ (http://s12silvia.com/community/index.php?/topic/7240-blog-drivers-blog-mark-van-der-velden/)

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_intro.jpg)

There are many reasons as to why those of us who make up the Nissan S12 community would claim it is by far one of the best cars ever made. In the past year, it has not only been us of the S12 community who have appreciated them. The S12 has risen from a forgotten car to one that can almost be claimed to have a cult-like appeal with the amount of fans worldwide that have taken notice and fallen in love with it.

Yet, even among the many variations that Nissan released of the S12, there is one model that stands out from the rest. Literally, the zenith of styling and power, the only S12 model that could come close to that of the Grand Prix S12 would be the Full White S12. Moreover, what better way to start the re-introduction of S12Silvia.com's blog than with a Grand Prix S12? This Grand Prix is clearly not your Sunday driver nor your stay in the carport but for a car show S12. It is owned by an individual who both understands and values the car for what it is by taking it out to the ever-fabled track the Nordschleife. A long time in the works and in waiting, we here at S12Silvia.com are very proud to offer this exclusive coverage of Mark van der Velden and his S12 Grand Prix (http://s12silvia.com/?page_id=1996)


Post Merge: 02:37:47 PM / 17-Jul-11
http://s12silvia.com/?page_id=1996 (http://s12silvia.com/?page_id=1996)

Driver's Blog: Mark van der Velden – part 1

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_intro.jpg)

As contemporary and local to our fellow S12 member Nils (http://s12silvia.com/?page_id=640), the one who started our Driver's Blog series, we knew immediately that Mark would be one of those guys. Kind, knowledgeable, understanding, helpful, and the all-around great guy you would want to meet. Having talked with him for some time, we were quite anxious to feature him and after much effort on his part, Mark has assembled several pictures of his car and written a bit about both himself and his experiences for us. Just reading his story and browsing the pictures he had for us proved to us that there is not much better but an individual who truly values his vehicle.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_VanDer_Velden.jpg)

Hey guys, my name is Mark, 28 years old and hail from the Netherlands. My first was a '91 Nissan Sunny N14, which had a GA16DS. I drove that car for three years and enjoyed it to its fullest. While owning, I drove on the Nordschleife in Germany several times and even took it to the big Japanese Festival in the UK in both 2009 and 2010. After some time I began to want something faster and preferably RWD. After much effort I was able to obtain my Grand Prix S12 (FJ20E powered) after quite a trip.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_FJ.jpg)

I had owned my Sunny for three years and as mentioned loved it. After the years of building it and driving it on the track, I began to strip my N14 and sought to move on. I then found myself thinking about what I wanted next. Did I want to pay road tax for a track car that I only was able to drive six months out of the year? I knew I wanted to avoid paying road tax so I knew it had to be pre-1987.  I also preferred a RWD car so I began talking to a fellow Nissan enthusiast of the Dutch Nissan club. It happened that a friend of him owned a Grand Prix S12 with a swapped JDM FJ20ET.  He suggested that a Grand Prix S12 would be my best choice and advised me to look in Germany for a Grand Prix S12. Despite being available in Germany, even the Grand Prix S12 is a rare commodity there.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_2.jpg)

There were several reasons for my purchasing of the S12. In the Netherlands, cars that have been registered before January 1 1987 are not applicable to pay road taxes. I only have to pay car insurance (full insurance), which is quite cheap. In addition, I bought the S12 knowing its rarity as a Grand Prix, driving on a track, and for going to meets with the local Dutch Nissan club.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_5.jpg)

I really love the Grand Prix S12. I could have easily bought an S13 or a RHD S14 for the same amount or possibly less but the Grand Prix S12 is much more of a rare chassis. This is especially true in the Netherlands where there are not many S12s were sold. When I drive the Grand Prix, I constantly see people stare in confusion and many times, I get the thumbs up when cruising. I love getting recognition and helping to prove that the S12 is as great of a car as the S13 or S14.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_6.jpg)

