Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

what did you do to your s12 today?!

Started by Premo · Jan 25, 2008 · 2164postsSMF 2010–26

sam31183Feb 21, 2011, 10:42 am · #351

Well, I think the coolant puddles are from the heater core, so looping the hoses to the heater core to bypass it does kind of make sense until I can replace the heater core. Just means no heat for awhile. :(


Post Merge: 01:36:48 PM / 21-Feb-11
I checked the radiator earlier and it was low...the overflow wasnt though. I filled up the rad then turned on the car and let it run while i filled up the rad. Once the rad stopped getting low I turned the heater on in the car and I had heat. I drove the car up the street some and then back home and the temp stayed normal. I checked the rad a minute ago and it still has fluid in it. The way the previous owner routed the heater hoses is kind of dumb and it looks like one of the hoses is kinked a bit. This could be causing the heater core maybe to be getting weird pressure maybe. Also the heater core could be on its way out too. I used to check the rad a bit more often and have to put a small amount of fluid in it...but i have just been checking my overflow lately....I think I need to fix how the hoses are routed and just keep an eye on things in case the heater core is toast...
Wolf DilworthFeb 21, 2011, 9:52 pm · #352

If the heater core is toast and leaks the fluid will seep under your carpet and you will prolly smell coolant too.  If the leak is right at the hose connection then it may drip outside the car but that would prolly not be the core's fault, check the core nipples for damage and always use fresh ho's,  used ho's are always loose and or leaky...

Peace, Wolf  /\/\
                  **
                  \~/

heithFeb 21, 2011, 10:02 pm · #353

plumbed in and ducted in the oilcooler. redid some vacuum lines.  all i can do is just sit and wait for my coolant pipe to come in

sam31183Feb 21, 2011, 10:12 pm · #354

I have no carpet. There is fluid on the floor, doesn't appear to be any outside the cabin. I think its a slow leak, but a new core is on its way. I take it the dash has to come out to get to heater core though....going to autox this weekend and just keep an eye on my temps and check my rad frequently.

Wolf DilworthFeb 21, 2011, 10:43 pm · #355
sam31183 on 10:12:25 PM / 21-Feb-11 I take it the dash has to come out to get to heater core though...

I believe you are correct sir.  Bummerz.
ProlowtoneFeb 21, 2011, 10:51 pm · #356

Bought Valve stem seal, checked the torque of my valves, pulled a burned out light from my cluster.

Not s12 work but it relates to stuff being done to get it in my garage.
My Jeep: Oil change, filter, replacing oil pump, try to fix the heater, need to do NSS as its only starting in neutral and not park now. Dont need it to fail and have my mom stuck somewhere
Moms BFs truck: Needs new clutch pedal assembly due to a tear about 3/4 across the mounting plate causing it to twist and not fully engage the clutch, Aircare, insurance.

:Update, oil pan has 28 F**King bolts/studs

sam31183Feb 21, 2011, 10:55 pm · #357
Wolf Dilworth on 10:43:06 PM / 21-Feb-11I believe you are correct sir.  Bummerz.

Bah!
methylpropFeb 23, 2011, 9:22 am · #358

Yesterday I got a header for my ka24de swap.

DjayS12Feb 23, 2011, 10:07 am · #359

Sam31183: If it's your KA engine keep an eye on your temp gauge. I blewed a head gasket last year because I didn't bled the heater core properly (and had a bad temp gauge so didn't see the temp raising). I checked after in my 240sx fsm and they say to crack open the upper heater core line until there is no bubble coming out of it when you change the coolant, or the engine will overheat.

Just though I'll share that so you don't blow a hg like I did.

Colonel GustardFeb 23, 2011, 11:24 am · #360

i finally blew the tranny on my s12, battery was dead and i tried to bump start it. heard clunk clunk clunk, and the a big POP. tried turning around to go back home but the car wont move at all, it will go a little bit and the trans will lock up, yay me

sam31183Feb 23, 2011, 1:08 pm · #361
DjayS12 on 10:07:29 AM / 23-Feb-11Sam31183: If it's your KA engine keep an eye on your temp gauge. I blewed a head gasket last year because I didn't bled the heater core properly (and had a bad temp gauge so didn't see the temp raising). I checked after in my 240sx fsm and they say to crack open the upper heater core line until there is no bubble coming out of it when you change the coolant, or the engine will overheat.

