Browse › Builds & Media ›Build projects

Project: Resurrection.

Started by sideways_s12 · Feb 22, 2010 · 676postsSMF 2010–26

sideways_s12Dec 29, 2011, 11:06 am · #251

Welp I think it's time to change the clutch master. Pedal is starting to feel mushy and the engagement of the clutch keeps getting lower and lower so Yeah it's about time to change the old 87 stuff out and put new stuff in....On a side note I may try to talk to the girly into buying this notch I keep seeing....Iono We'll see tho it's pretty cheap and pretty clean too.....I've wanted a notch since I had my first one.

ProlowtoneDec 29, 2011, 11:58 pm · #252

My clutch disengages at the very top... When i first started driving, i would be cruising along and  not notice my foot was leaning against the pedal and it would cause it to slip (I think this clutch is shot).

sideways_s12Dec 30, 2011, 12:42 am · #253

yeah mine keeps engaging lower and lower I know the clutch is good because it's new well semi new anyway still grabs pretty good the pedal is just mushy as shit oh out with the old in with the new....

sam31183Dec 30, 2011, 9:01 pm · #254

try bleeding it first? :p

sideways_s12Dec 31, 2011, 10:15 am · #255

Nah I just swapped it lol trust me it was done I could feel the difference as soon as I swapped it before bleeding it lol....it's all good now but I'm gonna swap the slave soon because they usually go right after the master does in my experience anyway...

sideways_s12Jan 5, 2012, 11:42 pm · #256

Finally finished cutting my bumper lol six months later now if only I could find the bolts that hold the skin to the bumper and I will be set decided to leave the se lip off and see how she looks if i like then the se lip will stay off and prob go up for sale...Also got some plugs for my wiring coming so i can complete some of the connections that are hacked up....Might grap the exhaust of the red car and install it on the black car since i had to cut the exhaust of the black because the P.O. made the down pipe to big and with the height of the car it constantly caused exhaust leaks or broke runners or bolts etc but for now she runs well just need to get the wiring fixed which will happen soon hopefully....

sideways_s12Jan 15, 2012, 9:51 pm · #257

Fixed my maf plug finally now that the connections are solid it pulls much more consistently then the choopiness I was getting at high rpms still have some kinks to work out but she runs well and pulls good at 15psi.  I owned a stock turbo genesis the other night lol he wasn't to happy about that.....bumper will be going on this week I will post pics of the finished product when I can nand you guys can give me your opinions or not whatever lol tax time is around the corner so expect there to be more updates on mods and power and improvements. Next on the improvements list will be a new radiator and to toss the cut springs I have in the garbage....and replace with some good rear spring and perch set-up.... 


Post Merge: 09:54:01 PM / 15-Jan-12
Forgot to mention we may be renting a house soon so that means I will have a garage and if I get a garge all hell is gonna break loose lol because we are investing in a legit family car the s12 WILL be going down for all the stuff I want to. Also there will be no more parking lot build threads from me as i will have a proper garage.... I can't wait.
ProlowtoneJan 16, 2012, 12:36 am · #258

Congrats, garages are nice to work in.. Even if it is cold out like standing in a freezer with a block heater in you hands lmao

sideways_s12Jan 19, 2012, 8:01 pm · #259

Lol.....well I installed the bumper lol been driving around sooooo long without one the cat looks weird I will post pics when I can...

sideways_s12Jan 26, 2012, 11:03 pm · #260

Blah found an oil leak good thing taxes are right around the corner once i get a daily she is going under the knife again....

sideways_s12Feb 2, 2012, 12:48 pm · #261

Can't wait for my money to get here so she can go to the shop most of you who know me know I like to do the work myself but I just don't have the time anymore I work 2 full time jobs and only have one day a week off so it would take me forever to get it done not to mention I really don't like to do much on my day off other than relax....So it will go to a well know shop and guy I trust he's done work to mrs. Sideways dsm and gaurntees all his work not to mention he's built a 10 sec ca so im sure my car will be in good hands expect updates soon!

sideways_s12Feb 4, 2012, 12:16 am · #262

Woot My money came early yeah buddy!!!!


