Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Iggy's "onto the next one" 86 Hatch, CA20ET, FD ProAm Dreams

Started by IggyEGuana · Dec 4, 2012 · 331postsSMF 2010–26

IggyEGuanaApr 23, 2013, 6:53 pm · #251

thanks guys. The arms will be done next week!

StephenGApr 23, 2013, 7:08 pm · #252

Schweet! Cant wait to see these things in action :)

IggyEGuanaApr 25, 2013, 11:34 pm · #253
posted image

5/8" -18 double adjusters for the trailing arm mod. Found out randomly test threading a nut on that Day Motorsports sent me 13 right hand and 11 left hand jam nuts instead of 12 and 12. I'm glad there are some people out there that take pride in their work. smh
turbo-s12Apr 26, 2013, 10:38 am · #254

seems like everytime i order shit online my order gets fucked up... lookin forwrd to a finished product

IggyEGuanaApr 30, 2013, 11:49 pm · #255

aaaaaand photo dump

posted image
posted image
posted image

beveled edges for welding
posted image

The smaller end with the dip flattened
posted image

posted image

mocked up on an extra subframe
posted image

small side end plate done and ready to weld on. large side plate just got the holes drilled
posted image

everything welded in place
posted image
posted image
posted image

posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image

the bulk of the camber correction is already built into the mod without using the adjusters. both camber and toe can then be dialed in. just from working with the adjusters and playing with the arm I can say it seems more than strong enough but I'll find out on the track. gonna do plenty of testing. And yes the adjusters work. They bind up eventually but theres enough movement to do a lot. More progress next week

night_s12May 1, 2013, 2:03 am · #256

you are the fucking man!!!

iceagegMay 1, 2013, 10:39 am · #257

Hurray for simple design and effective problem solving!

IggyEGuanaMay 1, 2013, 11:45 am · #258

Thanks guys. Its a lot more labor intensive that I first imagined but I spent a lot of time figuring out the best production method for each step so I could have repeatable results. I usually do a lot of my work "by eye" but I made sure everything was more systematic. Less artistry and more production. It was an art in itself.

I_heart_VVLMay 1, 2013, 11:50 am · #259

In for the updated camber pics..

iceagegMay 1, 2013, 12:21 pm · #260
IggyEGuana on 11:45:32 AM / 01-May-13Thanks guys. Its a lot more labor intensive that I first imagined but I spent a lot of time figuring out the best production method for each step so I could have repeatable results. I usually do a lot of my work "by eye" but I made sure everything was more systematic. Less artistry and more production. It was an art in itself.

Custom fab always is.  That's what makes it fun.
rifelman1993May 1, 2013, 11:41 pm · #261

So question. ?. Idk I might just be stupid but I dont see how that plays with camber.? Only toe so canvyou please explain and help me out lol. I am thinking of doing this once icget my new/own place

IggyEGuanaMay 2, 2013, 12:02 am · #262

most of the camber correction is already built into it. the section that was cut out was a wedge shape like the letter A. but they were welded back together parallel like an H. That puts an angle in that section that raises it relative to the chassis. that tilts the hub to correct camber. on top of that if you turn the adjusters independantly you can "bend" the arm. increasing or decreasing the angle that was initially created. You can adjust toe by turning the adjusters equally.

turbo-s12May 2, 2013, 12:06 am · #263

Iggy awesome job! That looks like a great fix to our practically unajustable rear. Looks to me like there will be quite a bit of adjustment at least enough to make a big difference. Ill say it again i def want a set when you make them.

WonderingravenMay 2, 2013, 12:10 am · #264

Yep this looks very exciting. Good Job sir :-)  Should paint that subframe to make it even more awesome!

IggyEGuanaMay 2, 2013, 12:24 am · #265

Thanks. I'm going to be doing testing to make sure everything is good to go. Its gonna be a couple months tho. The practice drift event on May 12th was cancelled. The next event is ProAM Round 3 on June 9th. Im really not happy about that cuz I'll be testing new suspension out during a competition. The price of a failed part on my season would be huge. I was happy with the timing of the next event being a practice only. it was perfect but oh well life goes on. i will do some preliminary testing on the street just to make sure it all doesnt fall apart right away. the real stress wont be til June 9th tho. After that if all goes well I'll start making them.

the ones I make for you guys will be painted and look nicer. think of these as the prototypes

WonderingravenMay 2, 2013, 12:54 am · #266

technically it's a month and 8 days now, too bad there isn't udrift eh?

sideways_s12May 2, 2013, 3:19 am · #267

Nice looks good!

rifelman1993May 2, 2013, 9:13 am · #268

Oooo ok I see how your doing in man. Wow you have a smart ass head on you. Thats cool I need to do this asap

IggyEGuanaMay 2, 2013, 11:22 am · #269

haha thanks. The plan is to offer the mod 4 ways:

A service I do to peoples cars. Both S12s and Z31s. From beginning to end I'll do the whole thing.

