Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

My Build Story...The 12welve gets some Luv! (Project High Response)

Started by 8SixS12 · Oct 27, 2012 · 255postsSMF 2010–26

D-sport S12May 6, 2015, 11:34 pm · #201

Glad to see you got it back in the garage. Can't wait to see some progress

8SixS12May 9, 2015, 9:41 am · #202
IggyEGuana on 09:05:47 PM / 05-May-15awesome! saw your post on FB. nice to put a face with a club s12 name

Yeah, If I could I would just change my screen name to my real name on here. Not really feeling the whole S12 in the name thing anymore.  Oh well, it is what it is.
Post Merge
Thanks Guys!  I'm Itching to get back to work on it. I'm gonna have to back track a little on some of the prep because the car was sitting so long but it shouldn't take to long. I'm just gonna have to commit an hour or two every night or so to get this thing done!
8SixS12May 20, 2015, 10:45 pm · #203

Decided to take off the upper and lower pans tonight to fix a problem I've been putting off.  I ended up going too far into the upper pan when I had to drill a hole for a helicoil and over compensated when I was putting the motor together. Instead I found a puddle of assembly lube at the bottom of the engine bag.

I'm not sure where it's coming from so I didn't want to pull anything off yet until I find the leak. I cleaned it off and hopefully I'll get a drip tomorrow from wherever the problem is. It's pretty odd since the pan is brand new. Thought it might have been that lower pan bolt hole I made for the helicoil but there wasn't any oil around the bolt holes. I still want to get that hole welded up to avoid any stupid leaks later on.

In other news, it looks like I'm gonna have some touch up to do in the engine bay. It looks like crap from sitting outside for a couple months. Note to self; Rust bullet does not like rain.

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/1243D791-6AD4-4994-BF0E-E2B1AA048106.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/1243D791-6AD4-4994-BF0E-E2B1AA048106.jpg.html)

The finish is pitting in some areas and its driving me crazy so I thought about trying to match up the rust bullet and rattle can the whole thing because Rust bullet ain't cheap! Besides I just want this done already and I'm not about to set up another makeshift paint both again. I don't know though I may end up getting a pint of RB and use a brush for the touch up. Who knows I'm tired.
Anyway I'm waiting for some more goodies to come in the mail. I'll update when they get in and hopefully I will have figured out where this assembly oil is coming from.

Modulus TwoMay 21, 2015, 8:16 am · #204

That bay is looking great!
I'm thinking of doing something similar in the winter time.
I just want to get the engine in and running right now while there's still some summer left to drive.

8SixS12May 22, 2015, 12:46 pm · #205

Thanks Modulus! I'm a perfectionist which is probably why this build is taking so long.

Turns out the assembly lube was in the bottom of the bag when the valve cover was off, etc. dodged a bullet!

8SixS12May 26, 2015, 5:33 am · #206

Got a few more goodies from the UPS guy on Friday. Not really neccecites, these were more "wants" than anything else. Although I guess they do serve their own purpose.

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/D33F668E-9A55-403E-A2AF-8D30282B6DB9.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/D33F668E-9A55-403E-A2AF-8D30282B6DB9.jpg.html)

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/7208A3FE-917D-400F-B583-C6BC0FBAD223.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/7208A3FE-917D-400F-B583-C6BC0FBAD223.jpg.html)

After all, I sell performance parts for a living. I can't have some pink ricer kid come to one of my cruise ins and show me up lol!

D-sport S12May 26, 2015, 11:40 am · #207

Those circuit sports lines look pretty good. Never realized they were crimp in fittings

8SixS12May 26, 2015, 3:53 pm · #208
D-sport S12 on 11:40:15 AM / 26-May-15Those circuit sports lines look pretty good. Never realized they were crimp in fittings

That's one of the reasons I picked this kit. I figured the crimps would be a lot better than my ability to assemble my own hoses. The spin-on adapter kinda makes me a little uneasy. I would have preferred a Tomei style block.  I haven't heard of any horror stories so we'll see. The hoses in this kit  kinda deviate from the color scheme of my other ones on my engine but it is what it is.  Function over form right?...most of the time anyway.
8SixS12Jun 2, 2015, 10:18 am · #209

Installed my bling yesterday...
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/4D239D36-A2A4-495D-944B-20E4AAF300A7.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/4D239D36-A2A4-495D-944B-20E4AAF300A7.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/D26CA4E6-7B84-4F8C-B2EC-49946196D71D.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/D26CA4E6-7B84-4F8C-B2EC-49946196D71D.jpg.html)

Unfortunately that's all I had time for.

