Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Remote mount turbo V6 project

Started by Joel07 · Apr 14, 2005 · 686postsSMF 2010–26vBulletin 2004–05

mcMay 2, 2012, 9:23 pm · #551

...i picked up a AEM wideband guage and installed it on the steering column....pretty nice to have one finally...14psi gets 11.6ish afr.

mcMay 8, 2012, 12:04 pm · #552
posted image
ArroMay 8, 2012, 6:21 pm · #553
mc on 09:23:20 PM / 02-May-12...i picked up a AEM wideband guage and installed it on the steering column....pretty nice to have one finally...14psi gets 11.6ish afr.

That's a tad rich, isn't it?
mcMay 9, 2012, 10:22 am · #554

i thought it would be worse using the BEGI and meth injection?...it pulls really strong..i'll try to get a video of all the guages under boost.

ArroMay 9, 2012, 2:17 pm · #555

Yeah I think 14.7 s stoich and safe IMO is 14, maybe 13.5. But now you're talking meth injection, so... ?

Slideways87PandaJul 9, 2012, 9:46 pm · #556

it must have taken me 2 hours to read this build thread but was well worth it. that is one hell of a boosted SE you have there

JayJul 10, 2012, 2:31 am · #557
Arro on 02:17:32 PM / 09-May-12Yeah I think 14.7 s stoich and safe IMO is 14, maybe 13.5. But now you're talking meth injection, so... ?


No. Boosted car. Safe for him would be between 11 and 12 at WOT.

Sure you could tune closer to stoich for more power, but after 12 you start to get higher EGT's because you're using less fuel to quench the burn.

I'd consider 11.6 a very safe area under WOT and full load..
mcJul 11, 2012, 7:18 am · #558
Slideways87Panda on 09:46:52 PM / 09-Jul-12it must have taken me 2 hours to read this build thread but was well worth it. that is one hell of a boosted SE you have there

...Thanks...build your own,its well worth it.
s12richOct 9, 2012, 10:18 pm · #559

mike you inspire me

mcMay 6, 2013, 8:53 pm · #560

Cancer returned in the passenger rear quarter...a little worse than the last time...cut it out and rebuilt it with some epoxy and bondo...it should hold up this time...posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
Post Merge


posted image
Post Merge
posted image
mcMay 22, 2013, 1:37 pm · #561

...I finally got around to painting these rims..i decided to stick with Duplicolor Silver and clear..turned out better than I would have thought....before and after...
posted image
posted image

sideways_s12May 27, 2013, 2:15 am · #562

is there of vid of your car running I'm curious to know what it sounds like?

s12richMay 27, 2013, 11:30 am · #563

i can tell you first hand the thing is a beast

sideways_s12May 27, 2013, 6:05 pm · #564

lol doesn't help me I actually want to hear it

ArroMay 28, 2013, 4:48 pm · #565

yes there are vids I think somewhere in this thread.

MC, you should have a shop tack the wheel weights on the inside. Wheels look pretty! Your car is still my fav SE :thumbsup:

sideways_s12May 30, 2013, 3:51 am · #566

I figured but im to lazy to search through the thread its a long read...

mcMay 30, 2013, 6:48 am · #567

yeah, there are decent videos somewhere in here...i'll try and get something new.

sideways_s12May 31, 2013, 10:03 am · #568

Sweet

mcAug 7, 2013, 8:11 am · #569

stock fuel pump was starting to get sketchy under boost so ordered a Walbro pump...the factory lid wire connections are a weak point as the plastic insulators fail and the wire grounds out causing problems such as running constantly key on or off...I found this upgrade on z31Performance....drill out the factory connection and install these solid clamp down fittings....pretty nice as you can now pass through a heavier guage wire to the pump.
posted image

ArroAug 7, 2013, 3:29 pm · #570

Very cool... link to the Z31 wire info?

sideways_s12Aug 7, 2013, 4:34 pm · #571

nice!

mcAug 7, 2013, 7:09 pm · #572
http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?17026-Walbro-Installing-to-avoid-electrical-problems&highlight=FUEL+PUMP+CONNECTIONS
Post Merge
anyone adapt the factory fuel screen to a Walbro??   I test fitted the Walbro sock filter and it fits into the tank but I sort of think the stock is a better design..it seems it would be to much trouble as the Walbro is a narrower pump.
Post Merge
posted image
ArroAug 8, 2013, 1:30 pm · #573