Just though I'll share that so you don't blow a hg like I did.


The temp got below the last dash line on my temp gauge...highest I had ever see it go before was half temp. I remember jay telling me he like lets his temp go to like 3/4 before he turns his fans on. Car has no over heating problems since i filled the rad back up. I havent had any power problems or anything and my oil looks fine...so i think my hg is fine...thank god.
sam31183Feb 24, 2011, 5:35 pm · #362

Today I made it to work...

(http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180406_10150402353930387_695415386_17371420_7286743_n.jpg)

(http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183054_10150402426175387_695415386_17371790_2074672_n.jpg)

I know its a "light dusting" but i never get snow at the beach so you guys can suck it!

JayFeb 24, 2011, 5:48 pm · #363

My fans are automatic, and have been since the CA20... I took the hood off when I hit the 3/4 mark and forced my fans to stay on by grounding out the relay...
Fan one just over half, fan two at just under 3/4, hood off anything over.

Am I ever worried about overheating the KA though? no... It's tough to blow a headgasket in a KA. REALLY tough... It would take some serious negligence on my part, and then it would be my fault and not the engines

And Edit.
That may be a dusting. But that's what I define as a "Fun dusting". Just enough to have an absolute riot

RedneckFeb 24, 2011, 6:36 pm · #364
sam31183 on 05:35:02 PM / 24-Feb-11I know its a "light dusting" but i never get snow at the beach so you guys can suck it!

Hahaha. We got about 2 or 3 inches up here. It is all melting now though.
backwoodsbuilderFeb 24, 2011, 7:22 pm · #365

Snuck the car into garage 2day got it warmed up seeing how were getting snow tonight and 2marrow now's a good time to wrench on it lol.
well  out to the garage till morning lol!

Colonel GustardFeb 24, 2011, 8:23 pm · #366

closed the sunroof because its going to rain..... thats all

sam31183Feb 24, 2011, 8:42 pm · #367

I went over to my dads to see if my 2 snow tires on s13 7 spokes hold air or not. They did...I then went to my brothers work (grocery store) and proceeded to swap out my rears. Tonight is supposed to be worse and I need to be at work around 530 am. Autox this weekend...haha, yah, ok. :D

backwoodsbuilderFeb 25, 2011, 12:22 am · #368

Chillin then to bed just got in from garage pic says it all lol (http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/mje7/SDC10007.jpg)   :yes:
ca out and  engine bay cleaning soon any good easy tips for cleaning bay?

newby200sxFeb 25, 2011, 12:39 am · #369

Yea man use some mean degreaser man. Power purple is a great degreaser than just wash it down. You gonna paint the bay?

heithFeb 25, 2011, 12:52 am · #370

i had a friend who thought brake clean and breke fluid were the same thing so he used my 4 liter jug of brake fluid to clean his engine bay.
i did not know what to say

newby200sxFeb 25, 2011, 12:55 am · #371

Oh wow that's a lot brake cleaner is alright I guess starts the job but doesn't finish it

backwoodsbuilderFeb 25, 2011, 1:04 am · #372

no im not painting i think its really going to clean up good if not i might paint idk what color tho lol.
^ that sux lol

Wolf DilworthFeb 25, 2011, 1:38 am · #373

Installed the "New" MK I tails today, likin the new look.

(http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/wingnut510/Nissan%20S-12%20Project/MKITailsatNightNolights.jpg)
(http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/wingnut510/Nissan%20S-12%20Project/MKITailsatNight.jpg)

ProlowtoneFeb 25, 2011, 6:48 am · #374

Took my ca close to redline after i warmed it up, Wanted to see if a huge cloud of smoke would float over my roof. It actually sounded good, Surprised the hell out of my friend and his dad as they thought i was going to blow it up (Big loss eh..) Also put some new lights in my dash

sam31183Feb 25, 2011, 8:36 am · #375

No snow on the roads this morning, just ice. Studded snow tires on the back where win all over the place, and I was still able to do some 10mph drifting, just needed to give her a bit more gas. Shit was fun. :).

EightySix200SXFeb 26, 2011, 12:55 am · #376

drove it... some chick said she liked the way it sat :).... got her # and bounced out

sam31183Feb 26, 2011, 9:49 am · #377

by bounced it you mean that ass?

