Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

My Build Story...The 12welve gets some Luv! (Project High Response)

Started by 8SixS12 · Oct 27, 2012 · 255postsSMF 2010–26

8SixS12Dec 15, 2012, 9:45 pm · #51
sideways_s12 on 01:23:42 PM / 13-Dec-12Didn't know crower and brian crower were different companies are they cheaper than bc?
I wish. They are considerably more (probably why not many people run them).  Besides I had access to these and they have a great reputation with the muscle car guys so I figured why not.
Post Merge
Some more goodies came in:
posted image
posted image
ACT HD pressure plate and clutch disc

D-sport S12Dec 16, 2012, 1:43 pm · #52

That's a nice feeling street clutch, drove a skyline with one like it, not to agrresive unlike my 4 puck

8SixS12Dec 16, 2012, 11:05 pm · #53

Yeah, my goal was to be able to enjoy the car. I don't want to feel like I'm working every time I step on the clutch pedal.  Besides, I'm pretty sure I won't be making anything close to the 372ft lb rating anyway.
Post Merge


I decided to go with the matching streetlite flywheel for the same reasons
posted image
IggyEGuanaDec 18, 2012, 3:13 am · #54

baller parts list adding up

8SixS12Dec 21, 2012, 8:29 am · #55
IggyEGuana on 03:13:06 AM / 18-Dec-12baller parts list adding up
I just want to spend the money where it counts.  I only want to do this once!

Post Merge
Believe it or not, I plan in using the oem intake and exhaust manifolds to take advantage of the new cam profiles and to save some funtickets in the process.  With that said I wanted to try out this new paint from KBS coatings. They are a new vendor that just got picked up where I work.
posted image
I talked to the reps and they say the spray will withstand about 1200 degrees and it won't peel or flake off.  I sprayed my exhaust manni with it and it looks like it was powdercoated.
posted image
I did have to hit it with a wire wheel to get all the surface rust off first and then wiped it down with some TSP to remove any left over oils and dust before spraying it.  Then I baked it in my barbecue grill @ 300 degrees.

I'm not a great painter but this thing has zero runs on it.  I think it came out pretty decent for a spray coating.
posted image
Post Merge
I'm thinking of doing the same to the intake manni as well but I'm not sure on the color scheme yet. You can bet it won't be blue, green and white though.
Post Merge
I'm almost done prepping my intake manifold and valve cover.
posted image
Problem is I just noticed that the baffle drain (Or what ever it's called) on the underside of the VC is broken.
posted image
Not really sure if it matters or not but it kind of makes me uneasy about using it. I found another one though but it sucks that I wasted all that time and energy getting off that ugly blue powder coat. BTW, CRC gasket remover works wonders on powdercoating. Spray it on and let it sit for a few then wipe it off - no BS! I used a platic scraper to avoid gouging the VC.
axlegreaseDec 23, 2012, 4:02 pm · #56

Nice build thread!!! Looks like its going along quite well! Maybe this will inspire me to get up off my lazy ass and throw the sr in my s12 too....  :yawn:

8SixS12Jan 5, 2013, 12:44 pm · #57
axlegrease on 04:02:11 PM / 23-Dec-12Nice build thread!!! Looks like its going along quite well! Maybe this will inspire me to get up off my lazy ass and throw the sr in my s12 too....  :yawn:
Thanks for the kind words!  Yeah, getting off your duff is the hardest part.  More updates today....I hope.
Post Merge
Update: I started pulling off some of the front end trim to get ready to remove the fenders.
posted image
Found 26 year old dirt that accumulated behind the mud guards. 
posted image
posted image
Fenders and hood off:
posted image
Once that was done, I realized that I needed to turn the car around in order to have enough room to pull the motor.
posted image
posted image
Thank god my CA18ET still runs!
Post Merge
Last time I'll see the 18ET in the 'ol bay.
Sad to see it go....can we get a moment of silence?.....
posted image
okay now that I'm over that, I can't wait to get it outta there!
Jeremy AJan 5, 2013, 7:09 pm · #58
:sniffles:
BattleFairyJan 6, 2013, 2:53 am · #59
:cry2:
sideways_s12Jan 6, 2013, 11:59 am · #60

Bye Bye single cam ca :(

I_heart_VVLJan 6, 2013, 1:55 pm · #61

WOOOOOH! Rip that bitch outta there already!!!
:grinwink:

ProlowtoneJan 6, 2013, 2:34 pm · #62

looking good man!

