Browse › Community ›Lounge

Countdown, one month. Road trip.

Started by Jay · Apr 2, 2013 · 117postsSMF 2010–26

SchizophrenicMCApr 7, 2013, 3:18 am · #51
sideways_s12 on 02:37:40 AM / 07-Apr-13cool No pork tho we don't eat pork...
Aw, hell naw. You did not just go there.

It's literally not barbecue without pork.
WonderingravenApr 7, 2013, 3:28 am · #52

No worries, I'll bring alot of "BACON" wrapped chicken.
J/K

sideways_s12Apr 7, 2013, 3:30 am · #53

LOL it wont get cooked lol the wife wont even touch it....and shes the cook

SchizophrenicMCApr 7, 2013, 3:49 am · #54

Nigga, dis a cookout. You's supposed to be doin' the cookin'. Runnin' the grill's a man's job.

With that said, don't call it a barbecue. Barbecue's when you cook meat low and slow for a number of hours until you have briskets and pork so tender it actually does melt in your mouth. You don't barbecue on a grill, and you don't grill your barbecue. Unless the wife's putting the meat in the smoker at 8am and taking it out at 6 to serve, you're doing a cookout. ;)

Even still, pork is required. Steak and pork are required fare when this many men gather together.

WonderingravenApr 7, 2013, 12:02 pm · #55

We are men, marry men..

turbo-s12Apr 7, 2013, 1:01 pm · #56

Why dont you eat pork?

sideways_s12Apr 7, 2013, 6:03 pm · #57

Alergic (sp?)

SchizophrenicMCApr 7, 2013, 10:11 pm · #58

How does one allergic to pork?

sideways_s12Apr 7, 2013, 10:13 pm · #59

by getting sick everytime you eat it no matter who cooks it...

JayApr 8, 2013, 12:31 am · #60
Ju_S12_Turbo on 10:14:22 PM / 06-Apr-13 Sorry jay for thread jacking lol, 

NP, all in good fun.

Little update. I might actually be doing this whole trip on a motorcycle. Maybe. Debating and seeing if the logistics work out.

SchizophrenicMC on 03:49:53 AM / 07-Apr-13Steak and pork are required fare when this many men gather together.
At the risk of budding a bromance. Man meat is required when this many men gather together.
JayApr 24, 2013, 11:46 pm · #61

DAMNIT!

One week to go, Headed out to test the GoPro with the Protune settings, and fucking lost it.

DAMNIT!

Another one on it's way.... One week until blastoff!!!

SchizophrenicMCApr 25, 2013, 12:58 pm · #62

With eagerness, we await!

rednucleusApr 25, 2013, 2:12 pm · #63

Don't forget to visit the great Pacific NW!!

JayApr 27, 2013, 2:06 am · #64

I am! Currently looking for a place to stay and someone to show me around in Seattle.

In other updates. New box came in. Installed. Good sound with a spare tire? FTW.
Transmission and diff fluid changed. Redline FTW
Engine oil changed. VR1 FTW.
Roofrack installed. Just in case. Ya never know.

Classes are done. Just one final and one term paper holding me back. 5 days until launch!

posted image
posted image

posted image

Took a stroll to test out the stereo. I may hit up Miami, just to prove a point :D
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

SchizophrenicMCApr 27, 2013, 9:45 am · #65

How can there still be snow in almost May? Egad!

rednucleusApr 27, 2013, 12:47 pm · #66

Any approximate dates for Seattle area arrival yet?

night_s12Apr 27, 2013, 5:59 pm · #67

godspeed my friend. if you happen to wander into southern illinois on your way to a destination id like to actually meet you in person for once lol

JayApr 28, 2013, 8:19 pm · #68
SchizophrenicMC on 09:45:09 AM / 27-Apr-13How can there still be snow in almost May? Egad!

Perspective. Now that it's 3-4 feet lower than it once was because it has melted. I'm 5'6"posted image

rednucleus on 12:47:18 PM / 27-Apr-13Any approximate dates for Seattle area arrival yet?
Nope. Lol.
rednucleusApr 28, 2013, 8:27 pm · #69

There's Jay, King of the Great White North lol!

SchizophrenicMCApr 28, 2013, 10:28 pm · #70

And people think I'm silly for liking places where air conditioners are more pertinent than show shovels.

JayApr 28, 2013, 10:49 pm · #71

Alright kids. Current Itinerary.

