mcupdate...i finally got around to removing the cat and installing the cheater pipe...i used 2.5" pipe connected to the stock "y" pipe..i built it so the cat can be easily reinstalled next year for the state emission test..it sounds aggresive now under throttle and a little rumble at idle[similar to my old 72 Chevelle v8]..it has made the car alot more responsive without the restriction before the turbo...i need to pick up some more header wrap to keep the heat in this replaced section...the JAW kit is about two weeks from completion[its getting final adjustments and added features]...The WB O2 sensor is going to be installed in the T3 turbo stock o2 port in the rear.
Hello mc,
You have a fan out here in the interwebs. I joined this forum just to post here. I don't even have a Nissan. lol
I'm a big fan of the RMTS (remote mount turbo systems) and think most people dismiss them too quickly. I like to divide the RMTS into bite sized pieces. As you know there are 4 pipes and 3 boost phases. Each pipe has its own diameter, length, and volume---and what is optimal for each one is different. A remote mount turbo has the ability to use a large diameter short exhaust after the turbo. That's nearly perfect for lowering the pressure after the turbine (and cheap!). The pressure differential across the turbine can go from (I think) somewhere around 40psi to nearly 0psi if no muffler is used. The air filter on a remote mounted turbo can be huge, and the pipe work can be large diameter and short. The charge pipe can get away without using an intercooler in many cases (especially with water/methanol injection).
The 3 phases (as I see it) are 1) non-boosted (N/A) driving, 2) building boost, and 3) boosted after the wastegate opens. In phase #1 a normal turbo manifold isn't the best option for flow or pulse timing. Lag doesn't matter at all in phase #1 because WOT isn't required from the engine. In phase #2, lag can be experienced. But if you've ever looked as some Front Mount Intercoolers on Subarus---you'll notice that the charge pipe loops all the way around the engine. A RMTS can actually have straighter pipes with less volume than many FMIC cars. And those pipes don't wrap around a hot engine. Even if the volume is larger on a RMTS, it isn't by much. Those pipes fill quickly. In phase #3 lag no longer matters. Most of the usable powerband is in phase #3, so there isn't much to complain about.
Okay, now that I got that off my chest here's what I'd like to suggest:
A CONE. Yep, a cone. Specifically, a reverse cone. Instead of a muffler AFTER the turbo, you could use a reverse cone as a muffler BEFORE the turbo. That would make the pressure after the turbo drop to atmospheric. It would also make the entire volume upstream of the turbo act as a large muffler.
The downside is that I'd ask you to try using larger pipe upstream of the turbo. Maybe 3" pipe? That might (or might not) cause more lag. A gently tapered reverse cone is a natural muffler and also a natural (drumroll) NOZZLE. A nozzle right before the turbo seems like a good idea to me. In phase #1 it wouldn't make a difference. You might even get better gas mileage. In phase #3 it would surely increase horsepower. The only question is how much it would affect phase #2 and noise level. I would think that the tone would be lower and quieter than when you ran mufflerless before.
Also, have you considered moving the air filter to the trunk area?