Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Matt's S12

Started by seishuku · Aug 3, 2007 · 1232postsInvision 2005–09SMF 2010–26

JayDec 7, 2011, 9:10 pm · #951

I wish I had a waterjet. I have a penchent to make some crosshairs to smoke E30 ellipsoids. and sell them for 20 bucks a pair...
sheet metal cutting. It would be super fast.

seishukuDec 10, 2011, 11:19 pm · #952

(https://i.imgur.com/ghvVL3V.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/3Bz2e2Z.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/FevKDrl.jpg)
Just need to get two more bolts, I only had the two on hand. :lol:

All covered up.
(https://i.imgur.com/NZRCZLb.jpg)

Parked for the weekend.
(https://i.imgur.com/IAs1Cb9.jpg)

sideways_s12Dec 10, 2011, 11:39 pm · #953

you ever gonna paint that thing one solid color? lol

BattleFairyDec 11, 2011, 12:54 pm · #954

i wonder why your MS setup look so much less than my one :laugh:
(http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302459_2043345005191_1291320639_31802431_433443311_n.jpg)

seishukuDec 21, 2011, 6:38 pm · #955

Had some free time and a little scrap 3/8" rubber, so I made some new "generic style mud flaps"
(https://i.imgur.com/xPQfriG.jpg)
To replace the rigid plastic ones I have now.


Post Merge: 10:28:19 PM / 21-Dec-11
(https://i.imgur.com/uwnPojb.jpg)
Moar rally style! lolz

Need matching set for the front now.
ProlowtoneDec 22, 2011, 12:39 am · #956

Actually dont look to bad :D

seishukuDec 30, 2011, 11:37 pm · #957

So I'm going to try to do some more work on my turbo manifold.
(https://i.imgur.com/3znnSI1.jpg)

I modeled the tube intersections in 3D today and made a cutting template, since I don't have a way to do a rig for my band-saw.
So hopefully tomorrow I'll have some parts made up for the merge collector for a T3 flange.

(https://i.imgur.com/9fFDBBn.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/KKwnCx0.jpg)


Post Merge: 03:49:33 PM / 31-Dec-11
(https://i.imgur.com/F08DoXT.jpg)
There's 2 of 4... I forgot how much of a pain in the ass these are to make. :lol:
BattleFairyJan 1, 2012, 12:46 pm · #958

simpel question

why not buy an collector? LOL

seishukuJan 1, 2012, 12:53 pm · #959

Because I don't have $500 for one... Besides, I have the materials and tools to do it.

I_heart_VVLJan 1, 2012, 12:58 pm · #960

nice. what turbo are you going with?

seishukuJan 1, 2012, 1:45 pm · #961

Donno yet, something T3 more than likely.


Post Merge: 09:52:59 PM / 01-Jan-12
Hmm... It would seem that I can't quite get the cut that I want with my band-saw, at least not with the cutting guides that I made.
I might have to make two angled jigs, but it's not an easy set up on my saw.

Maybe I should just cut them on the mill at work, which might be a little easier set up and more consistent.

I also might have to buy a length of 1.5" tube, as I don't have quite as much material as I thought. :lol:

Post Merge: 12:05:37 AM / 02-Jan-12
I did another quick street tuning session, because I was getting a slight miss in the upper RPM range... Seems it was a little lean...
So it's wanting 107%+ injector duty... This thing keeps wanting more and more fuel.
If my calculations are correct, I'm pushing 330BHP... With room to make more, if I get bigger injectors.

WTF? :lol:
All this on a "big" T25.

Post Merge: 12:28:10 AM / 02-Jan-12
UNLESS the misfire is causing it to put in more fuel (misfire = unburnt fuel = more oxygen in exhaust), which would mean that it'll just keep enriching it until it can't put any more in.
Maybe tomorrow I'll close the gap down more on the plugs (I think it's at .035 right now), and give it a little more dwell (at 3.5ms now).
sideways_s12Jan 8, 2012, 12:12 am · #962

what size injectors do you have now?


Post Merge: 12:12:41 AM / 08-Jan-12
also what is a big t25 lol
seishukuJan 8, 2012, 12:33 am · #963

They're 450CC @ 60PSI, which makes them 528CC. I'm thinking I really need something in the 700CC range.

A big T25 is just the T25g from an S13 SR.

sideways_s12Jan 8, 2012, 8:01 pm · #964

I can get you 750's on the cheap if your ever looking to upgrade.