I'll sell pre-modified arms. You just swap over your brakes, bolt the arms in and go.

I'll sell kits that allow people to do the mod themselves without having to do all the guesswork I've already taken care of. It'll have the plates pre-cut and drilled. the nuts and adjusters. And templates for cutting the arms. as well as full instructions with illustrations and photos.

And lastly the online how-to for free. so people can tackle it on their own if they want to.

sideways_s12May 2, 2013, 7:22 pm · #270

To make it a bit cheaper for the customer you can offer the premade kit for x amount of dollars and you can also do x amount of dollars plus a core which would be on the cheaper side and saves you time have to hunt for the arms...

pakii-afaMay 2, 2013, 10:51 pm · #271

why do i live soooo faar god damnit. either way epic work!

IggyEGuanaMay 2, 2013, 11:00 pm · #272

Ya that too. pretty much like shipping the arms to me and i mod them and ship them back.

pakii-afa on 10:51:50 PM / 02-May-13why do i live soooo faar god damnit. either way epic work!
how much would shipping be from there to vegas and the return trip? Maybe more cost effective for me to just ship pre moded arms to you. i dont even know the total cost on my end yet
sideways_s12May 3, 2013, 1:46 am · #273

Well I meant if you already had some modded they could send you their stock arms and you could send the modded ones for quicker service but thats if you already had it a set or two made....

pakii-afaMay 3, 2013, 2:10 am · #274

shipping would **** me up the *** lol. they weight is ok but the size of the box would just kill it, i would approx about 200 one way. i guess ill just have to make a drive out to ya one day... and everyone else on here too :)

IggyEGuanaMay 3, 2013, 10:58 am · #275

someday i'll be able to do that. for now they'll be made to order. The cost of parts and materials is kinda steep. its up to about 100 bucks. thats not counting getting arms from the junkyard.

pakii-afa on 02:10:32 AM / 03-May-13shipping would **** me up the *** lol. they weight is ok but the size of the box would just kill it, i would approx about 200 one way. i guess ill just have to make a drive out to ya one day... and everyone else on here too :)
Damn thats a lot. I think within the US it would be about half but thats still a lot
sideways_s12May 3, 2013, 6:52 pm · #276

I figured as much just an idea for the future....

pakii-afaMay 4, 2013, 12:32 am · #277

ill just take a trip down somtime with a pair of arms, get u to do this for me. :)

sideways_s12May 4, 2013, 2:27 am · #278

Lol wouldn't that cost more than shipping?

pakii-afaMay 6, 2013, 1:04 am · #279

probably, but it wouldnt just be a trip to have only this done. itd be a road trip or visiting many other things to so itd kinda be more convenient, plus i wanna meet a few of you guys, barley anyone has an s12 here so itd be cool for me to actually see more of them. tbh ive only seen about 7 in person :S

IggyEGuanaMay 6, 2013, 6:33 pm · #280

Today before I got rained on I was able to get the arm boxed/gusseted.

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/935043_508556255878420_943582061_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/601739_508556385878407_1470807729_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/923239_508556602545052_381772756_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/923013_508556712545041_703355378_n.jpg)
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/197686_508556805878365_42097392_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/198923_508556879211691_34086633_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/316321_508556955878350_25909184_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/931277_508557019211677_1973659442_n.jpg)

iceagegMay 7, 2013, 8:31 am · #281

Love the execution of original thought and problem solving.  Now they need to be branded!

IggyEGuanaMay 10, 2013, 12:56 am · #282

just realized this thread doesnt tell what my suspension is

front
S13 coilovers with camber plates
S13 spindles/hubs
S13 balljoints
S13 inner tie rods (uncut)
aftermarket Heim-jointed and bumpsteer spaced S13 outer tie rods
S13 brakes (Q45 or J30 are better and usually easy to find in junkyards)
S14 tension rod brackets
S14 LCAs (boxed)
Energy Suspension LCA bushings
aftermarket S13/S14 adjustable tension rods

rear
Silhouette Autosports adjustable rear trailing arms
Eibach linear pullbar springs (5x6", ~600lbs/in)
Adjustable spring perches
Foxbody Mustang KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (going to switch to E-150 shocks)

Pics of the trailing arm mod
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408431_509646405769405_1706468698_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/940814_509659182434794_15153783_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/321473_509664195767626_1005450212_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/934075_509719315762114_1418747130_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/486752_509719459095433_1511043300_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/393092_509719525762093_1708037239_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/321385_509719589095420_1403007402_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264516_509719765762069_1542148212_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183099_509789149088464_29968823_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/603865_509791835754862_1973751585_n.jpg)