Nobody has problems with the stock Walbro sock... I'd just run that.

mcAug 8, 2013, 4:43 pm · #574

KK...keep the sock on!...pump ready to be mounted once the epoxy dries.
posted image

s12richAug 9, 2013, 4:29 pm · #575

nice a 235 right?

mcAug 9, 2013, 6:45 pm · #576
s12rich on 04:29:08 PM / 09-Aug-13nice a 235 right?
Yeah Rich...this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walbro-GSS341-400-766-Kit-255lph-HP-240SX-S13-Fuel-Pump-Guaranteed-Genuine-/360440281906?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ebea3b32&vxp=mtr
Post Merge
...well the car broke down on its first test drive....hit boost and holy crap this pump jacks up the pressure on my guage...factory pump was maxed at 49 psi at 15-16 boost ... this Walbro was over 70psi and rising till the fuses blew and car rolled to a stop....it seems a 10amp fuse inline with the relay is too small.
mcDec 14, 2013, 1:28 pm · #577

Update....I figured out my Walbro issues by installing a proper sized 20 amp fuse....pump works great and I don't find it too loud as others have posted, but than again my exhaust and rear oil pump cover a lot of noise!!...I removed the SVO intercooler and just use a curved pipe now to feed the AFM...there was really no need to use the IC as the meth injection works excellent...a lot less under hood clutter makes tinkering easier.

mcDec 18, 2013, 4:07 pm · #578

..new tires arrived.
posted image

mcJan 16, 2014, 4:31 pm · #579
sideways_s12 on 06:05:17 PM / 27-May-13lol doesn't help me I actually want to hear it
...here you go!!!
http://s272.photobucket.com/user/dmc10132/media/Public/public%20-%20car/IMG_0534.mp4.html
s12richJan 16, 2014, 5:06 pm · #580

music to my ears  :cry2:

mcJan 17, 2014, 9:27 am · #581

LOL...my wife came out and screamed what the fukc are you doing???!!  just updating the build thread.

XortioNJan 17, 2014, 11:16 am · #582

haha! Nice sound and thx for the tip on that walbro. Gonna have to be doing the same in a few months :) :yay!:

mcJan 19, 2014, 9:51 am · #583
XortioN on 11:16:01 AM / 17-Jan-14haha! Nice sound and thx for the tip on that walbro. Gonna have to be doing the same in a few months :) :yay!:
...definitely upgrade the wire connections to the pump...cheap upgrade.
mcMar 22, 2014, 2:41 pm · #584

60 degrees in NY means it time for Spring cleaning or center driveshaft bushing repair....not to bad of a repair,
posted image
Post Merge


posted image
Post Merge
posted image
Post Merge
you'll need this cheap Harbor Freight bushing puller to pull the flange off and then again to pull the bushing off...very easy.posted image

Post Merge
posted image
sideways_s12Mar 22, 2014, 10:28 pm · #585

Nice work!

mcMar 23, 2014, 8:37 am · #586

thanks...still waiting on the replacement part to be delivered[I tried a new mail order place called Autohause, very good prices/free shipping]...I went on to remove the rear cross member to replace its  2 bushings with a poly  kit from Arcadian...I struggled getting the cross member out as the rear turbo pipes were in the way...the rear control arms were tight disengaging from the cross member..i definitely could of used some help getting it out but managed..i'm dreading on the reinstall!! LOL...I am sore all over today!!  I have poly bushings for the rear control arms but my stock stuff still looks great, not sure its worth the hassle burning out the bushings to reinstall the poly..these kits should of come with new metal center tubes so you don't have the hassle of reusing the old metal....I have rear wheel bearings to install as wel,l so I have to unbolt the control arms either way.posted image