Jeremy AJan 6, 2013, 7:15 pm · #63
Jeremy A on 07:09:42 PM / 05-Jan-13 :sniffles:
BattleFairy on 02:53:03 AM / 06-Jan-13 :cry2:
sideways_s12 on 11:59:51 AM / 06-Jan-13Bye Bye single cam ca :(


.....meanwhile...

I_heart_VVL on 01:55:51 PM / 06-Jan-13WOOOOOH! Rip that bitch outta there already!!!


Hahahahaha,  classic!
I_heart_VVLJan 6, 2013, 10:33 pm · #64

Shit people, get excited that another dusty ol' CA is getting pulled!
:P

ProlowtoneJan 7, 2013, 10:19 am · #65

If it was a dusty ol ca20 then I would agree hahaha
Post Merge


I do like the build he is doing tho
8SixS12Jan 7, 2013, 6:04 pm · #66

You guys are f'ing funny.  You gotta give the CA it's respect though.  It got me where I needed to go for 2 years before it started pissing oil. 

Thanks for the touching selection BattleFairy!  :cry2:

sideways_s12Jan 7, 2013, 6:35 pm · #67

I love the ca moreso than anyone on this site and everyone can tell you that...lol

8SixS12Jan 8, 2013, 9:41 pm · #68

Update: A friend from work came over to light a fire under my ass, err help me out....
I decided against wrecklessly evacuating r134a into my neighborhood (I just kept thinking about my 3 year old daughter and the ozone etc.) so we took the twelve out for it's final voyage under the power of the CA motor. We drove it down to let the cool old doods at City Automotive do the evac the right way. She felt extra quick that day.  Maybe because I haven't driven it 2 1/2 years or maybe the 'ol CA knew about it's last day in the car.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/85D0511C-F091-406C-A202-6B1A3DCD65D8-43580-00000CCA4C0EA983.jpg)
After the joyride was over, we started pulling off all the necessary piping, wiring, and hoses.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/D36BB4F0-2573-426E-9D83-B67EDB7FD9AF-43926-00000CDE3A3A5578.jpg)
Frickin' left rearward motor mount bolt head rounded off so I had to remove the bolt at the block side of the bracket.

Ready to go!
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/9C9419BF-0868-475F-8CC0-695EA6095C4A-62968-00001282110D3E1D.jpg)
Well, not quite. I friggin forgot to remove the shift lever  :idea:

Now we are go!
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/266EC932-767D-4760-8208-23E4A55547C4-62968-0000127D041AA9DA.jpg)

With a little persuasion comes success!
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/E2511C9E-14B2-41CC-B6CE-B149DE34AEDE-62968-0000127CD267C81B.jpg)
^I let my buddy take this dumb ass pic so he could shut the hell up about it!

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/B087D158-8C9B-4E5C-96A9-A809366CCBCE-62968-0000127CAC68A6AB.jpg)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/F30EA151-7994-4E9C-9188-51B46915348A-62968-0000127CA0700148.jpg)
DONE!!!

sideways_s12Jan 9, 2013, 9:26 pm · #69

nicely done do i spy a t25g from an sr on the ca?

I_heart_VVLJan 9, 2013, 11:50 pm · #70

I'm pretty sure thats the S15 T28 he's mentioned before.

sideways_s12Jan 10, 2013, 1:49 am · #71

Must've missed that part.....

I_heart_VVLJan 10, 2013, 2:55 am · #72

There's a huge picture of it on the first page hahaha

8SixS12Jan 10, 2013, 10:48 pm · #73
I_heart_VVL on 11:50:07 PM / 09-Jan-13I'm pretty sure thats the S15 T28 he's mentioned before.
You are correct Sir.
sideways_s12Jan 10, 2013, 11:51 pm · #74
I_heart_VVL on 02:55:03 AM / 10-Jan-13There's a huge picture of it on the first page hahaha


Again missed it....
8SixS12Jan 12, 2013, 10:22 am · #75

I need to start pulling some of this crap out of the engine bay. I know I'm crazy for saying this, but I think I'm gonna try and pull off a wire tuck.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/26B8D605-0E1C-4559-90DC-A4ECE656016E-62968-00001276C11B7A71.jpg)
I've also been trying to decide what color I'm going to spray the engine bay. Been tossing around the idea of gold or an old school wrinkle gray or something but, IDK.