I can already tell that the next version needs more pre-correction built into it. I slammed the car tucking tread and it gained back a lot of camber. basically ended up with the same amount of camber as before the mod at 2.5" wheel gap ride height. i want to be able to slam the car and have zero camber. i might have to turn the bushings into heim joints in order to go really low
Post Merge


oh and the inner CV boot split open on my driver side axle cuz I left them hanging under the car. Had to run the the junkyard. the only axle there was out of a 88 Z31 and the outer boot was open at the inner edge. Plastic and zipties it is. So now I have one Z31 axle and one S12 turbo axle.
sideways_s12May 11, 2013, 10:37 am · #283

you have any pics from the rear?

IggyEGuanaMay 11, 2013, 10:59 am · #284

I'll get better pics when I get it finished and aligned

got this from the junkyard
(https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/922929_510007785733267_365664125_n.jpg)

sideways_s12May 11, 2013, 11:00 am · #285

is that a z32 trans?

MasterSpazezMay 11, 2013, 8:19 pm · #286

That trailing arm idea is genius!

IggyEGuanaMay 12, 2013, 10:43 am · #287

Yes Z32 trans. VH45DE swap is on course for 2014

thanks. Next I need to do my inner tie rods and then drive the car a little. I want to settle the suspension and see if the arms fail. Then I'll lower the front to match the rear, do an alignment, modify the drivers seat, and mount tires. then I'll be ready for Round 3 on June 9th.

RedneckMay 12, 2013, 6:00 pm · #288
IggyEGuana on 10:43:27 AM / 12-May-13VH45DE swap is on course for 2014

(http://odubleedblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/chuck-norris-thumbs-up.jpg)
sideways_s12May 12, 2013, 6:41 pm · #289
IggyEGuana on 10:43:27 AM / 12-May-13Yes Z32 trans. VH45DE swap is on course for 2014


Shit is about to get real....
IggyEGuanaMay 12, 2013, 7:57 pm · #290

Haha thanks guys. Basically gotta keep costs down for the rest of the 2013 season and then do the full vh45 swap over the off season and debut the carduring the first practice event of next yearprobably in feb or march.

I have to admit tho I have been thinking about the FJ lately tho. What do you guys think of a FJ20ET build for the track? Should be something like 350 to 450 horse without worrying about the engine breaking. I think the biggest hurdle there would be the tuning. For that build its standalone or bust. Itkll never run right or be competative on the stock system. The vh45 on the other hand will run the stock ecu and maf with no problems and put down 300 horse and 300+ torque all day.

Any advice is appreciated. Pros vs cons etc

tommyMay 12, 2013, 8:27 pm · #291

With the cost and availability of FJ parts, I'd go with the VH and I'd just build a new oil pan/baffle to solve its lube problem and it'll be far more reliable running near stock figures and will be far less expensive to maintain in the long run than a similar FJ.... and we're not even talking about sound ;)

sideways_s12May 12, 2013, 8:38 pm · #292

I agree with tommy the vh was available here in the states so if anything breaks you can got to any parts store ( or stealership) and get parts hell there's always vh's in the junkyard you can pull parts from there as well. I say you do vh and drift the whole season and you'll beable to drift the round and practices because of the reliability un like both ca's you had to dick with. Pop it in  equal length headers nice exhaust and go have fun.... Its a no brainer....

rifelman1993May 12, 2013, 11:11 pm · #293

Fj is hard to keep going do to parts are hard to fine in the states. But fuck it do it big with the fj id like to see it done

sideways_s12May 12, 2013, 11:20 pm · #294

Oh and I meant to ask before how much did you pick up the trans for and also is it a tt trans or n/a ?

turbo-s12May 12, 2013, 11:26 pm · #295

I say vh45 all day more reliable horsepower and when your on a budget break downs are big setbacks

sideways_s12May 12, 2013, 11:28 pm · #296

^^This :thumbsup:

WonderingravenMay 12, 2013, 11:32 pm · #297

Can't wait to see that VH stuffed into the s12.  Then I wont be the only s12 with more then 4 cyl's getting sideways on.

Johnny_boiMay 12, 2013, 11:44 pm · #298

have you ever thought about a chevy lt1? there super cheap and have a huge aftermarket support

WonderingravenMay 12, 2013, 11:48 pm · #299

Opti-spark setup lol

sideways_s12May 13, 2013, 1:43 pm · #300

Well there you go i think you made the decision before asking us lol good luck with the build cant wait to here it fire up....