Post Merge: 10:57:46 PM / 04-Feb-12
Ordered my springs and perches today and will be ordering my shocks for the rear as well along with a rad.....
sam31183Feb 5, 2012, 1:19 pm · #263

what spring rate did you go for the rear?

sideways_s12Feb 5, 2012, 4:14 pm · #264

600lbs I borrowed iggy's springs back when we were cool and they were nice I didn't mind the ride it's not to bad....it's those eibach ones that were in his thread but i might go up later tho to 700's maybe...

sam31183Feb 5, 2012, 9:18 pm · #265

I am running 550 sss blue coils. I thought iggy was running a pair of sss blues though and not eibachs. Did you get the adjustable perch sleeves? I had mine maxxed out for a couple of weeks but I raised the car back up today. I could hear the springs banging around more then before and I was also getting this weird squeeking noise that I think might have been related. I also rewired my ground wire for my fog lights that I bought from you a long time ago. I originally had them grounded to the mounts, but I ran the ground wire into the engine bay, cuz the grounds kept getting dirty.

sideways_s12Feb 5, 2012, 10:40 pm · #266

He was running a set of blues they were 900lbs but he switched later to the eibachs I forget why tho something about a consistent slide....and not bumpy or choppy or something....

sam31183Feb 6, 2012, 12:53 pm · #267

900 sounds way over kill to me....i like the 550 a lot.

sideways_s12Feb 6, 2012, 7:19 pm · #268

yeah he said the same thing 900 was way over that's why he went with the 600's

sideways_s12Feb 8, 2012, 2:30 pm · #269

Woot got my rad yesterday shipped hella quick lol I wasn't expecting it just waiting on my springs and perches and my bov.....

decoFeb 8, 2012, 5:55 pm · #270

Where did you order your springs from,  and what kinda coin did they set ya back? I'm going to need to get my car. Lower, I just don't have any love for 4x's ya know. Oh and also,  your rims, you said they were just. Stock turbo wheels but there much nicer looking than my turbo wheels, what year had yours on them? I like um, and would run them long term over my wheels.

sideways_s12Feb 9, 2012, 10:10 pm · #271

The springs i got from speedwaymotors.com 0675.500.1000 - EIBACH PROGRESSIVE PULL BAR SPRING, 6-3/4" rate 600lbs http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Eibach-Pull-Bar-Springs,271.html  But you'll need to get perches for the springs as they will be too short to run on their own the perches I got from daymotorsports I can't think of the part number off the top of my head right now.... but they are adj perches  the spring set me back 126 bucks that includes shipping I just got them today actually. I ordered them on sat and shipped it ground.

On a side note im just waiting on my perches to get here so I can install the springs and waiting for someone on ebay to get back to me about a fan shroud with fans for my rad once I get all that figured out the rad and springs will be going in and I will be getting new tires....


Post Merge: 06:04:52 PM / 10-Feb-12
Yeah buddy got my perches today woot! now I just have to wait till my off day to install them....

Post Merge: 07:05:42 PM / 10-Feb-12
also need to figure out how to roll my fenders so i can go lower....
sideways_s12Feb 15, 2012, 1:05 pm · #272

go the springs on and you can def tell the difference between these and the lame ass chopped springs also the car slides more evenly now not so bumpy or choppy.....

WonderingravenFeb 15, 2012, 1:16 pm · #273

I might do the same so I can get rid of all the creeks and bangs lol when I turn.

sideways_s12Feb 15, 2012, 5:30 pm · #274

yeah i had that too lol...

sideways_s12Feb 17, 2012, 9:45 pm · #275

So I fixed the springs and the fuckin starter goes....Great!

WonderingravenFeb 17, 2012, 11:38 pm · #276

I know exactly how that feels lol.

sideways_s12Feb 18, 2012, 12:02 am · #277

Yeah its retarded but I'm having mine rebuilt tomorrow so hopefully that will fix the issue.....

decoFeb 18, 2012, 11:46 am · #278

dude, you have to be the most unlucky person i have ever met. WTF!!! i feel so bad for you sometimes its just not fair. anyway i like that you keep moving forword. good luck man. oh and you didnt answer one of my questions. when i came by your place you had some wheels, i dont remember if they were on the red or black car, not the xxr's, you said they were stock turbo wheels, but the look way nice compared to my turbo wheels. what are they off of, or what year?

sideways_s12Feb 18, 2012, 10:18 pm · #279

If they were on the blue car they were stock turbo rims and if they were on the red car iono what kind they are I just know they came off a 240 lol....


