Hey, you said I could! :P
It wasn't the one you links, but it's a similar style... Few bucks cheeper too.
I just picked up an EMUSA external gate, it was only $50 and the few reviews I read said it was fairly decent.
When removing the swing valve housing, one of the studs did break, so I had to fix that... But other than that, it should go back together no problem.
The injector adapter looks really good though, looks like it should work perfectly.
The 280CC injectors should be good for around 90BHP, so those might be enough if you ever super/turbo it... The engine only makes like 60, right?
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Matt's S12
Yeah, the studs were beyond their prime anyway. I like replacing them with stainless ones, so you never have to deal with it again. BTW, don't loose the special washers that came off the header. They came from a 20v Audi turbo, and are very high quality. Put them in a bag in the car or something. I used the same ones on the primary tubes coming off the heads, and the nuts rusted out from around them while they were untouched.
A stock mini makes 65, mine with a bigger cam and porting should be closer to 75. I figure an honest 100 would be great with a small turbo, so that's why the larger ones. Any more power than that and the gearbox starts taking a beating, and I need this rebuild to last a while. 100hp in a mini is quite a bit, it would be fun to drive.
Hell, stock power is fun... You'll just have to rebuild the gear box with some nice fat straight cut gears! :lol:
Got the wastegate today, $70... Same brand as the manifold (EMUSA), definitely seems to be a higher quality knockoff brand than what I'm used to seeing.
I'll have to break it down and inspect everything first before use... I'm told just about everything on it interchanges with the TIAL that it's a copy of, so if the diaphragm is junk, I can at least get a good replacement.
(https://i.imgur.com/AhoG6Zw.jpg)
Building the downpipe should be interesting... I may need to cut a clocking flange for the gate though, otherwise maybe I'll just open dump it.
So far I'm $150 into this T3 upgrade, not too bad... Hopefully I can get the tubing for the downpipe locally, getting tired of ordering and waiting.
Mines a little different, but still an Ebay copy from before (That they have subsequently changed because they were able to prove that it was lass than 1% different to the real thing).
And mines completely rebuilt with genuine Tial parts, including the diaphragm.
;)
:lol: yeah
After inspecting it, I have no problem trusting this thing... Damn fine piece, can't wait to get it all installed.
EMUSA is one of the oldest ebay brands there is, these copies are getting better everyday haha
And this is supposed to fit in my engine bay?
(https://i.imgur.com/LkUm0nU.jpg)
:lol:
tuurbo love :laugh:
Well, I know what I'll be doing this weekend...
(https://i.imgur.com/2oV0lqR.jpg)
:yes:
(https://i.imgur.com/ReOReBC.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/nqCXLHR.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/sDvQvG0.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/B8FQRdD.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/1OGQCPW.jpg)
This shit is easy. Why don't people do this more?
i really enjoy reading build threads that have years behind them and see the progress made over those years and the different things that are tried on the same car. i hope to be reading about this car for another 10 years. i am sorry but the pink springs gave me a laugh.
keep up the good work
I hope so too... I don't plan on giving it up until its a rusted pile of scrap!
But the springs aren't pink, its eibach red. ;)
seishuku on 06:11:40 PM / 07-Nov-12(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/seishuku/IMG_20121107_180004.jpg)
that is a funny red :)
It's a cell phone pic, everything looks funny with it. :P
More pics!
Redneck spring compressor
(https://i.imgur.com/mCaCNxk.jpg)
Everything is better with a little heat
(https://i.imgur.com/N1uAa8o.jpg)
Are we ready for winter? Yes we are. (minus the snow tires)
(https://i.imgur.com/hcVBYrW.jpg)
:yes:
Post Merge
Better pic
(https://i.imgur.com/vXDJZui.jpg)
Funny thing, I was actually wanting some sleeves and springs to raise my car for winter rally mode... How much were you able to raise it without issues in the axle/steering departments?
Well, that's about 1", there's still at least another 4" down travel, so realisically a 2" lift would probably be it with out longer shocks... Otherwise you'll be hitting the shock's top stop all the time.
2" would probably be pushing it for tie rod angle though.
But like lowering, lifting will cause bump steer issues too... I haven't noticed any yet, but I need to find some nice whoops to test it out on.
Can't complain about a $230 suspension upgrade, and now I can change out to any spring rate I could ever want now.
Definately pink - don't let my daughter see those lol
2" would be good enough for me! Time to order shit...
:lol:
Daytime pic
(https://i.imgur.com/vqGouqT.jpg)
Post Merge
I think I need to bring it down just a tad... Seems stock S12 springs give the chassis a slight rake.
