Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Iggy's "onto the next one" 86 Hatch, CA20ET, FD ProAm Dreams

Started by IggyEGuana · Dec 4, 2012 · 331postsSMF 2010–26

nismo_200sxMar 28, 2013, 11:04 pm · #201

watch for my friends. one is in a white 240 coupe with 2jz and silvia front his name is kasey kohl and my friend in a truck240sx with silvia front and ls1

cheesemachineMar 28, 2013, 11:35 pm · #202

I love your car man, I have always been more partial to that look...wider rims, no body kit, not too stupidly low, still streetable.   So awesome to see a ca20 that can prove it's worth at the track :)

EternalSwapMar 29, 2013, 11:08 am · #203
IggyEGuana on 08:54:43 PM / 28-Mar-13i havent driven in it yet. but just sitting in it i can tell that the big ass side bolsters need to go. its very secure but its a hassle too. if i was taller or they didnt go as high it wouldnt matter as much. i bent them inward so my arms go outside of them. the seat seems to hold me in place really well but my movement is restricted a lot. I'm pretty sure that i'll cut them down to be more like a normal racing seat. its a drag seat so they really dont expect you to move your arms much
ah makes sense. i miiiight just have to steal your idea, maybe. ill find a cheap one on CL and go from there haha
IggyEGuanaMar 30, 2013, 9:42 pm · #204

Today was great. The car felt awesome all morning and I got a lot of good runs in. Too many actually cuz I killed brand new tires in less than 2 hours. But I got consistant on the course. We had to run and get 2 more new tires and hope to be back before qualifying started. we got back just before they started to grid up. All I could do on the new tires was take em to the skidpad and scuff them. My 2 qualifying runs were not on par with how good i was in practice but I still got a score. Only 53.4 not good enough to make top 16 but I had a blast and met my goal of just getting a score this time. the course was awesome. I have a bunch of videos. they are pretty much all the same but i'll get them posted. it takes forever for them to upload to youtube.
Post Merge


pics

posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
posted image
IggyEGuanaApr 1, 2013, 12:02 am · #205

vids from practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAmq0_cCh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2tGwnkPENo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijlCTkGrGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtfJ6q5Viio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJD5qHw_AU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPcLYoat9iI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJmt_LdjHk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75zhB1LMSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3-Gab4lyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeGhe5MZfaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCLcTPDVwwk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDGbqgdFVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyaiz-GnnOU

Jeremy AApr 1, 2013, 1:01 am · #206

Great day,  man,  great day.  When I got there,  you were out getting tires,  and I had to split after the qualifying round.  I saw the Recaro chairs and laughed my ass off.  That is fuckin MINT.  Haha, great first run,  awesome entry speed, that CA20 turbo really gets the car flying! 

I made a GIF of your spin-out in your second attempt,

posted image

And some more pics for shits and gigs

posted image

posted image

burritomannnApr 1, 2013, 3:12 am · #207

Looking good out there man! Glad you achieved your goal to set a score.

RedneckApr 1, 2013, 1:39 pm · #208
IggyEGuana on 09:42:37 PM / 30-Mar-13posted image

Is that wonderingraven's SE I am spotting in this pic? Glad to hear the day went so well!
WonderingravenApr 1, 2013, 1:44 pm · #209

yes that is my sev6 lol

IggyEGuanaApr 1, 2013, 6:03 pm · #210

haha awesome. i didnt even see you there jeremy

Next round is June 1st. the goal is to put down a qualifying score that matches what I'm capable of in practice. I believe that I can put down a score of 70-75 even with only 185hp. If i had done my best in qualifying and scored a 71 or higher I wouldve made the top 16

Johnny_boiApr 2, 2013, 2:21 pm · #211

Iggy have you heard about the drift track that's being built in lovelock?

WonderingravenApr 2, 2013, 2:35 pm · #212

touge sierra guys.

IggyEGuanaApr 2, 2013, 6:40 pm · #213

ya i have it on fb

rifelman1993Apr 3, 2013, 1:33 am · #214

Man some grate drifting there. Keep up the work your good

Johnny_boiApr 3, 2013, 5:20 am · #215

You gunna come out when it's done

IggyEGuanaApr 3, 2013, 1:25 pm · #216

thanks

idk. Lovelock is really far. just have to wait and see where life is by that time

IggyEGuanaApr 9, 2013, 7:01 pm · #217

ok guys! rear camber/toe fix coming in the next couple weeks.

posted image
posted image
posted image

I thumbed thru old threads about the topic and laughed at how easily everyone gave up and said "live with it"

This is going to be the end-all, fix-of-fixes, sweet baby Jusus at last, fix. Its all about the inner leg of the trailing arms. Subframe remains untouched. And it wont be a bandaid camber "reduction". I'm talking about ZERO toe and ZERO camber if u want it
Post Merge


oh ya and

posted image

posted image
SX12Apr 9, 2013, 7:43 pm · #218

What size and offset are your rear wheels?  :nerdystraight:

WonderingravenApr 9, 2013, 8:45 pm · #219

Let me know I will love to give it a try on my SE.

turbo-s12Apr 9, 2013, 10:18 pm · #220

Ill take some if ur makin em complete camber and toe adjustments sound great!

