Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

SE RezErection!!!

Started by DirtyGaze · Jun 8, 2011 · 76postsSMF 2010–26

Wolf DilworthJul 4, 2011, 2:23 pm · #51

Fifty pounds ain't squat.  I found a copy of the article that I first read back when you would have been playing "horsey" on your daddy's back.  Basically they took a 7000 lbs Caddy and shaved over half of the weight off (4000 lbs) and only gained four (slightly less than) seconds in the quarter mile and an increase of just 20mph in the trap speed.  Woo Hoo!

Humorous read though.

The .jpgs read from the bottom up.
http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2666

seishukuJul 4, 2011, 3:00 pm · #52

Who said anything about drag racing?

CamInHeadJul 4, 2011, 4:01 pm · #53

4 seconds onthe quarter is a pretty decent improvement no ?
I agree "dual duty" motors rarely work though :)

DirtyGazeJul 4, 2011, 5:19 pm · #54

To clear up confusion, this car build means more to me than just a car build.  My mother has cancer and has had it for 4 years now.  Doctors told her recently that she has no more than 2 years if they keep her on heavy meds, but she will die.  My mom has asked that they help her live out 1 more year comfortably and her wish was to see me finish a project that I start.  Im not new to S chassis's but its been about 4 years since Ive last played with cars (WoW was a major factor in my life for a minute...kinda used it to escape the reality I guess).  I never finished one of those cars, and Im taking the opportunity to do everything Ive ever wanted to do to a car to this car. 

This car will be dailyd if need be, but its more or less the fun car.  I wont be installing full interior, I only want the APPEARANCE of full interior.  The trim peices that Im leaving dont weigh much, which is fine.  As for the sound deadening, I know removing it will increase heat in the cabin and sound...but I enjoy the sound.  I enjoy the mechanical feel and sounds of car. 

Theres really only 1 main goal for this car - CLEAN!  Im looking to make a car that can inspire others.  A car that I can be proud to call my own.  A car that is everything I love and nothing I dont.  Im not trying to reinvent the S12, Im just looking to make a damn fine example of one.

Wolf DilworthJul 4, 2011, 10:38 pm · #55

That is cool DG, I hope you can complete your project on schedule.  It will be quite a trip.  Mine took nearly a year but I was not rushing and actually I still need a good paint job...  But as many car enthusiasts know, you never really finish the project, there is always some tweaking and fidgeting.

I hope the best for your mom.  I lost my older brother several years ago to a whole cluster of tumors in the brain, inoperable, but thankfully rapid and relatively painless.

DirtyGazeJul 5, 2011, 6:10 pm · #56
Wolf Dilworth on 10:38:50 PM / 04-Jul-11
That is cool DG, I hope you can complete your project on schedule.  It will be quite a trip.  Mine took nearly a year but I was not rushing and actually I still need a good paint job...  But as many car enthusiasts know, you never really finish the project, there is always some tweaking and fidgeting.

I hope the best for your mom.  I lost my older brother several years ago to a whole cluster of tumors in the brain, inoperable, but thankfully rapid and relatively painless.

Thanks for the kind words, and Im sorry to hear about your brother. 

"But as many car enthusiasts know, you never really finish the project, there is always some tweaking and fidgeting."  Truer words have never been spoken, lol.

I dont want my thread to have any negative feelings from it so Im going to get back on track.  Yesterday, I was feeling a little under the weather and no amount rest or food could get me in the garage before 7pm (it was bloody hot yesterday).  I got a bit more of the sound deadening out, but the dry ice melted too quick to get it all, plus i have some hard to reach places still to go.  Im a lazy bastard and havenââ,¬â,,¢t taken out the pedals yet so anyone know of a good way to get the crap behind the pedals?  With...*ahem*...without taking out the pedals?  Previous homeowner left half a bottle of paint thinner that Ill be trying out tonight per Tommys advice
tommy on 08:23:29 AM / 04-Jul-11
Just use a scrapper and finish up with varsol or any other thinner, that's what I did

(Ive also researched this subject quite a bit and paint thinner, torchs, and acetone seem to be among the top picks to get the remaining crap out.)