With so much capability of the Grand Prix platform, the options are great. So many things I could do but for the short-term, not much. I have replaced some parts that required it and changed many of the fluids. As recent, I am looking to open the engine up and assess its current condition. At first, I wanted to strip the car in its entirety and have a cage welded in but I have fallen in love with the stock interior so for now refrain from doing so.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_interior.jpg)

I currently plan to drive my Grand Prix on both the road and the track. I plan to continue to take it to the Nordschleife and to the Japanese Auto Extravaganza in the UK. I attended it in the past two years and am planning to go there again marking it, my third visit. This winter I plan to buy some BC racing coils, do an S13 front suspension conversion with appropriate S13 brakes. I have currently been preparing my winter progress as I have bought ES polyurethane bushes, S13 hugs, and S13 calipers.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_3.jpg)

I also need to acquire a set of bucket seats but that is not as easy a task as it may seem. I wish to have a set of bucket seats that fit the interior of the car even if it is 'dated' to the 80?s. If it becomes quite difficult to obtain a set bucket seats that fit my taste, I may have a set reupholstered to make them more fitting. Regarding the chassis itself, I want to add some stiffness to the car by way of both sway bars and strut bars. All this may be long-term depending on my funds. My brother is going to San Francisco and shortly after I will be following on a road trip along the west coast of the US.  Yes, my funds may be short by that time so if the BC racing coils have to wait then wait they will.  I have no problem with that for the car is not leaving me any time soon.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_4.jpg)

At this time in addition to assessing the motor's health, I am looking to upgrade to an FJ20ET exhaust manifold for my future turbo plans.  I plan to run low boost at that time but who knows what happens after that.  Most assuredly, it will be fun.  Next year I want to take the car to other tracks participating at track days such as the Belgium circuits Spa Francorchamps and Zolder in addition to a Dutch track, Zandvoort.

(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_1.jpg)

Be sure to keep an eye out for Part Two of Mark's blog. It covers his experiences on the Nordschleife in both the Sunny and his Grand Prix S12 along with some downloadable content about the Nordschleife.

Pictures go credit to: Jorg Jakowski, Ring-bilder.de Photographer: Jörg Jakowski, Ringbilder.de Photographer: Christian Wolf, Carphotos.nl Photographer: Martijn Huiskes, Member of SXOC.nl; Photographer: Paul Krauth (Anu on SXOC.nl), Member of SXOC.com Photographer: Jim_S13 on SXOC.com, and Roy Zweers for the use of his pictures from his photoshoot (http://www.royzweers.nl/index.php/gallery-menu/carscar-meetingsevents/shoot-nissan-silvia-86).

Wolf DilworthJul 17, 2011, 3:31 pm · #64
sunny1600 on 02:21:09 PM / 17-Jul-11(http://s12silvia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mark_GPS12_1.jpg)


OK, now your just gettin all artsy fartsy and existentialist on us... LOL

Great shots keep 'em coming.

Beautiful countryside up there in the Netherlands, hows your immigration policy?  I may want to move there if the Republicans take over here in 2012.  lol
sunny1600Jul 17, 2011, 3:33 pm · #65

Lol

You are from the States so its not hard to come here for ya guys.

Benefits:
S12 Grand Prix's
Nordschleife

Both in Germany (next to the Netherlands)

Wolf DilworthJul 17, 2011, 4:39 pm · #66

Nordschleife = Pure wood

sunny1600Jul 17, 2011, 4:40 pm · #67

Tell me about it. Be aware it is an addiction.

Next year planning to buy a yearcard. Unlimited amount of rounds hell yeah!

Wolf DilworthJul 17, 2011, 5:53 pm · #68

Yeah I have heard there is a toll, do not know how much.  Care to share?

sunny1600Jul 17, 2011, 5:55 pm · #69

sure mate

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/angebote/driving-experiences/tourist-rides-nordschleife.html

season ticket is 1350euro

Wolf DilworthJul 17, 2011, 6:00 pm · #70

1350 euro, yeow!  I would prolly stick to the 24 euro deal unless I lived REAL close by.

sunny1600Jul 17, 2011, 6:02 pm · #71

Well I live 200km/2hours drive away so no biggy.

