Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

what did you do to your s12 today?!

Started by Premo · Jan 25, 2008 · 2164postsSMF 2010–26

Shark808Nov 22, 2011, 1:37 pm · #1551

Yeah!  Something with an Ocean View.

(http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j479/SuperB808/OceanView-1.jpg)

DirtyGazeNov 22, 2011, 6:16 pm · #1552
Shark808 on 01:37:15 PM / 22-Nov-11Yeah!  Something with an Ocean View.

What ocean?  Theres a whale blocking my view.

So this last weekend I...
Installed a Nismo Powerbrace on my buddies S14 - est time of completion - 1 hour

Installed springs and rear shocks on S12 - est time of completion - 4 hours...and still couldnt get the front shocks on
Shark808Nov 22, 2011, 6:41 pm · #1553
DirtyGaze on 06:16:10 PM / 22-Nov-11What ocean?  Theres a whale blocking my view.

Ha ha.  Sure it aint your BF's balls blocking the view?

Dang!  With teeth like yours I'd be workin on a new grille. 

 
seishukuNov 22, 2011, 6:50 pm · #1554

Holy crap, it took 4 hours to install rear shocks and springs?

MaxpowNov 22, 2011, 6:56 pm · #1555

Srs. You're doing it wrong. You should seriously invest in a FSM man or stop by my house before you start your projects so you can use my FSM. It takes all the guess work out.

DirtyGazeNov 22, 2011, 7:25 pm · #1556

Spent most of that time trying to get the front shocks out..that one massive nut that keeps the shock in the strut assembly is fucking retarded.

MaxpowNov 22, 2011, 7:39 pm · #1557

Dude just get some big vice grips or a big adjustable wrench and take that fucker off. Or buy two big ass wrenches and do the super wrench extra torque trick... but then you're stuck with two huge expensive wrenches that you'll never use again.

DirtyGazeNov 22, 2011, 7:50 pm · #1558
Maxpow on 07:39:38 PM / 22-Nov-11but then you're stuck with two huge expensive wrenches that you'll never use again.

Exactly..we did everything within our feasible power (without spending money) to get them changed and failed.  Saturday is a new weekend!
StephenGNov 22, 2011, 8:09 pm · #1559

Installed an alternator and drove her in the dark for the first time in bliss with the stupidest grin on my face. Pop up headlights for the win.

SchizophrenicMCNov 22, 2011, 8:14 pm · #1560

When I have a stuck bolt, I grab the breaker bar. We bought that thing when we had to replace the GMC's rotors. Totally worth it.

MaxpowNov 22, 2011, 8:40 pm · #1561
SchizophrenicMC on 08:14:05 PM / 22-Nov-11When I have a stuck bolt, I grab the breaker bar. We bought that thing when we had to replace the GMC's rotors. Totally worth it.


Breaker bar wouldn't work in this case, he's trying to do the front strut tubes. But yeah breaker bars are essential for anyone who is serious about working on old cars. Hardware gets more and more stuck over time.
SchizophrenicMCNov 22, 2011, 8:46 pm · #1562

I also have this fuckin' massive wrench of unknown origin, which has proven useful countless times.

I advise getting a section of pipe and an adjustable wrench, then use the pipe as a torque arm. That's what we did before the breaker  bar.

sam31183Nov 22, 2011, 9:14 pm · #1563

Big ass pipe wrench.

Shark808Nov 22, 2011, 9:28 pm · #1564
sam31183 on 09:14:48 PM / 22-Nov-11Big ass pipe wrench.

I already have a big ass, pipe wench.  I posted a pic of her.

MaxpowNov 22, 2011, 9:47 pm · #1565
SchizophrenicMC on 08:46:25 PM / 22-Nov-11I also have this fuckin' massive wrench of unknown origin, which has proven useful countless times.

I advise getting a section of pipe and an adjustable wrench, then use the pipe as a torque arm. That's what we did before the breaker  bar.

Yeah, if you break a club lock in half it fits perfectly over husky ratchets, and jack handles work great too.
Hemifan87Nov 22, 2011, 9:53 pm · #1566

Repainted the grill today and hopefully fixed the leak on the sunroof

Before:
 (http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/hemifan87/Mobile%20Uploads/Resampled_IMG_20111114_145802.jpg)

After:
 (http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/hemifan87/Mobile%20Uploads/Resampled_IMG_20111122_134800.jpg)

sideways_s12Nov 24, 2011, 4:44 pm · #1567

started swapping turbos yesterday just need one more bolt on the manifold before it can come out....