And I thought the big t25 was the one from the sr but wasn't sure if you had some sort of hybrid lol that's alot of power your making on 15psi I'm at 15 psi on the same turbo but mine isn't tuned or nearly as modded as yours also I have lower compression lol

seishukuJan 10, 2012, 4:24 pm · #965

How much?

sideways_s12Feb 6, 2012, 7:43 pm · #966

for the injectors ? well i bought my 1000's that i had for 250 so 750's should be right in the same range or cheaper honda guys are always changin shit here so they sell their stuff for pretty cheap....

sideways_s12Feb 9, 2012, 9:50 pm · #967

yeah they are top feed lol but let me know I'll keep an eye out for you....

seishukuFeb 10, 2012, 5:06 pm · #968

(https://i.imgur.com/OmlZaA8.jpg)

Hopefully it fits... All my research says it will. :lol:


Post Merge: 05:42:10 PM / 10-Feb-12
well that isn't going to work... damnit.

It seems I need that one, but mirrored.
seishukuFeb 12, 2012, 1:12 am · #969

Well I found two Transpo part numbers that look to be correct, even though they aren't listed for Nissan alternators... Then again, that one I bought was listed as a cross referenced part for my alt and it doesn't fit.

Hopefully I can return this one and get the other one.


Post Merge: 05:11:43 PM / 12-Feb-12
Bah... Water pump is leaking.
Seems about right, around 60-70k miles on it.
sideways_s12Feb 12, 2012, 11:40 pm · #970

Damn lol....

seishukuFeb 12, 2012, 11:52 pm · #971

There goes $80... At least we still have some spare cash sitting from taxes. Was going to use some of that to pay bill, but sadly this is more important...
Can't be pissing coolant everywhere. :lol:

sideways_s12Feb 17, 2012, 9:47 pm · #972

WIN!

seishukuFeb 18, 2012, 1:28 pm · #973

New pump
(https://i.imgur.com/9bZgaBz.jpg)

sideways_s12Feb 18, 2012, 10:20 pm · #974

Been there lol I might be going megasquirt as well you have any suggestion on how to build it should i have them build it?

seishukuFeb 18, 2012, 10:40 pm · #975

If you have some skills in electronics, it's not too hard to build one... But there are a few PnP options now for Nissans.
Check out http://www.diyautotune.com

sideways_s12Feb 18, 2012, 11:58 pm · #976

will do thanks and no I don't like working on electronics lol

Ju_S12_TurboFeb 19, 2012, 12:08 am · #977

What do you think of these trigger wheels? http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/50-mm-optical-trigger-wheel-for-nissan-sr20det-or-ka24de-p-472.html I am thinking about going megasquirt on a sr20 and I wanted to use a 36-1 trigger disc but no one around here I trust enough to weld it on perfect lol. Unless you want to do it, then I'll ship it your way lol

seishukuFeb 19, 2012, 12:47 am · #978

Been there, tried that. ;)
Unfortunately I wasn't real happy with many of the replacement trigger discs, the only one I've ever been able to get to work correctly was my modified stock disc.

Honestly, if I were to do it again, I wouldn't weld on the 36-1 wheel the way I did... I was careful on how I did it, but welding heat and a rubber bonded balancer don't usually mix.

If you really want to do it right, pick up a Ross or ATI damper pulley, they both have bolt on accessory drive pulleys and could bolt on the wheel no problem.

Of course those are a little pricey, worth it IMO.

Edit:
Of course, maybe I'm just too picky... With the trigger discs, the engine runs just fine, but the timing drifts as the RPM rises... I was looking for rock solid numbers, which apparently can't be done with just a cam sensor.


Post Merge: 04:27:25 PM / 19-Feb-12
Well, I got the pump replaced... Hopefully I don't have to reseal it, I didn't realize that I was out of RTV until after I had drained the coolant and had the old pump off.
SO... I had to use some high quality 100% silicone caulk, not really my first choice, but I think it will be ok.

If I have to reseal it, oh well... Not a huge deal.

I also need to flush my coolant, get some fresh stuff in there. There was a small hint of oil in it from the rebuild (yes I reused it, coolant is expensive!), but it still does the job.
I at least strained it, there was some particles in it.
seishukuFeb 25, 2012, 7:14 pm · #979

Now when the hell did that happen?
(https://i.imgur.com/a94bfu8.jpg)

sideways_s12Feb 25, 2012, 11:37 pm · #980

what are we looking at?

Slip n SlideFeb 26, 2012, 12:10 am · #981
sideways_s12 on 11:37:52 PM / 25-Feb-12what are we looking at?