Yes it is big money.


Post Merge: 01:22:35 PM / 18-Jul-11
Maandag 18-01-2011

Just come back from my buddy. The head has been taken off.. and it was not good.

Unfortunately it wasnt the head gasket. The head is cracked by 2 cylinders. I already contact a local guy that has a spare FJ20 head.

If it is al going to cost too much than the car is going for a soon winter sleep and be awakened next year. Full revision is too much money for me atm.

Coolant hose on the rear of the engine that is cracked.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160865Medium.jpg)

The head studs were determined but they came loose.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160871Medium.jpg)

cracked head in 2 places.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160873Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160876Medium.jpg)

(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160880Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160881Medium.jpg)

Is this normal?
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160886Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160892Medium.jpg)

Quite pathetic this way
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160894Medium.jpg)

And the head..... is off for a single journey
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160896Medium.jpg)

sunny1600Oct 29, 2011, 7:35 pm · #72

Time to give you guys an update.
There where two events I wanted to take the car to. The first one was the Nurmeet which is the biggest SX event on the Nordschleife (called often the Nurburgring) which is hosted by a German member from SXCE (Nils aka Spec). The other event was the biggest Japanese cars show in Europa. It is called Japanese Auto Extravaganza (aka JAE) and is held in the United Kingdom.

After reading this story you will know if i succeeded.

The FJ20 is not sold in massive amounts over here. S12's are not sold much too here in the Netherlands. So the search for parts was difficult, too say the least.
I needed a new FJ20 head because my old one was cracked in two places.

So I put out a request and a local Japanese scrapyard had a FJ20e head so I picked that one up and took it to the re-builder.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P110720_114850.jpg)\

The FJ parts where hard to get here. I asked the local Nissan dealer ship what they could provide. Not much to be honest. They could only get me the rotor and some belts (like the fan belt etc).
The rest of the parts I had to get imitation. So I ordered Nipparts thermostat, Nipparts spark plug wires, spark plugs, got aftermarket and Gates hoses,

- New oil (Castrol Magnatec 10W40 )
- New coolant
- Head gasket for the FJ20
- spark plugs
- Spark plug wires
- coolant
- oil filter
- Belt (which had some small cracks so we also replaced)

I got some help from Colin (Draconis). I had found a OE head gasket set in the States. However the seller couldn't send outside the US so Colin offered his help and got me the head gasket set. Alot of thanks for that, Clublife FTW!!

Also put my paint skills at work
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2033/P1160881Medium-1.jpg)

Also I found on ebay Germany a seller that sold some OE FJ20 stuff. I got from him
- OE rotor
- OE distributor
- OE breech seal
- OE Belts

I also wanted to replace the water pump. However the dealer couldn't provide and the carshop had the wrong one which did not fit. Not that of a problem, I could still use the old one but wanted to replace it with a new one.

Anyhow
So when I had collected all the parts needed it was already too late too attend the Nurmeet with the S12. I went shotgun with my buddy in his Primera P11 GT and did one passenger lap that day.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/311930_10150266828831230_618946229_8141504_188175_n.jpg)

Back to the FJ. The mechanic did not trust the way the pistons looked so we took off the oil sump cover. Took out the pistons and checked also the bearings.
They seemed to be ok, only the pistons had some stuff on them. So the mechanic cleaned them up, also he cleaned up the cylinders.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/s12%20topic%2034/P1170190Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/s12%20topic%2034/P1170192Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/s12%20topic%2034/P1170139Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/s12%20topic%2034/P110831_110906.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/s12%20topic%2034/P1170225Medium.jpg)
Well this is not going to fit ever...

