nice!
Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects
Project: Fairlady Silvia - 1987 200sx SEv6...
Well time for an update.
I have been having one hella of an issue going on. Replaced starter as it was giving me hell for the longest time and I am pretty sure the starter solenoid isn't supposed to spin around as if something broke inside.
Replaced that and as soon as I finished installing the new starter. My pig tail on the ignition switch just went poof and almost caught on fire.
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1049133_603287056378117_724020926_o.jpg)
So I reinstalled the old pig tail from my old ignition switch and it semi works.
From there car wont start, starter acting like it's dead or something not hooked up right. So I pulled the starter again had it tested and it tested just fine. Replaced all the cables and decided F it install a starter button. for hunting purposes.
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1048206_603779319662224_1810056684_o.jpg)
switch works, but I would have to click the ignition a few times to engage the fuel pump.
Hunting down the wires and everything is checking out just not the switch. So either I am doing it wrong, or just cannot find this short unless it's the ignition switch it self. So I jumped on Rock auto and told rock auto ! I want that switch right there! and bamm! it will be here Thursday!
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1010699_604852192888270_1972037657_n.jpg)
Well, to close on this. My dizzy CAS fried up so that was my main no fire issue. so another $200 part from vatozone and it's working.
Now no headlights any more, smelling a burning electrical now sitting inside the car. Lost 3/4 of my speakers lol and I have a nice 10" sub to install.
I still have the no click start issue, bypassed with a quick start button for the moment, I really don't like this button. I rather it be normal and turn the key and start, so that is going to be my goal on this project. I wished there was an easier way to diagnose this, second will be to figure out my damn headlights.
I have no clue if my car will pass smog, wont know till next weekend. I might be with out a drift car until I can get her back and working order, hopefully I don't have to pull the whole damn car apart just to fix it right. If I can't pass smog, I don't have a trailer so I would have to surrender the plates.
Seems like soo much to do, not a real clue where to start to fix my multiple issues that came to.
Little write up / update.
After my nightmare with relays I became an expert in check my relays now. Turns out all my relays behind the dash are solid and working great, so I went back to square root number 1... when i installed the starter from pepboys it fried my ignition in which from all the testing with the wiring and relays under the hood and the dash in the past 2 weeks. I decided to try the starter again in thought it might just be something this stupid as another bad solenoid even though it can be tested and the test can turn out just fine, there is a signal that is sent from the ignition key to the starter. If that isn't working, it will click but bypassing it does cause the car to not run right as from what I have learned and understand so far.
So I went to Vatozone the only one who has a "300zx" starter Yes under 200sx it wasn't showing so I went z31 and they had it. I went down and picked one up, installed that bitch and turned the key and guess what happened then? you damn right, it started like a baws. Instant start since I installed the new MSD Blaster Coil 2, that fires as fast as my firebird does now. I was amazed that it works now.
So tomorrow back to rewiring my stereo, install my amp and sub I have and I am back to daily and drift mode, after I go get her to pass smog. Since running s12 ecu and maf it should pass with no issues.
Sweet!
Sucks you've been plagued by all these problems. When I had my SE I never had anything remotely close to these kinds of issues. Only thing I ever really did mechanically in the 65ish thousand miles of ownership on it was a tune up, 2 timing belt changes and an alternator. Then it got totaled by a woman pulling in front of me outta nowhere and my days of SE ownership were over. Hope you eventually get these issues worked out man. I feel for ya, especially since most SE's seem to be pretty reliable.
Yeah, it's all about understanding the car more. With this I get to learn everything how my car is put together, it's a fun challenge. Now I am trying to find out why my head lights stop working and when I turn them on they click over to the brights but no lights are coming on.
This time I will be going through the relays before I start removing the motors. Pretty sure it's a blown relay or 2.
yeah when your headlights don't work they automatically light up the brights icon on the dash I guess its its warning system to let you know theres something wrong.... I Had the same thing happen to me when my headlights didn't work its most likely a blown fuse atleast thats what mine was...
