tore apart the block getting ready to finish inspecting, inside seems to be really clean where you would see rust was no rust build up.
There seems to be just surface rust on the cylinder walls but should be able to de-glaze it all off and get it ready. I should have the short block dropped in I am still determding if I am going to use these vg30 heads because how clean they look or continue with the vg33 heads again.
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Project: Fairlady Silvia - 1987 200sx SEv6...
Are the vg33 heads beneficial? If so I'd stick with them and keep the clean ones for a rainy day...
The VG33 heads has a crack in the head where I am using Quick steel to hold.
oh fuck that then I'd go with vg30 heads then
well, there is a problem with the design of the vg30 exhaust studs and seems to be at the same boat as the original vg30 heads I have.
I am going to stick with the vg33 heads the quick steel works for now and it survived the 7k rpm oil pressure dump.
Hey if it works it works...
Yea. VG30 exhaust studs are thinner than VG33 (10mm vs 12mm if memory serves) and a known weak point. I just had to oval one of the VG30 manifold holes slightly to get them to fit on the VG33 heads. According to everything I've read the VG33 heads flow better anyway, especially when paired with the VG30 cams. If you don't have aftermarket cams or access to Z31 turbo cams I can endorse this combination based on my own build. As always, good luck man!
I ventured to Arizona as the heat goes to 120 and acquired.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-18%2015.05.21.jpg)
Removed the auto transmission
http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-19%2018.44.14.jpg
Had one hell of a time removing the stuff.
http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-19%2019.28.25.jpg
Prepping and cleaning before the install.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2010.32.55.jpg)
And installed
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2013.34.03.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2013.34.54.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2015.47.41.jpg)
Stock cam gears for future grinds.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2014.28.39.jpg)
I thought I was going to use the vg30 heads as they look extremely clean.
But 3 studs broke in the process of removal they just turned right off with no resistance.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2018.10.51.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2018.11.00.jpg)
So instead of wasting time with drilling and tapping a bigger hole, I've moved on with the vg33 heads instead.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-24%2022.50.22.jpg)
Moving along
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-25%2016.45.50.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-25%2017.24.30.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-25%2019.01.44.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-25%2019.01.59.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-06-25%2019.01.59.jpg)
Small update, the whole work that was done was a success the motor sounds very healthy.
I have to time her after I troubleshoot a few issues as it seems that I didn't tighten all the bolts down on the intake right.
Then she sounds like a healthy beast once again.
https://youtu.be/l1BzGLGLnIk
That thing sounds great. Congrats on a healthy start
I like how the airfilter housings on carburated engines look like they might be hiding a cake inside
My gosh man, do you ever stop to eat and take a dump? I have never seen so much work going on with one person, you are amazing! Keep the S-12 faith!
currently fixing a few small little things but so far it sounds healthy that is as far as I gotten.
Trying to also avoid some family drama in the process.
So far this is the update, I revisit the timing and I had it off 180 degrees, everything is solid at this point the only tuning left is the wideband A/F Ratio and carb adjustments.
But sounding as strong as it did before I blew up the old motor.
https://youtu.be/UD3sd-2XZ9U
Later will be a drive around video.
I did a thing. https://youtu.be/SpYxc0T1lAI
Aside from the wind noise, your motor sounds great! Acceleration is strong and seems very healthy. Job well done!
S12_Lifer on 11:26:29 PM / 11-Jul-17Aside from the wind noise, your motor sounds great! Acceleration is strong and seems very healthy. Job well done!
Thank you sir, it sounds a bit stronger than the previous motor. So far everything is working good other than that I need to seriously flush her out, something I will work on this weekend.
Currently sitting with some radiator flush, I had no time this weekend to work on her due to some house drama that ended up me kicking the current roomy out for good.
I have been thinking I might still do the full SEV6 migration to the dark blue ca20 86 and part out the ca20/ sev6 broken chassis, and I might finish the red ca18det and play with it some and sell it off to do some updates / upgrades to the Z33.
I guess it is just how things are with my life currently that is making things a bit unnecessary for me to keep going and loosing motivation in everything because of the hard drama that keeps landing ontop of me.
No worries Wonderingraven, it could be a lot worse. I'm sure working on your S12's provides an excellent escape and can be very therapeutic for the everyday drama that we deal with. Just remember, we all love the work that you do to your babies. Keep pushing forward.
Let the zen of turning wrenches wash the drama from your mind.
it is very Zen-full when it is not 110+ outside and lately 100-110 with 60-90% humidity until it rains.
Hopefully I can order my module for the rev limit this paycheck, drama from my house is gone for good this time so I am in the clear now.