Due to the overheating of the engine the inlet manifold got so hot that it had slightly deformed. To close the gap there had to be used some extra gasket stuff. After some time he got the engine running, only needed to have the valves set. I went to my local Nissan dealership which I think are good at what they do. They where supposed to set the valves properly. However there was a problem. The re-builder cut two valve stems they had put in from my old FJ20 head because the other where damaged. So the problem is that the shims are not available. Nissan only provides till something like 2.15 and needed is 2.82. So the solution was to have new shims made. In the meantime I went to JAE, without the S12. I did drive a little while in a S12 with CA18ET of a buddy of mine.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/JAE%202011/P1170578Medium.jpg)
Totally made my day 

I got back after JAE and got some better news. The head has to come off again and the valves have to be replaced. On top of that there are some more problems expected. The mechanic drove the car and when he shifted he said there is blue smoke out of the exhaust. Not a good sign. The engine is also using up some oil and I have the idea it is either leaking some coolant of eating my coolant. So the cylinders have to be checked and the engine needs a total rebuilt. Not cool at all.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/P1170928aftop.jpg)

So after this I got a little bit fed up with the whole S12. Luckily I got a road trip planned to the West Coast of the USA. I had a blast, met some of the US S12 owners (Colin, Andrew, Jason and Hung).
Even got a ride in Andrews car which is very low.
I also got the change to sit in the S12 formerly known as the heartbreaker S12. Henry sold the car to Hung.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/296234_10150397582806703_737281702_10065600_488199752_n.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/P1210333Medium.jpg)

Anyhow holidays don´t last, but when I was there I received a email of a German member of SXCE that he still has a FJ20 for sale. He doesn´t know if its running, he bought it from somebody else that wrecked an S12. For the money he asked for it I decided to take my changes. So the plans are to put the engine in beginning next year with a buddy of mine from the Dutch Nissanclub. Maybe some of the old members have heard of him. He is a member of tati motorsport, a bunch of guys that are into Japanese cars. One of them owns a S12 Grand Prix with FJ20ET which should be running again soon with a SR20DET harness implanted.
The engine came working out of the car, at least that is what the seller heard, no guaranties though. Fingers crossed it all works out fine. Picked this one up with a aftermarket manifold. I forgot the gearbox that was also in the deal but will go back later to get it. The seller was also a nice guy to meet, he wanted to put the FJ in a AE86 but sold the AE86.

(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/DSC03880.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/DSC03879.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/DSC03878.jpg)

One last update. I have bought these recaro seats to replace the shitty stock seats.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/DSC00327.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/IMAG1619.jpg)

When the engine is put in I will post a update here.
Long story I know

ProlowtoneOct 30, 2011, 1:03 am · #73

Damn dude You have no luck with the FJ hahaha, Hope your trip was good and the motor starts to come together properly

kyskaterOct 30, 2011, 3:46 am · #74

hey i was in san diego cant forget kfc lol

sunny1600Oct 30, 2011, 4:39 am · #75

Yes true it hasn't been going too smoothly.

Trip was awesome.

Wolf DilworthOct 30, 2011, 11:59 pm · #76

Thanx for the update.

Looks like "it's getting better, a little better, all the time..."

sunny1600Jan 24, 2012, 7:39 am · #77

Long story....

Saturday the 22th of October me and my buddy Jano went to collect the FJ20 from a German member of SXCE who lives in the Saarland.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/DSC03878.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/DSC03879.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2035/DSC03880.jpg)
 (http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P120116_193103.jpg)
Then I had to wait until a member of the Dutch Nissanclub (Kevin aka B12-power and known by some S12 guys from tati-motorsport with the red S12 Grand Prix FJ20ET) had time to swap the engine.
In the meanwhile there came another FJ20 for sale on Nissanboard (a german Nissan forum). So I bought that one too and it was shipped to me because it was in Dresden (near the Czech border)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/FJ20Enumber3pic2.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/FJ20Enumber3.jpg)
And then it was time for the engine swap.
DAY 1
We started early in the morning. Making sure the engine was free from the body. Decided to also take out the gearbox because there was a seal that needed replacement. This has been on the to do list for quite some time so better do this also.
This was my first engine swap, fortunately Kevin has done this before. And also with S12 GP's.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210854Medium.jpg)
Radiator out, engine mounts loose, lots of hoses/ clips loose, en finally taken out the FJ20.
It was done quickly, gearbox disconnected from the FJ20. Seal replaced, easy fix when the gearbox is out of the car.
 (http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210830Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210836Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210831Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210840Medium.jpg)

