Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

84 S12 KA-T Drift Debauchery Extravaganza

Started by Modulus Two · Feb 7, 2015 · 64postsSMF 2010–26

Modulus TwoMay 6, 2015, 3:15 pm · #51

Or was it way ahead of his time!?

Mind blown!

8SixS12May 6, 2015, 4:29 pm · #52

When my car was on the road, I use to get "nice hachiroku" about once a week.  Look for my T-shirt. should go on sale this summer: NO, It's NOT a Hachiroku!!!!!

Modulus TwoMay 28, 2015, 11:45 am · #53

This should let you all know how much of a mechanical noob I am.

Over the past weekend, I attempted to put the clutch on my KA. I got the pressure plate out to see how it would fit against the flywheel and noticed there were no matching holes.  I didn't know that Automatics had Flex Plates instead of Flywheels...
I only realized this after I asked the Indy Drift Parts group if anyone had a spare Manual Flywheel. Much embarrassment.

I should have the flywheel this weekend. I just want to get this thing running, but I've got a feeling there's still a long way to go.

rednucleusMay 28, 2015, 12:21 pm · #54

Learn by doing and not afraid to admit your oops!! Good for you!

Modulus TwoJun 3, 2015, 11:44 am · #55

Got my flywheel over the weekend. Got it put on and started to put on the clutch.
Noticed another fucked up thing about Automatic Engines. The pilot bearing / busing adapter thingy on an auto KA is almost impossible to remove!
I'm using a bearing puller with a slide hammer and there is no way to get the prongs to grasp the bearing.
I've found some places that say use white bread and keep jamming it into the hole and use a dowel / bolt to get a hydraulic effect out of it that will push out the bearing. I might give it a try, otherwise, it's the dremel that I'll turn to and cut that bitch out.

Modulus TwoJun 15, 2015, 12:42 pm · #56

I haven't had any success getting the pilot bearing out of the crank yet. I tried using the puller with slide hammer and couldn't get a grip. Looking back, I should have tried drilling holes in the bearing to put the puller's prongs in.

I tried the bread method, both wet and dry. No luck.

I got some grinder bits for my Dremmel and tried to cut it in half, again, no luck. It just broke the 4 grinding bits. I'm starting to get desperate.

So I changed direction and tried to work on some things that I think I can get done in the mean time.

I got the bumper and front panels pulled and am attempting to drop the engine mount and cross member so I can change the mounts.
(unless there is an easier way to access the engine mount bolts)

The whole process just made me depressed because I got a real good look at how much of a rusty turd this thing is.

So, I'm in need of more advice.
1. Should I continue with this shell or scrap it?
2. If I continue, what is suggested I do about steering/suspension/breaks?
    a. Can someone help me source the parts (guessing S13 replacement)? How much is this going to cost?
  :reallysad: :reallysad: :reallysad: :reallysad: :reallysad: :reallysad:

I think iggy said before "Rusty S12's make great drift cars"
I was just hoping I could get this damn thing running by now. Building the car is about the journey, not the destination, right?

Photo coming soon
Photo coming soon
Photo coming soon

rednucleusJun 15, 2015, 4:05 pm · #57

How about this for the bearing
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEgQtwIwAGoVChMIruue9cqSxgIVxzOICh2S7ggh&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D28bSl4r1kwQ&ei=1Dt_Va4xx-egBJLdo4gC&usg=AFQjCNHxXYmp5h2p0shPHQec8OJA-fu_Zw
I have never done this but looks like the keys are a tight fitting bolt and really thick material. there's another video where they use caulking paste.

IggyEGuanaJun 21, 2015, 10:10 pm · #58

I did it with axle grease and a bolt that i wrapped some electrical tape around to make a snug fit

Modulus TwoJun 22, 2015, 11:40 am · #59

Wish I had more time and money to work on this car. (don't we all).
Some of the good news, I had someone here in the indy drifting community reach out to me. A fellow S12 owner.
He's done the KA swap and S13 suspension  and steering conversions. He's offered to give me some help with my ride.

If only my shell were as mint and clean as his.
posted image

posted image

Modulus TwoJun 28, 2015, 2:17 pm · #60

Well, I'm at the point where I'm about to say, "Fuck the KA..."
I haven't been able to get the pilot bearing out so I resorted to using a tungsten carbide bit to cut it out.
I royally screwed the pooch and cut the crank.  I'm going to have to replace the crank if this engine is going to be worth the dick now.

I guess it's time to do a complete tear down and get a replacement crankshaft.  FML.
Or, I could just sell off a complete S14 KA setup and just go for the LS setup.

Modulus TwoNov 28, 2015, 2:09 pm · #61

I'm still alive and so is my build. I haven't touched it in forever, but I've finally gotten some time and money to put into it.
So, what's been done to it in the past 3+ months? I FINALLY got the CA engine mounts off the engine cross member. I pulled off the steering rack and started taking off the piping to make it a manual conversion.

Then 2 days ago, I saw a deal for a complete KA setup for $500.
I got a complete running engine, harness, ecu + more for $350, which is a much better deal than I got on the first engine I bought.

Right now, I'm working on putting back together the steering rack, getting it mounted, putting the cross member back in, and maybe drop in the new engine tonight. sounds like a lot of work, but I'm hungry to get this car completed.
Maybe some pictures to come.

Modulus TwoDec 17, 2015, 9:59 am · #62

"New" parts are in! I think I can have this engine running by the end of the week!  (Overly optimistic)

I mated a Tranny...
Photo coming soon

Set of S13 front brakes and rotors.  $30
Photo coming soon

Set of S13 front knucks and hubs. $50
Photo coming soon

Set of new S13 front LCAs from Rock Auto, $35 ea.
Photo coming soon

Now, I'm just looking for some cheap S13 coilovers so I can get this car rolling to the metal shop to do some frame repair work.

Modulus TwoFeb 24, 2016, 1:47 pm · #63

I finally got off my ass and started putting things together and on the car.

Steering is complete again. Just need to source some front coilovers.

Photo coming soon

Photo coming soon

Photo coming soon

Photo coming soon

She's a dirty bitch, but she's mine.
Photo coming soon

Photo coming soon

I've got the S13 brake lines ready to put on and I've got a friend, who is a fellow S12 owner and KA converter, coming over on Saturday to help with wiring and engine install.
If all things go according to plan, I could have a running vehicle by the weeks end!

Cajun1guyFeb 24, 2016, 2:10 pm · #64

Looking great! Get 'er done!