Figured out the issue with the over heating problem. Turns out my radiator was the cause as stated on some z31 forums that had the same problem and even tho there is free flow in the radiator when flushed, some of the cores might be blocked. So I had like 3 CA Radiators, so I picked up the cleaner looking one and installed it since it was the same height and width only difference is I now have an extra radiator cap.
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Project: Fairlady Silvia - 1987 200sx SEv6...
I'm also running a radiator that has a cap in addition to the stock one on the water neck. You should plug the coolant recovery fitting on the radiator's filler neck so it can't suck in air as the engine cools. I also run a higher pressure cap on the radiator to insure my 'upper' cap does all the work.
Did so on both actually. Just oddly enough I had a radiator with a higher pressure rating cap just sitting in the garage. So I plugged on up with a short hose, spare screw that I stripped and a hose clamp. Was working like a champ last night after I drove it around.
High Quality pics on a legit host, since I attempted to be lazy and used facebook and realized that they use a dynamic url crap,
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-04-27%2021.27.45.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-04-27%2021.37.24.jpg)
All Wired up directly to the thermoswitch on the radiator. Ironically I could never find the plug for it, and it kicked on around the 180 mark so as long as it rules out the blown headgasket problem that I do not have I am happy and with another test tomorrow will show if I will be participating in the drift event sunday or not.
Well installed a manual switch due to the thermoswitch is broken after all, so went forward with my testing and decided to use the blocktester again.
This time the block tester fluid turned blue green.... from solid crystal blue... So in essence this VG has a blown head gasket, I just ordered a new set will be ripping apart the head this weekend.
Here is the start of the disassemble
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-01%2019.13.11.jpg)
Previous owner stripped the inside the bolt and somehow it also filled with ash inside, not sure why. I was in the middle of why wont the upper intake remove as the bolt was stripped it felt like there was no bolt in that area
as it was not a surprised as the original owner kinda ghetto things back together. So I attempted to drill it out and snapped the head off instead.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-01%2023.42.09.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-01%2023.42.28.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-01%2023.43.01.jpg)
More of the upper intake mani removed, as I have noticed this guy liked to over do the gasket sealer on everything.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-01%2023.43.11.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-01%2023.43.31.jpg)
Cleaned up some other stuff and got right down to the lower intake mani fold, this was a bitch to remove due to the posts are very corroded to a point of almost unable to fully remove it.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2012.04.47.jpg)
Carefully I was able to remove it, and noticed this LIM gasket is hosed badly. This is my issue.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2012.59.40.jpg)
In the air she must go as I will continue with the headgasket removal.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2016.17.41.jpg)
Exhaust leak finally found the reason, as it was missing 3 / 6 bolts on the driver side and the gaskets on both sides are torn into 3 pieces.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2016.35.20.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2018.07.38.jpg)
After all of that, the head gasket was good after all.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2018.59.07.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2018.59.45.jpg)
So I will not let this rebuild be of any waste.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-02%2018.59.21.jpg)
Shafts are going to get the regrind at Schneider Racing,
After some research I am going with the following regrind;
http://schneidercams.com/264H_VG30.aspx
And I am going for some
(http://www.z31parts.com/images/russgears.jpg)
lol at the gasket sealer blocking part of the intake runners. extra performance just from cleaning all that out. bummer about the thermoswitch. I HIGHY recommend hitting the junkyard and grabbing another one. lots of nissans of the age have them.
Yeah, I'll pick up one later or 2 or just order 1 from rockauto for 3 bucks. In the mean time I will be doing alot of cleaning as I wait for the cams sprockets and shafts to return, I might wire up the external fuel pump and disable the internal for the carb conversion.
very interested to see pics of that
Shouldn't be too hard actually, I just need to cut and relocate the wiring just for the pos and neg wires to the external.
I am rocking the
http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-Electric-Fuel-Pumps/745123/10002/-1?itemPerPage=90&pno=1
Red Standard one, 7psi is all I need and no need for a regulator. Just need to figure out which line is the sending line and add more hose, There is a perfect mounting spot for it.