IggyEGuanaApr 9, 2013, 11:26 pm · #221

15x8 -10 on the rear
15x7 0 for the front

thanks guys. i'm excited to build it. I'm confident it'll work really well

EternalSwapApr 9, 2013, 11:47 pm · #222

I can't wait to see the end product. Even though I will likely just end up living with it lol

Johnny_boiApr 10, 2013, 12:25 am · #223

Did you see my idea on the camber/ fix

IggyEGuanaApr 10, 2013, 1:34 am · #224

ya but urs isnt FD legal. I know it doesnt really matter right now but if i want to drive the car in FD or ProAM Nationals I have to comply. Cant relocate the suspension pickup points. that includes adding new ones.

Jeremy AApr 10, 2013, 2:37 am · #225
IggyEGuana on 07:01:51 PM / 09-Apr-13This is going to be the end-all, fix-of-fixes, sweet baby Jusus at last, fix. Its all about the inner leg of the trailing arms. Subframe remains untouched. And it wont be a bandaid camber "reduction". I'm talking about ZERO toe and ZERO camber if u want it

Very,  very,  very excited about this.  YES.  IRS progress!

The inner leg would be the longer one, yeah?
IggyEGuanaApr 10, 2013, 11:14 am · #226

ya inner leg is the longer of the two
Post Merge


goodies arrived today

posted image

New S13 inner tie rods, Z31 subframe bushings, and the tie rod adjusters for the mod to the rear trailing arms. theyre for a 94 buick skylark and a few other garbage GM cars from the same time.
Johnny_boiApr 11, 2013, 12:55 am · #227

Interested to see this. From what I have read is that the subframe must remain unmodified but control arm are free to mod. Yes my subframe is modified but only because I had different plan for it to begin with, Now if I put in a oem subframe my control arms should bolt up just fine and comply with FD rules

StephenGApr 11, 2013, 1:36 am · #228

Stop teasing us and show/tell us what you are planning :P I'm dyin' here!

IggyEGuanaApr 11, 2013, 1:04 pm · #229

Basically i'm sectioning the inner leg of each trailin arm and adding three adjusters. the adjusters are right hand thread on one end and left hand thread on the other. they'll allow me to "bend" the inner leg and correct the camber. Also adjust toe with them outside the factory toe adjustment. its hard to explain and i'm not a MS Paint artist so no diagram but you'll see when the progress pics go up.

turbo-s12Apr 11, 2013, 1:42 pm · #230

Sounds like a good idea....so if all goes well would you be interested in making more?

DjayS12Apr 11, 2013, 3:22 pm · #231

I'll follow this camber fix experiment. That sound interesting. Keep up the good work!

StephenGApr 11, 2013, 3:31 pm · #232

If nothing else, please take pics as you go so we can duplicate. Sounds like a promising and relatively simple fix.

WonderingravenApr 11, 2013, 7:51 pm · #233

what's the inner tie rods for?

IggyEGuanaApr 11, 2013, 10:19 pm · #234

thanks guys. I'm optimistic this will be a long term fix. I might mod some arms if the arms are supplied but i'd rather just document and explain it well enough that you guys can do it yourselves.

Gary the inner tie rods are just to replace mine. i got mine from the junkyard and my drivers side has a little more play now than i like. plus the old ones will be track extras

IggyEGuanaApr 14, 2013, 11:42 am · #235

New brand is launched!

Silhouette Autosports

Heres the facebook page. Be sure to like and share
https://www.facebook.com/SilhouetteAutosports

More info
http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=36663

http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=36512

sideways_s12Apr 14, 2013, 9:04 pm · #236

Posted in the other thread about having some hook-ups on shirts and stickers let me know wassup....

IggyEGuanaApr 15, 2013, 11:36 am · #237

how much does it cost?

WonderingravenApr 15, 2013, 2:49 pm · #238

free for just a dollar, I dunno domains cost $10 . could slap together a simple Wordpress site  for a team deno donation if you want to expand beyond Facebook.