D-sport S12Jun 2, 2015, 5:07 pm · #210

As long as you keep chipping away at the to do list

8SixS12Jul 13, 2015, 10:44 am · #211

Finally put my tools in some type of order.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/F51D5A99-0B9E-4478-91EC-2AC15A013EBF.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/F51D5A99-0B9E-4478-91EC-2AC15A013EBF.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/501B059E-FAE8-40E6-BE0F-487C76009E12.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/501B059E-FAE8-40E6-BE0F-487C76009E12.jpg.html)
Wasting time trying to find the right tool was killing my productivity.
Post Merge


Set up the old desktop in my shop area to make accessing Sterling's swap guide a lot easier haha!
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/46658BE9-5C29-428B-B996-906A42DDA48A.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/46658BE9-5C29-428B-B996-906A42DDA48A.jpg.html)

And picked up some colored wire for the harness extension. I was about to just get some trailer wiring, but this kit was about $5 more on eBay. Figured the colors would make things easier. I've been debating some level of tuck to clean up the wiring clutter but that'll take way too long. I'll probably just do what Sterling did to Arro's and leave it at that.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/8F859CFB-87B5-4C1B-9FB8-C71CADC68059.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/8F859CFB-87B5-4C1B-9FB8-C71CADC68059.jpg.html)
Post Merge
The wife and kid will be out of town next week so I should be able to get a lot done after I get off work.
8SixS12Oct 5, 2015, 1:45 pm · #212

I finally made a little time today to get started on a couple of things that have been bothering me. A hole I made accidentally when installing a heli coil in the upper oil pan is hopefully sorted. Then I managed to tweak my lower pan trying to free it. I hammered it back as best I could so hopefully I didn't create another potential leak.

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/F511D3AF-1E80-4C9B-9D5D-0646B465EA7C.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/F511D3AF-1E80-4C9B-9D5D-0646B465EA7C.jpg.html)

That hole on the bottom right shouldn't go all the way through so I patched it.

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/FED23901-8D09-40EA-9483-30C177AE3009.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/FED23901-8D09-40EA-9483-30C177AE3009.jpg.html)
Post Merge


I got bored with the technical bits so I decided to test fit my steering wheel.

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/Mobile%20Uploads/5FE8C9ED-1393-4A29-AC10-DD77CB6C3B67.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5FE8C9ED-1393-4A29-AC10-DD77CB6C3B67.jpg.html)

It's got this cool removable center garnish.

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/Mobile%20Uploads/3AE9C04A-13B2-4B1E-B3C0-44EF2815D621.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3AE9C04A-13B2-4B1E-B3C0-44EF2815D621.jpg.html)

Post Merge
In the move my engine mounts came up missing. So it looks like new mounts are in my future. So tired of dropping unnecessary cash on this project. I don't mind buying things I want (those rare times when I have extra cash) but buying basic stuff twice sux! It's really starting to get annoying. I just want to drive my car already! I gotta move my ass on this before I
loose interest.

Anybody ever use JGS tools mounts? KA and SR mounts are exactly the same right? And why are these places online selling OEM style KA mounts with the same part number for the left and right? I always thought L/R were slightly different.
D-sport S12Oct 5, 2015, 8:51 pm · #213

Ka/sr are the same. I have s13 cs mounts in mine

SchizophrenicMCOct 5, 2015, 9:18 pm · #214

Like D-sport said, KA and SR mounts are identical, both to each other, and with respect to left and right, which is why both engines are slightly tilted in the engine bay. CA mounts are slightly different, and aren't strictly compatible with KA/SR mounts. Which is why the CA is slightly tilted in the engine bay.

Nissan, it seems, isn't a fan of level engines.

8SixS12Oct 6, 2015, 11:21 am · #215

When I put the first set on the cross member I just matched them up by the engraved markings. That's what made me think there was a slight difference. I thought  one side had more rubber that the other. But if they're the same then any mounts for a KA should be fine left or right are interchangeable then? I just need something. I don't really want solids or polys. This is a second DD and the wife will drive it too so I'm considering getting some oems off ebay or the rubber version of these toward the bottom of the page: 

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/mms.jpg

What do guys think?