Hopefully more exciting updates soon!
tommyJul 5, 2011, 6:31 pm · #57

Acetone will eat right through the paint way faster than varsol, so be quick with it, and wear glove, that shit is crazy toxic, but it works sooo well


Post Merge: 06:32:56 PM / 05-Jul-11

oh yeah, a wire wheel on an angle grinder will get the little bits and pieces everywhere really fast, makes a nice mess afterward that you have to vaccum, but that's how I did the finishing before prepping for paint
rednucleusJul 5, 2011, 10:58 pm · #58

I think your bug is a Giant Water Beetle (google for some cool videos). They will freak you out even if you're sober! By the way, they have a nasty bite too!

DirtyGazeJul 5, 2011, 11:19 pm · #59

Awesome!  Its good to know I didnt act like a bitch for no reason then, lol.  I actually found this pic of the bug recently.
posted image
If you cant tell, thats him stuck on a Dodge Neon Floor Mat...why?  Cuz thats how I killed it.  Threw a mat on him and stepped on him (I was still really hig...uhh...drunk)

ProlowtoneJul 6, 2011, 12:44 am · #60

Lol Nice. Keep up the work dude. Im sure you will succeed in completing you project... till you realize this or that can be tweaked or upgraded....

DeezusSep 7, 2011, 2:47 am · #61

Meet the Flockers

DirtyGazeSep 14, 2011, 11:24 am · #62

The past couple weeks have been stressful and for a while I thought I was going to have to get rid of the hatch.  Luckily thats no longer the case and now were moving somewhere new by Oct 1st.  Ill now have my own personal garage/shed to store my car, parts, and tools which im thoroughly excited about. 

For now though, it means I need to throw as much of the parts in the car as I can to help the move. 

Which means -
posted image

MaxpowSep 14, 2011, 5:31 pm · #63

Yay.


Post Merge: 08:47:40 AM / 15-Sep-11

KÃÆ'Ã,¶nig - Lightning Black       14 x 6.5       Gloss Black W/ Machined Lip       N/A       Call for a local dealer
                        
KÃÆ'Ã,¶nig - Lightning Black       15 x 7       Gloss Black W/ Machined Lip       N/A       Call for a local dealer
                        
KÃÆ'Ã,¶nig - Lightning Black       16 x 7       Gloss Black W/ Machined Lip       N/A       Call for a local dealer
                        
KÃÆ'Ã,¶nig - Lightning Black       17 x 7       Gloss Black W/ Machined Lip       N/A       Call for a local dealer
                        
KÃÆ'Ã,¶nig - Lightning Black       18 x 8       Gloss Black W/ Machined Lip       N/A       Call for a local dealer
                        
KÃÆ'Ã,¶nig - Lightning Black       18 x 9.5       Gloss Black W/ Machined Lip       N/A       Call for a local dealer

Post Merge: 10:47:53 AM / 15-Sep-11

They have lots of sizes.
DirtyGazeSep 17, 2011, 1:26 am · #64

Lol for sure..dont know yet though, funds are tight.

For the last couple weeks Ive been playing with the door panels trying to figure out a way to match them to the dash but make them unique.

These are the door panels how I got them

posted image

The pics dark, but its a blue door panel

posted image

This is how they look now

posted image

posted image

posted image

posted image

ArroSep 17, 2011, 4:42 pm · #65

Not sure what I think about the zigzag but the colors came out nicely.

Wolf DilworthSep 17, 2011, 10:49 pm · #66

Mid 80's, I just barfed all over my keyboard.  But hey you have to drive it not me.  LOL

I am with Jason, everything but the zag.