IggyEGuanaApr 15, 2013, 6:46 pm · #239

I'm 1000% down with silhouetteautosports.com

where do i go to pay?
Post Merge


Started on the rear trailing arms today. I dont have the jam nuts or plate steel yet so I could only cut and prep the arms but its a step.

posted image
posted image

thats the drivers side arm. those are the marks i laid out for where the cuts went. the left cut is right where the surface of the arm flattens off the bump for that hole. the cut on the right is started 2 inches from the left cut. thats the distance from the two cuts at the top. they are angled from each other like an A. the left cut is 90 degrees from the top surface of the arm and the right cut is 90 degrees from the bottom.

posted image

there you can see how the cut is angled on the face of the arm and square on the top and bottom. the cut ends are going to be boxed in with steel plate. either 1/8" or 3/16" thick. the arms material is 3/32" thick btw.

you can also see ow the brake line has been relocated. it cant stay in the factory spot because it spans the area that I cut. the bracket that normally holds the end of the hardline was cut off the arm and removed from the line. then i carefully hand bent the line into a coil positioned to be reconnected to the car.

Then i prepped the cut areas for welding. I did all this to both arms
Post Merge
after i get it all done I'm gonna do a how-to thread
pakii-afaApr 15, 2013, 11:19 pm · #240

we want moar! lol good stuff, if this is simple enough im deff going to be doing it.

IggyEGuanaApr 22, 2013, 6:18 pm · #241

started to finish it today but the jam nuts dont fit the adjusters. Its looking rough for keeping this mod affordable the adjusters were cheap but theres no nuts to fit them. adjusters that are more commonly used in custom suspension (for circle track cars) are about $25 each. times 6 is at least 150 bucks. way too much to keep this affordable.  working on the solution

StephenGApr 22, 2013, 6:36 pm · #242
IggyEGuana on 06:18:54 PM / 22-Apr-13started to finish it today but the jam nuts dont fit the adjusters. Its looking rough for keeping this mod affordable the adjusters were cheap but theres no nuts to fit them. adjusters that are more commonly used in custom suspension (for circle track cars) are about $25 each. times 6 is at least 150 bucks. way too much to keep this affordable.  working on the solution
They are the wrong size, thread pitch? Surely you can get nuts to match the threads somewhere. Maybe I'm just missing something.
turbo-s12Apr 22, 2013, 7:02 pm · #243

^+1

WonderingravenApr 22, 2013, 7:31 pm · #244

Have you check McFaddens ?

IggyEGuanaApr 22, 2013, 8:25 pm · #245

i was at McFaddendale's today. as well as Mead's, Nevada Bolt, and Charleston Auto Parts just in case they had it. The problem is the adjusters are M18x1.5 which is an odd size. M18 isnt commonly used and 1.5 is fine pitch for that size so if you find M18 its less likely to be in 1.5 thread pitch. But thats not the toughest part. Half of the 24 nuts I need have to be LEFT HAND THREAD. The only place in town that even carries left hand metric is McFaddendale's and their stock only went up to M10.

Anyway the reason i wanted to use these adjusters was because I was able to get them for cheap on RockAuto for about $3 each and they are a high quality OE fitment part. Hardened steel etc. Not a junk part.

I found some adjusters online that will fit the jam nuts I have. Theyre used for suspension fabrication just like the nuts so its all the same standard of 5/8" -18 and theyre about $6 each. A huge improvement over $25 each for the ones on Speedway Motors. Theyre ordered and hopefully i will finish the new arms next monday/tuesday.
Post Merge


so far the cost in materials is 80-90 dollars. thats just for the stuff I'll use, not the stuff i bought but cant use. and that doesnt factor in the arms themselves, welding/fabrication supplies, and labor time.
WonderingravenApr 22, 2013, 8:37 pm · #246

It will be an investment to get able to be adjusted.

rifelman1993Apr 23, 2013, 7:39 am · #247

I hope u finish this man. I drift big time right now and it would be nice for some adjustment lol

iceagegApr 23, 2013, 7:50 am · #248

Try Fastenal http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex.  A quick search for "M18" returned both direction nuts in 1.5 thread.  They also sell taps for both thread directions.  Worst case you could always try making your own.  It might be cheaper in material but I know your time is worth $$ so maybe it would still be cost prohibitive in the long run.  Then again, making your own you can leave them square instead of hex and make one direction metric and one direction a close standard size.  then no matter what tools a person has they can always get the job done.  Might be worth the extra effort to save a future headache in the pit where seconds can count.

night_s12Apr 23, 2013, 11:57 am · #249

Seems like someone who has spare rear arms might have to sell them to another someone so they can do this without downtime *cough* *cough*

turbo-s12Apr 23, 2013, 1:08 pm · #250

Ya i was going to say fastenal or grainger they got everything