SchizophrenicMCOct 6, 2015, 9:15 pm · #216

Just get the Nismo KA/SR mounts. They're the product of actual materials engineering, which makes them simultaneously stiff against engine torque and soft against engine vibration. Most engine mounts, you get one or the other, because that's not a mechanical design problem, it's a chemical design problem, and small aftermarket companies don't have the budgets to do materials engineering.

sideways_s12Oct 7, 2015, 12:41 am · #217

only thing I don't like is the steering wheel. Not a fan of the wood grain look in our cars, but that's just me! Keep pushing dude you'll get there!

8SixS12Oct 8, 2015, 9:36 am · #218

Thanks Bro. The steering wheel is sort of a sentimental thing. Good to see you're still around Sideways!  You still have the CA18DET?
 SchizophrenicMC, I'm gonna quit whining and get some NISMO mounts. They're actually cheaper than new OEMs.

sideways_s12Oct 8, 2015, 5:10 pm · #219

Wondering has my old car but i have another one lined up with an 18det!

8SixS12Oct 8, 2015, 5:20 pm · #220
sideways_s12 on 05:10:28 PM / 08-Oct-15Wondering has my old car but i have another one lined up with an 18det!
Sweet! Can't wait to see it.
Cajun1guyOct 8, 2015, 10:39 pm · #221

Great to hear Sideways! I knew you would get back on track. How's the little lady doing? In good health we hope!

sideways_s12Oct 11, 2015, 2:33 pm · #222

She doing better than she was, Thanks for asking!

8SixS12Dec 31, 2015, 1:32 pm · #223

Ok back again. This time with more than enough time on my hands since I got laid off from work. In the meantime I've managed to get the engine mounts in place for the second time since my old mounts came up missing in the move so I ended up getting some Nismos a few months ago.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/FD3AAF98-4A4E-4203-BD7A-EC011A1FCFB1_1.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/FD3AAF98-4A4E-4203-BD7A-EC011A1FCFB1_1.jpg.html)

Next I just need to get the oil pan back on and finally get down to harbor freight to pick up my engine hoist. Clutch, flywheel, mate the tranny and then I can set the engine into place. It's on!

8SixS12Feb 1, 2016, 7:33 am · #224

Well, I got the oil pan all buttoned up and decided to clean up the firewall with some new brake line clips. The dealer could only source a couple of them (most are no longer available). The ones pictures are from the s13 or s14 and were referenced from old s12 part numbers. They don't fit perfectly like the original clips but they work. Notice that they only have provisions for three lines instead of four. The fourth line being the evap canister which I think I will relocate elsewhere in the engine bay without the OEM hardline. I still need to replace a couple more clips on the frame rail that lead to the front calipers.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/54D7C93D-3690-4EEC-BA17-E15BA6CEC471.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/54D7C93D-3690-4EEC-BA17-E15BA6CEC471.jpg.html)
Post Merge


While the engine is still out, I replaced the factory power steering high pressure hard line and hose with a steel 14x1.5mm adapter to 6AN line. This will mate up to a -6 banjo bolt on the PS pump. This saves me from having to worry about what line to use on the SR pump and it looks cleaner too.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/15C8F876-7FAF-481F-A0CF-9FBC064FD320.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/15C8F876-7FAF-481F-A0CF-9FBC064FD320.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/405DC566-15AD-439E-ADC4-3CF4E711DFDF.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/405DC566-15AD-439E-ADC4-3CF4E711DFDF.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/91B12E40-9B7B-491F-8791-61DE3E0AA941.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/91B12E40-9B7B-491F-8791-61DE3E0AA941.jpg.html)
Post Merge
Initially I was going to use the -10 oil return outlet flange I had when the s15 turbo was on my 18ET and just make a new line to the block fitting but the orientation of the outlet in relation to the block is awkward. I had to get a ISR drain pipe to make it work. I didn't want to spend 40 bucks on the OEM rubber hose so I went to NAPA and bought a foot of 5/8" 2-ply oil resistant hose for $4 and wrapped it in some left over DEI gold heat resistant wrap I used on the brake line heat shield.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/F38F2BBC-990A-4CF2-B6F1-69DF4C401F7B.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/F38F2BBC-990A-4CF2-B6F1-69DF4C401F7B.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/6D53BC22-2531-4207-8685-A8850A80E66B.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/6D53BC22-2531-4207-8685-A8850A80E66B.jpg.html)