Anyway, now it's time to get down to business.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/A62010BD-DD80-4239-9016-144EB97188D6-25715-000024CB52674F6D.jpg)

My peeps from from work came through to help me put the bottom end together. They started an organization called YAI Racing. These guys are gonna do big things this year and it looks like I'm going to be a part of some of it in one way or another. We kind of hit it off when we met and the rest is history. Check out thier video here:
http://youtu.be/EiVLQ98ggI4

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/277A2199-A7DB-49EE-9857-0AD5A8B184DB-96301-00001C30CA03045E.jpg)
J
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/E2740EA4-391C-454A-82AC-E9CDBBA35111-96301-00001C31405B2121.jpg)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/E8345B2F-419D-45A9-B043-181AD6DEA3C9-25977-000024D17D661037.jpg)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/EA9CA90E-589B-41F9-96E7-C79A0390FCF4-25977-000024D04F35091E.jpg)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/F8BE8072-F61D-4D07-A356-FBEF78074D3D-25977-000024D0939A9D2E.jpg)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/32467B05-C16F-4B70-AF67-4A8A40342943-25977-000024D8812B8545.jpg)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/D275D677-14D7-4EC6-A944-7AF23E8DECDE-96301-00001C328037CE10.jpg)
Post Merge


Ran outta time. I'll post more pics later.
sideways_s12Jan 12, 2013, 10:59 am · #76

NIce Looking good

8SixS12Jan 13, 2013, 10:22 pm · #77

More pics:
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/469A6CE3-DFE6-4C20-A289-08FF30683D6F-25977-000024D0D06206C1.jpg)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/76C3EEBE-18AC-4196-BA93-BFCDE8F3541C-96301-00001C329BB42698.jpg)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/049C16FE-8DE0-418B-A6E8-285D6894625C-96301-00001C33F81544A2.jpg)

sideways_s12Jan 13, 2013, 10:24 pm · #78

Damn I hope my ca looks that good....

8SixS12Jan 14, 2013, 6:50 pm · #79

Thanks sideways, I hope to be putting the head on tomorrow. If so I'll be sure to post pics.

sideways_s12Jan 14, 2013, 6:52 pm · #80

Please do!

D-sport S12Jan 15, 2013, 9:31 pm · #81

What headgasket are you going with?

8SixS12Jan 16, 2013, 11:14 am · #82
D-sport S12 on 09:31:01 PM / 15-Jan-13What headgasket are you going with?
APEX'I
BabyJan 16, 2013, 7:25 pm · #83

Holy shit! That's LEGIT haha. I've always dreamed of doing this... :(

s12richJan 16, 2013, 10:35 pm · #84

may i say(in a eastern europeon accent) VERY NICE HOW MUCH!!?   ...lol awesome build :cool2:

8SixS12Jan 19, 2013, 12:01 am · #85

Alot less than some other builds that's for sure. Thanks guys.

8SixS12Jan 21, 2013, 10:54 pm · #86

Update: since the bottom end is finally together, I decided to get the IJ crank scraper/windage tray ready to go in.
First I had to disassemble it to check for clearance.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/25F90D38-F8F3-4E22-A666-19D4D37C41F3-51318-00002C35E312FB4D.jpg)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/89619BD1-AF11-48EE-830C-7E09AD2C8FB1-51318-00002C35D1BB576E.jpg)
It's supposed to be installed with 1mm of clearance. I sat it on the girdle and it needs a lot of adjustment. The cut outs for the rods might need some filing but nothing major. I'll post more pics tomorrow when I plan on getting a lot done.  I hope to be setting the head on after the upper and lower oil pans are on.

sideways_s12Jan 21, 2013, 10:55 pm · #87

what is it and whats it's purpose?

turbo-s12Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 pm · #88

i thinks its supposed to stop oil foaming and keep oil off the crank....and i think it helps with oil starvation under heavy breaking etc