(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210843Medium.jpg)
Seal replaced
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210896Medium.jpg)
Old picture
On the swap engine we took away the sump. Welded a bung in the sump so in this way the oiltemp sensor can be mounted.
Exhaust manifold screwed off.
And then we to mount the gearbox back on the FJ. After a lot of fitting, refitting etc this was done. Clutch plate was still looking good so no need to replace that.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210837Medium.jpg)
FJ mounted back in the GP. Reconnected everything en tried to fit the aftermarket manifold. Wouldn't fit because it would hit both the bulkhead and the handlebar. So the OE manifold mounted back.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210850Medium.jpg)
Refill the fluids and see if we got it started. Tried a lot of things but couldn't get it to run. Because it was running late decided to go home and start again tomorrow.
Kevin decided to try some more

B12-power on 03:18:53 PM / 19-Jan-12After 15 seconds it began to run on 4 cylinders…. Not bad for a engine that stood still for some years. The distributor looks shabby, so needs replacement.
http://youtu.be/-sKOsPHzL1Y


Post Merge: 07:45:20 AM / 24-Jan-12
DAY 2
Planning: Wire up things and connect the Zeitronics ZT2 further.
Off course the planning didn't go as planned. All started good. Start and the engine was running sweet. Time for a test-drive. All was good until I revved the car. Engine started to shock alot, so back to the garage. We where literally standing in front of his house when the engine wouldn't start again, so had to push the car. Got it running again and quickly put the car into the garage.
Rotor and distributor taken off again and compared with the distributor of the other engine. Rotor was different, from the "new" engine was higher and thicker.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210878Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210880Medium.jpg)
This one comes from the Nissan dealer
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210883Medium.jpg)
And this one was one the "new" engine.
Fixed the rotor and mounted it. Start the engine… nothing…
Check ignition, check timing. After f*cking around for some time we saw that the rotor was not correctly mounted in position. So switched the spark plug wires. 1 became 4, 2 became 3 and vice versa. Start it and it was running sweet again.
Distributor and rotor taken out again and placed correctly, spark plug wires mounted correctly. Made a test drive and it was all good.
Connected the Zeitronics and decided that the controller will come in the place of the time clock. Good visibility and easy to mount.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210868Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210869Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210876Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210875Medium2.jpg)
I went to collect the GP and the starter engine died. So got towed a few meters, second gear and when doing around 20kms let the clutch come on.  Drove the car back home to the garage and noticed the coolant temp wasn´t correctly displayed. Saw the oil temp on the ZT2 so knew it was all good.
Things to fix.
-   coolant sensor or display.
-   Starter
-   Distributor

(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/P1210892Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/th_V120120_181930.jpg) (http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/nordschleife/S12%20Grand%20Prix/S12%20topic%2036/?action=view&current=V120120_181930.mp4)
ProlowtoneJan 24, 2012, 7:04 pm · #78

Sweet! good to see it running

sunny1600Mar 19, 2012, 1:05 pm · #79

So I have replaced the starter, but still the car wouldnt start. So I have been trying to fix the problem but didn't had the time for it atm. So I towed the car this week to my buddy and he should take a look at it.
Problem had something to do with the spark plug wires and the coil. I switched one of the plug wires with the wire from the coil in the dizzy cap. Stupid mistake... hence the non running explained!