Here's the heat shield.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/10DBE549-39E2-4D78-A734-4197EA39A97C.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/10DBE549-39E2-4D78-A734-4197EA39A97C.jpg.html)

Post Merge
While waiting for pressure plate bolts to come in I changed the rear transmission oil seal. I removed the old one and used it along with a block of wood to tap it in as far as the outer lip. Then I used an old output shaft holder I got from a new 350z transmission when I worked at the dealer. I think they were used to hold the shaft in place and protect it from damage during shipping. The holder along with the old seal allowed me to tap it all the way the way in.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/DADE2C7E-1C76-493D-9FA0-6E71CA769E6D.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/DADE2C7E-1C76-493D-9FA0-6E71CA769E6D.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/E968AE7B-DB3F-4928-9261-FF0A79B33438.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/E968AE7B-DB3F-4928-9261-FF0A79B33438.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/07692A11-0C18-4D51-AD08-95394B8851DB.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/07692A11-0C18-4D51-AD08-95394B8851DB.jpg.html)

Post Merge
I got around to finishing the flywheel access cover. I still need to trim it a little at the bottom though. It's just some carbon fiber scrap with a couple bolt holes. It was laying around so I figured I'd use it. The peice was so small I wouldn't have been able to use it for anything else.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/9FF8FF6A-E41C-4AF8-8DE8-5EB5BC05ACBC.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/9FF8FF6A-E41C-4AF8-8DE8-5EB5BC05ACBC.jpg.html)

Post Merge
I finally got the engine off the stand. What a PITA when your working alone.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/B2602AAF-9B18-4F76-827E-44C4829162D2.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/B2602AAF-9B18-4F76-827E-44C4829162D2.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/67FDC3E7-C714-4724-8AA2-E9AC1C2CF92E.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/67FDC3E7-C714-4724-8AA2-E9AC1C2CF92E.jpg.html)

Note to self: find better lift points when the engine and trans go in! I'm so used to lift brackets. Need to make some.
I think I'm gonna use a third strap for leverage.
Post Merge
The pilot bushing was destroyed but the tools I rented from the zone worked great.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/B15A1936-E606-4169-A1BB-0D364CA4CAC9.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/B15A1936-E606-4169-A1BB-0D364CA4CAC9.jpg.html)
It didn't come peacefully though. It took a few tries and I had to dig out some pieces.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/5E0DD01A-70D9-4CE1-8DAE-6169A9D2D6F5.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/5E0DD01A-70D9-4CE1-8DAE-6169A9D2D6F5.jpg.html)

Installed the new bushing per the FSM and cleaned up the face of the crank as much as I could.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/8072ABB3-C301-4D8C-A65F-8DA15D79FA5B_2.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/8072ABB3-C301-4D8C-A65F-8DA15D79FA5B_2.jpg.html)

Post Merge
Next the fun stuff!
Post Merge
Cleaned up the flywheel with brake cleaner and torqued it down to ARP specs. I used the Ford 4.6 L bolts for the added length and the fact that ARP didn't make FW bolts for the SR when I bought these.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/8DB7ED81-7D14-4D41-B791-C32CC43F6D69.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/8DB7ED81-7D14-4D41-B791-C32CC43F6D69.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/9EF6B256-1F70-4573-9628-2A5DB71A62AA_2.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/9EF6B256-1F70-4573-9628-2A5DB71A62AA_2.jpg.html)
I kept losing my place when torquing down the bolts so I numbered them. So much easier when you don't have anybody holding the pry bar for you.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/385637BA-6717-469B-99C7-C317BF013C8D.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/385637BA-6717-469B-99C7-C317BF013C8D.jpg.html)

Post Merge
Clutch disc on deck
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/2046E017-D2DD-4509-911B-59D4B080564B.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/2046E017-D2DD-4509-911B-59D4B080564B.jpg.html)
Pressure plate installed with ARP bolts made for the RB26. I didn't want to chance reusing the old bolts. These are the exact same underhead length but cost a lot less than OEMs. Plus you get the washers too.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/E0BB9932-0434-45A5-8EFD-626D26F62946.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/E0BB9932-0434-45A5-8EFD-626D26F62946.jpg.html)

