Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

JZ S12 BUILD, RIP 2012

Started by David B · May 28, 2008 · 1673postsSMF 2010–26

brewster240Jun 28, 2010, 5:14 am · #1451

buy real foam so you dont have to worry about passing tech later. places will notice and fail you.

looks good.

LyniumJun 28, 2010, 6:01 am · #1452

floor mats... ??? seriously? any track/race/autocross etc event I've been to, they make you toss em out! (Okay okay, I've only made it to ONE autocross.. hehe..)

I guess it is nice to keep the rug clean.. oh wait.. are you even putting that in? haha

I think it kinda sucks that you're ditching the interior, but I totaly understand as well.

I just love seeing a caged car with all its interior intact. its just soo sweet.

but yeah. be looking forward to more picks n hopefully some vids!

what kinda of cage is that? like how many point/style/what is it good for legaly? looks an awefull lot like a sort of stock car cage from when I was a kidlet, cept it doesnt go to/carty on into the engine bay and such. (my old man and unckles raced stock cars, old fashioned hillbilly oval dirt tracks type.. lol)

EightySix200SXJun 28, 2010, 8:34 pm · #1453

auxillary cooler fan is sick!!!!!! nice color choice on teh cage.

sam31183Jun 28, 2010, 8:43 pm · #1454

they can sit there...they just haz to wear helmetzzzzzz....on the streetzzzzz.

MaxpowJun 29, 2010, 1:01 am · #1455

Lol@cooler fan. That is secks.

gadget1382Jun 29, 2010, 1:14 am · #1456

I was going to put a fan on the sunroof too!
great minds. Though mine was going to be a pusher on the outside with a rally style scoop over the top covering it up.

Justin BannerJun 29, 2010, 1:22 am · #1457
David Blee, local guy that drifts ka-t s14

(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/bill4458/lee3.jpg)
(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/bill4458/lee.jpg)
(http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/bill4458/lee2.jpg)
hes got all the specs for my hatch saved for next time too. he charged me 800

Heh, I know where my next paycheck is going. PM me his contact information.
LyniumJun 29, 2010, 1:42 am · #1458

haha.. the "other car" that took up my garage for the last forever had a twin fan n shroud from the front of a windstar sitting over it.

Looked almost like it was made to be there! haha

IggyEGuanaJun 29, 2010, 10:15 am · #1459

great progress david.  I dont like the "halo" configuration but I guess the builder was into it at the time

kelso840Jul 3, 2010, 7:52 am · #1460

^^^ Those look like they'd be way easy to install, but I'm guessing they're not. I hope you'll be doing a write-up on what it takes to get that bad boy in working order.

David BJul 3, 2010, 8:15 am · #1461
kelso840^^^ Those look like they'd be way easy to install, but I'm guessing they're not. I hope you'll be doing a write-up on what it takes to get that bad boy in working order.


very simple too install, though this unit has SAE thread pitch or something, and my car is metric. so im probally gonna have to just cut/flare and add the right fittings on
JayJul 3, 2010, 3:43 pm · #1462
David Bvery simple too install, though this unit has SAE thread pitch or something, and my car is metric. so im probally gonna have to just cut/flare and add the right fittings on

^I like this idea better than what I'm about to say

They do have adapters at autozone/napa/advance/oreilly's/carquest/bumper2bumper/etc for it all... They're six inches long and go from the metric on the car to the SAE. I think the part number is 27851
David BJul 4, 2010, 3:02 am · #1463

(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0703001700.jpg)

MaxpowJul 4, 2010, 7:56 am · #1464
David Bbrake works, well at least in the garage. i have yet to test it. but i can stop the car from rolling backwards lol


Becoming more rare in these parts.
JayJul 4, 2010, 8:09 am · #1465
MaxpowBecoming more rare in these parts.

Mine does....
Kinda....
If it's less than a 5 degree gradient.....

Yeah, my ebrake is useless..... When I bought it it had no problems locking it up... I dunno.