Yesterday we had a meeting I organised in Eindhoven. So perfect opportunity to drive the GP.

There where some things that caught my attention.
- in fifth gear on acceleration there is a "strange" noise. Hard to describe and maybe I am exaggerating but I dont trust it completely.
- at start of the engine there is a strange hard noise coming from the starter or perhaps the flywheel?
- the coolant temp gauge in my dash is living his own live. Driving it is almost on the left side (cold) and when I have the car running stationary it goes to the center. Probably the thermostat needs replacement.

To do list 2012

- solve problems above
- upgrade my radiator with a thicker alu rad. And see what is possible with the use of (slim) fans etc.
- replace the coolant hoses
- have the recaro's collected here and welded in
- deep dish steering wheel
- weld a strutbrace front
- normal maintenance
- drive the GP on the circuits

Winter 2012
- remove the subframe/chassis and have it all powdercoated or with PU paint  sprayed (apparently better/ more bulletproof then coating)
- Energy Suspension PU-bushes mounting
- coilover setup
- 5 lug converion
- brake upgrade

Circuitplans
- hit the Nordschleife in Germany a couple of times
- Japfest 2 Donnington Park (bought already 4 sessions of tracktime)
- if possible do some laps on the Hungaroring in Hungary. The F1 track which is also open a few days a year for trackdays.

Meetings
- the local Eindhoven meetings
- JAF (Japanese Auto Festival in the Netherlands)
- JAE (Japanese Auto Extravaganza in the UK)
- Nürmeet (German SX meeting near/on the Ring)

Some pics of my car at the meeting yesterday.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/ehv%20meeting%2018maart2012/cars/DSC_0302Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/ehv%20meeting%2018maart2012/cars/DSC_0295Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/ehv%20meeting%2018maart2012/cars/DSC_0283Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/ehv%20meeting%2018maart2012/cars/DSC_0274Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/ehv%20meeting%2018maart2012/cars/DSC_0254Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/ehv%20meeting%2018maart2012/cars/DSC_0252Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/ehv%20meeting%2018maart2012/cars/DSC_0237Medium.jpg)

sunny1600Apr 3, 2012, 1:05 pm · #80

Today I got some fresh parts in.

50mm alu rad from a pulsar n14 gtir combined with 2x 12" slim fans.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2037/DSC_0002Medium.jpg)

Lars from NCN is busy with remaking the center caps and Banzai is going to see if he can remake the decals.
These are the decals
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2037/DSC_0021Medium.jpg)

Long time project
FJ20ET stock manifold with stock turbo
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2037/P120403_153352.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2037/P120403_153331.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2037/P120403_152828.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2037/P120403_152814.jpg)

And a device to capture my moments on the Nordschleife/ tracks.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/silvia%20s12GP/S12%20topic%2037/DSC_0006Medium.jpg)

sunny1600Apr 15, 2012, 5:32 pm · #81

Today I had a carmeet with the Dutch Nissanclub. The car has been polished completely. The engine bay has been cleaned by myself and some help, with WD40 FTW> Interior has been cleaned with an extractor, and did a good job. Alot of brown stuff came out, but this was expected.

No pics before, but the result tells it all.

(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0122Medium.jpg)
Engine bay

I didnt take a good pic of the interior, and it needed to dry.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0107Medium.jpg)

My buddy at work
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0001Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0079Medium.jpg)

And some more.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0071Medium.jpg)

Pics of the result
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0090Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0099Medium.jpg)
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0043Medium.jpg)

White trash in the cabin.
(http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq129/sunny1600/2011-05-29/Meetings/DSC_0144Medium.jpg)
cover over it so it does not become dirty

Awesome pic
(http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz247/chiba_kun_2009/S12metdoorzichtigemotorkap.jpg)

cutter67Apr 15, 2012, 5:50 pm · #82

very,very nice....the s12 dreams are made of

sunny1600Apr 15, 2012, 5:52 pm · #83

carbon fibre?