Appleton Wi: May 1-2
Madison Wi: May 2-3
Wausau Wi: May 3-4
Eau Claire Wi: May 4-5
Sioux Falls SD: May 5-6
Fort Collins Co: May 6-13
Blackfoot Id: May 13-14
Seattle WA: May 14-15

There we have it so far!

silvertonMay 1, 2013, 12:59 pm · #72

Quite the itinerary, I wish you luck on your travels!  Maybe I'll get a chance to meet you when you're in the neighborhood.

iceagegMay 1, 2013, 3:42 pm · #73

Looks like a nice long stop in CO.  Plenty of time to get snowed on here too.  Never sticks long, but there's a good chance you'll get it.

seishukuMay 1, 2013, 8:17 pm · #74

What am I, chopped liver? :P

SchizophrenicMCMay 1, 2013, 8:57 pm · #75

Godspeed Jay. We eagerly await your safe arrival in the Lone Star state.

EternalSwapMay 3, 2013, 12:34 am · #76

Jay, shoot me a call or text if you're in the area. [phone removed]

JayMay 8, 2013, 5:43 pm · #77

Well, the trip has begun and I'm well on my way around the country. Still have minimal internet (just my phone). So here's some phone Pictures. A better update will come just as soon as I can, which is when I have internet without a data cap.

Starting in calumet. Still snowy
posted image

posted image

Friend in Appleton decided to throw a mask on. Twas a fun night.
posted image

Then my phone skips ahead a little bit.

But anyways, we'll get back to the times inbetween later when I can upload the DSLR pictures.

Corn palace
posted image

Entrance to the badlands
posted image

Parked in front of wall drug. No idea what is so fascinating about this place.
posted image

This is a legitimate "something isn't right. My steering isn't as sweet as is was before"

But it fixed itself *shrug*

Mount rushmore!
posted image

Sunset in Wyoming
posted image

Now resting in Fort Collins for a bit.
posted image

More to come!

SchizophrenicMCMay 8, 2013, 6:05 pm · #78

Glad to see the trip is progressing smoothly!

JayMay 10, 2013, 11:28 am · #79

Real update time! (Copied from R3V)

May 1st. Leaving Houghton Mi. The Lift bridge over the Portage Canal connecting the Keweenaw and the Mainland.
posted image

Her name is Mary. She was the first person to Draw on my Hood. On my way out of town I stopped at a place called Ron's Body Shop, they heard what I was doing, and pulled my core support out just enough to get my headlights to line up and not have the drivers side point straight to the sky. Free of cost. Amazing people.

She felt it necessary to fill in the blue on the Roundel. :)
posted image

Driving down 41, I saw this painted on the rocks. Figured it was a great time to take a picture of someone else's bucket list, while completing something of my own. Dre, wherever you are.  :up:
posted image

Upper Michigan has trees. Lots of trees.
posted image

BBBUUUTTTT! With the season lasting so long. Most of them are sticks
posted image

Nearing Appleton Wi.
posted image

Leaving Eau Claire Wi, Got stuck waiting for a Marathon to be completed. Just snapped a picture. Wish I had my camera ready when the Police officer signed my hood while waiting in the middle of the road. That was neat.
posted image

I never knew the Malt-o-meal Factory was in the middle of nowhere Minnesota (Northfield)
posted image

New Prague MN
posted image
posted image

Morton Mn. Kicking myself for not stopping for that free Taco Buffet.
posted image
posted image

Longest train I've ever seen. Still in MN.
posted image

There's three things I'm taking away from driving the MN. Lot's of farms. Lots of painted wall muriel's, and more (actually) dead possums than you can imagine.

Then we go through SD.

Giant statue off the Highway
posted image

More Corn Palace
posted image

Downtown Mitchell SD
posted image

Crossing the Missori River on 90
posted image
posted image

The rolling great plains. On 90
posted image

This picture perfectly describes the meaning of "The great plains"
posted image

BADLANDS! Simply gorgeous.
posted image
posted image
posted imageposted image
posted image
posted image

Wall Drug, Wall SD. Seriously, this place is strange. There's signs EVERYWHERE in SD to go to this place. Decided to see what the hell was up with it. Did not understand. Nonetheless, I sent a postcard from the Wall post office
posted image

Headed towards Mount rushmore. MOUNTAINS!
posted image

First Tunnel of the trip
posted image

Downtown Keystone SD
posted image

Driving up to Mount Rushmore
posted image

posted image
posted image

Just a beautiful day for a drive.
posted image

posted image
posted image

Helicopter tours right off the road.
posted image

Driving on 16, simply amazing road to drive on. Lots of switchbacks, up and down, and lots of scenery. If you had a ball joint fail on this road, you'd die. Easy.

posted image

Welcome to Wyoming!
posted image

It's pretty boring between Newcastle and Lusk.
posted image

Until a random big ass chunk of broken earth appears.
posted image

Bigger Mountains coming into View
posted image

More updates to come!

posted image

(Also, that really low hanging exhaust is now fixed. A very nice SD State trooper had a concern about it, pulled me over,and gave me a courtesy warning. First thing I fixed when I got to Fort Collins.)