DeezusSep 18, 2011, 8:38 am · #67

reminds me of like cheap 90s snowboards sold at walmart

DirtyGazeSep 19, 2011, 12:36 pm · #68

Lmao, haters gonna hate.

I dont give a fuck, I think it looks legit and adds some color and flair to the inside of the car.

posted image

posted image

posted image

ArroSep 19, 2011, 2:21 pm · #69

I'm not hatin, I said I wasn't sure, and I'm still not... but again, you did a great job with the application of the colors and texture, what is that texture stuff you added on the bottom half? Looks like you did it to the center console, too. I kinda like that.

Goin carpetless and rhino lined on the floor, eh?


Post Merge: 02:22:14 PM / 19-Sep-11

Not sure about that stuff put on the dash tho... better than cracked and rough.
DirtyGazeSep 19, 2011, 6:44 pm · #70
Arro on 02:21:13 PM / 19-Sep-11
I'm not hatin, I said I wasn't sure, and I'm still not... but again, you did a great job with the application of the colors and texture, what is that texture stuff you added on the bottom half? Looks like you did it to the center console, too. I kinda like that.

Goin carpetless and rhino lined on the floor, eh?

Its flocking..and the whole interior has been done now.  Full dash, center console, glove box, bottoms of the door panels.  Flocking is basically a "do-it-yourself" cheap suede kit and Im thrilled with the results. 

The goal with the interior was to make something unique and leave nothing untouched while keeping costs down.  And yes, I used truck bed liner on the floor and painted around it...not perfectly, theres over spray here and there, but over all I like it.

NEED ENGINE!!!
Colonel GustardSep 19, 2011, 6:49 pm · #71

you needs VG powa!!!

ArroSep 19, 2011, 7:23 pm · #72
DirtyGaze on 06:44:40 PM / 19-Sep-11
Its flocking..and the whole interior has been done now.  Full dash, center console, glove box, bottoms of the door panels.  Flocking is basically a "do-it-yourself" cheap suede kit and Im thrilled with the results. 

The goal with the interior was to make something unique and leave nothing untouched while keeping costs down.  And yes, I used truck bed liner on the floor and painted around it...not perfectly, theres over spray here and there, but over all I like it.

NEED ENGINE!!!

Well flocking A', can you show us some more close-ups?

Post Merge: 07:25:02 PM / 19-Sep-11

Be sure to set your camera to its macro settings! Look for an icon of a flower.
DirtyGazeSep 19, 2011, 8:24 pm · #73

Yea the cameras I have currently suck...I destroyed a 12 MP Camera while burning out the subframe bushings, lol.

Ill try to get better shots for you guys

DirtyGazeOct 28, 2011, 6:54 pm · #74

Got drunk, peed on the tire...

Wow, I havent updated in a while...

Well, to all those that care, the project is on hold for a second.  Im currently playing with my notch trying to make it one of the most sexy S12's to ever grace to the lands and a lot of the parts from this car are going on that...eventually.

Its complicated okay?

DatsmoZNov 10, 2011, 1:24 am · #75
DirtyGaze on 06:54:28 PM / 28-Oct-11
Got drunk, peed on the tire...

Wow, I havent updated in a while...

Well, to all those that care, the project is on hold for a second.  Im currently playing with my notch trying to make it one of the most sexy S12's to ever grace to the lands and a lot of the parts from this car are going on that...eventually.

Its complicated okay? 

Hey good luck man! If you need anything, just ask! :)
SlickS12Nov 10, 2011, 10:08 am · #76
DirtyGaze on 06:54:28 PM / 28-Oct-11
Got drunk, peed on the tire...

Wow, I havent updated in a while...

Well, to all those that care, the project is on hold for a second.  Im currently playing with my notch trying to make it one of the most sexy S12's to ever grace to the lands and a lot of the parts from this car are going on that...eventually.

Its complicated okay? 

That just got really complicated, two women at a time is always a juggle