Right now it's set with the unibody rails more or less level...
Post Merge
T3 fitment checks...
Manifold fits well enough, but I did have to grind a little clearance where that slight rub mark is, no big deal.
(https://i.imgur.com/1A5lwt7.jpg)
It all fits in there though, I will have to make a clocking flange for the wastegate though, it will just make the down pipe fab easier.
(https://i.imgur.com/X7DM14P.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/v4qTxAY.jpg)
Bit of an issue with the dipstick and distributor though...
(https://i.imgur.com/IJqVuSc.jpg)
All in all, shouldn't too hard to get it working... I think I'm gonna have to make the push to get the coil-on-plug working, then the dizzy will be out of the way (it's only there for spark routing and coil anyway).
Well I took another stab at getting the Ford coils running, this time with a different set of coil drivers.
They run better than before, seems the new drivers at least take less current to saturate than the old ones I tried, but I still get a weak spark... So either the coils are junk (junk ford parts?! NAAAAH), or the coils need WAY more dwell than I ever expected.
I don't want to keep jacking up the dwell and risk burning something up really... Soooo... Either I need to try it again with a different set of coils, or maybe pick up some known good SR coils.
Though I can get brand new VW coils with built-in drivers for fairly cheap, so maybe that might be the better route. I donno.
In other news, the battery for my laptop decided to not charge anymore, so I have a non-portable laptop for now... Oh well, the battery was at 50% wear anyway and didn't have much discharge time anymore.
what about some GM LS series coils?
Those are another option I considered, but I would need to have plug wires still... Not that it's a big deal, but it's another part of the ignition system to have to maintain.
I guess it really depends on what I find first and cheapest. :lol:
Eh, there's a reason lots of people use em! Z32 coils?
Hmm... yeah, VG coils might work. For some reason I thought those were more like ca18det coils (too wide and short).
this is one build i really like i just really like how long you have owned this car
this is the same car right and it looks like it started its life blue got to luv it
(http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab347/cutter-photo/shs12.jpg)
Yessir, ugly ass Arizona sun crisped blue.
(https://i.imgur.com/FrVbfmz.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/dgH2ATg.jpg)
seishuku on 09:11:51 AM / 21-Nov-12Hmm... yeah, VG coils might work. For some reason I thought those were more like ca18det coils (too wide and short).LOL they're off a vg! you need 8" of extension to get the plugs on them!
Nice project and I like your engine :yay!:
Ok, got another set of ford coils, original ones this time (the blue ones are aftermarket "high performance")... Gonna see what happens this time, if they do the same thing, then I guess it's time to find different coils that I know will work.
I also cleaned up some temporary stuff that I did when I switched over to the crank trigger, mainly moving the sensor amp to inside the MegaSquirt case, before it was wrapped up in with the other harness wiring. :lol:
XortioN on 01:32:48 AM / 22-Nov-12Nice project and I like your engine :yay!:Thanks!
Expensive but
http://www.frsport.com/Splitfire-DIS-004-Direct-Ignition-Upgraded-Coil-Packs-S13-S14-SR20DET_p_1375.html
exactly the reason why iam going with edis........atleast i cant fry my MS^^
(https://i.imgur.com/Rmn3wrQ.jpg)
Pulled the EDIS coil from the bug, and it works perfect... so those other ford coils are junk.
Post Merge
Plug wires and you can kinda see my block off plate for the CAS, it's made out of Delrin and I'm not sure if that will be high enough temp for that location, so it'll probably be redone in aluminum.
(https://i.imgur.com/X9ml5va.jpg)
The two coil drivers on heat sink, once I'm sure this setup is stable, I'll pot the coil drivers with a tach drive circuit (no tach right now).
(https://i.imgur.com/0y445QO.jpg)
The coil.
(https://i.imgur.com/iLK9MuK.jpg)
^^EDIS^^
any idea how to make Custom Leads for it?
Just the coil, MS is still in complete control... I like my spark cut. ;)
I'll probably just keep the spark plug ends, but I'll uncrimp the coil side and trim to length.
I wish I could reuse the SR spark plug ends, but they're moulded to the cable.
I will probably have to fashion a seal for them though, they do fit rather loose in the plug holes.
dont you love the odd form of edis coils too?
Ive make 4 or 5 brackets until i was happy with the outcome. And i have a edis6........alot bigger
Yeah, they are a little weird... Pretty bulky too.
Actually, after browsing some other cars for coils, I found that most waste spark Hyundai coils are actually pretty compact and new sets come with a bracket and small wire harness.