For now I really want to make her a bit more presentable and picture quality, I was thinking about either sticker bomb or the MCM glue + magazine with a clear coat over parts of the fenders and the rear 1/4 panel that has bare metal showing from the previous owner undoing the wreckage.
Or sand the messy spots and shaker can the spots with the similar light silver blue.
Well for a short update, found my overheating issue the generic head gaskets has failed
Will be pulling and replacing with an actual head gaskets that I know will work just fine.
Feels like I am the only one who updates the builds.
Well I am on the path of the breakdown,
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-08-13%2018.02.04.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-08-13%2019.08.26.jpg)
On the good side the block is clean on the inside now.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-08-13%2019.08.34.jpg)
That horrible casting tho! thanks nissan.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-08-13%2019.08.54.jpg)
Passenger side it is hard to see the there was a small breakage under the 3rd cyl with the headgasket.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-08-13%2019.09.06.jpg)
as you can see here, the headgasket failed at 4th and the 6th cyl.
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-08-13%2019.09.27.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2017/2017-08-13%2019.09.06.jpg)
(http://www.g-funk.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-08-18-18.19.27.jpg)
From the head-gasket failure from the installation recently, I decided to wrap this one up with the VG30e heads I had cleaned up and resurfaced a while back.
New set of Fel-Pro head-gaskets that did just fine last time before I blew up the last motor.
I transferred back the SR cams back to the vg30 heads from the vg33 and went with it.
With that being said I also went a head and replace the headbolts as $20 per box of 13 each I couldn't pass it down.
Spent the weekend with the reinstall and worked great sunday night on the first start up but the throttle was a bit laggy so I investigated and noticed that I set the timing on the wrong mark as I had it completely backwords,
Spent monday in the matter of 2 hours redoing the timing and when complete things sounded beautiful.
Temperature is stable and everything.
https://youtu.be/-vcZMj8Uk5s
Updated video
https://youtu.be/phUd1CzTPic
MT-90 fluid fixed an issue I had but I also have another issue.
Here we go, dusted off the GoPro and did a drive around, it makes a weird noise from the clutch / flywheel area and it comes and goes when I push in the clutch. it is hard to hear but it is noticeable after a few minutes of me driving, It starts around 3:09 and a few times after that. https://youtu.be/K1bdApt5NLQ
It's good to see updates. When i work out where to host pics again I'll be updating mine.
Post Merge
Also if it comes and goes with the clutch then throwout bearing is the culprit?
Nebuchernezzer on 11:25:35 PM / 26-Aug-17It's good to see updates. When i work out where to host pics again I'll be updating mine.
Post Merge
Also if it comes and goes with the clutch then throwout bearing is the culprit?
Yeah ruled out the throwout bearing. It is actually going away as I am driving it more.
Good to see her back on the road again.
Another SE comes back to life! Great job!
Very happy for you. I need S12 in my life.
Pulled the transmission as the weird loud noise remains when I am in 3rd gear, GL5 might have totally killed my syncro's after all.
I have GL4 currently at $20 per 1qt.
with that being said the ca18det transmission I pulled from the black car is another sr20 transmission and going to use that transmission and rebuild this one for future as I might drop another ca18det into the black car later on.
Will update more with pics when I get closer to crunch time before Street Driven Saturday.
Well did all that for nothing, as I learned that I have screwed up by assuming there was a pilot bushing with automatic cars.
So for now I orderedf an excedy oem clutch kit replacement on rock auto it was for sale just under $100 yay! go me!
I spent a good sunday and yesterday to pull the transmission, fix a few leaks from the freeze plugs from the back of the block and replaced the 0 ring at the back of the transmission.
placed it all back together and it is now working just fine, shifting is very smooth now.
Moral of this story.
NEVER ASSUME! and double check everything.
everything so far has been great, only issue I've ran into is leaky freeze plugs I have been hunting down and replacing.
Also in talks with af ull subframe swap with Jason's Orange 84 and to get his 87 black car fitted with an ca18det with possible his old wiring setup.
Ironically if this happens I wont need to worry about painting this one and chucking this shell as it is damaged from previous owner anyways.
here is a mock up of what she will look like in the first month of 2018
(http://g-funk.net/200sx/fairladysilvia/2018/2017-12-21%2008.19.17.jpg)
Change of main plan, looks like the Orange car is being sold to another local s12 dude
Wonderingraven on 05:04:00 PM / 23-Oct-17everything so far has been great, only issue I've ran into is leaky freeze plugs I have been hunting down and replacing.
Also in talks with af ull subframe swap with Jason's Orange 84 and to get his 87 black car fitted with an ca18det with possible his old wiring setup.