I had to order a new release bearing holder and spring. Now I just need to source a clutch fork and the transmission can get bolted to the engine.
D-sport S12Feb 1, 2016, 7:39 pm · #225

What I did to hold the flywheel was using a small piece of chain and bolt it to the block and flywheel. Worked awesome since I was doing it alone aswell

8SixS12Feb 2, 2016, 3:16 pm · #226

Hmm I never thought of that. I could have used one of the 12mm tranny bolts and and one of the old PP bolts. I guess I'm just trying to get it done. I did try using a left over bracket but I couldn't get the holes to line up.
Post Merge


You should have seen me Jesse. I was spread out over top of the engine with one hand on the pry bar and the other on the torque wrench lol! I wish I somebody was there to get some snaps! It was awkward to say the least but it worked. Thats why I numbered the bolts because I didn't want to have to think about which one was next. I was way too worried about the pry bar slipping.
Post Merge
I just got my release sleeve and retainer spring. When I ordered them form Amazon I thought they were run of the mill aftermarket replacements but they eneded up being OEM!

(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/Mobile%20Uploads/8D3B8038-49EB-480F-9A99-62B169B97761.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/Mobile%20Uploads/8D3B8038-49EB-480F-9A99-62B169B97761.jpg.html)

All I need now is a clutch fork! So close!
my12Feb 3, 2016, 3:43 pm · #227

So Nice! Can't wait to see on the road.

RedneckFeb 4, 2016, 12:01 am · #228

Just got done going through this whole build thread and...wow. This thing is gonna be sick when it is done. Love your s12 too, the black on black exterior/interior combo is awesome and from what I have seen pretty rare as well. Soooo wish I had black interior but I got stuck with the blue interior. Your a lucky guy haha. Also, it looks like you used the B tranny with the C tranny bell housing? I did the same trick too so I didn't have to cut up the center console after installing my ka-de (or make a new trans mount) but am curious how it handles all that extra sr power once you get it going. Looking forward to seeing you get this on the road soon!

8SixS12Feb 6, 2016, 8:14 pm · #229
Redneck on 12:01:36 AM / 04-Feb-16Just got done going through this whole build thread and...wow. This thing is gonna be sick when it is done. Love your s12 too, the black on black exterior/interior combo is awesome and from what I have seen pretty rare as well. Soooo wish I had black interior but I got stuck with the blue interior. Your a lucky guy haha. Also, it looks like you used the B tranny with the C tranny bell housing? I did the same trick too so I didn't have to cut up the center console after installing my ka-de (or make a new trans mount) but am curious how it handles all that extra sr power once you get it going. Looking forward to seeing you get this on the road soon!

Thanks Red! Took me a while to find this color combo. I used to think bk w/ bk interior was a unicorn! As far as the the tranny I'm actually using a C trans with the SR bell housing. I'm pretty sure I'll have to make a custom trans mount but I won't have to cut the floor. Other than the fact that they're almost 30 years old, I'm not sure why people think the C trans is so much weaker than S13 transmissions. From what I can tell they are virtually the same internally just shorter. Hopefully I'll have my clutch fork and retainer spring by the end of next week.
RedneckFeb 6, 2016, 9:39 pm · #230
8SixS12 on 08:14:02 PM / 06-Feb-16As far as the the tranny I'm actually using a C trans with the SR bell housing. I'm pretty sure I'll have to make a custom trans mount but I won't have to cut the floor. Other than the fact that they're almost 30 years old, I'm not sure why people think the C trans is so much weaker than S13 transmissions. From what I can tell they are virtually the same internally just shorter.

Yeah I wasn't sure if you were using the B trans or C trans with your SR housing since you have an 86 and that was the weird crossover year they went from the B to C tranny. The s12 C trans, like you said, internally is the same as the s13 trans so your solid. Plus this build is way to nice for you to be rocking the inferior B tranny  :laugh:
8SixS12Feb 8, 2016, 5:50 pm · #231

Yeah Red no way I'd use the B trans. I got rid of that when I sold the CA18.