I'm assuming it's that huge crease in the muffler.
ArroFeb 26, 2012, 12:14 am · #982

What he said^^^

sideways_s12Feb 26, 2012, 12:34 am · #983

ahh thought that was just a design  lol

seishukuFeb 26, 2012, 2:39 am · #984

:lol:
Nah
Somehow I managed to start bending the muffler in half with out damaging any exhaust tubing.
Not exactly sure how, but the best I can figure is that I must have backed into my parking spot at work with a large snow bank behind it.
But it's not like it was hard ice, just a fresh snow bank... And mufflers aren't exactly easy to crush.

JayFeb 26, 2012, 1:09 pm · #985

The E30's magnaflow is all ballooned from the high RPM fireballs that come out while shifting. Overrun fireballs are awesome.

Just a matter of time until it banana's. Should be an interesting day.

seishukuFeb 26, 2012, 2:32 pm · #986

Maybe mine is from too much time on the flat shift? It doesn't look like it's from overpressure... Maybe I'm wrong? :lol:

And yes, overrun fireballs are awesome... I love the sound from it too.

seishukuMar 13, 2012, 10:24 pm · #987

I need to do something about my gas tank... I'm getting really tired of my pump sucking air on hard accel when the tank is at 1/8.

Any ideas? Besides keeping the level over 1/8. :lol:

I wonder if making the baffle taller would help, and maybe get the pump lower in the tank.

seishukuMar 21, 2012, 10:28 pm · #988

(https://i.imgur.com/ctLpEhh.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/LGUctKR.jpg)

SR alternator repair, part deux... This one looks exactly  like the original, with the exception of the extra capacitor (which will only help cut down on alternator noise).
Everything seems to match up with the measurements that I took last time I had the alt apart, so... I'll find out soon enough.


Post Merge: 09:54:33 PM / 22-Mar-12
Well that failed. No output at all with that regulator, which maybe it's a bad reg? I donno.
I don't really want to return this one for yet another exchange, then have to disassemble the alt again (it's a pain, but I'm pretty good at it now!)

I think I'll just replace it with a Quest alt and be done.
seishukuApr 20, 2012, 9:40 pm · #989

Another little project...
(https://i.imgur.com/hWYJYZb.jpg)

The start of a new gauge cluster.

ArroApr 20, 2012, 9:41 pm · #990

Is that going into the factory cluster shroud?

seishukuApr 20, 2012, 9:47 pm · #991

Maybe, if I still had the factory dash! :lol:

No, it'll get boxed in, then mounted on the steering column.

This is what I've been using:
(https://i.imgur.com/Ee2tmMK.jpg)

BattleFairyApr 21, 2012, 2:23 am · #992

LOL ive planning the same....hwo do you drive the speedo?
or do you use a GPS unit

seishukuApr 21, 2012, 9:02 am · #993

Its an s13 electric drive


Post Merge: 08:40:17 PM / 21-Apr-12
(https://i.imgur.com/hTGLhld.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/GSYbuWT.jpg)
BattleFairyApr 22, 2012, 7:42 am · #994

i really like it
can you tell me more about the speedo and fuelgauge sensor?
theyre plugandplay?or need some complicate setup?

seishukuApr 22, 2012, 10:49 am · #995

The fuel gauge is just one that I could find that closely matches the stock sender, a 90 to 0 VW type I think...
Speedo is easy, 4 wires.. two power, two directly off the s13 speedo sensor, then all you have to do is program the pulses per mile.

seishukuApr 24, 2012, 9:27 pm · #996

It's a start
https://youtu.be/TvjC9gYyZ-k

A MegaSquirt app for my tablet.

BattleFairyApr 26, 2012, 2:15 am · #997

ol poser
iam using a 10year old palm^^ and a 12year old laptop

JayApr 26, 2012, 11:13 am · #998
seishuku on 10:24:11 PM / 13-Mar-12I need to do something about my gas tank... I'm getting really tired of my pump sucking air on hard accel when the tank is at 1/8.

Any ideas? Besides keeping the level over 1/8. :lol:

I wonder if making the baffle taller would help, and maybe get the pump lower in the tank.

Surge tank.
seishukuApr 26, 2012, 4:49 pm · #999

Yeah, I suppose... Maybe someday, when I have some money for a bosch 044 and time to make the tank. :lol:


Post Merge: 06:12:29 PM / 26-Apr-12
Ah, much better.
JayApr 26, 2012, 8:02 pm · #1000

Now all you need to do is replace the gauges with that tablet interfaced via bluetooth.

Customizable gauge cluster with built in WIFI, browser, and NES emulator with wireless controller FTMFW!