Post Merge: 10:19:17 PM / 18-Feb-12
All I can do is keep moving forward lol.....
sideways_s12Feb 21, 2012, 6:50 pm · #280

alright got the starter in and damn it's nice lol half a crank and it fired right up lol I had the stock one rebuilt and it was less then the reman one that didn't work.....

Well I just found out my girls car will be done in about 2 weeks so mine will be going in right after....Woot can't wait. normally I would do the work myself but since I work 2 jobs and only have one day off a week it would take forever to get done so off to the shop it goes.....

Jeremy AFeb 21, 2012, 8:01 pm · #281

Sweet,  what tires are you going with?  And which shop are you going to have the work done at?  What are they gonna work on?

sideways_s12Feb 21, 2012, 8:56 pm · #282

tires are gonna be kumho estas for now and shop is trevtec and it's getting a rebuild along with my 60 trim going on cam gears wideband safc and fpr with 450cc injectors unless I can find some 650cc or 750cc injectors......

sideways_s12Feb 22, 2012, 9:29 pm · #283

Got all new tires today woot the ride feels some much better and I don't need an alignment because it was the shitty tires that were causing it to pull to the left....but I fear the *USED* t25g I got is going I get smoke on start up and on hard accel but cruising speeds im fine so hopefully this next week goes by quick so we can get kendras car back and mine can go in....

seishukuFeb 22, 2012, 9:49 pm · #284

Maybe a restricted oil return?

I'm still surprised that my used T25 isn't dead yet... Doesn't even have any oil seepage.

decoFeb 25, 2012, 8:02 pm · #285

let me know how he does with the 18det, the man is insane when it comes to the 4g63t, and i have been told the same goes for the sr, but id like to see what he can do with your det, maybe ill show him a lil love when your done.........

sideways_s12Feb 25, 2012, 11:18 pm · #286

He's already built a 10sec ca18det that's daily driven.....I'm only getting a stock rebuild for the time being but gonna run my 60 trim and all the other goodies i got.....

sideways_s12Mar 5, 2012, 5:52 pm · #287

lil update popped the motor lol not sure how but im positive its rings..on the number 4 cylinder oh well she sits till its time to go to the shop....

sideways_s12Apr 24, 2012, 12:38 am · #288

Little update my build is back on found a sec job so it puts me making what i was making before I lost target so that's awesome but I decided instead of taking it to the shop I'm going to rebuild it myself and also it's not going to be a stock rebuild any longer I'm going all out lol well close to it....

BattleFairyApr 24, 2012, 1:12 am · #289

sooooooo many pages sooooooooo less s12 pics or work

sideways_s12Apr 28, 2012, 9:15 pm · #290

Lol yeah I know I been dealing with lot of stuff but soon as I start there will be plenty of pics

Johnny_boiMay 4, 2012, 1:15 pm · #291

want more pics

sideways_s12May 9, 2012, 2:33 am · #292

Hopefully with this ot I been getting ill beable to get an enginge hoist...then I can pull the motor and get it on the stand.... Cant wait !

sideways_s12May 27, 2012, 6:30 pm · #293

Got some stuff coming for the car was going to use the top mount tubular mani I got but instead im going with a log style still kinda debating if I want to build it myself or let a shop do it I have to buy an engine hoist it would be slightly quicker with the shop and if  anything broke I could take it back to him and hed fix it. But on the other hand I have  never fully built a motor myself. So im at an crossroads

ArroMay 27, 2012, 8:40 pm · #294

Building an engine is more than just having a place to work on a car. There are some specialized tools you will need and the know-how to use them (meaning someone should probably show you). Simply reading instructions on the use of certain special tools isn't going to give you the same results as someone in-the-know showing you some tips and tricks to understand what possible mistakes to avoid and what techniques you can use to improve results with specialized tools.

Specialized tools for engine assembly can be anything like torque wrenches (yes, you'll need at least two different sizes and not the cheapo generic ones -- go with Matco or Snapon and ALWAYS unbind the spring after every use, or have someone else build your engines), tap and dye set (for removing stuck and broken studs and bolts), and others.