GunMetalGrey;3724703Hope the headlights are helping out! Thanks for dropping in!
Indeed they are. But I'm getting flashed by people EVERYWHERE!

Farbin Kaiber;3723498Sounds like you are semi nearby, hit me up, I'm going away for a few days next week and I don't want to miss ya.
Will do. I'm leaving Fort Collins on Tuesday or Wed if that helps.

z31maniac;3723292Road trip across the country, and you don't have any of Route 66 on your way?

For shame!

Gotta save stuff for the future ;)

fronton;3722521nice progress, I like the rushmore pic. May I suggest you toss you roof rack in the trunk to get better MPG and cut down on a ton of wind noise? If so, I hereby suggest it.

I might. I did find it to be a great place to grab and hold on to while driving though. The lack of an armrest is certainly popping it's head.
iceagegMay 10, 2013, 12:13 pm · #80

If you make it down to Denver at all in the next few days let me know.  Maybe we can meet for lunch or something.  Always welcome to check out the shop.  Have a supercharged Diamond DA-40, one supercharged Cirrus SR-22 and a T-6 in the hangar right now.

sam31183May 10, 2013, 11:37 pm · #81

seems like your making crazy good progress with little to no hiccups! way to go man!

Brandon GMay 11, 2013, 1:27 am · #82

Wow, seems like quite the trip, too bad there aren't many of us here in Canada. I'm actually only about 3 hrs across the border from Seattle in Surrey, BC.

SchizophrenicMCMay 11, 2013, 12:48 pm · #83

Actually, like half the site is in Canada, most of whom being in Surrey, BC. But this isn't the Candian roadtrip, this is the AMERICAN roadtrip.

FUCK YEAH MURICA!

JayMay 19, 2013, 2:36 pm · #84

Well guys. Time for an update!
Fort collins was an amazing town. I WILL live there someday.

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you lambo and Farbin. Another time!

So, anyways. We proceed forward!
DRIVE HIGHWAY 14! From canyon switchbacks, to the top of the earth, then blasting down the plateau.

It's pretty here.
posted image
posted image
posted image

First "Tunnel" Of the trip
posted image

Leaving the canyon
posted image

Forging ahead
posted image

Upwards. She was NOT too enthused about this. This was a learning experience on how to drive in high altitude.
posted image
posted image

But it came back down. Flat ground, and a 75 MPH speed limit.
So I chased the sunset
posted image

Muddy Gap junction WY. Where you get gouged on the price of gas like no other.
posted image

Then nothing but the stars heading up 287 in WY There wasn't a soul in sight while I took these pictures. Enjoying the darkness after the moon settled down, and the complete silence.

posted image

posted image

Camped out in Lander WY

Yep
posted image

So, continuing up 287.
posted image
posted image
posted image

Then big things pop out of the earth
posted image
posted image

And the road winds
posted image
posted image

posted image

Found more of the rockies!

posted image

Entering Grand Teton National park
posted image

Where the birds pose in line. And get real close waiting for you to drop some food. But you don't, because race car.
posted image
posted image

And then it gets REAL pretty. So your car, complete with bruises and scars, pose even more with beautiful backdrops.

posted image
posted image
posted image

And the survivor image.
posted image

I lost some more pictures. I lost pikes peak. Then I lost the beginning of yellowstone. That card is now retired.

But then I got to old faithful
posted image
posted image

Climbed the side of a hill because...
posted image
posted image

A nice couple from Germany was sightseeing and they were genuinely scared of bears! They didn't want to go out into the wilderness without someone that knew about them. I did and know how to deal with bears, so I took them up!

posted image

Hehehe. Beaver
posted image

Bison. Also, anyone with an Mtech 1. Do you understand when you know it's really easy to accidentally hit the horn in the worst possible situations?
Don't do it in front of bison. They don't like it. And you have to haul ass out of there because they want to charge.
posted image
posted image

Then you LEAVE Yellowstone, and you still have to worry.
posted image

Mountains behind me.
posted image

Tonight, I slept at a rest stop just outside of Superior Montana.

And plugged along towards Seattle.

posted image

And the corner light is barely hanging on for dear life. I have to put it back in it's home every 4 or 500 miles.

posted image

Taking a wrong turn in ID and finding something neat.
posted image

Then something SUPER neat. An abandoned mine. From what I can gather Silver and Lead.
posted image
posted image
posted image

Then I kept going.
posted image

and followed the power lines. Sat by a river and pondered.
posted image

Well that's a problem....
posted image

That soon resolved itself. E30's like to do that.

