Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

what did you do to your s12 today?!

Started by Premo · Jan 25, 2008 · 2164postsSMF 2010–26

S12-ARMay 26, 2011, 9:11 pm · #801

I turned my Turbo scoop into a working scoop! Any thoughts?

Slip n SlideMay 26, 2011, 9:46 pm · #802

I'd imagine it's the same concept as a pick-up trucks bed. The air flies over the top of the light then back around in an upward motion? Makes sense to me, but iunno. haha

Wolf DilworthMay 27, 2011, 1:16 am · #803
S12-AR on 06:06:15 PM / 26-May-11The Technician spoke little english...

Noice? Noice?...  Noise. 

Dick-Shun-Airy iz yer frend.

Post Merge: 01:25:35 AM / 27-May-11
silverton on 08:09:49 PM / 26-May-11have you guys ever noticed the rain water going UP the back of the headlight while it's on and it's raining?  crazy...

Not crazy.  Just turbulent flow around the headlight, sadly, US schools no longer teach you kids any of this stuff.  Slip n Slide's answer is proof enough, "Makes sense to me, but iunno. haha"  Sad...

Now stop staring at your headlight bucket and watch the road.  LOL
silvertonMay 27, 2011, 10:53 am · #804

Nah, I know there is a pocket of air there, kind of on the same level as an air foil.  It's just fun to watch sometimes.

ArroMay 27, 2011, 1:46 pm · #805

Turning the turbo bulge into a "functional" scoop has been proven scientifically to be a bad idea, as it creates a negative pressure zone directly under it. The RX-7 FC guys went into HUGE detail about this because they have factory scoops in the same location.

Techically speaking, the turbo bulge is a compete detriment to performance. It adds more wind drag, and more weight, and when the front is opened, it actually causes heat to linger more in the engine bay because it cancels out the normal flow of air through the bay.

But it's iconic for our cars, and for 80's Japanese cars in general, this two-piece hood and scoop look. And we all know the real reason Nissan placed it on the S12 -- the FJ engine needed it to clear its massive twincam head.

silvertonMay 27, 2011, 1:59 pm · #806

FJ..... VG.....  you know, whatever! :) lol

sideways_s12May 28, 2011, 2:20 pm · #807

I dumped water into the rad because my coolant leak is back AGAIN!!! Ugh! Hopefully I can find some stock et injectors so I can get the red car back on the road and put the black car down. For maintenance and upgrades

MaxpowMay 28, 2011, 4:22 pm · #808

Seemed to be WAY overheated. Turned it off coasted to a stop, then began field diagnostics. Everything seemed to be in good shape, no leaks, slightly low on coolant; but otherwise normal. Unplugged CHTS then replugged it, went down to less than half temp instantly and didn't have heat issues after...

However:

I had to tow Slicks12's car about 2 miles up some gnarly fucking grades with the SE. The auto trans is going fast. Car idles rough now... how could towing cause that?

Wolf Dilworth on 01:16:24 AM / 27-May-11Noice? Noice?...  Noise. 

Dick-Shun-Airy iz yer frend.

Post Merge: [time]11:25:35 PM / 26-May-11 [/time]
Not crazy.  Just turbulent flow around the headlight, sadly, US schools no longer teach you kids any of this stuff.  Slip n Slide's answer is proof enough, "Makes sense to me, but iunno. haha"  Sad...

Now stop staring at your headlight bucket and watch the road.  LOL


Rough day or just bored?
drummingpariahMay 28, 2011, 8:46 pm · #809

Changed the oil, balanced my tire pressures, and started sourcing parts for my rear suspension build. Shopped for hockey pucks for motor/trans mount replacement, but apparently no sporting goods stores around here carry hockey pucks.

lady_s12_77May 28, 2011, 9:28 pm · #810

Dumbfounded-
driven the car for two days, driven /all day/ up and down the highway; not once overheated.
It either stayed at halfway or before halfway closer to the 'C' side. It was freaking hot out.

Only time it started to warm up *a teeny bit* was while sitting in traffic at a light. On my way the clutch fan kicks on and its right back to before the halfway mark closest to 'C'.

I guess it was working out a air bubble after I removed the thermostat?!!! Possible unknown clog now unclogged?
Rad fluid looks shocking normal all of a sudden. I compared everything to my brother's car (which indeed has oil in its water, looks like bubbly sh*t). No resemblance whatsoever. No bubbling in my car's reservoir either.

Weird silly little car lol  :tongue2:

S12-ARMay 28, 2011, 9:29 pm · #811

Did final touches on body work on the S12 and masked it all up! Tomorrow morning I will start shooting it! Finally!

lady_s12_77May 28, 2011, 9:41 pm · #812
silverton on 08:09:49 PM / 26-May-11And at least none of those animals got near a fan.... that gets messy!