(http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/510128011.jpg)
And I believe, IIRC, David is running the same one in a 510. I think or it might be another carb setup I have seen.
I am actually excited on this build, because if my calculations are correct the cam shafts should produce the low RPM torque that I lack, the gears should be great for the timing application with adv and retard the timing and the carb should eliminate my wiring problems with the current setup.
In the future timing I do plan on rolling a high compression VG33 and plant what I do here on to that setup.
Camshafts are sent to Schneider Racing Cams, and Cam gears are sent to Russ Cam Gears.
Will be pulling the lower half of the block to re-ring and hone the block this week.
Pulling block shortly this weekend to hone and re-ring.
Cams and Gears will be in and modified :-D I have everything else handy I am still deciding to hang loose on this one and do the HEI retrofit mod in which I might need to pick up a dizzy from a vg hardbody or pathfinder for that.
Mod seems hella easy todo. Doing so I will be able to get this beast started quickly. It will be a fun and insane project and a taboo for alot of people! but will be fun,
I have the internal to external fuel pump wiring ready as well, and a place to mount it and disable the inline fuel pump.
Another Carb'd VG found with the DUI. Dizzy HEI fit for only the vg30
https://www.facebook.com/Enrique.the.Awsome/videos/10154014953060961/
One of the many mods getting installed.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-21%2018.35.26.jpg)
Pulled the block out of the car, and pressure washed the fuck out of it due to 2inch thick black oily tarish like virus substance that wouldn't just wipe away at one point I thought it was an Ambient and I was going to be a real life Venom but na...
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-17%2014.37.53.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-18%2019.41.42.jpg)
Also did a full re-ring on the block.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-20%2019.13.02.jpg)
Finally finished up with the re-ring process and honing was successful. I am still waiting for another rock auto order and my Schneider Racing Camshafts. Also ordered some stubby engine mounts from ASCO to lower the process of the engine when it is mounted this will help clear the air cleaner with the hood.
Looking good! Hows the widow doing?
Frustrating... lol, she doesn't like nistune at all and rejecting it.
Really? Why
Nistune is being mean... more I tune it more it doesn't like it.
Damn that sux wish I would of known...
It's ok, I am sure it is something stupid, just frustrating that is all.
Most likely....
It was replaced with the rebuild maybe it went out again?
Perhaps,
Now I am getting rained with vg30 parts it is time to finish that up and then I will continue on her afterwords.
Awesome!
Yeah, still waiting for my schneider cams to come in, he didn't give me a shipping eta / tracking number. All I know he shipped it...
Well the build is on, first I have created.
Puck Style motor mounts.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-05-31%2019.31.06.jpg)
Here is an old motor mount common problems vs the puck.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-01%2019.11.10.jpg)
Next is this time removing the bumper so I can properly install the motor with out fitment issues with the puller and installing.
The original owner, who claims he owned the car since the 90's
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-02%2020.06.12.jpg)
Posted on the first few posts of this build thread.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-02%2020.10.10.jpg)
That fitment is nice, as I was going to go a head and reinstall the block I was approached by my neighbor....
And they gave me this box.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-02%2020.42.40.jpg)
No sleep till I can fire he back up.
Well, it is in.
Here is some progression pictures.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-06%2021.37.13.jpg)
^ I forgot to add in the rear shield.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-07%2014.38.46.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-07%2017.27.44.jpg)
Now belt is on, head is torqued to spec, rocker arms and solid lifters all snug into place.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-07%2019.01.03.jpg)
How she sits by the end of the day.
WOW!!! It's going to happen, it really is going happen!
So some more updates.