Colonel GustardFeb 26, 2011, 12:06 pm · #378
EightySix200SX on 12:55:08 AM / 26-Feb-11drove it... some chick said she liked the way it sat :).... got her # and bounced out
who said chicks dont dig s12's
sam31183Feb 26, 2011, 2:27 pm · #379

Autoxing in the cold with slicks on...cant get em warmed up. Beat the crap out of the car this morning and she is taking it like a champ.

sideways_s12Mar 1, 2011, 2:02 pm · #380

hopefully will be swapping mani's fixing exhaust leak and installing the ss oil line I have along with fixing the coolant leak....

Justin BannerMar 1, 2011, 3:02 pm · #381

I took the CA20E engine and transmission out Sunday. Now, I have to figure out how to get the bolts off the pinion flange so I can get the driveshaft off and send it off to get a one piece made.

heithMar 1, 2011, 5:22 pm · #382

made my strut tower bar and attached all the factory body kit

sideways_s12Mar 1, 2011, 5:28 pm · #383

Just got back from the yard found a complete se s12 I snatched the speedo cables and hatch window lever wish I could of gotten the bumper but didn't have enough money :(

Colonel GustardMar 1, 2011, 6:13 pm · #384

an SE?!?! oh shit man, i thought they didnt exist there

D-sport S12Mar 2, 2011, 8:45 pm · #385

finally mounted my seat. Still need to mod the mounts as the seat needs to go lower. Now off to finish painting the engine bay

MaxpowMar 2, 2011, 8:46 pm · #386

Sat in her carcass and toked a bowl.

BoostedVGMar 2, 2011, 9:20 pm · #387
Maxpow on 08:46:13 PM / 02-Mar-11Sat in her carcass and toked a bowl.
Amen to that
Colonel GustardMar 2, 2011, 9:55 pm · #388

i brough one of her long lost brothers for a mini family reunion

sam31183Mar 2, 2011, 9:59 pm · #389

Took my hoshinos out of my trunk and bought new tires online for the back...

ProlowtoneMar 3, 2011, 2:21 am · #390

Got my motor, bought a sub amp and capasitor, got my FMIC.

heithMar 3, 2011, 7:50 am · #391

installed my walbro fuel pump

SC S12Mar 4, 2011, 8:46 pm · #392

Getting Ready for a rear Brake Job.
New Calipers, strip of oil and Painted to keep em from rustin (red is rice, but rust aint nice)
Got Some ceramic pads to keep the bad metal dust down.

Check out the Trucks water pump eek, the previous owners killed it.

(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12903894/DSCF5148.JPG)
(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12903894/DSCF5146.JPG)
(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12903894/DSCF5141.JPG)

newby200sxMar 4, 2011, 9:30 pm · #393

Went outside talked to it and promised her a lot of stuff lol

Wolf DilworthMar 4, 2011, 10:17 pm · #394

Drove her hard and put away wet...  First time in a while, I have been babying her lately.  There is a nice little corner (the lower road in the link) I like to take every once in a while, when there are very few cars to bother me.  Highway is 70 mph, Corner is marked 35 mph but I can take it at 60-65 easy, with tire to spare and then there is a nice little S return right after, fun...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=30.175164,-97.888248&spn=0.006261,0.009645&z=17

ProlowtoneMar 5, 2011, 2:33 am · #395

cleaned creases of the plastic panels with a needle like object. Looks a bit cleaner, gonna take awhile.

ArroMar 5, 2011, 3:28 am · #396

Changed the wheels.... took off the Celica Supra 14x7's to put them on.....???

Colonel GustardMar 5, 2011, 11:46 am · #397

pulled the tranny off the pedo and put in a newer clutch and pressure plate, also bought some Royal Purple gear oil for the new trans in hopes of it lasting forever, tranny going in today

red87200Mar 5, 2011, 2:29 pm · #398

got my timing set and finally got it started for the first time since owning it!!!

backwoodsbuilderMar 5, 2011, 2:38 pm · #399

pressure washed engine bay,set hood on an pushed to side.Pulled mk1 in garage,got radiator/covor/fan/lines/air box,hood pulled working on the F$%#ing ex mani ugh!! try to have motor pulled tonight

Colonel GustardMar 5, 2011, 3:33 pm · #400

got the tranny in with new clutch. now need to swap in diff and shes ready for the road again