In a different car, it was night and while I drove I heard a loud *POP*. Pulled over, thinking it was a engine belt. Didn't see anything.

Next few days I noticed flies flying around the bumper. Peeped under the hood and saw a kitten chopped in half, poor fella! He/it must've crawled in there to catch some warmth from the engine (it was cold out). Its eyes were all bleach white, mouth open stuck in a 'AHHHH!' expression :reallysad:
sideways_s12May 29, 2011, 12:44 pm · #813

Fix coolant leak again and fixed maf issue hopefully it will stay this way long enough to save some money

EightySix200SXMay 29, 2011, 8:23 pm · #814

how the socal guys weekend went

<----maxpow towing slicks12 ---->
(http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/EightySix200SX/randomness/P5270282.jpg)

burnt ti bolts
(http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/EightySix200SX/randomness/P5280289.jpg)

no longer california registered whaaaaa VALID BAJA CALIFORNIA MEXICO PLATES?
(http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/EightySix200SX/randomness/IMAG0331.jpg)

ArroMay 29, 2011, 8:30 pm · #815

I um did a few little things to my car :innocent:

JayMay 29, 2011, 8:30 pm · #816

I'm MILES away, and even I know some of what you did :P

sideways_s12May 30, 2011, 10:55 am · #817

Gotta fix this goddamn coolant leak AGAIN! UGH! MY CAR IS PISSIN ME OFF!

zastabaMay 30, 2011, 11:04 am · #818

I rocked my s12 for Saturday and Sunday at our local auto-x. Was fu@king awesome! Pics to be posted later.

Arro on 08:30:06 PM / 29-May-11I um did a few little things to my car :innocent:
Moar info'z pleaze.
backwoodsbuilderMay 30, 2011, 11:31 am · #819

put power steering pump on and i couldnt do any more between the mosqitos and black horse flys it was pissing me off on top of that the damn heat ugh i wish i had a big enough shed to fit the car in id air condition it and could get shit done. o not anything s12 but threw cheap kool vue muffler on my 92 buick regal muff was rotted and stright pipe to loud so it'll have to do till i sell it lol.

Colonel GustardMay 30, 2011, 2:30 pm · #820

added the 4th motor in my hatch collection, ive now had a VG30, 2 KA24E, and now a GA16DE, boy i love my s12 truck

rollingstockMay 30, 2011, 8:32 pm · #821

bought another s12 today

silvertonMay 31, 2011, 1:45 am · #822

I need to go run some twisties.  just wish there were more a bit closer to home...

currently running no air filter, but only temporary.  Went ahead with the cut air intake box, tack welded the factory baffle screen over the hole so french fries can't fall in.  Went to paint, but the paint wasn't agreeing, so it's spending the night in a strip tank.  In the end, it's going to look factory.

drummingpariahMay 31, 2011, 12:33 pm · #823

Lubed my ebrake cable. It needs to be replaced, but hopefully I can adjust it to reel in all the extra play so I can pass inspection.

backwoodsbuilderMay 31, 2011, 1:31 pm · #824

put power steering belt on/air filter&tube/checked trans gear oil make sure that was filled. started it shut it off  got bored and put this the mkll and the parts mkl hatch on craigs lol just to see what offers/trades id get dont worry 95% chance i wont get rid of it just looking lol

Nissan86May 31, 2011, 10:35 pm · #825

Bought a twinsize bed sheet to cover the back. The guy who owned it must have been a painter or something. But I got tired of marines asking if I had a bird living in the back cause it looks like theres bird poop everywhere. So I covered the back with the navy blue sheet! :D

Don't worry, I'll but the carpets one of these days.

newby200sxMay 31, 2011, 11:25 pm · #826

bought a ca18det today dropping it in tomorrow

DatsmoZMay 31, 2011, 11:35 pm · #827

Bought a twinsize bed sheet to cover the back. The guy who owned it must have been a painter or something. But I got tired of marines asking if I had a bird living in the back cause it looks like theres bird poop everywhere. So I covered the back with the navy blue sheet! :D

Don't worry, I'll but the carpets one of these days.

EightySix200SXJun 1, 2011, 12:03 am · #828

purchased, gauge pods, misc wiring, gauges, coolant adapter, sandwich plate etc more goodies and urethane bushings.