I was bored the other day and put the heat shield on.
Ehh, could have left the heat tape off but it's on there now. I spent most of the day trying to find the right screws though. I wish I would have been more organized with the fasteners. Oh well.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/6AC9D664-133A-4646-9D04-D5A40B4DC150.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/6AC9D664-133A-4646-9D04-D5A40B4DC150.jpg.html)

sideways_s12Feb 12, 2016, 1:35 pm · #232

Nice Progress! Looks good what's the time frame look like on it running?

8SixS12Feb 12, 2016, 7:55 pm · #233

No time frame. It seems like every time I set a deadline something comes up so I'm just trying to get done as much as possible while I'm looking for a job so hopefully sooner than later.

sideways_s12Feb 13, 2016, 12:53 pm · #234

That makes sense, I totally understand lol life happens whenever we try to plan something... I got a new project myself as well go check it out it's called Project Phoenix...

8SixS12Mar 3, 2016, 3:03 pm · #235

It's been a couple weeks but I've gotten a lot done. I finally got ahold of a clutch release fork. Man, I never thought it was going to be this hard to find one of these things. I figured I could find one used but I couldn't find one anywhere. Not on any forums, FB, I mean nowhere. I eneded up breaking down and ordering one from Nissan along with the retainer clip and a couple more needed brake line clips.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/BDDC7B1C-F559-4269-9D63-B65D4B0E3514_1.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/BDDC7B1C-F559-4269-9D63-B65D4B0E3514_1.jpg.html)

So with that it was time to mate the C trans/SR bell housing combo to the engine. Since I've got a slipped disk I often have to get creative when dealing with heavy stuff so I came up with the idea to use my relatively new creeper to get the transmission close enough to bolt up. It worked great but I eneded up ripping the cushion. Oh well a small sacrifice for a good end result.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/D4339F5E-2CE0-43A6-8F4D-E1111C5CD425.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/D4339F5E-2CE0-43A6-8F4D-E1111C5CD425.jpg.html)

Post Merge


Ready to go in.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/2126B2E8-6913-4157-BC3F-C2682F450CA3.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/2126B2E8-6913-4157-BC3F-C2682F450CA3.jpg.html)
Getting into position.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/625E4A95-E70F-4691-AA27-9C34D049535C.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/625E4A95-E70F-4691-AA27-9C34D049535C.jpg.html)
The toughest part was getting the trans at the right angle so I had to force the end of the case down into the tunnel area.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/DCCA4B1B-9A03-40A9-AF81-ABFDD48B2828.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/DCCA4B1B-9A03-40A9-AF81-ABFDD48B2828.jpg.html)
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/8F337E74-4F77-4D30-ABE9-330F0311E2AE.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/8F337E74-4F77-4D30-ABE9-330F0311E2AE.jpg.html)
And then once I found the sweet spot between the transmission and lower oil pan I had to raise it back up and down again to just kiss the radiator support. Once there I could slide it forward toward the tunnel, clear the lower pan and it was time to line up the engine mounts. I left the mounts loose so they'd be easier to reposition once the engine was in place.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/40BCB1B9-7DEA-4382-8E62-864C1897632E.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/40BCB1B9-7DEA-4382-8E62-864C1897632E.jpg.html)
After some wiggling and finessing it was in!
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/72883737-1C58-4CDB-8FB3-DFFC4B2C3D69_1.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/72883737-1C58-4CDB-8FB3-DFFC4B2C3D69_1.jpg.html)
Success! I can't believe it's in! I took the rest of the day to just look at it actually sitting in the engine bay.
(http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/nine5ive/727C8EBA-B27C-442B-B7C5-37E72B88CFC5.jpg) (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/nine5ive/media/727C8EBA-B27C-442B-B7C5-37E72B88CFC5.jpg.html)

S12_LiferMar 3, 2016, 7:09 pm · #236

Absolutely mesmerizing.  Job well done on your project!

iceagegMar 3, 2016, 7:13 pm · #237

WIN!!!

weitrhinoMar 4, 2016, 9:15 am · #238

Yeah, huge win! Let me know when you can come over to my place and do the same things.