Post Merge



Post Merge
posted image
Post Merge
posted image
Post Merge
...as others have posted, I used a air cutting disk , sawzall and a sharp small chisel, to very carefully cut through the metal outer bushing shel without damaging the c member..just cut it enough to weaken and the chisel does the rest...its pretty easy.
s12richMar 24, 2014, 5:16 pm · #587

nice work ... I didn't have any issues pulling the old bushings out ...I also had the new polys milled down more to try to get some of that rear camber out

mcMar 24, 2014, 7:24 pm · #588

thanks...today I used just about every Harbor Freight tool I own on the rear  pass control arm!!...impact gun to blast off the axle stub nut...3 jar puller to pop off the stub flange...20 ton press to extract stub axle....tomorrow i'll press in the new wheel bearings and paint it.
Post Merge


pressed off/on the outer rear wheel bearing today...getting it off was extra work because I had to press the wheel studs off so I could get the wrap around clamp to press the bearing out....I'm still rigging up a device to pressin  the inner bearing...I removed it by hammer and socket.posted image
mcMar 26, 2014, 1:18 pm · #589

...I started the removal process of the rear control arm bushings...its drill rubber,heat with Mapp gas and grab the inner metal bushing and it twists out with vise grips....then back to Mapp gas and burn out the old rubber while scrubbing out with wire brush....this sucks LOL.....one of four is almost done...I need to find a wire brush attachment for my drill to hone it out clean so the poly slides in easy.
Post Merge


posted image
Post Merge
found this in Harbor Freight this afternoon..they have mini wire brushes to fit on a drill chuck....I had to crunch it down some to fit the inner metal sleeve diameter but it works great once you get it going...passenger side bushings are done!!

Post Merge
posted image
mcMar 28, 2014, 11:30 am · #590
posted image
Post Merge
I used some VHT epoxy suspension paint to freshen up.posted image

Post Merge
posted image
mcMar 30, 2014, 1:56 pm · #591

...cross member reinstalled...differential rebolted to it.....poly cross member bushings are so hard its very difficult to get the retaining nuts to thread on.
posted image

mcMar 31, 2014, 9:38 pm · #592

...remounted the new center carrier bearing.
posted image
Post Merge


...replaced the upper rear brake hoses...of course the line snapped so I had to splice in a new section of tube...I never used a double flair tool before but it came out decent.
posted image
mcApr 4, 2014, 1:29 pm · #593

...I finished reassembling everything last nite ... excellent overall upgrade.. the rear half of car  feels attached now making it very responsive...I need to track down a rear sqeaking noise in reverse gear..and re=bleed the four brakes again as they still feel vague...and get another alignment.

mcApr 6, 2014, 8:38 am · #594

I found the FSM and retorqued every connection to spec in the rear suspension...I found the rear half section of driveshaft was making the creaking in reverse...it has some slight play in the sealed u=joint and it doesn't look like a serviceable part so i'll be pricing a shaft replacement...I soaked it in some wd40 and its quiet for now.....rebled the brakes and they felt great but on return test drive became very mushy...rechecked every connection and cant find a leak...I looked at the back of vacuum brake booster and its pretty wet and rusty but master cylinder is almost new....still searching.

sideways_s12Apr 7, 2014, 12:16 am · #595

Sounds like the booster may be your issue...

mcApr 8, 2014, 7:39 pm · #596

...while checking for brake leaks, I found the front pass side ball joint rocking/rattling around in its bore??  unreal,,,i pulled out the control arm and threw in a spare control arm...very easy job .

mcApr 12, 2014, 8:18 pm · #597

...I pulled out the brake booster today....I had to remove the drivers valve cover for clearance..which meant i had to remove the t'b and distrib..I decided it was a good time to overhaul the clutch master since I had access now...very simple part to rebuild.posted image

mcApr 13, 2014, 8:57 pm · #598

...mounted up the booster today and set the depth of the booster piston to the MC using paint ...its set perfect now.

posted image
Post Merge


posted image
mcApr 16, 2014, 12:33 pm · #599

...my brakes are excellent now...very fast to pull down the car speed..never have they been this good!!...and rebuilding the clutch master was a success, clutch pedal  feels great...did a oil change with Rotella T6 5w-40...here is a side by side of stock oil  filter and the monster I usually use...it takes a bit of practice to get the big one in her!!posted image

mcApr 22, 2014, 7:53 pm · #600

...swapped in a spare 87 turbo ecu instead of the 86 turbo...seems to respond much better overall.... I also  like that it has 5 separate ECU check modes instead of the two on the 86's....I ebay bought a PRW-2 to try out and see if helps.
Post Merge


posted image...drained out the trans fluid...the drain plug was seized in it pretty tight....the magnet had some collected wear.