I got to Coeur D'alene
posted image

posted image

Downtown
posted image

posted image
posted image

Took US2 the whole way to seattle. HIGHLY recommended road to drive.
posted image
Rolling hills and pretty colors
posted image

To a road I got a kick out of.
posted image

Coulee Dam
posted image

Got a selfie in there
posted image

Looking for a place to rest
posted image

Which ended up being Dry falls. Look it up.
posted image

posted image

posted image

And this place had a FANTASTIC hot dog.
posted image

Dry falls state park
posted image

posted image

posted image
posted image

Great rest. But this place has the ANGRIEST zombie mosquito horde you'd ever deal with. They were seriously aggressive creatures.
posted image

More Washington. This state is so diverse.
posted image

Graffitti rocks off of US2
posted image

posted image

Then, out of nowhere in Leavenworth WA pops up little freakin bavaria!
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

And a crowd forms
posted image

Read the sign.
posted image

posted image
posted image

Moving on. BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY
posted image

Most expensive speed limit sign ever?
posted image

Practically in the clouds
posted image

Then. YAY SEATTLE!
Pike place
posted image
posted image

Gum wall
posted image

A sign I approve of.
posted image

Yay coffee!
posted image

AAAannnd the first legit "Something really may be a huge problem" noise happened. As it turned out, my passenger side parking brake decided to lose the pins connecting it to the backing plate while going down the highway.

Luckly, I was able to bend metal back into place, reinstall, and all is well. That made a HORRENDOUS noise going down the road at 60.

posted image
posted image
posted image
All fixed up. And off to long beach WA in a couple moments to meet up with Sam!

I stayed here in the Seattle area with Rednucleus. Great guy. Great family. They are good people.

Rednucleus, you'll read this after I'm gone. Many thanks again good sir. Your family was more the gracious and it is EXTREMELY appreciated. Again, thank you for everything!

Jay out.

SchizophrenicMCMay 19, 2013, 3:19 pm · #85

Very cool. Next stop: SoCal I presume?

JayMay 19, 2013, 3:35 pm · #86

Sams, then San Fran, Then LA/San Diego.

EternalSwapMay 19, 2013, 5:53 pm · #87

SAN DIEGO MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

sideways_s12May 19, 2013, 8:21 pm · #88

WA is beautiful I need to move there...

SchizophrenicMCMay 19, 2013, 9:37 pm · #89
sideways_s12 on 08:21:56 PM / 19-May-13WA is beautiful I need to move there...
QFT

PacNW so much.
sideways_s12May 19, 2013, 10:32 pm · #90
:thumbsup:
rednucleusMay 20, 2013, 12:14 am · #91

Thanks for visiting Jay! It was great to meet another club member face to face and we enjoyed your time here, though too short. Hope you make it back out this way again. Your pics are great and will be great memories when you're and Old Guy like Cutter & Cajun!!
Red & family

sam31183May 20, 2013, 1:00 am · #92

thanks red for the beer and the cheesecake.

JayMay 20, 2013, 1:09 am · #93

Post edited because it does show the full post. Just not on certain android browsers, apparently.

sideways_s12May 20, 2013, 2:22 am · #94

whats the history behind the gum wall like how did that come about?

rednucleusMay 20, 2013, 10:27 am · #95
sam31183 on 01:00:44 AM / 20-May-13thanks red for the beer and the cheesecake.
Hope you like the Hopptopia. Seasonally they take that beer and dry hop it for sale only at Scuttlebutts - very nice. You need to come up for a visit and try some.  I will make sure we change Jay's sheets before you get here.
Post Merge
sideways_s12 on 02:22:03 AM / 20-May-13whats the history behind the gum wall like how did that come about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gum_Wall
If you lick it, you won't need any vaccines for the rest of your life.
sideways_s12May 20, 2013, 6:27 pm · #96

Yeah because you'll die within a day hahaha!

sam31183May 20, 2013, 8:54 pm · #97

the hoptopia was good, a bit more malty and less hippy then some of the stuff I mostly drink, but I liked. I opened jay a bottle of widmer alchemy ale and he really liked. what part of Seattle do you live in red?

turbo-s12May 20, 2013, 9:10 pm · #98

red lives in marysville not seattle. and how did i not get to meet up with jay? red you were supposed to hit me up lol

rednucleusMay 20, 2013, 11:26 pm · #99

Sorry Turbo, whirlwind visit and I apparently lost your number. Was looking for it Sat when he was headed to Seattle. Next time thru we will have to plan big BBQ or trip to Scuttlebutts. 
Sam - your beers tend to be higher hops/ibu's than hoptopia? - that's for me!! BTW have you ever eaten a hops pellet??  We are 45 min north of Seattle, 10 min off I-5

sam31183May 21, 2013, 12:20 am · #100

one of my favorite beers is ninkasis tricerahops double IPA. also I have family up in Marysville! I haven't visited them in a long time. my grandma had some bad dementia. :( one of my uncle's was working at a composite factory near the railroad tracks on the way to Smokey point. I think they were making parts for Boeing.