JayApr 15, 2012, 5:54 pm · #84

Out of curiosity, are those wheels 14", or 15"?

sunny1600Apr 15, 2012, 5:55 pm · #85

15" front 7J rear 8J

JayApr 15, 2012, 5:57 pm · #86

I found some 14's in the yard near me for $100. That's why I asked. Not the exact same thing, but very similar.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/Phreakonaleash55/e30%20sale%20stuffs/IMAG1571.jpg)

sunny1600Apr 15, 2012, 6:04 pm · #87

Not even close Jay. I do wonder if they fit the calipers? Better upgrade to 16 inch and get some decent brakes. Trackdays FTW!

JayApr 15, 2012, 6:07 pm · #88

Seeing as my car is sitting 14's right now, I think they'll fit. ;)

At worst, I offload them to someone for $150.

sunny1600Apr 15, 2012, 6:09 pm · #89

Sure it will fit, but the brakes wont fit for track use  :devilsidesmile:

JayApr 15, 2012, 6:10 pm · #90

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/Phreakonaleash55/2-1.jpg)

The brakes work fine for what I do :D

sunny1600Apr 15, 2012, 6:12 pm · #91

Decent track use.. Nordschleife.. ;)

Just fkking around with you but the bigger is better with brakes.

sunny1600Sep 4, 2012, 5:50 am · #92

Topic update.
Some of you have seen the GP at the Nürmeet, for the rest here are the mods done lately.

Mods
- BC racing coilover setup
- S13 pre-facelift brakes replaced with S13 facelift brakes with DS2500 pads.
- S13 front strutbrace modified for the S12
- brake fluid changed to motul RBF660
- Recaro recliner seats out of an Integra Type-R
- QSP Fia 4-point camlock 3 inch

Pics

BC Racing coilovers
(http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/314230_10151024227956230_974921695_n.jpg)
(http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/564732_10151024310746230_757421048_n.jpg)
(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/377347_10151024228016230_2052930521_n.jpg)
Fits perfactly with just S13 brake parts (caliper, brake pad, brake disc, brake lines), S13 hub and S13 spindle. Rest of it is still S12 stuff.

S13 brakes front
(http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/530167_10151024310656230_313971448_n.jpg)
Left pre facelift (256mm), right facelift. (280mm)
(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/549738_10151024227901230_466442312_n.jpg)

strutbrace front
(http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387067_10151024228216230_2041379936_n.jpg)
(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251576_10151024228271230_410116453_n.jpg)

Recaro's and the QSP 4-point camlocks
(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/577004_10151024228116230_28716015_n.jpg)
(http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/574575_10151024228171230_1304996306_n.jpg)

How the car stands atm.
(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554853_10151024228066230_740123039_n.jpg)
(http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/539063_10151024228301230_132892065_n.jpg)

sunny1600Oct 27, 2012, 7:30 am · #93

http://www.wanganwarriors.com/blog/index.php/spotlight-the-art-s12/

(http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/154271_108576469303589_1638740457_n.jpg)

Spotlight: The art of the S12
We of Wangan Warriors are all into everything regarding the Japanese automotive culture out here. That means we are no strangers to some of the most classic models and projects. Actually, we adore them! This beautiful Silvia S12 Grand Prix rolled of the lot in 1986. Twentysix years later it is owned by gearhead Mark van der Velden. His life is all about travelling to visit race circuits and drive them. He's also a Nurburgring addict and thats where we did this photoshoot back in August at the annual nissan Silvia meeting in a small village near the famous Nürburgring.

(http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/550658_108576345970268_1367441411_n.jpg)

Mark changed quite a bit on the Silvia since he imported it. In February 2011 he picked it up with a trailer in Stützengrun in Germany which is near the Czech border.

(http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404206_108576482636921_975175712_n.jpg)

After a few months the engine blew up because of a coolant failure so Mark needed to fix that with an engineswap.