Also, there is only so much you can do out of a home garage. You can sometimes get away with using a bottle hone, for example, on an engine that has very good condition cylinder walls, but an engine with scored cylinder walls will need to be bored, not honed. That means a competent machine shop to do the work. Determining if a cylinder wall is honable or needs to be bored takes some experience, and internet pictures of either scenario won't help as well as someone with a trained eye who has seen both conditions firsthand (meaning you need a friend to show you on your engine). Only honing a cylinder that needs to be bored will result in poor ring sealing between the piston and the cylinder walls... that means oil blowby, which is bad for a number of reasons that are a discussion in of themselves. The other side of this is to bore out cylinders isn't cheap if done by a trustworthy shop, and with an inline engine (especially an inline six) there is a chance that the boring process could produce a slightly out-of-round result... hone plates are used to prevent this, but that incurs more cost.

Also, a factory service manual and a full understanding of how to use torque specs and procedures is important. On some engines, certain parts require removal of bolts in a certain order, as well as replacement in the same order (to the proper torque specs). In other situations, there is the experience of knowing how much assembly grease is good to use (again, a friend with some experience is invaluable with that) or how big/small of a gasket bead to squirt onto a surface (again, more experience).

Finally, there are helpful habits that must be learned, such as labelling (or photographing) where certain wires, bolts, brackets, and clips go as you remove them, and keeping things organized in jars, silverware trays, or whatever else lets you avoid losing small fasteners. While this might seem like common sense to you (and many others who try their hand at building an engine), it often gets forgotten in the excitement of a tear-down. It's not just about common sense, but about habits. Again, a friend with some experience will be helpful in reminding you and getting you into the right habits, while making sure you're on the right track with all the other little things.

Plus, having an experienced friend means if you run into a problem, chances are they can help you solve it based on previous experience with a similar issue. And of course, an extra pair of hands is never a bad thing.

Just keep this in mind: building your own motor is a serious commitment for a first-time thing. For those who've done it a dozen or more times, it's still a lengthy process, and like a work of art it takes more than a day or even a weekend to do it right. For a newbie, it may even take longer, as the unexpected and the stubbornly stuck parts will take your original guestimate of time and multiply it greatly (even exponentially).

Engine building isn't for everyone. But if you have the time (a LOT of time), the patience (a LOT of patience), the tools (a LOT of tools including some oddball ones you didn't plan on initially needing), and the money (because often times the only solutions to unexpected problems in engine building are to spend money on an unplanned tool, unplanned part, or unplanned machine shop work)... if all that is fine for you, then it is rewarding, and often times it can save you a lot of money while letting you get a level of quality that is in YOUR hands.

There's something to think about ;)

sideways_s12May 27, 2012, 11:31 pm · #295

I totally understand where your coming from. Also I took autotech in high school I have a good understandimg of things and how they work. As far as machine work goes I wont be doing it myself that would go to a machine shop where they have to the tools I dont to bore or hone depending on what it needs. Basically I would be disassembling ordering parts and assembling the motor after machining...

sideways_s12Jun 5, 2012, 7:26 pm · #296

Welp priced my rebuild and it looks I'll be doing the rebuild myself....If the wifey would hurry up and get home I can go buy an engine hoist and get started....

sideways_s12Jun 7, 2012, 3:12 am · #297

Acquired an engine hoist lol took me like 3 hours to assemble it because harbor freight Sux and nothing would line up and it was missing bolts wtf? Anyway got the rad pulled and unhooked everything that would keep the motor from being pulled. All I need to do is drain the oil and Trans unbolt the mounts and the motor will be out.

ArroJun 7, 2012, 12:51 pm · #298

You have an engine stand right? I usually drain the oil once it's out of the car, but meh... it's preference. You might have a bit of trouble getting the input shaft out of the trans... lots of yanking tends to jolt it loose. Every now and then one just comes out smoothly, but every time I've done it the shaft is stuck a bit in the trans. Also, have someone help you keep it stable as you tilt and remove the motor/trans... you need someone to jack the pump while the other person keeps ahold of the engine to prevent it from banging into shit, and to make sure the trans doesn't get stuck.

You better get someone to take pics! Wanna see you pull this bitch :thumbsup:

sideways_s12Jun 7, 2012, 9:07 pm · #299

Well im pulling the motor and Trans as a unit its easier to me that way and ive never had a problem and yea I have an engine stand im going to drain it while I unbolt all the other BS holding it in...

ArroJun 8, 2012, 3:19 pm · #300

The first time it surprised me how easy these engine/trans combos are to pull in these cars.. having pulled many FWD engine/trans combos, it's way easier in the S12.