I'm going pretty much the route david did. of which,
IggyEGuanaJul 4, 2010, 8:17 am · #1466

reinforce the tunnel where its mounted.  just needs a piece of plate welded in under it as sort of a base.  stiffen the floor and spread the load of u yankin the handle

KustamogenJul 4, 2010, 9:44 am · #1467

Thats pretty neato!!!!

BoostedVGJul 4, 2010, 2:12 pm · #1468

Very cool!

David BJul 4, 2010, 5:12 pm · #1469

(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/129_4343.jpg)

myth_S12Jul 4, 2010, 8:59 pm · #1470

awesome! it looks great.

LyniumJul 5, 2010, 2:39 am · #1471

Sweeet! Well done! Looks like a comonly used one too.

I like Iggys idea on the mounting re-inforcment.

I remember somewhere talking about hooking the brake up to an actuator etc run off a push button mounted on the shifter knob..     or maybe I kept that one to myself... ? hehe

personaly I never had a problem with my normal stock e-brake.. until I left it on halfway around a course once in my excited grabbin at things. Although it still works pretty good, enough to lock up the rears still...

new shoes and adjustment would do wonders, however theres no hope for it to have the strength of a hydro-handbrake..

KustamogenAug 3, 2010, 6:27 am · #1472

haha a nail??

magnetic oil drain plug?

David BAug 3, 2010, 6:41 am · #1473
Kustamogenhaha a nail??

magnetic oil drain plug?

transmisssion!
D-sport S12Aug 3, 2010, 6:43 am · #1474

so what it going on with the SR now.

ArroAug 3, 2010, 6:49 am · #1475

Hahahah David I found this, wow remember that shit?

D-sport S12Aug 3, 2010, 6:50 am · #1476
ArroHahahah David I found this, wow remember that shit?


lol i even remember that
JayAug 3, 2010, 6:58 am · #1477

(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0803000127.jpg)

Nothing like the look and smell of watered down oil.

Yummy. One of the worst smelling engine destuction methods out there

KustamogenAug 3, 2010, 7:03 am · #1478

so did the HG blow AGAIN? AND theres a nail in your tranny? haha

sam31183Aug 3, 2010, 6:20 pm · #1479

when i first saw the pic of the brown liquid i thought david was making pancakes....not going to lie...

David BAug 3, 2010, 6:52 pm · #1480

so i found a longblock for 800 bux...

im thinking about putting the longblock in, and rebuilding mine in the meantime.

Kustamogenso did the HG blow AGAIN? AND theres a nail in your tranny? haha

my head is probally warped
kyskaterAug 3, 2010, 8:12 pm · #1481

dude you never do get a break do you?

seishukuAug 3, 2010, 9:14 pm · #1482

How the HELL do you get a nail inside the trans???

David BAug 3, 2010, 10:41 pm · #1483
seishukuHow the HELL do you get a nail inside the trans???

LOOL i dropped it by accident somehow like a year ago, i forgot about it.

but i got it back!

(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/Mobile%20Uploads/0803001641.jpg)
(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0803001831.jpg)
(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0803001831a.jpg)

ill do the bottom end tomorrow or tonight
nismologistAug 3, 2010, 11:03 pm · #1484

any idea where the gasket blew or how it did?

Justin BannerAug 3, 2010, 11:54 pm · #1485
sam31183when i first saw the pic of the brown liquid i thought david was making pancakes....not going to lie...

I thought it was paint.
tjs91tsiAug 4, 2010, 1:26 am · #1486

If you think you are having issues with the Sr20, (very minor ones I might add like lean/rich etc...) I can assure you its not going to be much better if you go to something different.  Its a damned near perfect engine you got so my advice, build this block properly, take your time, dont half ass and slowly work out the tuning kinks and you shall be very happy.  You run an engine pretty damned hard when drifting, build it right now and enjoy.   Fast, reliable, cheap...Pick only two, you arnt an exception.   Cheers  Tyler.

Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

David BAug 4, 2010, 2:24 am · #1487
tjs91tsiOhh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!


   i agree!

im gonna get some sort of fuel management this time also
EightySix200SXAug 4, 2010, 2:45 am · #1488
David B(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/129_4343.jpg)

looks good g. sry bout the sr hope u get her running asap.

edit: cali trip after dood!
JayAug 4, 2010, 9:14 am · #1489
David Bgetting the head leak tested/milled and inspected tomorrow from a friends machine shop for 100 bux
gonna tear down the block and send that there next
arp eadstuds

cosworth headgasket

valve seals

piston rings and main bearing
hmm what elsE?

rod bearings are a definite
Rear and front main seal is a definite
Get a rocker stopper
I'll think of more eventually too

mmmmmmmmm. Cosworth.....
David BAug 4, 2010, 9:25 am · #1490

rear and front seal are brand new lol. might change them again.

ive got greddy RAS.. look at the pic of my torn down head, there on the sides

thinking about cams also. but idk. i want cams.

JayAug 4, 2010, 9:30 am · #1491

It's apart, and cheap, so why not eh?
Shit, didn't notice those, your covered!
Cams can always be added later. They're easy. I dunno how much they cost, but from what I understand worth it. But cannot attest to it myself. Maybe Matt will chime in on that

IggyEGuanaAug 4, 2010, 9:33 am · #1492

haha cant get a break?  how u think this guy gets so much sweet stuff for dirt cheap and tons of seat time for dirt cheap.  hes probably bangin tons of teenage bitches too haha.  you got this shit handled David.  btw an alum head can be flattened at certain shops.  but most shops just wanna mill the head.. which is actually wrong..

warped alum head torqued down to think iron block (analog for engine block) and cooked in a furnace.  dont remem temp or time but u might be able to google it.  about 500 degrees though

EightySix200SXAug 4, 2010, 4:45 pm · #1493
IggyEGuanahaha cant get a break?  how u think this guy gets so much sweet stuff for dirt cheap and tons of seat time for dirt cheap.  hes probably bangin tons of teenage bitches too haha.  you got this shit handled David.

he damn well better
hotdoghogieAug 4, 2010, 6:04 pm · #1494
EightySix200SXhe damn well better

This.
D-sport S12Aug 4, 2010, 7:35 pm · #1495
IggyEGuanahaha cant get a break?  how u think this guy gets so much sweet stuff for dirt cheap and tons of seat time for dirt cheap.  hes probably bangin tons of teenage bitches too haha.  you got this shit handled David.  btw an alum head can be flattened at certain shops.  but most shops just wanna mill the head.. which is actually wrong..

warped alum head torqued down to think iron block (analog for engine block) and cooked in a furnace.  dont remem temp or time but u might be able to google it.  about 500 degrees though

another thing me and him have in common lol
David BAug 5, 2010, 3:48 am · #1496

got a pic of one of my 10 runs from the weekend with a blown hg. lol

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs273.snc4/40004_422762479555_826709555_4498219_3987816_n.jpg)

(http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/whatrwedoingnow/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0804002107.jpg)

and i dropped the head off today

got my shift knob powdercoated

(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs211.snc4/38888_420107197116_500057116_5350697_2605024_n.jpg)



NOTICE THE T NEXT TO MY NUMBER!!


a big milestone.

EightySix200SXAug 5, 2010, 3:51 am · #1497

WHY do u have to be so legit dude?

David BAug 5, 2010, 3:53 am · #1498

legit? this sucks. im in a hole lol. i need to get this shit sideways with other cars door to door!

Drft-s12Aug 5, 2010, 3:58 am · #1499

Lovin the knob   make sure you recommend all of you WITTDJR to be the best Zoner and dont forget the C.O.C Lucas Fuel Treatment alright lol hahahaha

Cant wait to see you back in action......so how did the Hydro E-Brake work out man???

EightySix200SXAug 5, 2010, 4:00 am · #1500

legit, meaning not giving up dude ur a trooper youll be sideways dude real soon i hope so! u still need those calipers?

whats the t for tandem??.

i so want to start sliding (not the notch though) after asb x and the ridealong with eric kinda opened my eyes that shit is fun dude