As we all know, the engine is in, belts are on with timing direct at TDC. Bolted up the starter and the transmission all snug into place.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-11%2021.48.14.jpg)
So off to the most important thing to this project. The carb cannot handle 30+ psi fuel, so I need to tone is down to around 5-10psi. So doing so I picked up this Red Holley that does around 7psi, and some research it is best to remove the old pump and there is no return fuel line so it must go.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2020.19.30.jpg)
Removed the SEv6 stock pump.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2020.19.42.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2020.19.51.jpg)
Since the return line is a direct line down as the same size as the pump was I will be using that line instead and capping off the fuel line itself then crossing that outside the where the rubber hoses meet the brass lines.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2020.37.15.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2021.59.44.jpg)
Next is the wiring, obviously we can tell which is power and ground just follow the leads from the pump to the wiring harness.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2021.58.08.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2021.58.23.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2021.58.32.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-06-12%2021.58.36.jpg)
Nice work!
Bit of an update, I got the exhaust on. The intake I had to Helicoil the driver side head but I was able to torque down to spec the hole but expected if I need to pull the intake anytime soon I will have to redo that hole again. This is due to the bolt snapped when removing the intake bolt just by breathing on it... Exhaust I found 3 out of 6 with jimmied exhaust studs as the would wobble when I move them, when I backed them out they had 1/8 of an inch of thread as it was also snapped inside from the previous owner. I almost want to pull the head back off and just bring it to a machine shop to mill the holes back, one of the exhaust studs was missing due to the stud snapped inside and the previous owner attempted to drill it out but failed at doing so, I was able to drill out most of the stud, was able to tap it and set in another stud with no issues at all. I have the exhaust sitting perfect on the driver side now with only 4/6 studs usable.
Waiting for my 1inch adapter for the carb to come in, also waiting for my valve covers to be finished painted by my brother. In the mean time I am able to reinstall other stuff, such as the exhaust Y pipe, Radiator, eFans, new thermoswitch and relocated and mounted the MSD Blaster 2 coil.
Now to my delima is the distributor, since the advance is not mechanical nor vacuum. I have to find a solution, seems to me I have a few choices.
1) I Can just order an DUI Performance Dizzy, they make a GM HEI that bolts right up.
2) MSD 6AL-2 6530 and program it to force the efi dizzy to be always advanced style dizzy
3) I can locate a 6cyl GM HEI dizzy chop and weld the shafts
4) Find the almost impossible to find Saudi Dizzy....
At this point 1&2 are nearly the same price, MSD is about 375 with shipping around 400, DUI is about 450 with shipping and guaranteed to run. While the MSD is a bit confusing at this point since the EFI harness is what connects the dizzy.
if I could find #4 it would be about the same as #1 as the going rate if not more and 3 is just dumb technically...
So in the mean time I might have to wait till next paycheck to order an DUI Dizzy thus I will also miss out on the nite drift sesh on the 19th that I wanted to do But I do want to do things right so missing another drift night would be worth it or atleast I hope so with my theory this will perform much better sideways, then it did stock form with a blown intake mani, exhaust leaks and leaky injectors. In theory my power band should start around 1k rpm and climb from there doing so I should be able to also pick up a 2step rev limiter msd 6AL-2 the cheaper version just to have a launch control and keep it safe from destroying the bottle half.
When I have her started, first thing I will do is tune it to get the wideband readings like I wanted, then find a dyno to fine tune it a little more and get the power rating. Then a few runs down the 1/4 mile before I head to San Diego with her on August 1st.
I just read the description of the DUI dizzy on their website. sounds super awesome and worth it
Yep, about as much as I want to get some seat time, I will just have to wait. I will be ordering an DUI hopefully by the 17th, by then I should have most of the car back together and fuel lines tested, other stuff tested as well so all I have to do is align the dizzy and start it up.
Cant wait to hear this thing
In theory with my test pipe and all it should have this sound https://www.facebook.com/Enrique.the.Awsome/videos/10154014953060961/
Thats wicked sounding.....
Well here is more progression.
For the fuel pump, I cannot run it as if it was an KA24 fuel pump as the efi still wants to control it and always on even with the key is off is no good since MK2 is a always on power source.