Gomesf1Nov 25, 2011, 12:23 am · #1568
sideways_s12 on 04:44:13 PM / 24-Nov-11started swapping turbos yesterday just need one more bolt on the manifold before it can come out....
thats wat she said
night_s12Nov 25, 2011, 12:42 am · #1569

Ordered a head gasket set, coolant reservoir, picked up temp gauge, and test fit some speakers.

BattleFairyNov 25, 2011, 5:27 pm · #1570

ive slammed my one to the maximum
(http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/387856_2224259047929_1291320639_31913227_1658217473_n.jpg)

SchizophrenicMCNov 25, 2011, 5:46 pm · #1571

It looks absolutely stupid.

JayNov 25, 2011, 5:57 pm · #1572

I dunno who your kidding. Looks good to me. Just needs not-stock wheels.

sam31183Nov 25, 2011, 6:11 pm · #1573

I bought a new radiator cap....lol. Careful battlefairy, I am higher than you and I scrape on everything!

MaxpowNov 25, 2011, 8:28 pm · #1574

(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/maxpow99/IMG_1974.jpg)

Blue lugnuts

SchizophrenicMCNov 25, 2011, 8:37 pm · #1575

Blue nuts =/= blue balls

seishukuNov 25, 2011, 11:52 pm · #1576

Mine just sat in the garage... Because I've been on vacation for the last week. :lol:
I gotta take it out, get it up to temp and stretch it's legs a little.

Shark808Nov 26, 2011, 1:31 pm · #1577

Mine still sitting after Thursday's 90+ MPH, fwy caravan run with three other cars whom drivers I didn't know.  Also located another '87 SE-V6 in Hawaii.  Instead of buying and ravaging it for parts I informed braddah about this site...  I believed Shark may have saved one from the scrap yard.

MaxpowNov 26, 2011, 1:55 pm · #1578

Everyone you guys bring is another potential customer for the Socal Parts Alliance.

Shark808Nov 26, 2011, 2:46 pm · #1579

I wen talk story wit braddah ova da kine (phone) and dis ride belong to a wahine.  Da interior stay "cherry", and it's black!  Perfect sunroof!!! Bummas fo me da kine one automatic.  So, Cuz goin speak to dis wahine and see wot she tink.  If she like keep em, sell em, part out..?  I just want interior and sunroof.  I dunno wot fo do wit da rest...

MaxpowNov 26, 2011, 4:21 pm · #1580

Store it under a giant tropical leaf for the apocalypse.

SchizophrenicMCNov 26, 2011, 4:54 pm · #1581

I bought a new front valence and rear garnish from the yard today.

Also, an Altima cupholder and an FB shift knob. Gonna figure out some way to get those into the car if it kills me.

silvertonNov 26, 2011, 5:48 pm · #1582

(https://s-hphotos-sea1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/305324_325915950758100_100000190938619_1554167_81887687_n.jpg)

sam31183Nov 26, 2011, 6:16 pm · #1583

I turned a corner and bottomed out on a big ass fucking drain...i am pretty sure I bounced the car off the ground....it shook the fuck out of me. It still drives straight, and I didnt appear to do any damage to anything important....it sounded like a bunch of dirt fell off of the bottom of the car also...

SchizophrenicMCNov 26, 2011, 6:19 pm · #1584

Ugh that reminds me: The Saturn's steering is FUCKED. Pulls uber-hard to the right.

Colonel GustardNov 26, 2011, 7:48 pm · #1585

did my j30 front brake upgrade and slip on rotors, super tits

S12-ARNov 26, 2011, 7:58 pm · #1586

Must see! Post a picture up!

Colonel GustardNov 26, 2011, 7:59 pm · #1587

i shall on my build thread, uploading the pics on my phone right now

S12-ARNov 26, 2011, 8:02 pm · #1588

Hurry!

Colonel GustardNov 26, 2011, 8:25 pm · #1589

theyre up!