Nissan86 on 11:35:44 PM / 31-May-11Bought a twinsize bed sheet to cover the back. The guy who owned it must have been a painter or something. But I got tired of marines asking if I had a bird living in the back cause it looks like theres bird poop everywhere. So I covered the back with the navy blue sheet! :D

Don't worry, I'll but the carpets one of these days.

i have brand new oem carpet, privacy covers etc lmk lip kits everyting used parts etc. i am the N.O.S KING! [new old stock]
Nissan86Jun 1, 2011, 12:34 am · #829
EightySix200SX on 11:03:58 PM / 31-May-11i have brand new oem carpet, privacy covers etc lmk lip kits everyting used parts etc. i am the N.O.S KING! [new old stock]
OOOOooo! Maybe I'll hit you up when I have enough money! :P
DatsmoZJun 1, 2011, 1:34 am · #830
EightySix200SX on 12:03:58 AM / 01-Jun-11i have brand new oem carpet, privacy covers etc lmk lip kits everyting used parts etc. i am the N.O.S KING! [new old stock]
OOOOooo! Maybe I'll hit you up when I have enough money! :P
sideways_s12Jun 2, 2011, 11:08 am · #831

Fixed the coolant leak only to find another I'm about ready to sell her and get a bike *seriously*

vegasS12Jun 2, 2011, 12:29 pm · #832

cant go wrong with a bike haha but keep her she's legit just work te bugs out lil by lil

MaxpowJun 2, 2011, 12:36 pm · #833

Car kept dying on me. Did what any parts whore would do, I started throwing parts at it.

Replaced the original maf with a new reman that is just clean as a whistle. Didn't work. Replaced ECU with one I found in the junkyard...  Boom. It runs amazingly better, still slightly off, but this will atleast get it going until the auto trans blows on me.

The other day I towed slicks12's car 5 miles through a bunch of hills with my SE... that's actually what started my constant dying no power problems... asshole owes me a tranny.

Colonel GustardJun 2, 2011, 3:09 pm · #834

owes you a 5speed swap and the labor to do it ;)

MaxpowJun 2, 2011, 3:10 pm · #835

lul. Gonna get that a-trans if its still there in a couple days!!!

Colonel GustardJun 2, 2011, 3:16 pm · #836

niiicceee, get me them front hubs if you can, ill pay you for them since me founds a buyer for them

MaxpowJun 2, 2011, 3:18 pm · #837

Flow shore.


Post Merge: 03:19:38 PM / 02-Jun-11
Painted my z32's black:
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0004-2.jpg)
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0005-2.jpg)
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0007-2.jpg)
Colonel GustardJun 2, 2011, 3:20 pm · #838

3333

EightySix200SXJun 2, 2011, 3:23 pm · #839

looking good maxpow!

MaxpowJun 2, 2011, 3:30 pm · #840

(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0006-2.jpg)


Post Merge: 03:30:09 PM / 02-Jun-11
temp tag pimpin
Colonel GustardJun 2, 2011, 3:32 pm · #841

temp tags FTW

sideways_s12Jun 2, 2011, 3:33 pm · #842
vegasS12 on 12:29:55 PM / 02-Jun-11cant go wrong with a bike haha but keep her she's legit just work te bugs out lil by lil

I know I'm just tired of her lol just want to beable to drive with no issues
EightySix200SXJun 2, 2011, 4:32 pm · #843

i know how you feel sidewayz i was tempted to do the same thing real talk but not a bike a sedan

heithJun 3, 2011, 4:07 am · #844

ca18et lost all coolant
wait till morning light to find out what went wrong....

MaxpowJun 3, 2011, 2:54 pm · #845

Brake pads.
240LPH fuel pump installed
Repainted rear mk2 rubber strip on bumper.

JayJun 3, 2011, 3:17 pm · #846

Fixed the valve stem those god damned kids kept kicking, and eventually tore.
Those little motherfucking pricks of satanic cocksucking with cocaine laced pineapples shoved in their asses deserve to be curbstomped Edward Norton style ten times over.

drummingpariahJun 3, 2011, 3:30 pm · #847

visited the DMV again, and sorted out all the registration fun once and for all (until October, at least, when I have to renew it). Adjusted the extreme amounts of slack out of the ebrake, only to find that it still does absolutely nothing. Further diagnosis required.

sideways_s12Jun 3, 2011, 4:15 pm · #848

Went to fix the leak yesterday and now there's no leak wtf! Whatever its not leaking anymore

vegasS12Jun 3, 2011, 4:53 pm · #849
sideways_s12 on 04:15:29 PM / 03-Jun-11Went to fix the leak yesterday and now there's no leak wtf! Whatever its not leaking anymore
your car is alive its fucking with you hahaha
MaxpowJun 3, 2011, 5:07 pm · #850

Got off my ass and did my Acadiana representation.

(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0016-1.jpg)
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0017-1.jpg)
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0018-1.jpg)
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/SANY0019-1.jpg)