8SixS12Mar 4, 2016, 9:30 am · #239

Filled up the tranny with 4-1/4 pints (2.125 quarts) of MT90.
posted image
posted image
My plan is to use the lower half of the OEM shift lever and the too half of an eBay short shift lever that came with the s13 trans that came with the swap since aftermarket kits that have a top plate don't line up with the mounting holes in the C trans.
posted image
I did a test fit and the shifter height seems high for my tastes so I'm probably going to cut about an inch and a half off the bottom half.
posted image
Post Merge



weitrhino on 09:15:35 AM / 04-Mar-16
Yeah, huge win! Let me know when you can come over to my place and do the same things.
If You weren't so far away I'd take you up on that. Then you could help me finish mine! Besides I've got lots of time on my hands these days.
Post Merge

Fabbed up a Keith Locklear Edition transmission crossmember.
posted image
Added some washers instead of the rubber grommets from the OEM trans mount and some primer and paint to resist rust. Then after a few height adjustments I coated all the bolt heads and exposed threads with grease to reduce corrosion.
posted image
Credit for the mount goes to Keith. Thanks for the help!
http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=35964.0
Keith also helped me to realize that both the mk1 and mk2 front drive shafts are virtually the same. You just have to knock off the collar. I found that it's easier to do this with the drive shaft off the car (thx again Keith) since it's got a spot weld in each side. The dust collar is on the tail shaft of the C trans so this one had to come off to fit.
posted image
posted image
Mk1 left. Mk2 on the right. The removed collar is off to the side.
So with that information I decided to just use the mk1 front drive shaft so I won't have to worry about balancing issues. However when the center bearing takes a dump on this one I'll just swap in the mk2 piece since it's all nice and clean.
8SixS12Mar 28, 2016, 12:01 am · #240

If you were to look around my garage it may not look like I've done much lately but, I've been hard at work planning how I'm going to route the engine harness. Knowing that the bulk of it is on the right I layed out the SR harness on the engine. After visualizing what wires could be ran around on the drivers side through the the fender, I decided to drill a hole in the passenger side of the firewall. I measured the size of the grommet and drilled the hole to match. I looked at my options about a hundred times and figured this is by far the cleanest route with the least amount of harness in the engine bay without the hassle of trying to do a wire tuck and it will allow me to mount the ECM in the glovebox for easy access. 
posted image
posted image
Then I moved the grommet further up the harness so that the ECM connector, ignitor chip and other EFI splices would run inside the car and back out the drivers side fender to the engine bay. The extended MAF and O2 sensor wiring will run through an existing hole next to the brake booster which ends up right where they need to be.
My finger is where the grommet used to be.
posted image

8SixS12Jul 13, 2016, 10:33 am · #241

Finally worked out the heater hoses and finalized the radiator placement. No pics yet tho. Stay tuned.

sideways_s12Jul 13, 2016, 6:32 pm · #242

Is that a new trans? That thing is clean!

8SixS12Aug 5, 2016, 10:16 am · #243

Nah bro. I just power washed it, primed and painted earlier in the build thread.

sideways_s12Aug 5, 2016, 8:11 pm · #244

ahh I must've missed that...

8SixS12May 13, 2017, 10:16 am · #245

Well, my family and I moved again. This time to Birmingham Al. So again the project was put on hold because of all the ins and outs of the move , a transfer with my job, a promotion and just life I'm just about ready to get this thing running! Since the last time I posted I've installed the new fuel pump, rail and finished up some wiring(I hope). I just have a few more boxes to unload  and some other things to put away in the garage. I did get to rebuild my workbench which is now a more usable 8 feet wide x 4 ft deep! Also bought a shop press for bearings and what not. Can't wait to get started!

kelso840May 13, 2017, 11:54 am · #246

Man, firing up your project car in your new house courtesy of a promotion is going to be one hell of a feeling.... Good for you dude.

weitrhinoMay 13, 2017, 12:46 pm · #247

I've been wondering what happened to you. Now I'm expecting regular progress reports........with pictures of course!

Cajun1guyMay 15, 2017, 7:18 pm · #248

Hey, now your in Keith's territory, get together with him, he's  real good to know! Go check out Barber Motorsports Park as well, it's awesome.

sideways_s12May 21, 2017, 12:17 am · #249

in for the updates!

8SixS12Jan 13, 2018, 12:17 pm · #250

Well, works been crazy! I'm pretty much a glorified baby sitter with a company car. Anyway I finally got started on the car again. I may have or continue the thread on Facebook since I'm having a hard time finding a free site that'll host my pics. Photobucket is smoking that real good stuff for what they're charging. Anyway the bumper is back off right now so I can start mounting the intercooler.  I'd like some advice from any of you that's done it before with s13 piping.