DirtyGazeNov 27, 2011, 5:52 pm · #1590

Put front shocks in the car, reinstalled rear sway bar with prothane bushings and endlinks, and put prothane bushings in the front sway bar.  Also painted 17" rims I have.
(http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z448/brandonkl77/61411/IMG_20111013_104440.jpg)
(http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z448/brandonkl77/61411/IMG_20111127_123111.jpg)
(http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z448/brandonkl77/61411/IMG_20111127_145047.jpg)
(http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z448/brandonkl77/61411/IMG_20111127_145040.jpg)

sam31183Nov 27, 2011, 6:03 pm · #1591

your back wheel sits back a strange amount....

(http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/305256_10150798092070387_695415386_20800258_5794028_n.jpg)


Post Merge: 06:03:54 PM / 27-Nov-11
...maybe i am noticing it more because of the 17s...
silvertonNov 27, 2011, 6:03 pm · #1592

It would have taken you about 5 seconds to tape off the rubber, and it wouldn't have ended up looking like ass.

Jeremy ANov 27, 2011, 6:46 pm · #1593
sam31183 on 06:03:13 PM / 27-Nov-11your back wheel sits back a strange amount....

...maybe i am noticing it more because of the 17s...


I think that his picture is just a mock fit,  that'd be wierd if it did look like that!
mcNov 27, 2011, 7:21 pm · #1594

added a relay to switch the electric fans on together...no more toggle switch!!

rednucleusNov 27, 2011, 7:45 pm · #1595

Just finished changing my dead black ca20 to a silvertop following Jay's thread. Got a break in the rain yesterday and added all fluids. Charged battery ovenight and put it in today. Started up on the 2nd try and running great. I know it's just a crappy ca but this was my first ever motor pull/install, so pretty darn proud of myself tonight. Celebrating with scotch and a prime rib bbq! Will get current tabs this week, a new muffler & alignment and then will have my daily driver back. Old Guys rule! Thanks to all for your help along the way!!

cutter67Nov 27, 2011, 8:37 pm · #1596

[quote I know it's just a crappy ca but this was my first ever motor pull/install, so pretty darn proud of myself tonight. Celebrating with scotch and a prime rib bbq! Will get current tabs this week, a new muffler & alignment and then will have my daily driver back. Old Guys rule! Thanks to all for your help along the way!!]
thats great......what a feeling when it fires up and its even better when you dont have to play with it to get to fire. the big question is are there any nuts or bolts left if there is not any left you did something wrong

DirtyGazeNov 27, 2011, 9:34 pm · #1597
Jeremy A on 06:46:01 PM / 27-Nov-11
I think that his picture is just a mock fit,  that'd be wierd if it did look like that!

What he said.  Also those tires are shot..they're super done

Post Merge: 09:36:30 PM / 27-Nov-11
cutter67 on 08:37:58 PM / 27-Nov-11[quote I know it's just a crappy ca but this was my first ever motor pull/install, so pretty darn proud of myself tonight. Celebrating with scotch and a prime rib bbq! Will get current tabs this week, a new muffler & alignment and then will have my daily driver back. Old Guys rule! Thanks to all for your help along the way!!]
thats great......what a feeling when it fires up and its even better when you dont have to play with it to get to fire. the big question is are there any nuts or bolts left if there is not any left you did something wrong

Sick! Congrats
rednucleusNov 27, 2011, 11:11 pm · #1598

Oh no - no left over parts. I put EVERYTHING in baggies and labeled just like you guys told me to. ALso labeled all the hoses/wires as they were unhooked. I do have '86 intake manifold, ecu, alt, starter, harness, a/c compressor etc that came with the motor, so those will go up for sale in the near future.

night_s12Nov 28, 2011, 1:06 am · #1599

Looks like you one the bet hahah


Post Merge: 01:07:31 AM / 28-Nov-11
Im waitin on gaskets so iv had to slow the rebuild to a hault
cutter67Nov 28, 2011, 3:34 am · #1600

rednucleus
that's a old joke by mechanics "if you dont have any parts left you did something wrong" i had a friend who was the best backyard mechanic i ever saw. if the car we were working on had a really hard bellhousing bolt to get to he would leave it out and say the engineer put there to mess with him. he had a tree in his backyard that we would use a branch from to pull motors in a lot of ways i miss those days it was pure never having the right tool or equipment to do the job but still getting it done and then going for the first test ride after a major project. i will always remember the smell of the grease burning off the exhaust and all the greasy handprints along the side of the car from climbing out from under it