Not super cheap, but $50 isn't too bad.
why not go with an accel coil?
it works pretty awesome :laugh: and support up to 10.000rpm! thats right its over 9000!!!!!!!!! :hahanot:
http://newyork.ebayclassifieds.com/parts-accessories/ronkonkoma/new-accel-140028-ignition-coil-ford-4-tower-dis-2000-2004-european-con/?ad=16777436
:lol:
It's more of a packaging thing, I'm fairly limited on space where I can put the coils, so they're out of the way.
Here are the coils I was thinking:
(http://www.beckcatalog.com/bin/images/Beckarnley/178/BA1788281-1.jpg)
They fit 2003+ Hyundai and 2005+ Kia, decent packaging and pricing ($62), and I'm pretty sure I can reuse my old SR plug wires.
Space? you dont have to tell me that LOL i have two cylinders more than you :-P
please let me know the results with them, but iam still doubt they will be good.........Hyundai/Kia arent famous of theyre sports abillity^^
your bay doesent look that full........i could hide an other SR there
why dont make a dizzyplug which hold the coil?
(http://www.millersmule.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/img_1579-1024x682.jpg)
I have limited space where the coil can be placed, I have a big old top mount T3 turbo and exhaust parts I have to keep away from.
With the T25, I have a few places I can put it. :lol:
The dizzyplug would work, but then I have the same problem when running the distributor with the top mount T3.
Hyundai coil set is here, pretty nice setup actually... And Denso makes the coils, so no worries about quality (not in my mind anyway).
Here's how it came:
(https://i.imgur.com/LDYd59V.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/njWaP6D.jpg)
REALLY beefy bracket, but I don't need all that and it comes with the harness and condenser (which I really like).
Here's how I'll be using it, unless I find a need to split them up more.
(https://i.imgur.com/nAX6STw.jpg)
Post Merge
Modified the bracket that ties the intake plenum to the head, welded on a part of the bracket that came with the coils... Fits quite nicely, just need to shorten up the plug wires a bit and clean up the wiring.
(https://i.imgur.com/3GJDmNX.jpg)
looks great and hearing that they come from Denso makes me wanna try them too.
From which model they are?
O__O i need 2 set´s
That one was listed for a 2005 tiburon, but its used on a lot of hyundais.
Its packaged as a "coil pack", so you only need one... it just comes as an assembly.
:-P I have an RB.......so two of them hehe
any idea if the plugs on the coils are some oem standart? thats one big thing here, you have to buy always the whole harness too if you want the plugs
:lol:
Yeah, I just realized that...
As luck would have it though, the V6 Tiburon uses the same setup:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2407674&cc=1430894
Naturally it cost a little more though.
And yeah, they seem to be a standard plug wire connector, my stock SR wires fit perfectly.
naahhhh i mean the ecu/coil part. Ive had to solder wires on my edis coil to get a connection to my harness^^ the plug isnt aviable at Ford here,only if i would buy the whole harness part for around 300$^^
300$ for one plug LOL
yeah iam aware some companys sell them for MS user but i have only bad experience with such things
Eh, just hack off the edis coil connector and leave a pigtail if you want to go back.
These coils come with a small harness with the connector already.
Cleaned up the plug wires:
(https://i.imgur.com/VOtxHq9.jpg)
i thought for some reason General motor coil packs were one of the best, some guy told me and then i noticed a lot of guys using them on mainly rb's :s
Yeah, I thought about using those too, or the GM 4 tower single module, but those are both fairly bulky like the Ford coil too.
At least the single 2 tower GM coils are separate, but still a little big for what I was looking for.
I'm pretty happy with this set up though, I just need to strengthen the bracket a little more though.
Edit:
Oh, you probably mean LS1 coils... Yeah, I would like a set of those too, they have coil drivers built-in, but they're way too expensive for me and I didn't want to get used coils.
Post Merge
Well, just got done rebuilding my front calipers... They really cleaned up nice, considering they were factory originals, wire wheeled them and hit it with some high temp black paint.
Bad thing was the seal kit included a dust seal that didn't fit, not even close... I made it work though, not quite the way I would like it to, but it's better than a torn one. :lol:
At least the piston seal was correct, so no leaking brake fluid everywhere... That was actually making stops first thing in the morning a little hard at first, because sometimes the fluid would get on the rotor. :\
Didn't get any pics though (hard to use a camera when your hands are covered in brake fluid), but it was a really simple process (unlike the rear calipers).
I promised myself that I wouldn't do anymore pie-cut bends, but I just didn't want to spend the money on a mandrel bend... At least it came out pretty decent.
(https://i.imgur.com/ZWnkJmb.jpg)
Pretty close to putting the T3 in... Maybe this weekend, if I have enough welding gas.