Yeah, that isn't the case because all the fuses are good, replaced them with new fuses just to be safe and they ware good still.
well because my registration is up in 2 days. I had my brother smog it, and of corse he takes it to the asshole who hates my car on buffalo and washington - jiffy lube
He took one look at the custom tube with the cone and said that is instant fail, need to HAVE the original intake to smog it. Insta - Fail
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1098021_619004908139665_654134404_n.jpg)
So technically I am fucked in driving her now...
he's full of shit lol I've smogged kendras dsm and it has an aftermarket intake and it passed visual take it to a different smog place they should pass it visually and you should be fine.
yeah same here, I took two cars to vegas with non exempt intakes and other shit, even a missing vac diag decal, and the guy just tailpiped it and was cool.
Go to the one on Rainbow and Flamingo, it's the little booth on the Rainbow side of the big parking lot, I think by the bank.
Resmog that shit! lol he's just a dick...
About as much as I like to, tags are expired now... soo many cops around and I can't take the time off of work. Will just go get my classic rod plates Saturday morning, hopefully they are cool about it and just give me the plates with out the look on the smog report.
Upon doing so I will also be redoing my air intake, going to eliminate a few more vacuum leads.
Do you still have the CAT on it?
Yes I still have the cat on it.
that might be why it doesn't smell rich but is reading rich. the cat will burn all the unburnt fuel and make it smell like its not rich. have you ever replaced the O2 sensor?
Yeah a year ago, I am assuming I might have it hooked up wrong
May or may not. There's Way to test the O2 sensor. But I'm unsure on the details
Ah, interesting. Well I just finished all the relays, found only 2 burned up relays and still no lights, instead I get a bright indicator still. So Checked the relays, fuses, and new bulbs and still no lights.
Severely cleaning my headlight stock, but I have a feeling it's not it either.
Book says something about a headlight sensor but in this FSM where it's located is confusing and I couldn't find any where, in where this sensor could be. Unless it is inside the motors.
Also cleared up a few small vaccum leaks I found as well idling perfect at 750 RPM.
Post Merge
Cleaned up the headlight switch and still no headlights... no brights... I am all out of ideas on why?
U prolly got a wiring issue between the switch and headlights
Figured out the issue after replacing everything that would prevent both my headlights not to work.
Turns out to be a wire that I used to bypass the inhibitor relay, fell off that caused my headlights not to work.
Well I finally got her dialled in some, getting ready for vd29 if I can get a 1 day temp or passed smog. I removed the stock intake as it's actually crap, I cannot believe how much it limits the engine while driving.
I guess it is good for stop and go traffic, anything more or that needed power it is not good.
So I put back in the cone filter.
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1275519_630579780315511_1750042910_o.jpg)
Vegas Drift 029, is a place I was able to test out my ride after a while of down time do to problems. Feels like I have worked out but I have other issues that is in this. I never had a chance to really test out the beast. Turns out there is a major vacuum leak still.
So I really need to work out my vaccum more, I got wiring I need to reroute better and clean it up alot more. Try to beauty up the engine bay as I have made it 100 time worse then it acts. I never had the chance to test out the car with the new blaster coil 2, as I have wired that a bit poorly.
I need to figure out my 4 way flashers isn't working and why my head lights wont go down still I think it's linked to my no dash lights that is on the same circuit.
I will be gutting out the interior completely.
wires are the worst!
It's tedious work, but the weather is starting to cool down. Just in time too. I am also now sourcing turbo parts from z31, and researching lead me to stuff like this
http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?139-Holset-Turbo-Install-FAQ-and-Holset-Info-w-Maps
- I need to source some real racing bucket seats, possibly recaro's, bride or something.
- fix a few body wiring issues
- get classics
- source turbo and install looking for about 500whp is my set goal with this vg30e
500whp? don't set the bar to high lol
Go big or go home.
Lol if it happens no offense
Just an optimistic goal, I seen z31's that can hit that goal. I don't see why I can't do the same. Just will take some time, already in the planning motion. TBH, going turbo is goal 1, 300whp is first phase of the goal then to climb from there.
Due to the storms the past few days I have been unable to install my SAFC2 device.
Did get an awesome picture of the double rainbow.
(https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1239574_634612259912263_1887751060_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1277729_634612229912266_1521131499_o.jpg)
As an update, I got the new SAFC-2 controller hooked it up according to the z31 / s12 guides I found.