Ironically if this happens I wont need to worry about painting this one and chucking this shell as it is damaged from previous owner anyways.
So much for this idea, so in theory I am going to drop it down to 2 s12's atleast so the change of plans
> Currently restoring and rebuilding an s130 in my garage it is at 50% done now
> Next up will be the black s12 (jason's) going to prepp and build my ka24de and spec it for ka24de+t build with possible MS3
> between the s130 and the black s12 I am going to be working alot of time on the Red Ca18det.
I am most likely going to merg this project with the dark blue s12 (project serenity) for 2018.
Looking forward to seeing the end result.
yeah one step at a time, I am currently refreshing my suspension on the Fairlady Silvia project and I have also found another oil leak might be a bit interesting.
First thing I've noticed with this is that my battery terminal has alot of build up corrosion will most likely need to replace soon.
I got some work done this week to my car, did a full refresh and removing all the old s12 parts and replaced with the s13 parts as it should have been. Only thing I am not putting back on is the sway bar.
Pneumatic brake bleeder is an awesome tool I highly recommend it.
Upon removing the old s12 parts my junkyard q45 caliper start to leak from the piston so I went a head and ordered a replacement from RockAuto.
I replaced the caliper, used the pneumatic brake bleeder, 10 minutes later my brakes was solid.
Replaced an ford escort tierod end because the boot was ripped to shreds and deleted the sway bar because the end lines was both bent and damaged the s12's lower control arms. 











so for this next project, I was offered an j30 motor for $50 pulled running from an infiniti j30 that was sitting for over a year.
This project is for 2019ish to replace the vg30s motor.
I may just have to pay you another visit when your ready to drop the j30 motor.
S12_Lifer on 07:31:28 PM / 10-Jan-18I may just have to pay you another visit when your ready to drop the j30 motor.
Maybe, just that progress is going to be alot more well executed than it was with the vg30s. I might just start swapping everything over to the ca20e car from this one and start migrating before I drop the motor in.
Here it is, this is stated for 2019 to be installed. 
In that time I will be doing some planning and what not.
So I am working on getting plates back on since someone from DMV actually emailed me the correct number and it was completely off.
Here is another random and boring clip of it running smooth.
https://youtu.be/IvY25FtiDgU
I will be at vegas drift on the 21st either to chill or wet sesh drift.
Wonderingraven on 07:00:28 PM / 19-Jan-18Here is another random and boring clip of it running smooth.
https://youtu.be/IvY25FtiDgU
Have you thought about perhaps doing a longer video with a commentary? It's a neat setup and it would be interesting to hear you talk about it.
CzechSilvia on 01:20:13 AM / 20-Jan-18Have you thought about perhaps doing a longer video with a commentary? It's a neat setup and it would be interesting to hear you talk about it.I have a huge fear of talking on camera or I'd do it already, I am currently have been slowly working on breaking my own shell with such things but with no actual support in doing such things it has been a huge struggle with me.
But I would like to one day.
So this time around I am starting over with learning this motor keeping an eye on the reving and the motor reactions I went back to the skid pad to learn the motor some and like I've said before it's amazing how much power it pushes at a lower rev.
No hesitation when hitting sideways as it is pushing that torque and I can really feel that when I hit the water I get a lot of over-steering if i give it too much gas.
the lines started to get really long where I was getting maybe 1 - 2 runs an hour but hey guess what? I waited and did it until they ended at 5pm. It was amazing and I had fun and best of all from I need grippier tires in the front it was getting better each run.
To be honest I was afraid of only getting 1 run this day, but instead I had a bit of redemption and I am glade I made the choice of sticking to the wet pad this time and start over instead of taking the track head on as I could have blown another motor from ignorance.
cold + water does not mix, I did alot of hopping in the rear and felt like I needed to warm up the tires.
this being the skid pad drenched with water and a 2 minute time limit, I couldn't do burn out in the pad nor outside due to the rules =(
My gopro's battery sucks I gotta order new ones for the next event, so here is a little clip of my first run in the skid pad.
https://youtu.be/LnBzc9rvxio
Here is the blog write up on this event including some more pictures.
http://www.tougesw.com/vegasdrift-2018-opener-01-21-my-redemption/
Here is a rev limiter post install, should do some bang bang when I bounce the rev.
https://youtu.be/gKfrjwMCVig
Well, this decision has been coming down the line for a bit. If I can't somehow make the April 22nd drift event this project will come to an end I will pull everything to convert my dark blue hatch and sell the red cadet and rid myself of everything else only to limit myself to the current s12.
By the end of this summer I only want 2 cars, 1 s12 and 1 350z then I am going to focus my efforts to leave Las Vegas for the last time.