(http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/12801_108576329303603_1426242312_n.jpg)

The FJ20e under the bonnet runs about 145 hp with 184,4 Nm of torque. In the interiour there are Recaro recliner seats with a 4 point QSP safety harness.

(http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/14172_108576402636929_1401304726_n.jpg)

When I took a further look at the interior I was expecting a sport steering wheel as well but the Swiss edition S12 comes with special Grand Prix steering wheel, German ones just got the stock S12 steering wheel like these.

(http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/23924_108576355970267_1369462111_n.jpg)

Because driving on a circuit is no joy without some handling modifications, Mark installed a BC racing coilover setup on his car. And on the front there is also a s13 strutbrace customized to fit the S12. There are also S13 facelift brakes with DS2500 brake pads mounted instead of the stock brakes.

(http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553424_108576369303599_1841524441_n.jpg)

Mark didn't do anything fancy with new wheels but is running on OE Grand Prix Edition Gotti 3- piece rims. With 7j on the front and 8j at the back.

(http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292742_108576335970269_570887141_n.jpg)

As you can see Mark is not scared to drive overseas. Some people would be paranoid after some big engine failure and would only go to places or meetings near their hometown in case anything happens. Mark is almost a regular at JAE.

(http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/599096_108576269303609_1706563595_n.jpg)

The GP edition Silvia is quite exclusive. However the exact numbers today are unknown. Nissan Germany says that there are 4.400 sold in total. Most people doubt these are all Grand Prix's, others say only 50.

(http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/559639_108576385970264_1361678639_n.jpg)

Mark has been an active forummember of ours for a long time and off course he's got one of our stickers on his ride. In fact it's an honour to see it next to the Japan support sticker which were designed after the tsunami in 2011.

(http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420863_108576425970260_1326551214_n.jpg)

Another cool detail about this car is that even the models in 1986 had headlight rain wipers. Even the later Silvia models don't have those, how cool is that!

(http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/398207_108576445970258_1733522996_n.jpg)

Mark made me open my eyes for these classic Silvias and this will sure as hell not be the last feature we will share of a cool classic JDM car. I would also want to say to all the classic owners out there that if you read this, feel free to drop by our end of year meeting. We're not only fond of performance and stance orientated cars but we love classics as well!!

(http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541300_108576292636940_55238185_n.jpg)

I know for certain that Mark will visit some tracks in the future and if I spot him out there I will try to capture him! Thanks to Mark for his enthousiasm and activity on our forum. I had a lot of fun at the Silvia meeting in august! Hope you appreciate the spotlight blog.

- Rens Adams

Tags: Grand Prix, JAE, Nissan, Nürburgring, S12

sunny1600Oct 28, 2012, 7:57 am · #94

Some pictures made from Paul from Wangan Warriors during the Nürmeet.

(http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/60727_108613599299876_693494534_n.jpg)(http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/553943_109000629261173_484618931_n.jpg)
(http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396316_108613569299879_822989473_n.jpg)
(http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/36621_108613659299870_944149443_n.jpg)

Sean_howell1Oct 28, 2012, 11:57 am · #95

Looks like fun :)

pakii-afaOct 28, 2012, 11:36 pm · #96

i want a euro cluster so bad now

VG30DETTOct 29, 2012, 12:54 am · #97

What's in place of the USDM clock?! That's wicked!!!

sunny1600Oct 29, 2012, 3:33 am · #98

I doubt it is an USDM clock since this is an EUDM car. In place of the clock there is a Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband datalogging system.

cutter67Oct 29, 2012, 6:20 am · #99

i think i am going to hire a couple of Russian hitmen to take this car and ship it over here.

there is no way there was 4000 of these cars built

my dream s12

VG30DETTOct 29, 2012, 8:49 am · #100
sunny1600 on 03:33:05 AM / 29-Oct-12I doubt it is an USDM clock since this is an EUDM car. In place of the clock there is a Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband datalogging system.
That's what I meant, as it's in place of where the clock is on USDM cars lol. Looks factory in there.