8SixS12Jan 21, 2013, 11:22 pm · #89

From crank-scrapers.com:

·       Less rotating mass for the engine to accelerate because of the removed oil
·       Less loss of power because of excessive drag caused by the windage cloud
·       Helps reduce engine damaging oil-foaming
·       Helps avoid oil starvation by keeping the oil in the pan during hard braking and  turning as well as during off-road driving
·       Helps to cool critical engine parts by quickly returning heated oil to the sump
·       Helps to prevent the cylinder walls from being overloaded with oil
·       Can help with fuel efficiency
 
Theoretically these benifits will contribute to improved engine response.

turbo-s12Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 pm · #90

ehh i was kinda on track lol
Post Merge


never heard of windage cloud
8SixS12Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 pm · #91
turbo-s12 on 11:28:27 PM / 21-Jan-13ehh i was kinda on track lol
Post Merge
never heard of windage cloud
Nah bro, you were spot on.  I just wanted to add some other points from the website.
Here's an explaination of what a windage cloud is for those that are interested:
http://www.crank-scrapers.com/What%20is%20a%20crank-scraper.html
sideways_s12Jan 21, 2013, 11:52 pm · #92
8SixS12 on 11:22:33 PM / 21-Jan-13From crank-scrapers.com:

·       Less rotating mass for the engine to accelerate because of the removed oil
·       Less loss of power because of excessive drag caused by the windage cloud
·       Helps reduce engine damaging oil-foaming
·       Helps avoid oil starvation by keeping the oil in the pan during hard braking and  turning as well as during off-road driving
·       Helps to cool critical engine parts by quickly returning heated oil to the sump
·       Helps to prevent the cylinder walls from being overloaded with oil
·       Can help with fuel efficiency
 
Theoretically these benifits will contribute to improved engine response.

Thanks for the info I have never heard of this that's why I asked...Benefits sound good...
turbo-s12Jan 22, 2013, 1:20 pm · #93

Thats pretty cool...tea leaf paradox lol

8SixS12Jan 22, 2013, 5:44 pm · #94

I been trying to get the clearances right on this thing all day. I finally got it but I still need to recheck everything and then add a little loctite to the threads and button it up then I can put on the oil pump, pickup and upper / lower pans.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/5EDA58FB-3293-4440-A6B1-A7E0C1B7E802-53308-00002CDBE5ACD87E.jpg)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/00CB945F-63A4-43B4-ABAA-C824769390B7-53308-00002CDC1F5254F0.jpg)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/A525DFF5-8A33-46AB-9660-ED9C1BF63BCE-53308-00002CCFE8D5A22D.jpg)
I really want to get this part of the build done so I might get some work done while everyone's sleeping. Looks like its gonna be a long night. I'll sleep tomorrow.
Post Merge


^Yeah that went well. I once I got something to eat and a cold one, I was out like a light. Well, today's another off day so I'll be at it again.
8SixS12Jan 24, 2013, 5:42 am · #95

While I search for "free" time, I thought I'd post a little gem I came up on via eBay a couple months ago:
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/7AC191EF-B8E8-460C-9B35-6BA1673A3E35-40502-00000BE5A548468E.jpg)
Brand new in the box with installation instructions and all!
It'll go great wih the rest of the kit parts I have accumulated over the years.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/9A06B2AF-2AD3-4822-AE54-9AEE22F4CD04-40502-00000BE5C6418AF0.jpg)
Yeah, I know people are probably gonna say that's what everybody is doing but I think these cars look so much better with the SE kit.  I have all the hardware and bracing. I think one or two peices need repair but I am still on the hunt for replacements.

night_s12Jan 24, 2013, 9:45 am · #96

You lucky ass bastard!!! In box flaps ggrrrrr!!

8SixS12Jan 24, 2013, 9:30 pm · #97

I couldn't believe it either. I also couldn't believe that no one on CS12 got them before I did.

sideways_s12Jan 24, 2013, 9:42 pm · #98

Who had them?

8SixS12Jan 26, 2013, 11:34 am · #99
sideways_s12 on 09:42:24 PM / 24-Jan-13Who had them?
Some random guy on eBay. I think he had z31 in his username.
sideways_s12Jan 27, 2013, 12:56 am · #100

ahh ok