So far I am loving it's response.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxz3GuD49W8&list=UUe86heqhmGptBFRrIc2TMlg&feature=player_detailpage
Here is what I have it setup to, next I am going to get is a wideband but also will be placing in order for some headers first.
Never seen her idle like this before it is almost perfect. I think once I get the headers in place, DC headers installed and a wideband it's defiantly time for a tune via Dyno.
In also other news my z31 lower control arms are getting the fix for uber 0 camber via low!
Little update, finally have my Innovate LC-1 Wideband to replace my o2 sensor.
(https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1393322_654851217888367_1400703897_n.jpg)
looks sweet. i think the setup for that is different than the aem uego. not really sure tho cuz i never looked into the innovate much. it doesnt replace the stock o2 sensor tho. you add it in addition to the oe one. the ecu still uses the same oe sensor and you use the readings from the wideband to tune off of.
hmm, it doesn't emulate it like the AEM does?
if it lets you hook it up that way then thats awesome. otherwise its a pretty easy job to install it. Get a o2 sensor bung and we can do it here
Have one already. It has software for my laptoo to configure it. This should be easy really.
quick reply - the LC-1 does have a narrowband output emulation funtion - but I've not had much luck with it on my S13. I just left the stock O2 in it's stock location and installed an O2 bung in the test pipe that I installed in place of the cat.
Looks good. I don't think your goal is too high. All it takes is time and money. Funny thing though, when I had the time I had no money and now that I finally have a little money, I don't have the time...freakin twisted! Anyways Good luck with the build.
Thanks man,
So yeah Tuesday my bolts that held my axle shaft to the rear of the rear hub all fell off.
Crappy picture but
(https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1383612_658441650862657_1282437933_n.jpg)
Today I found a very better quality Screw and nut to replace them with SAE strong bolts, and installed them and today my shocks also came in.
Easy change out. so as a small update, I upgraded from tokico's to e150 van shocks KYB Gas A Just
(https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1384197_659120970794725_603047655_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1385556_659337040773118_976286417_n.jpg)
These act like a limiter as well, so I don't think I would need to do the limiting strap now. Very tough feeling so far I like it compared to the blown shocks I had before.
(https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1383991_659142050792617_1883076955_n.jpg) z31 tokicos good shocks for it's cheap money worth.
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1400751_661044427269046_909670514_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1415396_661044423935713_945393548_o.jpg)
This is up in the air as I was replacing the fuel hoses that was badly old and frail. e150 shocks fit really nice.
Washed her finally never did so since owning her.
Put the LIP kit on finally. I lost / missing but I have found them. the end caps I will put them on as soon as I get some screws to lock them into place.
(https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1381890_664547710252051_1084524259_n.jpg)
(https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/575731_664547723585383_508674064_n.jpg)
(https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1441364_664547746918714_727223367_n.jpg)
Now I decided to go off my rocker on this one. Orange Blaze Plastidip
(https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1459852_571317666249603_824696895_n.jpg)
It's the great pumpkin!
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1456514_665087060198116_362588336_n.jpg)
(https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1456803_571382579576445_880990004_n.jpg)
Cleaned up some, will finish this week.
Whats with all the over spray? Why didn't you tape it off?
Plastidip - rubs off easy.
ok
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/857434_665208800185942_163347607_o.jpg)
Last shot for the night.
Wow why would u do that lol
Cruised over to the east side to give some support for the SA.
(https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1391503_668264699880352_1097111846_n.jpg)
(https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1450308_668264729880349_1986392518_n.jpg)
(https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1454901_668264573213698_247177132_n.jpg)
Just waiting for my shipment of Orange Plastidip gallon so I can finish this right. I might just remove what I have now till it comes and start over again.
haha pics look even more skittle-like on here. so many colors in one parking lot. Starting over on the plasti dip is a good idea. It will look great when its all smooth and no overspray
Vegas Drift / IFO Vegas - Best of Vegas.
We both ripped it up today.
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1398800_676827032357452_52334655_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1399274_676827052357450_1173121021_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1396751_676827079024114_1087184452_o.jpg)
All the pictures I could grab, and that is a good thing due to that I was out there too getting seat time.
very nice!