So I need a power source that is on with a key on situation. With a little help I tied directly into the fuse panel for testing with the rear wiper blades and doing so the key on gave me a working pump with out blowing a fuse as I figured it wouldn't because the Fuel pump only needs a 7amp fuse.
It's been stormy the past few days but I got my valve covers back and went a head and installed them and starting to attach more hoses and other things in the bay.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-07%2020.37.47.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-07%2020.38.29.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-07%2020.44.59.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-07%2020.46.17.jpg)
With all the EFI gone, I can nearly fit the turbo exhaust manifold now.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-07%2020.50.55.jpg)
Looks good!
After many many man hours all to myself. Finally finished with the underside of things.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-12%2017.23.57.jpg)
Wideband was installed and secured ready to be plugged in, Still need to finish up the front end stuff with the bumper, finish the wiring and remove the ecu and wiring harness since they will not be used anymore. Unless I buy another VG and convert the red shell I have into an MK1.5 SEv6 after I rebuild the wiring harness.
I still need the $$$ to order the dizzy from DUI Performance Distributors since I get paid this friday, mean time I am also locking down the rest of the car.
Fuel Pump wiring I need to finish, and a few other wiring messes.
More progress is I directly wired in to the rear wiper blade on the fuse panel, I will be adding in another fuse behind it to help protect the wiring. But I needed a key on solution for the fuel pump since the mk2 cars are full power all the time and controlled by the ecu as stated before so I finalized the wiring for it.
During the week I only have like 2 hours to work on the car per day so I try to accomplish something in that time. Next update will be more wiring
I had a real bad case of butter fingers, I dropped the 12v consistent to a ground wire and caused a big spark and fried the 12v line that was the original 12v wire to the fuel pump. Now I lost complete power to that line traced it back to the fuse panel and the fuse is good and I have power at the fuse panel.
So now I need to rip out the interior and trace where the wire might have burned up at and replace it as of now I do not have power to the fuel pump any longer.
Post Merge
Figured out the wiring snafu, turns out a burnt wire near the shock tower where it Y into 1 piece so I have proceeded with this guide for wiring up a holley fuel pump.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/wiringguide.jpg)
It's loud but it is given as it is supposed to be loud.
Tonight I Will most likely start removing the ecu and wiring harness.
Well after a long road I finished removing the ecu & wiring harness, fixed other stuff.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-21%2020.20.32.jpg)
FIlled it up full of water and cleared up any leaks in the cooling system.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2015-07-23%2020.41.33.jpg)
Next will be Oil and the dizzy when it comes in.
Wonderingraven on 11:56:49 AM / 20-Jul-15.
.
.
It's loud but it is given as it is supposed to be loud.
.
.
.
I thought it would be fairly loud mounted there. I know the Holley knockoff on my T/A is quite a bit louder than expected. The previous one I had was muted quite a bit with some rubber isolators. I am going to rig something similar for the new pump. It makes a big difference.
yeah, I was going to see if there was an isolator or something I can use. I wished before I spliced into the fuel sending unit that I could of switched it out with my daily first since my daily has a glitchy fuel sending unit.
I read that they also make a quiet pump now, But I don't think it will matter much since I have loud exhaust with a test pipe.
Jesus, still don't have your distributor? That's fucked up, it's been forever since you ordered that thing.
Pushing 3 weeks now.
DUI Performance Distributors seems to be not forth coming how they do business, but I did get a response back last Monday about them saying my dizzy should be shipped out Wednesday. Hopefully this turns out good as people claim it has been.
I did a small walk around with the current setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLhu0SLbICz5V_Yg4SmuwVUbLYVdt61V4f&feature=player_detailpage&v=JFmjkuJ3bJc
0/10 would not do business.
Also, vertical video? Seriously? Come on, you're better than that.
phone went derp mode... I'll get a better more detailed video tonight / this weekend.
https://youtu.be/l1M7yfvPKHY
Much better.